Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

Many new members have brought in reliable information. Rum Pirate being the most recent example. I wouldn't find it surprising if he's correct, because the Yeti was under tarps/scrim at some point last year, I believe, and nothing happened.

I wasn't saying that he was wrong (in fact, I think he is probably right, too), but it's always just a bit fishy to see new members post some detailed information like that. I remember someone that claimed to be in-the-know made a huge fuss and impact on nearly everyone on the forums during the Haunted Mansion's refurbishment, but somehow disappeared from existence when he wound up being disproved (to my knowledge, anyway; I have no idea if he's still around).

Not that the information he gave was anything near the scale the gentleman a few years back had posted, but having only made five posts seems a little strange to me. :shrug:

I also made some pretty stupid posts when I first joined :)o), so I know how irritating some (but definitely not all) new members can be.

PalisadesPkteer

So I guess it is time to ask this.

Lee, Martin, Raven or one of our other trusted insiders.

Is this an other case of not fixing it again! Not even in the near future?

lazyboy97o

I'm guessing they didn't hire Bob Gurr to design the Yeti, let's hope they hired him for the repair job...
There seems to be a bit of an inferiority complex among parts of Imagineering. Supposedly Bob offered to help as a consultant on the Mark VIIs but was roundly refused.

Flip83

I'll chime in with a WHO CARES.

The 2.3 seconds of Yeti time make the thing pretty pointless. At least with the Matterhorn, the AS is fully lit.

It isn't like it is The Mummy where the ride actually stops several times and gives you a show worthy of the build up.

The Yeti, with 3 motions, would give the same sensation to 85% of riders.

Back tilt. Arm swing. Head rotate. All else is pointless in 2.3 seconds.

THANK YOU! Spot On!

Rob562

That sounds really amazing. Wish I could have experienced the Yeti in all his glory. When my husband and I rode EE in 2009 I asked him if he saw the Yeti anamatronic at the end? His reply: "what are you talking about?". Sigh.....

For those who have never seen A-mode Yeti, watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7EkgChz_qg
Fast-forward to about 4:30 in the video.

Now, imagine all that movement happening while the animatronic is in your line of sight for only a few seconds...

-Rob

AEfx

Oh, I've seen A-mode. Several times. Barely. It just isn't that great.

Absolutely.

I think people are already having rose-colored glasses on this one. They are remembering it as far more impressive than it was - and, they also forget that most of them knew where to look - unlike the average guest.

The essential problem with EE is the design - the epic Yeti encounter, which was primed, pumped, and advertised unlike any Disney attraction feature before (can you think of an attraction that got not only it's own TV special, but THREE of them??), was poorly designed in the first place.

Rumor at the time was that the designed the "ride by" of the Yeti the way they did so as not to seem like they were imitating Kong over at Universal - my, how I wish they had done that! Imagine that spot where you are in the cavern (looking at those lovely themed steel beams) if a GREAT BIG huge Yeti were growling at you. Amazing!

Instead, you woosh past at 50MPH (or whatever speed) and barely get a look. They spend millions of dollars on this thing, hype it to all heck, and most people went by so quick they don't even see it when it IS operating!

That's the real reason for the lack of action on this - if they spend millions more to make him work, it's still for naught because they made such bad decisions at the base of the design to begin with. When flying fast on a roller coaster at a point like that, many people close their eyes anyway or are at least squinting because of the air blowing at your face - it was just a horrid place to put him to begin with.

I know many people worship at the cult of Rohde, but his myopic attention to detail is often his downfall. It was the story with this ride, certainly, and AK as a whole. He spent so much time and money on the queue (I mean, entire television specials about world tours he made to get insignificant little artifacts/junk that 99.999% of guests will not know anything about - or probably care), yet the design of the actual ride experience is sub-par. The Yeti doesn't work, the inside portions are so sparsely themed as to almost be embarrassing (you don't see steel frames inside other indoor coasters at Disney as a general rule), and the Yeti itself, even WHEN working, is a quick flash instead of a major encounter.

Although I like what he did with the New Fantasyland at DL in '83, and of course Captain Eo, looking at his resume (Mexico, Norway, and what else besides Adventurers Club?) he's not nearly as impressive as some make him out to be. I don't hate the guy, but I think he's completely overrated - and Everest is one of the biggest attraction-related embarrassments Disney has ever had, and he is largely responsible.

Gracy_hm

Yay!

Can't wait to see my giant Eisner forheaded monster back swinin' like a Sonny and Cher pool party. Lastly I don't know policy of posting a link but I saw a music video for Disco Yeti on youtube and it truly was thoughtfully written and performed and no I'm not the performer but was allot of fun. This work sounds like a positive step! :sohappy:

RandySavage

When all was working perfectly, as the train careened through the final room, the hulking figure, fully lit and especially ferocious, actually lurched out of its cave, leaned over and swiped at the heads of the riders. It was a SPECTACULAR effect. People ducked, flinched, screamed. The speed of the car and that of the AA led to a reaction of "Did that really just happen!?" It was smartly designed to have maximum impact because of the speed and lack of "face time. " Those of us who bemoan the broken effect are those who were impacted, impressed, and amazed by the sheer audacity and brilliance of Disney at its finest.

This is absolutely spot on and well-written. The brevity of the encounter combined the fast, life-life motion of the AA was what made it work.

Pioneer Hall

Although I like what he did with the New Fantasyland at DL in '83, and of course Captain Eo, looking at his resume (Mexico, Norway, and what else besides Adventurers Club?) he's not nearly as impressive as some make him out to be. I don't hate the guy, but I think he's completely overrated - and Everest is one of the biggest attraction-related embarrassments Disney has ever had, and he is largely responsible.

He was the creative force behind Animal Kingdom as a whole. While the park does have some operational issues, you cannot deny that it is possibly the best themed park in Disney.

comics101

He was the creative force behind Animal Kingdom as a whole. While the park does have some operational issues, you cannot deny that it is possibly the best themed park in Disney.

Animal Kingdom's a gorgeous park. It has some of the most beautiful scenery and stunning detail of any park in the world, and should be the most wonderful park Walt Disney World has to offer beacuse of it. The problem is there's nothing to do. There's a whole 9 attractions, including two actual rides (both of which are far too thrilling and scary for younger ones to enjoy), a Safari where half the animals always seem to be missing (while it is quite an enjoyable ride, Jungle Cruise in MK is probably more enjoyable simply because I actually get to see animals, real or not doesn't really matter much to me, though I do understand how ingenious the design of KS is so, I'll give it that) and then a raft ride that you wait more than 90 mins in line for so you can experience 2 mins of deforestization. Then there's Nemo and Lion King...and Rainforest Cafe, which I can find at my mall (does that even count?). I don't count the animal trails as attractions simply because I can see the exact same thing at the Brookfield Zoo. And need I even mention Dinorama? :rolleyes:
I love DAK and visit the park every trip, but when you can get done with everything at a Disney park in less than 3 hours that's really sad, esspecially considering what you pay to enter.
I'm not trying to question Joe Rhode, as I said, the park is the most elegantly designed Disney Park I've ever been to (possibly in the world), but I do question whether it was worth spending DAK's funds entirely on details instead of attractions. I'm only assuming that's what happend, as I have no way of knowing for sure, but that would make sense to me. Its funny, the late 90's early 2000's gave us two extremes on the Disney park spectrum, DAK with sooo much attention to detail but nothing to do, and DCA, a bunch of mishmash thrown together with the Disney name on it.

And I'm glad someone else noticed the lack of theming in the interior sections of E:E. I love the ride, but that always bugged me. I always thought maybe if they had lined it with black tarps or something the light wouldn't have shown through the cracks and it wouldn't have been as noticable, but yeah...

NewfieFan

For those who have never seen A-mode Yeti, watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7EkgChz_qg
Fast-forward to about 4:30 in the video.

Now, imagine all that movement happening while the animatronic is in your line of sight for only a few seconds...

-Rob

Wow, just wow! I've only been on EE twice in all my trips to WDW but I've never seen the Yeti, let alone it move!

That video actually makes me a little sad, that something so groundbreaking is sitting inside that mountain broken!

I thought this quote was interesting from the show (around the 3 min. mark)...

"But there's one thing the designers need to finish by opening day or there'd be no attraction without him, the yeti!"

And yet we have an attraction with no Yeti!

pax_65

I think people are already having rose-colored glasses on this one. They are remembering it as far more impressive than it was - and, they also forget that most of them knew where to look - unlike the average guest.

I'm not a huge Everest fan - as a roller coaster I just think it's ok. But with the Yeti in A mode, I thought the theming of the ride was really impressive.

Let me put it this way... I've been on many, many theme park rides and am pretty jaded to special effects. But when I rode Everest for the first time, when the Yeti swiped at the train, I ducked in spite of myself.

Magenta Panther

Expedition: Everest is the major pull for guests visiting Animal Kingdom. If the were to close down the entire attraction to fix the Yeti they would see a major drop in attendence; therefore, they are doing what they can to fix it while keeping the ride operating.

Even if it means being behind a tarp for a while I will be happy when it's back in A Mode again.

So there's a chance that it WILL be in A mode again? That's fantastic! I've never seen the Yeti in its fully-operational, A-mode glory!!!! (At least, not after it was installed within the ride). This is the best news ever!!!!! :sohappy:

csm

So there's a chance that it WILL be in A mode again? That's fantastic! I've never seen the Yeti in its fully-operational, A-mode glory!!!! (At least, not after it was installed within the ride). This is the best news ever!!!!! :sohappy:

A-mode is a relative term these days. A-mode compared to what it's been doing for the past five or so years, yes. A-mode compared to what it did in 2006? No.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom