Yeti been switched out for repair? Something new in the cave

peterpanic74

I will also disagree that you travel past the yeti too fast to see what it does.

When I rode EE back in Sept. 06, I felt you got a great exposure to the Yeti in A mode, even from the front car. The currently offering is absolutely not equivalent by any means.
:shrug:

ScrapIron

I'm sure there are some that justify the split-second Yeti sighting as a storytelling technique (kind of like the way Spielberg kept the shark hidden in the original Jaws to build suspense).

Well, that was because the shark didn't work most of the time.

We just missed the opening of EE in 2005, so I'm looking forward to it, though my anticipation would be higher if it was fully functional. Yes, it is a big disappointment. But I think if it were a simple fix, it would have been done by now. If it will require shutting down the ride while that work happens, then I understand a reluctance to do that. I think we can all agree that rushing a solution the ends up not fixing the problem and only leads back to the current situation would be a waste. Obviously turning off the ride until it is fixed will bring exponentially more complaints than running it in B mode.

I am not a Disney apologist!

But I do know the history of these parks. Sometime an idea comes years before an attraction is even technically possible (Space Mtn). Sometimes a ride has delays or persistent problems when it does open (Epcot's Test Track and SSE). Sometimes an effect just can't be made to work (DL's Indy ride (roof falling) and the near mythic hatbox ghost from the HM that lasted about a week). Sometimes they even have to bail on the entire ride (DL's Rocket Rods and Flying Saucers). It's just the risk of trying groundbreaking technologies.

If nothing else, I think Joe Rhode has enough of an ego to want what will be seen as "his" attraction to ultimately work properly. It does seem, though, that this will not be a quick fix. I look forward to the day I read that the Yeti is back in business, but won't be making any bets on when that may happen.

A bientot.

Skyway

Skyway - I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize, but, have you actually seen the Yeti in A mode?

It's simply breathtaking. The Yeti is illuminated the whole time so you first see him from a distance and then the way he moves, and how close he gets to the cars. It's fantastic.

I have taken first time riders on Everest several times and they always miss the Yeti. So we ride again and I tell them where to look at and I scream at them when to look. They often miss it the second time around too.

David---

You proved my point.

If riders still don't even SEE they Yeti (much less appreciate his movements) with their buddy screaming in their ear, then the expensive animatronic is not living up to it's potential.

In case I wasn't clear, I agree that the Yeti is an amazing piece of engineering.

If the Yeti was used in a different setting (slower trains, multiple passes, or brighter lighting), WDI's efforts would have paid off.

But I doubt the Imagineers said "Lets dump all this money into this amazing creature and hope David's pals don't see it!"

Yes, B mode is unacceptable.

I'm just saying I'd have absolutely no problem with an A- or B+ mode, with the Yeti moving more than it does now, but without any unnecessary subtle movements that add extra motors, extra weight, and extra stress on the figure.

(A 1080p TV may be the best, but of you're only viewing a 22" screen, you won't tell the difference between 1080 and 720. It would be unnecessary quality that is lost on the viewer, just like the Yeti.)

The Jungle Cruise natives jump up and down usin a simple turntable spinning on a bumpy base. Springs in their body and loose clothing accentuate their very simple movement.

I find it hard to believe that the Yeti needs "the power of a jet engine" to function when a lightweight puppet made of chicken wire, springs, and fur could be animated to do a very similar movement during those three seconds you zip by.

(In the time you've read my post, two dozen trains could have flown by the Yeti)

:drevil:

djkidkaz

Actually the whole point WAS that you second guess yourself about what you saw. To leave some mystery about the experience than have it all be exposition. To quote one of the Imagineers: "When you first see the Yeti, you won't really know what you'll be seeing. It'll be this fast, ferocious blur of hair and nails, and you'll have to go back several times..."

The idea was that you would second guess if the yeti was "really real?! :eek:", not if there was even a yeti at all.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Actually the whole point WAS that you second guess yourself about what you saw. To leave some mystery about the experience than have it all be exposition. To quote one of the Imagineers: "When you first see the Yeti, you won't really know what you'll be seeing. It'll be this fast, ferocious blur of hair and nails, and you'll have to go back several times..."
I remember reading that as well either on this site or elsewhere and completely respect their design and thoughts obviously.

We all know that hind site is 20/20 and my opinion doesnt mean all that much, but I just think if you spend that kind of money on such an advanced AA, show it off. Lets forget for a second that he isnt working as planned. I just think that it would have more of an impact if you really got to take it all in with an additional 5 seconds (ie: the track switch with lighting apps to hide him them make him appear as you are about to move forward)

We all have our opinions. I love E:E the way it is (im referring to the fixed version), but if we were playing armchair imagineer, those are my two cents.

That is what makes this site great. :wave:

JimboJones123

I will also disagree that you travel past the yeti too fast to see what it does.

When I rode EE back in Sept. 06, I felt you got a great exposure to the Yeti in A mode, even from the front car. The currently offering is absolutely not equivalent by any means.
:shrug:

I was embarrassed when I oversold the Yeti to my daughter. She went on Jan 09 and asked what the big deal was, you could not even see anything.

Pirate665

I remember riding during cast previews and it was amazing to see the Yeti in full force. I recently revisited from California (seeing my mom, always a blast there) and seeing the Yeti now in B-mode... it was a shame...

Here's hoping they fix him soon, cause I come back in December and would like to see him in full swing.

>Steve

IWant2GoNow

Did we ever lock down a month of a year when the Yeti officially went down for good? Was it even working for a full year after it opened in '06?

IWant2GoNow

It was working in Jan 08 when I went. Has anyone confirmed this claim that the yeti had been removed?

No one has confirmed it at all. Actually of the few people that have rode it have just said it is in a very different position than normal. To where it looks like it is leaning over quite a bit. But as far as we know it's the same ole broken Yeti. :(

Andrew54

you dont need video..A mode he is actually moving and kinda leaps then swipes down across the top of the car. In B mode he is in a staged position with a strobe light..

AJScooch

Hope it's fixed!!

I'm very disappointed to hear that the Yeti isn't fully functioning. Rode E:E when it first opened and thought it was the best ride I've ever been on, in part because of the Yeti. I'm heading down in August and really hope it's repaired.

On another note, I was unsure about one of the acronyms used in someone's post. I believe it was on page 5 of this thread. LoW? I am new to the forum and have picked up on most of them but this one is baffling me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom