Yeti been switched out for repair? Something new in the cave

WDWExplorer

Banned
I wouldn't classify the 'bird on a stick' as quite as bad as the yeti.. he works more often than people give credit for.... he was working just the other day, and a couple weeks back when I rode EE as well

IWant2GoNow

I wouldn't classify the 'bird on a stick' as quite as bad as the yeti.. he works more often than people give credit for.... he was working just the other day, and a couple weeks back when I rode EE as well

I'm not sure if I've ever remembered seeing the bird on a stick. Maybe once but I can honestly say I never knew it was an actual effect until I signed up for this site.

Master Gracey 5

I noticed the bird one of the last times I was there. I think you are more likely to miss it if you sit at the back (my preference). Yeah its low tech, but I'm not going to get worked up about it if it isn't working. Its not a major effect for the ride, so it doesn't deserve the same scrutiny as the Yeti.

imagineer boy

I noticed the bird one of the last times I was there. I think you are more likely to miss it if you sit at the back (my preference). Yeah its low tech, but I'm not going to get worked up about it if it isn't working. Its not a major effect for the ride, so it doesn't deserve the same scrutiny as the Yeti.

Agreed. Of all the broken effects, I can definately say that this is the one that can stay broken for all I care. :lol:

But it is rather embarrassing that such a crummy effect breaks so much.

Ziffell

I don't think it's so much an issue of whether or not it's working. To me, it's just the fact that it's such a wasted opportunity. They have a captive audience for a significant amount of time while the track switches, and this is the best thing they could put there?

goreesha

Can't they just get one of the gorillas from the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail to fill in for the yeti while they remove it for repairs? A live gorilla, just like the a-mode yeti, would be a primate, would move about in a realistic fashion, and might even take a swipe at the passing trains.

Can't they just get one of the gorillas from the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail to fill in for the yeti while they remove it for repairs? A live gorilla, just like the a-mode yeti, would be a primate, would move about in a realistic fashion, and might even take a swipe at the passing trains.

Hilarious. After my last visit, I can just picture this :ROFLOL:

techiegsy

Wasn't the bird effect originally supposed to be yours 1st of multiple yeti encounters? Not necessarily full-body but, like, an arm or something? And then later on in development the multiple yeti encounters idea was dropped? I know Shadow of the Yeti was originally going to be much more than a shadow...

May have been, I remember suggesting the arm a while ago on a thread about the yeti...

I believe the bird is there as some form of warning, the exact bird chosen has certain "beliefs" attached with it in Asia. I always liked that effect for that reason, its a little detail... So what if its a bird on a stick, how would you get a bird to fly on that mountain top!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
May have been, I remember suggesting the arm a while ago on a thread about the yeti...

I believe the bird is there as some form of warning, the exact bird chosen has certain "beliefs" attached with it in Asia. I always liked that effect for that reason, its a little detail... So what if its a bird on a stick, how would you get a bird to fly on that mountain top!
I would have gone with a monofilament trapeze that would have allowed movement on at least 2 axises and better simulated a bird floating on a thermal updraft.

SleepingMonk

The poo flinging could be an issue.

Rob562

I would have gone with a monofilament trapeze that would have allowed movement on at least 2 axises and better simulated a bird floating on a thermal updraft.

Doesn't even have to be that involved. Just allow the bird to pivot on its "stick" a bit so that it can pitch up and down a little, and have it "waft" a bit more in its up-and-down movements. (Picture your arm sticking out of the car window on the highway, where your hand in the bird and your arm is the stick. You can do a lot visually with just pitch and height changes)
I'd also once posted an additional idea of it wafting very high up, and then as the train starts backward, it pitches nose-down and dives down out of sight as if it were diving after some prey down below.

-Rob

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Doesn't even have to be that involved. Just allow the bird to pivot on its "stick" a bit so that it can pitch up and down a little, and have it "waft" a bit more in its up-and-down movements. (Picture your arm sticking out of the car window on the highway, where your hand in the bird and your arm is the stick. You can do a lot visually with just pitch and height changes)
I'd also once posted an additional idea of it wafting very high up, and then as the train starts backward, it pitches nose-down and dives down out of sight as if it were diving after some prey down below.

-Rob
My main aim was to get rid of the stick. The way I envisioned the effect working was to have the bird rise up as you were stopping on the broken tracks. Then have it float around form side to side and then dive down out of sight as the train releases.

Rob562

My main aim was to get rid of the stick. The way I envisioned the effect working was to have the bird rise up as you were stopping on the broken tracks. Then have it float around form side to side and then dive down out of sight as the train releases.

That high up in the air, pretty much open to wind gusts from any direction, I think a solid anchor would be the only option that would work.

-Rob

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That high up in the air, pretty much open to wind gusts from any direction, I think a solid anchor would be the only option that would work.

-Rob
Definitely possible but I would still like to give it a whirl. If the Nazis can build a base on the moon we can certainly get a realistic floating bird effect.:lol:

friedriches

I'd never ridden E:E before January of this year and I throughly enjoyed the ride and would likely consider it among my top three Disney Thrill rides (Crush's Coaster and Mission: Space being the other two) but was perplexed by strobe light Yeti.

Knowing now the reason behind the B-Grade local theme park trick of a strobe light from Wal-Mart makes me sad, but it definitely explains a lot.

As to the individual who said you travel past the Yeti too quickly... It's a thrill ride. Seeing it clearly only adds to the terror.

LoriMistress

Remember King Kong? Yea, we don't want to relieve that. I can picture the gorilla AKA: the new Yeti, on top of Cinderella's Castle holding Snow White in his hand, fighting off Peter Pan and the Lost Boys. :lol:

Ziffell

As to the individual who said you travel past the Yeti too quickly... It's a thrill ride. Seeing it clearly only adds to the terror.

Unless I've just misunderstood you, or there's a typo in your post, it kind of sounds like you're contradicting yourself here. You say that "seeing it clearly adds to the terror". But whizzing past it really fast isn't exactly seeing it "clearly". Or did you mean to say that seeing it "quickly" adds to the terror?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom