your most memorable disney memory

Mr Starky

Memories

The experience of taking people who have never been...I have taken several adults and I love watching them turn into kids.

I was lucky enough to take my (now) wife for her first trip. She always said "I don't understand why you like Disney so much" and I got to show her and "convert" her. She is now interested in buying into DVC :D

When my wife and I were still in the process of planning our Honeymoon. We went to a travel agent. We had already agreed that we would go to a tropical island. We ended up choosing Aruba. While talking to the agent I suggested, NONCHALANTLY :lol:, that we should go to WDW. My wife said OK I guess. She had never been there. I told her nothing about what it was like. I remember the dissapointed look on her face and the sigh in her voice when we were getting rady to take off from Aruba. I asked her, "what's wrong"? She answered, "I feel like our Honeymoon is over. Again, not letting her know anything about the magical surroundings of Walt's World I said nothing. I simply consoled her. You see my wife had imagined WDW to be like Six Flags in NJ. I like Six Flags but the experiance is completely different. It simply doesn't have the ambiance of WDW. We were scheduled to stay for 5 nights 6 days. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom just as it got dark. I walked my wife into the Magic Kingdom for the first time with all the lights on and the castle lit up, etc etc etc. I watched as her jaw dropped and the tears welled up in her eyes. As she put her hands over her mouth so that no one would hear her cry. I walked over to her and wispered into her ear, "Welcome to Walt Disney world Honey". We ended up staying an extra night and day. The last night we were to be there we were standing in front of the castle right after Fantasy in the sky (1995). I asked her if she wanted to stay one more night. She cried again and said yes. Yes it was a magical Honeymoon memory in the making. As only WDW could have helped it be.

When my wife and I were still in the process of planning our Honeymoon. We went to a travel agent. We had already agreed that we would go to a tropical island. We ended up choosing Aruba. While talking to the agent I suggested, NONCHALANTLY :lol:, that we should go to WDW. My wife said OK I guess. She had never been there. I told her nothing about what it was like. I remember the dissapointed look on her face and the sigh in her voice when we were getting rady to take off from Aruba. I asked her, "what's wrong"? She answered, "I feel like our Honeymoon is over. Again, not letting her know anything about the magical surroundings of Walt's World I said nothing. I simply consoled her. You see my wife had imagined WDW to be like Six Flags in NJ. I like Six Flags but the experiance is completely different. It simply doesn't have the ambiance of WDW. We were scheduled to stay for 5 nights 6 days. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom just as it got dark. I walked my wife into the Magic Kingdom for the first time with all the lights on and the castle lit up, etc etc etc. I watched as her jaw dropped and the tears welled up in her eyes. As she put her hands over her mouth so that no one would hear her cry. I walked over to her and wispered into her ear, "Welcome to Walt Disney world Honey". We ended up staying an extra night and day. The last night we were to be there we were standing in front of the castle right after Fantasy in the sky (1995). I asked her if she wanted to stay one more night. She cried again and said yes. Yes it was a magical Honeymoon memory in the making. As only WDW could have helped it be.
That's great Mr. Starky! My wife also had no idea that Disney was about. My family was staying on site for the first time in 2001 at the Contemporary. We had just got back from Jamaica and when I heard where they were staying I had to go. My wife was Disney bashing the whole way down. She was bashing right up until she turned onto main street and saw the castle for the first time and stopped dead in her tracks and said WOW! Now she is a Disneyholic liek me :wave:

sandman50

Way back when '84 or so my wife and I made our first trip to EPCOT.This of course was before the all knowing internet and most of the tech goodies we don't think about anymore.
Just seeing SSE for the first time.WOW!
But in all our 40+ trips the one absolute thing I think of most is when the SSE ride car spun around, in my ear Walter Cronkite saying SPACESHIP EARTH, and then there's our sphere up there.
Man I loved that.:D
No tears for mine,but I will ride SSE if I do nothing else every time I'm there.
Still cool to see that even now.

rich

k.snappx16

My most memorable momoent in WDW was july 4 2006. My aunt lives in Fla so i never reall get to see her and my new baby cousin. She came down july 3 only planning on staying for the day. The end of the day cam and we had to say goodbye. We were both crying knowing we wouldnt see each other for another couple months or even a year. We had to go out to dinner that night and my mom told her she could stay in the room as long as needed. We came back from dinner and there was a note on my bed saying that she missed me already and cant wait til the next time. Little did I know the next time was the next day. July 4. She came and woke m up at 7:30 so we could go to magic kingdom bfore everyone else in our group got there even though it was only like 10 mins. Those were the best ten minutes ive ever spent with her. :)

Now im goin in oct and she will be coming down to visit for only a day. It will prolly be even better then the first time. Nothing can replace that day though....:animwink:

K Snapp:king:

LadyM

well i'd have to say that the most magical moment was when i was heading toward Tomorrow Land from POTC and i saw Jack Sparrow!! CAPTAIN *sorry* captain Jack Sparrow. I flipped out because anyone who looks that close to johnny depp is way up there on my list....

:sohappy: :sohappy:

LOL! I've never been to WDW, but I am willing to bet I'd have the same reaction... gotta love Captain Jack.. ;)

ZapperZ

I am totally bumping up this thread in the hope that there will be others who will add to this, especially if you missed it in its first go-around. I love reading the existing posts and it is something I truly associate with Disney.

Zz.

~Tinkerbell~

I love reading this thread! :)

Anyway, I think the most memorable moment was when I first saw the Castle the first time I went in 2005. It was so beautiful! All of a sudden I felt sooo happy - I was so glad I was there! :D

Oh man, I could never pick just one. Disney has been such a huge part of my life that that would be impossible. I led off Spectro and marched down Main St as a member of my hs marching band, I rose out of the floor at Cosmic Rays with my jazz band, performed in Future World with concert band, have taken 11 vacations with my family, extended family, and friends, gone on two Disney cruises, and spent 8 months working at the Emporium on the College Program, to name a few things. But this is a moment (actually two moments) that really stands out because it showed me just how much Disney means to me.

I just finished the Spring Advantage College Program in August...three or four days before the end of my program, it was my very last day off, and I spent the day at MK with friends, and we all watched Wishes together from the street for the last time. I had the opportunity to watch it every single night from backstage on Main Street, but of course, there's nothing like watching it from the hub directly in front of the castle. My friends wanted to get going after the fireworks, but since it was my last night in the park not working, I wanted to stick around. I did what I've been doing with my family for my entire life -- went to the Main St. Bakery for a Tollhouse cookie, and sat down on Main St and just gazed out at the castle, watched the people go by, and reflected on how lucky I was to have had so many dreams come true this year. After awhile, I walked back up to the hub and sat on a bench as people lined up for the 11pm Spectro. I had been fine all through Wishes and up until then, and suddenly, staring at the castle changing colors, I just started sobbing. I don't know if it was because it was my last time sitting there, or because the CP was almost over, or because I was just so in awe of everything that had happened this year, but I sat there by myself crying for a good 20 minutes, and then I called my mom and stayed on the phone with her all through Spectro and for a long time afterwards, and ultimately was one of the last people out of the park, and even as I walked back down a now empty Main Street, I couldn't stop looking back at the castle. That night, I think, sums up how I feel about Disney. It has a more powerful grip on me than anything in the world, and even now, 6 weeks later, I still miss it like crazy.

The last night of work, a manager at the Emporium took us all up on the roof to watch Wishes, and afterwards, we could barely compose ourselves to go back on the floor. Several of us, myself included, were still crying when we went back out there, and there were still guests in the store. I've never been happy about the end of a Disney trip, but this hit me so much harder than ever before. I truly feel home at WDW...goes to show you what a special place Walt created.

bandtrumpet

Original Poster
Oh man, I could never pick just one. Disney has been such a huge part of my life that that would be impossible. I led off Spectro and marched down Main St as a member of my hs marching band, I rose out of the floor at Cosmic Rays with my jazz band, performed in Future World with concert band, have taken 11 vacations with my family, extended family, and friends, gone on two Disney cruises, and spent 8 months working at the Emporium on the College Program, to name a few things. But this is a moment (actually two moments) that really stands out because it showed me just how much Disney means to me.

I just finished the Spring Advantage College Program in August...three or four days before the end of my program, it was my very last day off, and I spent the day at MK with friends, and we all watched Wishes together from the street for the last time. I had the opportunity to watch it every single night from backstage on Main Street, but of course, there's nothing like watching it from the hub directly in front of the castle. My friends wanted to get going after the fireworks, but since it was my last night in the park not working, I wanted to stick around. I did what I've been doing with my family for my entire life -- went to the Main St. Bakery for a Tollhouse cookie, and sat down on Main St and just gazed out at the castle, watched the people go by, and reflected on how lucky I was to have had so many dreams come true this year. After awhile, I walked back up to the hub and sat on a bench as people lined up for the 11pm Spectro. I had been fine all through Wishes and up until then, and suddenly, staring at the castle changing colors, I just started sobbing. I don't know if it was because it was my last time sitting there, or because the CP was almost over, or because I was just so in awe of everything that had happened this year, but I sat there by myself crying for a good 20 minutes, and then I called my mom and stayed on the phone with her all through Spectro and for a long time afterwards, and ultimately was one of the last people out of the park, and even as I walked back down a now empty Main Street, I couldn't stop looking back at the castle. That night, I think, sums up how I feel about Disney. It has a more powerful grip on me than anything in the world, and even now, 6 weeks later, I still miss it like crazy.

The last night of work, a manager at the Emporium took us all up on the roof to watch Wishes, and afterwards, we could barely compose ourselves to go back on the floor. Several of us, myself included, were still crying when we went back out there, and there were still guests in the store. I've never been happy about the end of a Disney trip, but this hit me so much harder than ever before. I truly feel home at WDW...goes to show you what a special place Walt created.

Wow sounds incredable!

bandtrumpet

Original Poster
I have resently had a visit to WDW and am backing up my OP that the castle gave me chills every time i saw it!:D
Sorry for bumping

ZapperZ

Thanks for bumping it, bandtrumpet. Hopefully, more people will see it and post their stories. I read this thread often.

Zz.

jedeye18

June '06 was our first trip with the kids (we hadn't been to Disney for about 6 years). Walking into MK that first day of vacation and watching the faces of my 6 yr old and 4 yr old sons when they saw the castle. Wife and I both teared up. We went back again this past June and once again, their jaws dropped. The oldest wants to know why we don't just move into the castle!

Pocamahontas

I don't think my story can compete with durangojim, especially since no one was conceived during my special moment :), but in any case, here it is.

This was about 2 years ago. It was one of those wet, raining evening at The Magic Kingdom. You knew, even by late afternoon, that it was going to be rainy. We still didn't leave because we wanted to watch Wishes, and there were people in our party that hasn't seen it before. So we were determine to stay, armed with our ponchos. I asked one of the cast members to see if Wishes would still go on if it only rains and not not have high winds and stuff. He said yes, it will still go on if it only rains. So that made us want to stay even more.

Our group decided to watch it from a covered area in Tomorrowland right before the bridge. However, having seen it many times before, I knew that I the best place was still right at the end of Main Street by the circle. So I told everyone that when it was going to start, I'm going to walk up there and see Wishes from that spot, and to meet each other afterwards. The rain has started to come down, not heavily, but still enough for you to get wet. We were all in our ponchos. So when it was getting close to the starting time, I walked out into the rain and stood at my favorite spot.

Wishes went on schedule. There weas no Tink flying off from the castle, but the rest was as spectacular as ever. Due to the rain, it wasn't crowded at all, but there were still quite a few people standing out there in the rain with me. As I was being dazzled by the fireworks and listening to the music, something just clicked in my head. Here I was, standing there by myself, rain pouring on my face and seeping under my poncho, being aware that I'm getting soaked, with my shoes completely wet, and I realized that at that moment in time, there was no where else that I'd rather be than right there. Through the soaring music, I felt goosebumps and my emotion welled up inside me, and I couldn't tell if I shed a tear or not since my face was already soaking wet.

It was at that point that I knew that this "connection" that I have with this place was something unusual, and wasn't something fleeting. The realization that even soaking wet, I was still happy where I was at, convinced me that for the rest of my life, I will keep coming back.

I have never forgotten that moment, because among other things, it was the impetus for us buying into the DVC. But more than anything else, it was my own self-realization how much WDW has affected me, and how much it has meant to me.

Zz.

I second the "you just made me cry" comment.
Mannnn that's amazing.

Pocamahontas

This can't top a lot of those that I've read on here..but here it is

I'm in my senior year of high school (I'm a freshman in college now...so this is really not too long ago) and it's 'very late late January,' (the 25th I believe) and I'm with a small group of guys..and we're going to the Pirate and Princess Party. And we're all Disney fanatics...the lot of us. And we go, and dress up, and I've got a tiara and the boys have pirate hats. And we're all smiles on the way there.

Well it's freezing (to us Floridians anyway) and we're lovin' it, all bundled up. And we're walking around and there is this huge plethora of people, from kids, to parents, to Adults..and everyone is dressed up! The whole park (MK) is practically empty and we feel on top of the world.

Well, the night was great and all but the reason it's my favorite is that one of the guys I was with that night I had this insanely huge crush on. And well, it was one of those things where I didn't think he knew I existed outside of the "friend zone" and was trying to pretend it didnt' bother me. But I noticed, that no matter where we were standing in line...he and I'd always ride together. At one point he even skipped 2 people without me even noticing.
Well that night, we watched this amazinggg fireworks show and being an incredible fan of fireworks it was needlesstosay the cherry on the cake a greatt evening.

Butt it gets better. I'm getting a ride with this guy, and after Disney i'm always this weird combination of drunk with tiredness and brave with childish ambition, and well...I tend to babble (especially when I'm feeling brave). I basically spilled my heart out on that ride home, and he was kind of quite for a bit, and then he held my hand. It seems minor in comparison to an elaborate proposal but to me...it was amazing.

I couldn't stop smiling for days, and because of complicated situations (high school couples and what not) we didn't exactly fall into each others arms for a bit. But I'm very happy to report that he is my wonderful boyfriend now and that we've gone to Disney about twice a month since. He gets all of it. From head to toe..and that night is what really started it all. There are other days that have been equal, if not better than that..but I can't stop thinking about how much I love Pirate and Princess parties.

Ever since I was a little girl I've believed the saying "someday my prince will come"...and well he really really has, and at Disney World no less. I couldn't of asked for it any better.

Jeeze I love this place.

Jesùs_Carioca

I've known my girlfriend for quite a bit now...she's the most amazing girl that I could've asked for with a love for Disney about THIS CLOSE to topping mine... and you really don't know how much that is saying. I'd share pictures with this girl...stories of rides and shows and fireworks and past memories back and forth with her. She loves Walt and everything he believed in... she scoffs at "Disney Classic" sequels and goes into the most pensive mood when she goes up and down the aisles of "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream" with me at MGM as if it were the most beautiful Museum within Florida itself.

Amazingly though, for a girl that loves it all so much, so much to even work there, you wouldn't believe how much she has yet to do in that Park... many of which I "made her go to" (meaning...she wanted to, she just needed an excuse of a person to go with), such as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and even Fantasmic AND Illuminations! (she must not get out).

But the one thing She'd refuse to do ever in her life are rollercoasters, not because she is one of those people who you could look at and just say "oh, don't worry, you'll love em after that first time!" but she has a big fear of heights and such attractions that I can't blame her for not going on them. She did Rock N' Roller Coaster once before because of peer pressure from her friends (bad idea) and she refused to ever ever ever ever go on any other Ride, no matter how much her friends or family ask her, for her whole past life.

I would never pressure her into it, I respected it all...until one night, very very late at night when i was going on some horrible Ramble of Songs of the South, I accidentally murmered to her of how Beautiful Splash Mountain really is from the inside, it being the only connection the current masses will ever have with the stories of Brer Rabbit and Bear and Fox and Zipadeedoodah, and she tells me that she wants to go on it. Needless to say, i didn't believe her...she must've been equally drunk in sleep deprivation to say something so silly.

Until last Saturday, when there I was with her at Frontierland...and she stops at the crossroad splitting Splash Mountain with the rest of the park...and she says she wants to go on it. We got fastpasses for it, and for the next 2 hours I can do nothing more than worry with the thought of "what have i done to this girl" to make her crazy enough to ride out of everything, Splash Mountain...one of the many roller coasters that she refused to ride for he whole life.

And there I was, out of everybody who's begged and tried to trick her on to this ride... her boyfriend... just some guy who loves disney a lot, convinced her to get on Splash Mountain.

Haha, needless to say it wasn't until we were on the ride when it hit me like an idiot that "wait...she'll be too scared to look at it all." So it the whole ride verged from showing her all of the cool things to trying to COMPLETELY distract her from any and every upcoming fall in the ride.

By the end of it, she seemed like a wreck...and soaked head to toe...and for some reason, i couldn't stop smiling from it. I kept the little ticket they give you at the end of it for your photo as the only proof that she has actually, for the first and only time in her life, ridden Splash Mountain, Because of me.

ZapperZ

I've very glad this thread gets revived. I never grow tired of reading (and re-reading) these wonderful memories and moments.

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom