Your opinions for a first-timer to California Adventure

Nicole220

Wow! It's been open for six years and it's still incredibly boring. :lol: In 1995, MGM was 6 years old. Sunset Blvd and the Tower of Terror had already been open for almost a year by that point. Those additions definitely elevated (no pun intended) an already outstanding park.

MGM has been slipping in recent years, no question about it. Yet it still blows DCA out of the water.
Why do you have to continue to be so negative toward DCA?? Can you please stop? You've given us your opinion, and so have we. The OP would like some suggestions on the park, I don't think they want to continue to read about how "bad' and "boring" it is. We have given our suggestions, and you continue to bash them. Each of us has our own opinion, but I think you have gone to far...

Rufus T Firefly

Well clearly you enjoy repetition and things that are familiar. It sounds a little bit like you're not the type of individual who enjoys the thrill of trying new things. That said, it makes perfect sense that DCA would be the ideal park for you. Nearly everything that exists there is stuff you can find at other Disney parks. Additionally, it has the most non-Disney rides of any Disney park (i.e. ferris wheel, swing ride, wild mouse coaster, kiddie carnival rides, etc). It is, without question, the most unoriginal Disney park...and quite possibly the most unoriginal theme park of all (if you measure that based on unique attractions...or in this case, lack thereof).

Now,now Mickster,

No need to sugar coat it. Tell us all what you really think of DCA.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mickster

Why do you have to continue to be so negative toward DCA?? Can you please stop? You've given us your opinion, and so have we. The OP would like some suggestions on the park, I don't think they want to continue to read about how "bad' and "boring" it is. We have given our suggestions, and you continue to bash them. Each of us has our own opinion, but I think you have gone to far...

DCA doesn't have much to offer. If it did, people wouldn't be recommending tortillas so enthusiastically. That's got to be one of the best indicators of just how dull this park is. I just think the OP deserves to know that.

Rufus T Firefly

DCA doesn't have much to offer. If it did, people wouldn't be recommending tortillas so enthusiastically. That's got to be one of the best indicators of just how dull this park is. I just think the OP deserves to know that.

Maybe, just maybe, people are recommending the tortillas so enthusiastically because they want to have a little fun with you by pulling your leg.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

But, those tortillas are deeelicious.

mickster

Maybe, just maybe, people are recommending the tortillas so enthusiastically because they want to have a little fun with you by pulling your leg.

You know something? That's actually a very good point. It didn't occur to me that people were just kidding around, but that certainly makes a lot more sense than people actually being serious about their overwhelming enthusiasm for tortillas. It did occur to me, though, that maybe the enthusiastic recommendations were intended to somehow "prove" me wrong. You know, something along the lines of "I'll show this guy. I'll prove to the OP that DCA is worthwhile and that it's got original stuff the OP has never experienced. Why...why...it's got....um.....delicious tortillas!! Yeah, that's the ticket!! They're the most incredible tortillas on the planet!! In fact, you're thrown into a state of euphoria with every bite! Matter of fact, skip Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones. Instead, just hang out at the "amazing" Mission Tortilla Factory and enjoy free microscopic slices of tortillas all day long. And these aren't just your basic, run of the mill, everyday tortillas. No sir! These tortillas....are you ready for this?...these tortillas, ....are warmed up!!"

Snapper Bean

Well clearly you enjoy repetition and things that are familiar. It sounds a little bit like you're not the type of individual who enjoys the thrill of trying new things. That said, it makes perfect sense that DCA would be the ideal park for you. Nearly everything that exists there is stuff you can find at other Disney parks. Additionally, it has the most non-Disney rides of any Disney park (i.e. ferris wheel, swing ride, wild mouse coaster, kiddie carnival rides, etc). It is, without question, the most unoriginal Disney park...and quite possibly the most unoriginal theme park of all (if you measure that based on unique attractions...or in this case, lack thereof).

Under your premise, once you've attended Magic Kingdom once, there is never any reason to go back except to experience the one new ride that they add every 3 years and then the rest of the park other than the single new ride is pretty much worthless. I think you'll find the average poster on this site doesn't return to the park only when there is a new ride.

When you are at DCA, the nearest "Its Tough To Be A Bug" is 2500 miles away, same for Soarin' Not sure why DCA gets marked down for this but obviously you've convinced yourself that it does. In all events I hope the original poster has a nice trip.

mickster

Under your premise, once you've attended Magic Kingdom once, there is never any reason to go back except to experience the one new ride that they add every 3 years and then the rest of the park other than the single new ride is pretty much worthless. I think you'll find the average poster on this site doesn't return to the park only when there is a new ride.

This reminds me of some of the employees at my company who, whenever I have to explain policies to them, they try to catch some loophole or technicality, but they phrase it as though they are innocently asking a legitimate question. I have no doubt you're doing the exact same thing. I believe you know full well that what you've described here in your post is not what I meant. I'm not saying that a person should never go back to a place and experience things they've experienced before (and again, you know that's not what I'm saying). However, I don't think you've paid very close attention to the OP's situation. She is only going to be there for a few days. She also has stated that she has been to WDW countless times, but has never been to Disneyland. Based on this, I'm not going to recommend a bunch of stuff she has seen before as "must sees". I'm also not going to recommend free food samples, like the kind you can get at Costco, as "must sees". This leaves very little to see at DCA, and that's not surprising at all. It's a boring, unoriginal park. Additionally, when you go to a Disney park, you kinda hope that what that park has to offer is going to be at least somewhat unique. Although each of the Disney parks does have something that is either identical or similar to something that can be found in another Disney park, each one overall is still a very unique experience. DCA, on the other hand, is almost entirely a collection of rides that can be found elsewhere. And when I say "elsewhere", I'm not just referring to other Disney parks. There are carnivals that have the same rides as DCA. That fact makes this park even less original.

KevRus

I hope you have a fun time at DCA, OP. :D

Make sure you visit the Animation Building. The Sorcerer's Workshop is a blast and it's really hilarious to record your own voiceovers in Ursula's Grotto. The lobby of the Animation Building is an attraction in itself, and if it's hot outside is a great place to relax for a bit.

Also visit Monsters Inc., a very solid dark ride, and Tower of Terror. I feel that DCA's Tower of Terror is equal to MGM's Tower of Terror in terms of awesomeness. While DCA's may not have as nice an outdoor queue, I think that the boiler room is much more impressive than MGM's.

Soarin' Over California is always fun, and definitely ride Grizzly River Run. I'm kind of baffled by the comments claiming it's the same as Kali....It's basically a whole different ride. The layout is completely different. Unless it's freezing cold, don't miss Grizzly. After all, it is the icon of DCA. :p

Grab a bite to eat at one of the many delicious restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf, and definitely stop by Mission Tortilla Factory, the tortillas are deeeelicios. :D

I really think you should work up the nerve to ride California Screamin', it really is a fantastic ride. The Sun Wheel gives great views of all of Disneyland Resort.

Whelp, I hope you have fun at DCA, it really is a great park :]

Nicole220

I hope you have a fun time at DCA, OP. :D

Make sure you visit the Animation Building. The Sorcerer's Workshop is a blast and it's really hilarious to record your own voiceovers in Ursula's Grotto. The lobby of the Animation Building is an attraction in itself, and if it's hot outside is a great place to relax for a bit.

Also visit Monsters Inc., a very solid dark ride, and Tower of Terror. I feel that DCA's Tower of Terror is equal to MGM's Tower of Terror in terms of awesomeness. While DCA's may not have as nice an outdoor queue, I think that the boiler room is much more impressive than MGM's.

Soarin' Over California is always fun, and definitely ride Grizzly River Run. I'm kind of baffled by the comments claiming it's the same as Kali....It's basically a whole different ride. The layout is completely different. Unless it's freezing cold, don't miss Grizzly. After all, it is the icon of DCA. :p

Grab a bite to eat at one of the many delicious restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf, and definitely stop by Mission Tortilla Factory, the tortillas are deeeelicios. :D

I really think you should work up the nerve to ride California Screamin', it really is a fantastic ride. The Sun Wheel gives great views of all of Disneyland Resort.

Whelp, I hope you have fun at DCA, it really is a great park :]
Totally forgot about that! It is so much fun!! A couple weeks ago, my friends and I spent a good 30-40 minutes recording our voices.

mickster

Totally forgot about that! It is so much fun!! A couple weeks ago, my friends and I spent a good 30-40 minutes recording our voices.

It is fun. Not sure it's worth 30-40 minutes of fun, but it's fun nonetheless. Of course,...and this will come as a huge shock.....they already have this at MGM so we can add this to the list of things that aren't unique to DCA.

Nicole220

It is fun. Not sure it's worth 30-40 minutes of fun, but it's fun nonetheless. Of course,...and this will come as a huge shock.....they already have this at MGM so we can add this to the list of things that aren't unique to DCA.
I don't normally spend that long there. But no one was in there and we were in a weird mood that day.

The Mom

Premium Member
mickster, if you reread the OP, it's clear that he/she IS going to DCA, regardless of anyone else's opinion.

The OP is just looking for suggestions from those who have actually ENJOYED certain attractions, and those who found some disappointing. BUT, the OP WILL be in the park, and if he/she follows your reccomendations, should just sit on a bench and take a nap all day. :ROFLOL:

You've made it quite clear that you wouldn't bother to visit the park at all. So be it. But unless you have some positive suggestions as to what people can do to pleasantly pass the time, if they find themselves there despite your warnings to the avoid it, please stop responding.

isitingood

mickster, if you reread the OP, it's clear that he/she IS going to DCA, regardless of anyone else's opinion.

The OP is just looking for suggestions from those who have actually ENJOYED certain attractions, and those who found some disappointing. BUT, the OP WILL be in the park, and if he/she follows your reccomendations, should just sit on a bench and take a nap all day. :ROFLOL:

You've made it quite clear that you wouldn't bother to visit the park at all. So be it. But unless you have some positive suggestions as to what people can do to pleasantly pass the time, if they find themselves there despite your warnings to the avoid it, please stop responding.

Thanks Mom well said

Nicole220

Thank You!!

mickster

I'm aware the OP is planning to visit DCA (I don't need to re-read her post to know that). I also don't blame her for wanting to visit. I would want to also if I were traveling across the country and had never been. But the point is, she did ask for advice and that's what I'm providing to her. The problem is that I think people are giving her the impression that it's an all-day park. I don't believe it is, especially considering most of the attractions are ones that she's experienced already at WDW (where she's been many times). Since she's there for a limited time and has never been to Disneyland at all, I feel I'd be remiss in not strongly recommending to her that she plan to spend the vast majority of her time at DL and very little of her time at DCA. I know I would appreciate it if someone gave me similar advice. I think if anyone has failed to read her original post, it's some of the others on this thread who have recommended attractions like Soarin' and It's Tough to be a Bug as "must sees". They seem to have ignored the fact that she said she's been to WDW lot's of times, and would therefore have already experienced these attractions many times.

Also, if you read my earlier posts, I have not told her not to visit DCA at all. I praised Aladdin as one of the best things on property and I also suggested she check out Monsters, Inc. Others on this thread told her to avoid Monsters, Inc., but I suggested she check it out since its one of the few things at DCA that is actually different from what she's seen before. So I'm not completely bashing DCA. I'm just trying to let her know that it's far from being an all day park (or even a half day park in my opinion).

Nicole220

I'm aware the OP is planning to visit DCA (I don't need to re-read her post to know that). I also don't blame her for wanting to visit. I would want to also if I were traveling across the country and had never been. But the point is, she did ask for advice and that's what I'm providing to her. The problem is that I think people are giving her the impression that it's an all-day park. I don't believe it is, especially considering most of the attractions are ones that she's experienced already at WDW (where she's been many times). Since she's there for a limited time and has never been to Disneyland at all, I feel I'd be remiss in not strongly recommending to her that she plan to spend the vast majority of her time at DL and very little of her time at DCA. I know I would appreciate it if someone gave me similar advice. I think if anyone has failed to read her original post, it's some of the others on this thread who have recommended attractions like Soarin' and It's Tough to be a Bug as "must sees". They seem to have ignored the fact that she said she's been to WDW lot's of times, and would therefore have already experienced these attractions many times.

Also, if you read my earlier posts, I have not told her not to visit DCA at all. I praised Aladdin as one of the best things on property and I also suggested she check out Monsters, Inc. Others on this thread told her to avoid Monsters, Inc., but I suggested she check it out since its one of the few things at DCA that is actually different from what she's seen before. So I'm not completely bashing DCA. I'm just trying to let her know that it's far from being an all day park (or even a half day park in my opinion).
Then why do people continue to visit WDW if they've already been on all the attractions many times?? :shrug:

Fried Chicken

it's some of the others on this thread who have recommended attractions like Soarin' and It's Tough to be a Bug as "must sees". They seem to have ignored the fact that she said she's been to WDW lot's of times, and would therefore have already experienced these attractions many times.
Or for that matter why bother going to either park? Why not visit Universal Studios or Six Flags instead? With the logic mickster provided in this post, she might as well skip the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Railroad, Buzz Lightyear, pretty much all of Fantasyland, Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mountain, plus all other clones that happen to be at both Magic Kingdoms.

So I'm not completely bashing DCA.
So you're only bashing it a little?:veryconfu

mickster

Then why do people continue to visit WDW if they've already been on all the attractions many times?? :shrug:

:rolleyes: Okay, well for starters, I've already addressed this question from someone else earlier in this thread. Nevertheless, I'll go ahead and answer it once again and maybe just try to articulate it a little differently this time. Please bear with me, as my response truly is sincere...

The OP (Figment's Friend) started another thread in this section in which she was asking advice about the Disneyland Resort in general. I know you have read that thread because I saw that you posted in it. At the beginning of that thread, the OP stated three things that factored in heavily in the advice I chose to give her: 1. She stated that she is a "long time regular visitor to WDW". 2. She stated that she had never visited Disneyland at all. And 3. She stated that she "will only be there for 2 1/2 days".

Now I don't know about you, but if I had never been to Disneyland and only had 2 1/2 days to see it, I'd want to focus on the things I hadn't done before. I would make the things I had done before a last priority because my time would be so limited. Not knowing any better, I'd probably also plan to visit DCA because I'd be thinking, "Hey, a whole new Disney park I haven't seen". Now given the fact that the majority of the major attractions at DCA are ones that exist at WDW, and also the fact that she stated she is a "long time regular visitor to WDW", my assumption would be that she has already experienced those attractions. Therefore, if it were me, I'd put those attractions at the bottom of the priority list in favor of attractions that would be completely new to me. Realistically, I wouldn't expect to even include them in my itinerary, because there is a lot to see at DL that would likely take up the 2 1/2 days. Since the OP also stated she is not big on thrill rides, that eliminates the only worthwhile (in my opinion) things to see at Paradise Pier. In terms of things that I would personally recommend, that doesn't leave much at DCA. However, I did highly recommend Aladdin, and I also suggested she check out Monsters, Inc. Those are two attractions at DCA that have nothing similar at any of the other Disney parks. I neglected to suggest Golden Dreams which, although it is nothing to write home about, is also something that is unique to DCA. Therefore, she might want to check that out too (but I'd make it a very low priority, in favor of getting to spend more time at DL). And although I personally do love flour tortillas, I think the only real attraction to the Mission Tortilla Factory is the fact that the tortilla samples are free. Nevertheless, I'll agree that if she's going to be in the park anyway, and since it only takes a few minutes, then sure why not stop by for the free snack. But to bill it as a "must see" and build these tortillas up as some sort of spectacular taste sensation (as I feel some people have done) is just silly in my opinion. Because of this, I felt compelled to let the OP know they are just tortillas. As far as the Grizzly River Run is concerned, I do realize there are differences between it and Kali Rapids. However, the two attractions are similar enough, that I would advise making this one a low priority as well. Additionally, there are some who would probably classify this as a thrill ride, and the OP stated she doesn't like thrill rides.

In spite of all this, I've not attempted to talk the OP out of visiting DCA altogether. I realize she's curious to see it, and I would be too if I were her. But the last thing I would want to do to a first time DLR visitor, with extremely limited time and a strong familiarity with WDW, would be to suggest attractions like Soarin', Tower of Terror, Muppets, It's Tough to be a Bug, and others as "must sees". That is just not good advice, in my opinion, when you have a spectacular park just across the way, which she has never visited, and which could easily take the whole 2 1/2 days just to see it.

Now, had the OP never been to WDW before, my recommendations would undoubtedly be quite different. Had that been the case, then I would definitely have recommended Soarin' as a "must see", along with Tower of Terror and several others. Likewise, if she had more than 2 1/2 days to see it, but had already been to WDW as many times as she apparently has, then I would still have suggested she make these attractions a low priority, but I might not have been as emphatic about it. And of course if this were not her first time ever to DL, then I might have suggested a little more time at DCA. And if she liked thrill rides, then I would have recommended she ride Screamin'. It's a decent coaster, even though I object to Paradise Pier as a themed area worthy of the Disney name.

So you see, my goal here was not just to "bash" DCA at every opportunity. Overall, I'm not a fan of this park and I make no secret of that. I also think it's an easy park to make fun of, and that comes through in my posts. I make no apologies for that. It's the least popular Disney park for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who's visited. But my goal here was to consider the conditions under which the OP's visit is taking place, and advise her accordingly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom