Your Disney Misconceptions?

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hi all :wave:

Do you guys have or used to have misconceptions or weird ideas about Disney? Something you've believed for so long but not really true? You could have sworn an attraction was in a different location then where it really is?

When I was a kid, the 'D' in the classic Disney logo (http://www.artemisfilms.co.uk/Disney_logo2.jpg) always looked like a backwards cursive 'G' to me and I still see it as that to this day!
I also always think the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is closer to the rest of Fantasyland than it really is.

What's yours?

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
For years my mom and I always got hopelessly lost in the Streets Of America portion of DHS back when it was only the NY street and LMA didn't exist. I think it was some kind of mental block that my mom and I had about that area of the park. It was like the Bermuda Triangle to us. Now when I walk through that area I just laugh at the idea of anyone finding it confusing or needing a map to find their way out. :shrug: I'll never know what our issue was, but it's funny to think about now.

Silentkink

Honestly as a little kid I loved ToT and had a lot of dreams about riding while I wasn't at Disney, and most of them were just like the ride, but a few of them were different and they stand out. In the dreams the ride was the same until you get to the fifth dimension while in the dream instead of going straight through the fifth dimension and go to the drop you go into this side room where you watch very scary movies and a guy is trying to kill you(messed up I know,) all well the car is shaking and the room is lighting up green and then a voice comes on and says I hope you enjoyed your time and now it is time for you to meet your final destination at that Tower of Terror. The thing about this dream was that it was so real that it got stuck in my mind for years. So once we went back to Disney the next year I was excited to ride ToT again and after we got off my parents asked me how I enjoyed ToT and my response to them was "what are you talking about that wasn't ToT take me to the real ToT right now!" So that is my misconception about Disney I find it funny and just recently I had that dream again and it felt good to have a childhood dream come back almost brought tears to my eyes when I woke up.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
My two big ones are that the Maelstrom used to come out further over the waterfall outside, and that the Tower of Terror pushed your car a foot or so outside of the building when you stopped at the top.

mp2bill

I finally thought of one...well, actually two. Both of them have to do with what I remember from my 1996 trip, which was the last one I took before last year.

First, I seemed to remember Splash Mountain being about a 45 minute ride. Obviously, it is not. I must have just been anticipating the drop for so long that it felt like 45 minutes.

Second, and this may not be a misconception, I seem to remember the first drop on ToT to be right after they showed the family that disappeared. They would have their "ghosts" at the end of the hallway and then the narrator says something like, "When they disappeared on that fateful night, they entered...the TWILIGHT ZONE!" and then you'd drop without delay. I could have misremembered this, or maybe they changed the sequence.

Disneykidder

I also thought Splash Mountain, which is my favorite ride, was a 45 minute ride. Maybe this was becasue when it first opened we waited for 3 hours to ride it...haha.

copcarguyp71

I thought the Crystal Palace was some sort of stuffy museum or boring waste of time that I wanted to bypass and get to the thrill and excitement stuff...little did I know that it held in its glassy embrace the best puffed french toast this side of the pearly gates!!!:sohappy:

Finally discovered the error of my ways during our trip in '06....now it is an absolute must-do on our ressies list.

Walt Disney1955

When I was a kid I always thought the way "Disney" was famously written that the "y" was a "p". I asked my mom this, and she said, "no, it's a "y". For a few years I wondered why it was Disney sounded like "Disnep".

I first went on Splash when I was 14. I remember it being a lot steeper. Now, don't get me wrong, it's still one of the best rides to this day in the park, but as I rode more "log" rides over the years I realize that Splash isn't quite as steep as I thought before especially compared to Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic River Adventure at Universal.

I also thought a long time ago that Haunted Mansion was so, so far away from Small World. Maybe it was the naivety in me as a child, or maybe it was the wonderful theming of the park that makes you feel like you are miles away from the other stuff. But in reality, they are practically neighbours, you just can't see it.

As a 10 year old, I swore up and down before being told repeatedly that the Presidents in HOP were real actors.

Here is one from what my dad told me. He went to WDW in 1973 for the first time. He was waiting to get into the Country Bears when he saw a woman pass out because of the heat. I asked him recently how in the world did she pass out in the waiting room? It is cool in there from what I remember. He swears it was outside they were waiting. So maybe someone can help me out with this. Did the Bears have THAT long of a line that day that guests were waiting outside or was it a different set up at the time?

mickey2008.1

I remember as a kid that you could walk into the castle and go up and down hallways, like it was a walking show. For some reason i remember seaing a witch in there. Maelstrom for me too!

Rob562

Second, and this may not be a misconception, I seem to remember the first drop on ToT to be right after they showed the family that disappeared. They would have their "ghosts" at the end of the hallway and then the narrator says something like, "When they disappeared on that fateful night, they entered...the TWILIGHT ZONE!" and then you'd drop without delay. I could have misremembered this, or maybe they changed the sequence.

The lift mechanisms in the four Load shafts at Tower cannot do drop sequences. They're not high-power enough, and the pulley/counterweight system isn't set up that way either.

Here is one from what my dad told me. He went to WDW in 1973 for the first time. He was waiting to get into the Country Bears when he saw a woman pass out because of the heat. I asked him recently how in the world did she pass out in the waiting room? It is cool in there from what I remember. He swears it was outside they were waiting. So maybe someone can help me out with this. Did the Bears have THAT long of a line that day that guests were waiting outside or was it a different set up at the time?

There used to be a partially-indoor overflow queue to the right of CBJ, which is now a small store. The line would start outside, go into that building, and then snake its way outside along the front of the building and into the waiting room.

Even today there's still an exterior queue set up to the left of the entrance to hold people when the waiting room gets full.

-Rob

NORMNB8S

I used to swear that you were able to walk from the Magic Kingdom over to Epcot and that the walk was only a few minutes long. Not so much.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
When I was a kid I always thought the way "Disney" was famously written that the "y" was a "p". I asked my mom this, and she said, "no, it's a "y". For a few years I wondered why it was Disney sounded like "Disnep".

I first went on Splash when I was 14. I remember it being a lot steeper. Now, don't get me wrong, it's still one of the best rides to this day in the park, but as I rode more "log" rides over the years I realize that Splash isn't quite as steep as I thought before especially compared to Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic River Adventure at Universal.

I also thought a long time ago that Haunted Mansion was so, so far away from Small World. Maybe it was the naivety in me as a child, or maybe it was the wonderful theming of the park that makes you feel like you are miles away from the other stuff. But in reality, they are practically neighbours, you just can't see it.

As a 10 year old, I swore up and down before being told repeatedly that the Presidents in HOP were real actors.

Yes. I remember the line extending outside for years.

And standing in the line also! I have never missed the CBJ. To me it's a must see and the fact that I don't have to wait now makes it all the better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom