Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

Tom Morrow

Yeah, but that isn't Disney endorsing the Yeti. I'm guessing once Disney gave Discovery/Travel Channel that documentary, they are free to air it whenever they want.

I only point this out because some people on here complain that Disney is actively promoting the animatronic itself, but they are not.

Skyway

If you promote something once (and reap the benefits of that initial publicity) you are stuck with it.

This is Disney's version of "Read My Lips, No New Taxes" and every other political speech that's later used against the candidate.

Every time this 2006 travel show plays, the hypocrisy is brought to light again.

Lee

Adventurer
Yeah, but that isn't Disney endorsing the Yeti. I'm guessing once Disney gave Discovery/Travel Channel that documentary, they are free to air it whenever they want.

I only point this out because some people on here complain that Disney is actively promoting the animatronic itself, but they are not.
But they do.
The TV ads all focus on the Yeti. The decorations all over the Asia area talk about him. The queue focuses on him. The gift shop sells yeti toys and clothing. The park maps talk about him. The Yeti remains the main focus and selling point of the attraction....and he doesn't work.

RSoxNo1

Destination America (new Discovery/Travel Channel spinoff) is showing "Animal Kingdom" show right now.

Tom Fitzgerald is on TV bragging about how technologically advanced the Yeti is, and how essential it is to the story.

So rich.
Beachboy.

The Empress Lilly

Why don't they just fix the thing already?! Close Everest and get it done.
All I´m hearing is that Disney no longer wants show scenes above guests. Too risky. The lawyers won´t have it.
On top of all other reasons from previous years, the Yeti may never be repaired for the same reason the falling rocks in Thunder did not get repaired, namely accidents with overhead show elements and a policy to get rid of them.

Kuhio

But what attraction doesn't have an "overhead show element"? Technically, the roof in an enclosed ride or show is such an element. And, getting beyond semantics, there's always a chance -- albeit an incredibly small one -- that part of the ceiling in a theater could fall and injure a guest... or, more likely, a piece of track or supporting structure on a roller coaster where sections of the track pass under each other.

If it's true that the "no overhead show elements" is the actual excuse being given, then that's the most transparent excuse for "cheapness" that I've ever heard.

Sweet Melissa

All I´m hearing is that Disney no longer wants show scenes above guests. Too risky. The lawyers won´t have it.
On top of all other reasons from previous years, the Yeti may never be repaired for the same reason the falling rocks in Thunder did not get repaired, namely accidents with overhead show elements and a policy to get rid of them.

Interesting. I wonder if this is the same excuse for the currently-stationary boulder in Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland.

The Empress Lilly

But what attraction doesn't have an "overhead show element"?
I assume the idea is 'show element with moving parts'.
In a way, Disney has come to understand its own maintenance problems, its slipped standards. Elements that were installed in the 70s/80s/90s are now turned off, or removed, out of an understanding that much in the parks is maintained so poorly (sooner or later) that it poses a security risk if above guests.

Interesting. I wonder if this is the same excuse for the currently-stationary boulder in Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland.
I would not be surprised at all. All I heard after the problems in Paris with the boulder coming down on the Thunder train is 'no more overhead show effects'. (Or whatever the phrase was. I've tried to google it, but to no avail.)

Alektronic

There is a separate division that deals with just "Overhead Safety" there is separate guidelines for anything that is mounted overhead or can intrude into the ride envelope. There are PM's for people to check things that have turned off for 10-15 years just to make sure they are still there.

MerlinTheGoat

I certain hope there's not a wish in management to remove any show elements above vehicles. They've already done quite enough on butchering other elements in the park. It's getting ridiculous. Small World has a lot of those hanging moving parts in particular, as well as Splash Mountain. Not to mention the Alien part in Great Movie Ride. I could go on, ugh...

WDW1974

I certain hope there's not a wish in management to remove any show elements above vehicles. They've already done quite enough on butchering other elements in the park. It's getting ridiculous. Small World has a lot of those hanging moving parts in particular, as well as Splash Mountain. Not to mention the Alien part in Great Movie Ride. I could go on, ugh...

There is NO truth to that at all as far as I can tell. It is just an urban/Internet/CM/fanboi myth ... when I asked someone today they laughed out loud and said 'school's out on the boards!' ... this just is total BS. I have no idea who started it or why, but it has gained strength due to the 'net ... again, not true.

RSoxNo1

There is NO truth to that at all as far as I can tell. It is just an urban/Internet/CM/fanboi myth ... when I asked someone today they laughed out loud and said 'school's out on the boards!' ... this just is total BS. I have no idea who started it or why, but it has gained strength due to the 'net ... again, not true.
Presumably it came from deductive reasoning:
Compys don't go overhead on Dinosaur
The pterodactyl no longer swoops overhead on Dinosaur
The rocks don't fall or shake in Thunder Mountain
The yeti is a stuffed animal with the theoretical force of a 747 if you pour enough lube on it

Are you claiming that these effects being turned off was for another reason? I don't buy it.

Alektronic

Presumably it came from deductive reasoning:
Compys don't go overhead on Dinosaur
The pterodactyl no longer swoops overhead on Dinosaur
The rocks don't fall or shake in Thunder Mountain
The yeti is a stuffed animal with the theoretical force of a 747 if you pour enough lube on it

Are you claiming that these effects being turned off was for another reason? I don't buy it.

Compy's were turned off because of cracks in the frame of the mechanism that moved them across the track, instead of fixing it, they just turned it off.

Mama Ceradactylus was turned off because the cable used to move it back and forth kept coming off the track, instead of fixing it, they just turned it off.

At Kali, remember the logging truck that was stuck and teetering and as your raft came by, the logs on the back of the truck would swing out, then they found a crack in the frame and instead of fixing it, they just turned it off.

At Everest, the Yeti has a crack in its movable foundation, so instead of fixing it, they turned it off.

So it is all in the name of safety, that is the way they like to fix things at DAK, just turn it off and then you don't have to worry about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom