Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

WDW1974

That's OK, "beer" was used in the generic social sense, I prefer Scotch. :animwink: [Thankfully, it's almost reasonably priced when you combine the healthy pour at R&C with the TiW discount].

And I "got" the joke... I replied with one. Martin's right, humour can be lost on the web. :shrug:

I wouldn't mind Scotch either ... although I'm kinda in the mood for one of those island drinks at the Poly right now myself (probably because I just talked to a friend who was drinking mai tais on the beach there at the time!!!) ... they tend to actually put some booze in them too ... used to love the margaritas at EPCOT until a few years ago when they cut the amount of alcohol to roughly what you'd get in a Slurpee and raised the prices a few dollars). Territory Lounge at WL is also a great place for drinking adult beverages.

And while I'd agree with Martin and yourself about humor on the web, I'd also suggest that many folks simply don't have a sense of humor to begin with.

EPCOTCenterLover

I think DAK is a great looking park that has much potential but is lacking. That said, E:E is my favorite attraction on the whole WDW property period- and I've been visiting there since opening. (And the full "A" mode yeti is amazing!) The park itself has a fascinating history, and if I may do a little plug... I've got a six part series on my blog about its creation and evolution over the years. Part commentary, part trip report, part gallery of concept art. Look here for part one of six (so far!) and decide for yourself if Joe's vision came to pass!

WDW1974

Rest assured, we didn't leave "lubricating the Yeti" alone in the euphemism department. Were you present when we were recording? I assumed I was listening to a child in the background.

I do think Lee should get residuals for that.:ROFLOL:
Maybe he could put out tees?
I was present for some of Lee's professorial lecture on all things Mouseworthy, but I don't think you heard me as I am a pretty silent Spirit when I don't wish to be heard. We were outdoors between a few restaurants and there were a lot of people walking around, including kids.

I was impressed that Lee seemed pretty well able to tune them out and talk about yeti lubricating and other such topics of import.

On a more serious note (and first let me state I have never listened to ANY Disney podcast, so I'm not familiar with that world), I'm curious as to whether you do what you do just for fun and because of a love of Disney, or if you are hoping to jump on the new Disney 'social media' whorefest that hands out free hotel stays, airfare, cruises, event invites and swag to 'media' that never says anything bad about the Mouse.

That's not meant as an insult, btw. I just wouldn't give any credence to people that Disney paid off for their 'coverage' and hoping you aren't part of that crowd that seems to be expanding daily.

The opposition to your track record comes from how the information is presented. You have to anticipate people will question your track record because people that take Disney too seriously can't handle sorting the "extra content" in your posts.

Ah, but track record speaks to the factual basis of what I post (when I am being serious). And as a podcaster and big Disney fan, wouldn't you agree that many fans take the company and its products far too seriously?

For instance, I don't think I'm going to like the new Mansion queue because I hate the whole concept behind them, which is people are dumber than ever (likely true) with the attention span of knats and they are unable to simply wait in a queue for an attraction, so Disney needs to give them something to entertain themselves so they don't Twitter or update their status or play games of their own while waiting ... yet, look at how many posts there are on that subject.

Even this yeti deal. Look at how many posts we have. Is the yeti that important? I'd argue the larger points such as overall show quality standards at WDW and value provided for money paid would be the overriding issues.

I liked the decor of Sanaa, but I wasn't a fan of the food.

I've enjoyed it everytime I've been (four times now), although once we did have an issue with a raw burger being replaced by another one almost as bad and the manager didn't seem to feel this was a major concern, which soured me a bit on the place (the burger wasn't mine as I wouldn't go there for that, but it still should have been cooked!)

WDW1974

Originally Posted by wayneway
I'm guessing they didn't hire Bob Gurr to design the Yeti, let's hope they hired him for the repair job...

There seems to be a bit of an inferiority complex among parts of Imagineering. Supposedly Bob offered to help as a consultant on the Mark VIIs but was roundly refused.

100% accurate.

The 'new guard' (whatever that exactly means) doesn't want to acknowledge the greats like Bob.

Shame as they could learn a lot from the legends, which are sadly thinning in ranks annually.

RSoxNo1

I do think Lee should get residuals for that.:ROFLOL:
Maybe he could put out tees?
I was present for some of Lee's professorial lecture on all things Mouseworthy, but I don't think you heard me as I am a pretty silent Spirit when I don't wish to be heard. We were outdoors between a few restaurants and there were a lot of people walking around, including kids.

I was impressed that Lee seemed pretty well able to tune them out and talk about yeti lubricating and other such topics of import.

On a more serious note (and first let me state I have never listened to ANY Disney podcast, so I'm not familiar with that world), I'm curious as to whether you do what you do just for fun and because of a love of Disney, or if you are hoping to jump on the new Disney 'social media' whorefest that hands out free hotel stays, airfare, cruises, event invites and swag to 'media' that never says anything bad about the Mouse.

That's not meant as an insult, btw. I just wouldn't give any credence to people that Disney paid off for their 'coverage' and hoping you aren't part of that crowd that seems to be expanding daily.
We are trying to find our niche. But the reason we created a show was because there are too many podcasts out there that take Disney too seriously. I love Disney as much as anyone on here, and I can have a serious conversation about it for hours. However outside of those hardcore Disney fans, that's simply not interesting.

Our objective was to create a show that is more easily digestible. One that doesn't sugar coat things, but also one that doesn't take Disney too seriously. We can joke about it, and we occasionally cross some lines with our humor that other shows wouldn't. We even had to go to the extent of releasing monthly uncensored shows that are basically content that was too inappropriate for what the expectations have become for a Disney podcast.

As for getting free stuff - it hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't be opposed to receiving some of that. This may sound cliche, but I believe that if we were to accept any type of free swag (I'll be requesting press credentials for the D23 convention for example) it won't change the nature of our show.

With all that in mind, I listen to several Disney podcasts (Inside the Magic, WDW Today, WDW Radio Show, Magical Definition, and Mousechat.net), and I like each of them for different reasons.

Ah, but track record speaks to the factual basis of what I post (when I am being serious). And as a podcaster and big Disney fan, wouldn't you agree that many fans take the company and its products far too seriously?
Absolutely. I find that I'm constantly thinking about Disney (often times it's from an uber-nerdy operations standpoint, or a show idea).

And to give you an even nerdier answer I'll quote Ben Franklin at the American Adventure:

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored"

There are those in the podcast community, and those on the internet fan community that never question Disney on anything. Then there are those that seemingly question everything they do despite claiming to love the company. For lack of a better comparison, think of it from a political standpoint - most of the political media is either extreme right or extreme left, when reality is somewhere in the middle.

We've been complaining about the Yeti for quite some time. We're not alone, it's a legitimate complaint. Like others we've complained about Stitch's Great Escape, yet we've pointed out that there are some good components to the attraction (the AA, the music, the cryptogram).

For instance, I don't think I'm going to like the new Mansion queue because I hate the whole concept behind them, which is people are dumber than ever (likely true) with the attention span of knats and they are unable to simply wait in a queue for an attraction, so Disney needs to give them something to entertain themselves so they don't Twitter or update their status or play games of their own while waiting ... yet, look at how many posts there are on that subject.

Even this yeti deal. Look at how many posts we have. Is the yeti that important? I'd argue the larger points such as overall show quality standards at WDW and value provided for money paid would be the overriding issues.
The thing with the Yeti is that it is the single biggest icon for declining by degrees. Everest is a good coaster without it, but it was a difference maker for the attraction. Having said that, there are others on here that would make the same claim about the Lights of Winter removal being the single biggest icon for declining by degrees. I'm not sure if that portion of our conversation made it to the show this week, but I know I mentioned that the fact there was a 200+ page thread on the Lights of Winter on WDWMagic is absolutely ridiculous.

I've enjoyed it everytime I've been (four times now), although once we did have an issue with a raw burger being replaced by another one almost as bad and the manager didn't seem to feel this was a major concern, which soured me a bit on the place (the burger wasn't mine as I wouldn't go there for that, but it still should have been cooked!)

I've only been to Sanaa once, I'm sure I'll eventually return because I would still like to see the new Kadani Exclusive Savannah (I believe it's called the Pembe Savannah).

Was the slightly homophobic remark really necessary? Or should I point out that you noticed the bulge in the first place? :rolleyes:

Please. I am far from homophobic and so was the remark.

It spoke to a poster's continued unhealthy obsession with me on this site that the mods don't seem to have an issue with. So, if it's all just in fun then so be it ...

People are going to hear what they want to hear. Back to what I deal with on a weekly basis in terms of editing content. There was a comment made on this week's show about Disney not acknowledging Gay days. I left it in because if it offended anyone it was going to be someone that was homophobic. I'm not worried about offending someone like that because I strongly believe in the side I'd have to take to defend the comment in the show.

Does anyone know if I can obtain a full version of the special on the Discovery channel about EE rather than just watching it on You Tube? Thanks in advance for the help.

Rob562

Does anyone know if I can obtain a full version of the special on the Discovery channel about EE rather than just watching it on You Tube? Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm sure the Discovery Channel would be happy to sell it to you on DVD on their site... ;) Amazon probably has it, too. If you have Netflix, check for it there. I know they have a few of the Disney parks specials.

-Rob

devoy1701

We are trying to find our niche. But the reason we created a show was because there are too many podcasts out there that take Disney too seriously. I love Disney as much as anyone on here, and I can have a serious conversation about it for hours. However outside of those hardcore Disney fans, that's simply not interesting.

Our objective was to create a show that is more easily digestible. One that doesn't sugar coat things, but also one that doesn't take Disney too seriously. We can joke about it, and we occasionally cross some lines with our humor that other shows wouldn't. We even had to go to the extent of releasing monthly uncensored shows that are basically content that was too inappropriate for what the expectations have become for a Disney podcast.

As for getting free stuff - it hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't be opposed to receiving some of that. This may sound cliche, but I believe that if we were to accept any type of free swag (I'll be requesting press credentials for the D23 convention for example) it won't change the nature of our show.

With all that in mind, I listen to several Disney podcasts (Inside the Magic, WDW Today, WDW Radio Show, Magical Definition, and Mousechat.net), and I like each of them for different reasons.

Absolutely. I find that I'm constantly thinking about Disney (often times it's from an uber-nerdy operations standpoint, or a show idea).

And to give you an even nerdier answer I'll quote Ben Franklin at the American Adventure:

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored"

There are those in the podcast community, and those on the internet fan community that never question Disney on anything. Then there are those that seemingly question everything they do despite claiming to love the company. For lack of a better comparison, think of it from a political standpoint - most of the political media is either extreme right or extreme left, when reality is somewhere in the middle.

We've been complaining about the Yeti for quite some time. We're not alone, it's a legitimate complaint. Like others we've complained about Stitch's Great Escape, yet we've pointed out that there are some good components to the attraction (the AA, the music, the cryptogram).

The thing with the Yeti is that it is the single biggest icon for declining by degrees. Everest is a good coaster without it, but it was a difference maker for the attraction. Having said that, there are others on here that would make the same claim about the Lights of Winter removal being the single biggest icon for declining by degrees. I'm not sure if that portion of our conversation made it to the show this week, but I know I mentioned that the fact there was a 200+ page thread on the Lights of Winter on WDWMagic is absolutely ridiculous.

I've only been to Sanaa once, I'm sure I'll eventually return because I would still like to see the new Kadani Exclusive Savannah (I believe it's called the Pembe Savannah).

Thanks for your podcast! listening to it now....nice to get here the discussion between you and Lee and settle some of the questions/disputes about some of our hot topics!

Lee

Adventurer
Just wondering out loud...

Knowing that a version of Everest is planned for one of Shanghai's expansion pads....wonder what they'll do about the yeti situation.
Build him right this time?
Skip him altogether?
Do it a new way?
Hire Bigfoot instead?

:shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Knowing that a version of Everest is planned for one of Shanghai's expansion pads....wonder what they'll do about the yeti situation.
Skip him altogether?
Do it a new way?
Hire Bigfoot instead?

I would assume that it will depend on how the repair works out. If the fix works I would assume that a slightly redesigned yeti would be in Shanghai's version. If the fix only takes the yeti to sort of working I'll wager that they will get a somewhat static figure.

devoy1701

Skip him altogether?
Do it a new way?
Hire Bigfoot instead?

I thought the main issue was the missing lube that caused a dramatic increase in friction between mechanical parts that wasn't supposed to have any??? (I was trying to work while listening to your podcast so I might have missed something) In which case I'm sure that step will be in bold font and underlined with a disclaimer that anyone who messes this up again will be kicked to the curb with no possible chance of working in the industry again...

juniorthomas

Skip him altogether?
Do it a new way?
Hire Bigfoot instead?

They'll make it a new CM role. I'm looking at you Disney College Program kids.

Lucky

Skip him altogether?
Do it a new way?
Hire Bigfoot instead?

I'm guessing a smiling panda that gives you a slight wave of his paw.

Tera

Well first off, I'm new on this website, so hello. :wave:
But anyway, I've been reading through the posts the past few days and I just wanted to put out my opinion. E:E is one of my favorite rides at Disney, but every time I have been on it Yeti is always on B-mode, which is kind of a disappointment. They advertised the Yeti to be such a bigger thrill and excitement, where as every time I rode it I could barely see it, and it didn't phase me at all. I'd love to experience it when it's in full action, even though I am not getting my hopes up for A-mode Yeti anytime soon.

Basically restating the same thing a lot of people said, but another person's opinion can't hurt. :)

sublimesting

I thought the main issue was the missing lube that caused a dramatic increase in friction between mechanical parts that wasn't supposed to have any??? (I was trying to work while listening to your podcast so I might have missed something) In which case I'm sure that step will be in bold font and underlined with a disclaimer that anyone who messes this up again will be kicked to the curb with no possible chance of working in the industry again...

So basically the whole problem was the yeti was chafing and could have been fixed with
images
?

rsoxguy

^

I found this intensive rescue stuff, and I'm not a professional, but I think it'll work better than the regular stuff.

vaseline.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom