Young Topless Girl in Impressions de France Film?

gettingsmaller

haven't seen it, but--hey--this makes me think of something:
this past Sept at Typhoon Lagoon, there was a male child old enough to toddle around (my guess is 2yrs old) walking around WITH NO SWIMSUIT. Okay, I haven't seen the France film. I'd imagine you have to look hard to notice the potentially naked kid, and at 5 or 6 yrs old it's probably hard to tell if it's a boy or girl (I'm assuming it's not a close-up since someone is just now noticing), BUT C'MON--a kid old enough to walk should not be walking around completely nude at Typhoon Lagoon!
And the parent was nearby, actually talked to the kid, but didn't do any covering up... Best I recall, they seemed to be speaking Spanish. Anyway, that was my only bit of 'culture shock' while at DIS.

PhilharMagician

haven't seen it, but--hey--this makes me think of something:
this past Sept at Typhoon Lagoon, there was a male child old enough to toddle around (my guess is 2yrs old) walking around WITH NO SWIMSUIT. Okay, I haven't seen the France film. I'd imagine you have to look hard to notice the potentially naked kid, and at 5 or 6 yrs old it's probably hard to tell if it's a boy or girl (I'm assuming it's not a close-up since someone is just now noticing), BUT C'MON--a kid old enough to walk should not be walking around completely nude at Typhoon Lagoon!
And the parent was nearby, actually talked to the kid, but didn't do any covering up... Best I recall, they seemed to be speaking Spanish. Anyway, that was my only bit of 'culture shock' while at DIS.

This reminds me of a story last year at the Uzima Springs pool at AKL. A girl about 12-14 got out of the pool, dried off and stripped down completely and changed right there in the open with her parents right there asking her to hurry up so they could leave. Different cultures! Wow!!

coachz

I don't think that it was anything even close to a "nude beach," but merely a child at an age at which some parents don't care if they are nude in public. I brought it up because there are parents on both ends of that spectrum - those who don't care, and those who would cringe. The "that's their culture" argument is not particularly strong, because there are plenty of world/regional cultures out there that Disney would never be caught publishing. It doesn't matter who/when/where the film was shot, the point is that it's currently being shown as a Disney attraction. The proverbial line needs to be drawn somewhere.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I also think that, if the film was being made today, producers would not have included the child in the shot. As part of a Disney attraction, we are all inclined to think that it's perfectly ok. But if enough similar imagery was found on a man's laptop, we would probably see his face plastered all over the 6 o'clock news. :brick:

I love the film, and I would love to see an update, made in the spirit of the original.

Tk
"i brought it up because....." please, please, please stay home

figmentmom

I've seen that film literally dozens of times, and never noticed a nude child. It's a GREAT film, with a wonderful musical score, well worth watching again and again.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I just feel like it IS part of the culture:shrug:

You are absolutely correct, and I agree with you.

There are, however, other attitudes that are perfectly accepted in other cultures, in other parts of the world, such as slavery and polygamy, that would never be reflected in an Epcot attraction. So, you see, cultural validity, alone, does not per se indicate that something is appropriate for a Disney attraction.

In our American culture, if a child is old enough to walk around, the majority opinion suggests that the parents of the child should clothe the child (when in public.)

Tk

figmentmom

You are absolutely correct, and I agree with you.

There are, however, other attitudes that are perfectly accepted in other cultures, in other parts of the world, such as slavery and polygamy, that would never be reflected in an Epcot attraction. So, you see, cultural validity, alone, does not per se indicate that something is appropriate for a Disney attraction.

In our American culture, if a child is old enough to walk around, the majority opinion suggests that the parents of the child should clothe the child (when in public.)

Tk

But you're not watching a film about American culture - you're watching one about French culture.

*EDIT* In all the years I've been traveling to WDW, and in all the discussion I've read both here and at other Disney sites, no one has ever mentioned noticing that little girl before. I'm guessing it's not much of an issue!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom