your most memorable disney memory

Ravenclaw87

My Disney moment happened on a Disney Cruise...

It was the last night of our 4 night cruise, and I had said goodbye to three amazing friends I had made, along with a boy I had had a simple, sweet, innocent little romance with. I had expected to feel sad, but instead I felt--- happy. Happy to have had such an experience; happy to have been able to feel so safe, and feel so surrounded by the magic of the ocean, as well as the magic of Disney.

I climbed to the top of the ship and walked to the front, where I knew the wind would be wild. I stood there and just let the wind whip in my face. This moment brought me back to the love of Disney that I had experienced when I was a child...

and then I got to spend THREE WEEKS in Disney World. :)

MEBSTinkerbell

has to be my wedding day

I would say my most memorable Disney memory is my wedding to my DH.
It was on 02/02/02 at the Wedding Pavillon. We had our reception at the Grand Floridian and Mickey and Minnie stopped by. (photos http://picasaweb.google.com/mebstinkerbell/PicturesFromOurFairytaleWedding ) We met because of our love of Disney (met through Love@AOL because I searched for Disney) and of course we were married at Disney. We went to Paris for our honeymoon and at the end of our trip we went to the Disneyland Paris Resort for 2 days. We were upgraded to the presidential suite looking right down Main Street at their castle. I have had several memorable visits over the past 25 years including taking each of our sons for the 1st time. I guess right now my 2nd most memorable moment was back in May on a visit to Epcot; we asked our oldest son if he wanted to see Sleeping Beauty. He said yes; as we walked up to Sleeping Beauty my son said that he was going to give Sleeping Beauty a kiss. The character attendant heard my son. He went up to Sleeping Beauty and told her what my son said. Sleeping Beauty bent down to put her head on the bench as if she were sleeping. My son went up and gave her a kiss to wake her up! It was so cute (yes I have it on video) My son was so proud of his kiss. ( http://picasaweb.google.com/mebstinkerbell/FlowerAndGardenFestival07052507 )

Of course everyone remembers the 1st time they see the castle too! (1984)

vs6191

I am another first poster but couldn't resist adding to this thread. My fondest memories are from the first time we took my son (then 8) to WDW in 2004. My husband and I had been several times and even honeymooned at the Grand Floridian but then fell on some hard financial times and couldn't get back to the World for 10 years. Just seeing the Castle with my son and knowing that we had made it thru the hard times and were able to share our love of Disney with him was definitely magical! Adding to it was the fact that it was 4th of July. We were in front of the Castle standing on the benches that used to be there with him in front of me. It was a first for me seeing the surround fireworks and with the patriotic music I was already crying when they played the "Star Spangled Banner". I looked down at my son who had removed his hat and placed his hand over his heart. He was singing as loud as he could while the fireworks blazed overhead. I am teary as I type this remembering that very special memory. We have been lucky enough to go back each year since then and will be going next month, but I don't know that anything will ever top that moment for me!

Well I would have to say FEBRUARY 14th of this year when I triple surprised my none fiancée and proposed to her at CRT. Surprised her first with a 1 day park hopper pass, then the second surprise was a Leave a Legacy Plate and then the third and final surprise was Dinner at CRT and THE PROPOSAL IT WAS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE. Course I couldn't get out the speech I had prepared because I froze up when everyone in CRT was watching me, wow thats alot of pressure.

Nemo14

I am another first poster but couldn't resist adding to this thread. My fondest memories are from the first time we took my son (then 8) to WDW in 2004. My husband and I had been several times and even honeymooned at the Grand Floridian but then fell on some hard financial times and couldn't get back to the World for 10 years. Just seeing the Castle with my son and knowing that we had made it thru the hard times and were able to share our love of Disney with him was definitely magical! Adding to it was the fact that it was 4th of July. We were in front of the Castle standing on the benches that used to be there with him in front of me. It was a first for me seeing the surround fireworks and with the patriotic music I was already crying when they played the "Star Spangled Banner". I looked down at my son who had removed his hat and placed his hand over his heart. He was singing as loud as he could while the fireworks blazed overhead. I am teary as I type this remembering that very special memory. We have been lucky enough to go back each year since then and will be going next month, but I don't know that anything will ever top that moment for me!
I got goosebumps just reading that!

BTW, Welcome!

jiminy.cricket

October of 2003 I felt like we’d been so often the magic was dissipating. I thought perhaps visiting the Disney resort hotels might bring some of it back (we’d never stayed at any of them) so my parents humored me and my sisters were dragged along resort-hopping. So our last stop was the Grand Floridian and I was so excited. We almost didn’t go because my youngest sister was really hungry, but we went in and started taking pictures. Then my family was approached by DCL CMs who were supposed to have a private viewing of the premiere of Wishes, which I wasn't expecting to see until our next trip. We joined them on a pontoon boat and they got snacks for my sister and we watched the show from Bay Lake. It was awesome and I saw the Electrical Water Pageant which I hadn’t seen before, and the guy who did the voice of the monorail was there. It was magical! That made our trip and is the short, least boring version. I wonder if I could still write a letter to Guest Relations. I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it.

sweetpee_1993

Disney holds a lot of special memories for me, too. The DH swears my attachment is because when I was growing up the times I went to WDW were some of the best, warmest memories I have. It's an emotional thing.

I have tons of magical memories. Like so many others, a lot of it blends together over the years. For a long time all my DH's family have thought I'm a big knut for my fixation with all things Disney. But one trip, one moment really stands out to me because it really made the magic so clear. It was incredible.

The year or so before Hurricane Katrina the DH and I had been thru a lot of problems within our relationship. During the the summer before the storm we had really been working hard trying to get things straight again. When the storm hit I was working as a communications supervisor for the Sheriff's office in St. Tammany Parish which is north of Lake Pontchartrain, north of New Orleans. As essential personnel I was required to stay and work thru the disaster. The DH and my 2 sons evacuated. It was several days after the storm before I was able to get in touch with any family to let them know I was okay. I didn't get to see my children for more than 3 weeks because it just wasn't safe to bring them home and I was working every day very long shifts. After everything was over with, we decided as a family that we just couldn't go thru that again. The trauma of it all put a lot into perspective. I quit the job and cashed out my pension.

The cash made our previous Disney plans more solid for February 2006. We even decided to surprise my in-laws for Christmas with paid hotel reservations in a room adjoining ours (on property, of course) and park-hopper passes so they could go see the magic for the 1st time with us. They had done so much in those difficult months before, during, and after the hurricane. It was the right thing to do. I bought them books and information so they could have some insight when they got there. I can imagine if you've never been, WDW can be pretty intimidating.

So the day came when my in-laws arrived at WDW for the very first time. Even the DH was itching with excitement to see first-timers and how they react. My ma-in-law is a pretty emotional lady on a normal day so I knew it would be interesting. It was a beautiful sunny morning when we took them to the MK. We walked under the train station and emerged out onto Main St. Mom and Dad were both grinning and looking around in all directions taking it in. My boys had our hands and we headed up Main St. towards the castle and the hub as we had so many times before. As we approached the end of the street I turned around to see if everyone was still together. Dad had his arms wound tight around Mom. She was crying. In that moment it was like being there the first time myself and I began crying. I knew then that she got it, she knew why I had such a connection with this magical place. We all still tell the story of how Mom cried her first time seeing the castle. She doesn't talk about it much but she doesn't need to. I understand.

And just as magical was our last night at WDW that trip, when we were walking out of MK. I was walking up close with the DH holding his hand. I kept turning back and looking at the castle almost afraid I'd look back and it would be gone. Halfway down Main St. when I looked back for about the 10th time he stopped and asked what I kept looking at. I broke into tears and said that I didn't want to leave the magic. After everything we'd been thru, I just needed it. He hugged me tight and assured me it would never go away. And it hasn't.

Thanks to those who started this thread and for everyone who keeps it going. I needed this stuff.

I love Disney Freaks like me...or just other souls that I'm connected to thru this magic that we all understand but nobody can really explain.

Walt would love this stuff. :)

snakeislandboy

My favorite moment is watching Wishes in the Magic Kingdom with my Twin Brother and Sister with our arms around each other.

My twin brother (Josh), sister (Sarah) and I always dreamed of going to Walt Disney world, but my family was poor and we never were able to go as children. Josh was diagnosed with cancer at age 19 and fought a hard fight. He was scheduled to have an intrusive surgery at age 25, so my parents and I scraped up the money for my brother, sister and I to go to Walt Disney World for the first time. I got my Masters Degree, had a good paying job then and could foot the bill. It was January and the park was very slow so it was as almost as if we had the place to ourselves. Even though we were in our 20's we all felt like kids the whole time. I remember that all three of us even shared one teacup (which is Disney magic in it's self.)

I watched my brother deal with cancer and knew all the time it was on his mind, but in Walt Disney World it was different. For the first time in 6 years I could see a different look on his face and a sparkle in his eye. In my heart, Walt Disney World truly is magical place, it's a place where things like cancer don't exist. My brother has passed away, but I go back every year and watch Wishes and imagine my brother there next to me with his arm around me. Thank God for Walt Disney World and for all these wonderful memories.

us.jpg

mickeyandus.jpg

bandtrumpet

Original Poster
sweetpee_1993, That story is amazing. That is exactly the sense of magic that is so special to all of us and it is awesome to see a loved one experience it for the first time.

sarabi

One week into the Disney College Program, hurricane Floyd was headed towards the World. Although it turned and did not end up hitting Orlando, two nights before it came there was a huge sense that it would be big. My roommate from West Palm was murmuring stuff with the word "Andrew" in it.
I'm from the Midwest and this was to be my first hurricane. It sounded like a doozy and it was headed straight for Orlando (in fact, the morning it came, the parks closed for it, so it was a big deal).
Anyway, it was about 36 hours til landfall of the big hurricane and I had visited MK that night. When I left, I went back to the TTC to catch my bus to Vista Way (where the CPs stay). I had stayed out late and now the wind was starting to pick up ever so slightly and everywhere everyone had their weather radios on. Anyway, when my bus pulled in I realized that my pass (which would get me onto the bus and into the apartment complex) had fallen off my lanyard. I had to go into the transportation office and make some calls to security, and Magic Kingdom custodial, and finally roommates who could vouch for me.
While I was in there, two magical things happened. First of all, my roommate, who worked MK Custodial had actually found my pass personally while sweeping and she had it with her (what a great coincidence!). She was coming to get me, so I had to wait a little bit longer in the transportation office while the bus drivers talked about their emergency plans.
I got really nervous and was sitting there looking scared when one of the older bus drivers asked me if I was nervous. I admitted I was and this was my first hurricane. You know what he said?
"I wouldn't worry. Walt is up there watching us. He wouldn't let anything happen to his baby."
Sure enough, Floyd did turn and when I woke up the morning it was supposed it hit, it was just like any other day.
Thanks, Walt.

sarabi

Way back when '84 or so my wife and I made our first trip to EPCOT.This of course was before the all knowing internet and most of the tech goodies we don't think about anymore.
Just seeing SSE for the first time.WOW!
But in all our 40+ trips the one absolute thing I think of most is when the SSE ride car spun around, in my ear Walter Cronkite saying SPACESHIP EARTH, and then there's our sphere up there.
Man I loved that.:D
No tears for mine,but I will ride SSE if I do nothing else every time I'm there.
Still cool to see that even now.

rich

I just had to say SSE was the first ride I ever rode at WDW and I had the same feeling when the car spun around. From that moment on, I knew Disney was different. When I was interning there, if ever I had a bad day and started to doubt the magic, I went and rode SSE. It was a sure cure every time.

cmatt

I just had to say SSE was the first ride I ever rode at WDW and I had the same feeling when the car spun around. From that moment on, I knew Disney was different. When I was interning there, if ever I had a bad day and started to doubt the magic, I went and rode SSE. It was a sure cure every time.

oddly - although i have had the joys of the everso awesome jeremy irons, i have the same feeling :)

Disney holds a lot of special memories for me, too. The DH swears my attachment is because when I was growing up the times I went to WDW were some of the best, warmest memories I have. It's an emotional thing.

I have tons of magical memories. Like so many others, a lot of it blends together over the years. For a long time all my DH's family have thought I'm a big knut for my fixation with all things Disney. But one trip, one moment really stands out to me because it really made the magic so clear. It was incredible.

The year or so before Hurricane Katrina the DH and I had been thru a lot of problems within our relationship. During the the summer before the storm we had really been working hard trying to get things straight again. When the storm hit I was working as a communications supervisor for the Sheriff's office in St. Tammany Parish which is north of Lake Pontchartrain, north of New Orleans. As essential personnel I was required to stay and work thru the disaster. The DH and my 2 sons evacuated. It was several days after the storm before I was able to get in touch with any family to let them know I was okay. I didn't get to see my children for more than 3 weeks because it just wasn't safe to bring them home and I was working every day very long shifts. After everything was over with, we decided as a family that we just couldn't go thru that again. The trauma of it all put a lot into perspective. I quit the job and cashed out my pension.

The cash made our previous Disney plans more solid for February 2006. We even decided to surprise my in-laws for Christmas with paid hotel reservations in a room adjoining ours (on property, of course) and park-hopper passes so they could go see the magic for the 1st time with us. They had done so much in those difficult months before, during, and after the hurricane. It was the right thing to do. I bought them books and information so they could have some insight when they got there. I can imagine if you've never been, WDW can be pretty intimidating.

So the day came when my in-laws arrived at WDW for the very first time. Even the DH was itching with excitement to see first-timers and how they react. My ma-in-law is a pretty emotional lady on a normal day so I knew it would be interesting. It was a beautiful sunny morning when we took them to the MK. We walked under the train station and emerged out onto Main St. Mom and Dad were both grinning and looking around in all directions taking it in. My boys had our hands and we headed up Main St. towards the castle and the hub as we had so many times before. As we approached the end of the street I turned around to see if everyone was still together. Dad had his arms wound tight around Mom. She was crying. In that moment it was like being there the first time myself and I began crying. I knew then that she got it, she knew why I had such a connection with this magical place. We all still tell the story of how Mom cried her first time seeing the castle. She doesn't talk about it much but she doesn't need to. I understand.

And just as magical was our last night at WDW that trip, when we were walking out of MK. I was walking up close with the DH holding his hand. I kept turning back and looking at the castle almost afraid I'd look back and it would be gone. Halfway down Main St. when I looked back for about the 10th time he stopped and asked what I kept looking at. I broke into tears and said that I didn't want to leave the magic. After everything we'd been thru, I just needed it. He hugged me tight and assured me it would never go away. And it hasn't.

Thanks to those who started this thread and for everyone who keeps it going. I needed this stuff.

I love Disney Freaks like me...or just other souls that I'm connected to thru this magic that we all understand but nobody can really explain.

I thought that I had read some emotional stuff in my day, but this takes the cake. I think that everyone knows what it's like to fall on hard times, either with your spouse or financially. But, I will tell you, as someone who still is very deeply in love with her husband, I can totally agree with you that there is something very romantic and emotional about being in the MK at dark, with that beautiful castle lit up that just seems almost movie-esque. To stand there and gaze upon that sight with the one you love is the stuff little girls (and big girls) dreams are made of.:eek:

Craig & Lisa

During our 3rd trip, my younger son had charmed a young lady on the plane, at the end of the flight she had asked if we were on vaca, when she heard we were going to WDW she said she was in the FOLK show. She said that we should tell a CM that we were there, and afterwards we would be taken to the side and she would come out and say hi. Well we were taken where only CM's go and she came out with the whole cast of the show in costume to see us. Including Timon, then she treated us to a picture with the cast and with Mickey and Minnie. Somewhere I've got the polaroids.

disneytopdog

My most memorable Disney had nothing to do with me it was something I witnessed. I was dining at Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge. There was an older couple sitting at the table behind me. A lady came in and I heard her say to the couple. "shes in the bathroom and she has no idea"

A few seconds later I heard this little girl scream "Pap-pap, Grandma" and run past my table. She was maybe 6 or 7. She started crying, the grandparents, parents, waitress were crying. I started crying(yes I am a big baby). The mother smiled at us and apologized for the ruckus. She added that she has not seen her grandparents in a few years since the family moved away from them. She just sat in he Pap-Paps lap and would not let go of him. It was so magic it just made the trip.

As we left the restaurant, I had the waitress take a bottle of wine to the table and tried to get the girls desert. But they were on the dining plan.

Ravenclaw87

My favorite moment is watching Wishes in the Magic Kingdom with my Twin Brother and Sister with our arms around each other.

My twin brother (Josh), sister (Sarah) and I always dreamed of going to Walt Disney world, but my family was poor and we never were able to go as children. Josh was diagnosed with cancer at age 19 and fought a hard fight. He was scheduled to have an intrusive surgery at age 25, so my parents and I scraped up the money for my brother, sister and I to go to Walt Disney World for the first time. I got my Masters Degree, had a good paying job then and could foot the bill. It was January and the park was very slow so it was as almost as if we had the place to ourselves. Even though we were in our 20's we all felt like kids the whole time. I remember that all three of us even shared one teacup (which is Disney magic in it's self.)

I watched my brother deal with cancer and knew all the time it was on his mind, but in Walt Disney World it was different. For the first time in 6 years I could see a different look on his face and a sparkle in his eye. In my heart, Walt Disney World truly is magical place, it's a place where things like cancer don't exist. My brother has passed away, but I go back every year and watch Wishes and imagine my brother there next to me with his arm around me. Thank God for Walt Disney World and for all these wonderful memories.

[I cropped the pictures as not to flood the page]

That's such a touching story... I'm so glad you have that memory.

Pocamahontas

You madamme,
are the eptiome.

Amazing story. Thanks so much for sharing it.
And I couldn't agree with you more...
He'd love it.

Damien666

Hmm...while I have had plenty of memorable moments all over WDW, a good amount of them happened over at Epcot!

The entire ride of SSE was truly memorable for me, it's probably one of the few Disney attractions that never failed to give me goosebumps. It was quite easy to do so with

1. The great narration by Jermey Irons. (I adored his voice ever since I saw the Lion King.)

and 2. The wonderful soundtrack that truly shines especially at the finale.

When I came over to WDW for Magic Music Days, I probably had the best day at Epcot with my friends. That was the day I finally tried the "oh-so-lovely" Beverly, along with marathoning M:S 14 times with crazy antics.

I have to say if you get a pair of Brits that have Tourette's Syndrom on M:S, you can have one very funny ride! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom