Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

the.dreamfinder

I haven't seen La Nouba, but I can say that I still enjoy Festival of the Lion King more than the showing of Cirque de Soleil I did see when it was in Massachusetts.
Tim,
The touring Cirque du Soleils are not nearly as good as the ones with custom built theaters (i.e. La Nouba, O, Love). Having a custom built theatre for any show, Festival of the Lion King included, usually makes a very big difference. Give La Nouba a try.

RSoxNo1

Tim,
The touring Cirque du Soleils are not nearly as good as the ones with custom built theaters (i.e. La Nouba, O, Love). Having a custom built theatre for any show, Festival of the Lion King included, usually makes a very big difference. Give La Nouba a try.
I definitely haven't dismissed La Nouba, unfortunately what's happened is that my trips without the family are usually long weekends and La Nouba is never on my agenda. I'll get there some day.

bubbles1812

I definitely haven't dismissed La Nouba, unfortunately what's happened is that my trips without the family are usually long weekends and La Nouba is never on my agenda. I'll get there some day.

I hope you do! Everything dreamfinder said is true. They can do so much more in the custom built theaters than they can with the traveling shows. I've seen O, Love, La Nouba, and Ka. The most spectacular Cirque show was Ka in Las Vegas. The stage actually made the show for that IMO (It was rotatable...and when I saw rotatable I mean virtually every which way and they did some incredible things with it). Same goes for O (can't exactly transport a several million gallon stage tank traveling), Love, and La Nouba. :) Hope you give La Nouba a try. :)

WDW1974

So ... when it comes to seeing the best show by far in O-Town for you it's always a case of not yeti!

(C'mon that was a softball over the plate!)

bubbles1812

Ugh. 2016. Surely everyone will still care about Avatar by then!

Oh wait, they barely care about it already!
Yeah I'll be curious to see how Avatar's sequels will do. The technology was/is really cool...about the only time where I've ever felt paying for 3D was worth it and the world Cameron created was really cool. But the story itself was fairly generic. I think they could do some really cool things if they wanted but I think Disney is going to go the cheap half assed way.

ScarForKing

Maybe it is far fetched, but does anyone see a potential tie-in with the next year's movie release of Frozen? The official synopsis says, "Encountering Everest-like extremes, mystical creatures and magic at every turn..." which made me think they may be setting up a connection for the ride and movie, thus giving the ride a little love.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah I'll be curious to see how Avatar's sequels will do. The technology was/is really cool...about the only time where I've ever felt paying for 3D was worth it and the world Cameron created was really cool. But the story itself was fairly generic. I think they could do some really cool things if they wanted but I think Disney is going to go the cheap half assed way.
The thing is you could say this about nearly every movie released in the last 30 +/- years. I can not remember the last movie I saw that had a completely 100% original premise at its heart. They all seem to break down 1 of a dozen or so basic story types.

ddbowdoin

The thing is you could say this about nearly every movie released in the last 30 +/- years. I can not remember the last movie I saw that had a completely 100% original premise at its heart. They all seem to break down 1 of a dozen or so basic story types.

you had to have facepalmed... when they actually used the word "the force". Come on! At least change the lingo!

bubbles1812

Oh, I know that. I wouldn't disagree. I think if you take literary classes they teach you like that there are 5-7? (sorry it's been awhile since I've been in an English class) storylines that human stories have when you boil them down to their basic elements, like you said. That being said, I think for some stories/plots, that stands out more than others. I felt Avatar was one of them. Not that I didn't enjoy it. It was a fine movie. But still, there was a reason a lot of people were calling it "Dances with Wolves in Space (with the smurfs ;) )". I think the world of Pandora is very memorable and that's where its potential lies for a land at Disney. Not in its story.

bubbles1812

Maybe it is far fetched, but does anyone see a potential tie-in with the next year's movie release of Frozen? The official synopsis says, "Encountering Everest-like extremes, mystical creatures and magic at every turn..." which made me think they may be setting up a connection for the ride and movie, thus giving the ride a little love.

Frozen is the Snow Queen by a different name right? They could try to tie something in, I could see that...though that doesn't mean they will fix the yeti :(

MagicMike

Since we are completely off subject at this point anyway, let me pose this question. Why is the actual ride Yeti a mix of black/brown natural fur colors, but in all the park merchandise he is white and blue? Were they worried he would look too much like Chewbacca? They wanted the Yeti to be more Everest-ish?

the.dreamfinder

The imagineers wanted a biologically believable yeti (sorry Harold :(). Joe Rhode is really into making everything as authentic as possible. Also, cultural depictions of the yeti show a variety of pelt colors.
Skip to 3:55
I would imagine the reason why the yeti merch is white has more to do with what people visualize when they hear yeti (abominable snowman) than Nepalese culture.

MagicMike

I would imagine the reason why the yeti merch is white has more to do with what people visualize when they hear yeti (abominable snowman) than Nepalese culture.

Sure, I agree with that, but Disney has its own Yeti. Shouldn't the park merchandise be reflective of Disney's version of the Yeti and not a generic vision? This is the only case I can think of where the merchandise deviates so greatly from the ride experience. It has always struck me as a little odd that's all.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sure, I agree with that, but Disney has its own Yeti. Shouldn't the park merchandise be reflective of Disney's version of the Yeti and not a generic vision? This is the only case I can think of where the merchandise deviates so greatly from the ride experience. It has always struck me as a little odd that's all.
The reason/story/excuse I was told is that no one has seen the Yeti and that he is just a legend. The merchandise in the shop is what the people of Andapour thinks he looks like.

ChrisM

The imagineers wanted a biologically believable yeti (sorry Harold :(). Joe Rhode is really into making everything as authentic as possible.

Biologically believable? Does that imply I'm supposed to believe that a primate the size of an elephant exists?

I think Rhode might need to be partnered with something of a foil to keep him focused on things that matter.

Skyway

Destination America (new Discovery/Travel Channel spinoff) is showing "Animal Kingdom" show right now.

Tom Fitzgerald is on TV bragging about how technologically advanced the Yeti is, and how essential it is to the story.

So rich.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom