Yeti been switched out for repair? Something new in the cave

darthspielberg

This page...it's full of FIX ME avatars. It's kind of amazing.

As someone who will experience Everest for the first time next week, I am disappointed that it will be in B-Mode (althought I secretly hope Joe Rhodes or some other Disney big-wig is in the park so it's on it's A-game) but still looking forward to the ride.

and while some may suggest I not go on it until it gets the Yeti fixed...not a chance. This may be my only chance to ride it in the next four years.

IWant2GoNow

This page...it's full of FIX ME avatars. It's kind of amazing.

As someone who will experience Everest for the first time next week, I am disappointed that it will be in B-Mode (althought I secretly hope Joe Rhodes or some other Disney big-wig is in the park so it's on it's A-game) but still looking forward to the ride.

and while some may suggest I not go on it until it gets the Yeti fixed...not a chance. This may be my only chance to ride it in the next four years.

Yea most definitely ride it for the coaster itself. Just remember how the Yeti is your first time that way if/when they fix him you'll be REALLY wowed next time! Have fun on your trip! :)

Skyway

I know I'm going to get attacked for this comment, but I'll say it anyway.

First of all, I applaud WDI for putting in the money and effort to make a high-tech animatronic like the Yeti, regardless of it's reliability. They could have easily designed Everest with a permanent "B" mode, and none of us would know any different.

With that said, I always thought the Yeti's cost and technology was wasted, based on how it is used in the ride.

You travel past the Yeti WAY too fast to appreciate what it does.

It would be like putting the new DL Abe Lincoln along the tracks of Space Mountain. Sure, the technology is amazing, but you're whizzing by too fast to notice the subtle movements.

Think of the mining town on BTMRR. Riders do not notice how low-tech those animatronics are, because the trains travel by so fast. But at least the mining town can also be viewed from the railroad. The Yeti doesn't even have a secondary viewing spot to be appreciated.

I am certain that WDI intentionally designed the coaster to travel past the Yeti at that speed, with that extremely brief encounter. Using computer models prior to the ride's construction, WDI had every opportunity to preview the fly-by, and then either slow the track or re-design the approach to the Yeti.

I'm sure there are some that justify the split-second Yeti sighting as a storytelling technique (kind of like the way Spielberg kept the shark hidden in the original Jaws to build suspense).

I'm not debating whether the Yeti should be seen in a blink, or something painfully prolonged (like Universal's "Kong", which lingered on the animatronic too long).

But with the choice of doing a quick fly-by of the Yeti, it seems pointless to have spent so much money building it with first-of-its-kind technology.

The result, unfortunately, is a Yeti that doesn't work properly right now.

And face it...."B" mode isn't THAT bad. (It ain't great, but it's also not like replacing Abe Lincoln with a motionless wax figure.)

If and when the Yeti is repaired, I don't think it is necessary for WDI to return it to its opening day operation (especially if the Yeti's movements are what's causing its breakdown). I'm sure there is a spot somewhere between "A" and "B" that will achieve the same effect for riders, without breaking the bank or breaking the Yeti.

I'd normally never advocate cutting corners at Disney. But the Yeti never needed to be so advanced in the first place, and I'd be fine if he played a more subtle role after repairs.

djkidkaz

First of all, I applaud WDI for putting in the money and effort to make a high-tech animatronic like the Yeti, regardless of it's reliability. They could have easily designed Everest with a permanent "B" mode, and none of us would know any different.

With that said, I always thought the Yeti's cost and technology was wasted, based on how it is used in the ride.

It would be like putting the new DL Abe Lincoln along the tracks of Space Mountain. Sure, the technology is amazing, but you're whizzing by too fast to notice the subtle movements.

Think of the mining town on BTMRR. Riders do not notice how low-tech those animatronics are, because the trains travel by so fast. But at least the mining town can also be viewed from the railroad. The Yeti doesn't even have a secondary viewing spot to be appreciated.

I am certain that WDI intentionally designed the coaster to travel past the Yeti at that speed, with that extremely brief encounter. Using computer models prior to the ride's construction, WDI had every opportunity to preview the fly-by, and then either slow the track or re-design the approach to the Yeti.

I'm sure there are some that justify the split-second Yeti sighting as a storytelling technique (kind of like the way Spielberg kept the shark hidden in the original Jaws to build suspense).

I'm not debating whether the Yeti should be seen in a blink, or something painfully prolonged (like Universal's "Kong", which lingered on the animatronic too long).

But with the choice of doing a quick fly-by of the Yeti, it seems pointless to have spent so much money building it with first-of-its-kind technology.

And face it...."B" mode isn't THAT bad. (It ain't great, but it's also not like replacing Abe Lincoln with a motionless wax figure.)

If and when the Yeti is repaired, I don't think it is necessary for WDI to return it to its opening day operation (especially if the Yeti's movements are what's causing its breakdown). I'm sure there is a spot somewhere between "A" and "B" that will achieve the same effect for riders, without breaking the bank or breaking the Yeti.

I'd normally never advocate cutting corners at Disney. But the Yeti never needed to be so advanced in the first place, and I'd be fine if he played a more subtle role after repairs.

Yes it is.

montyz81

It is called attention to detail. If they didn't do it, then the purists would notice and complain. Similar to the way purists complain about Imagination, and some of the newer rides coming out of imagineering. To me the split second experience with the yeti in A mode is far better then the entire Toy Story Mania ride. TSM is one big video game which I now have here at my house, that is how pathetic it is. You could never get that experience with a Yeti with that much attention to detail into a video game.

IWant2GoNow

You're right, it's like replacing Abe Lincoln with a motionless wax figure with a strobe light on him. :lol:

I kid. I know it may not seem like a huge deal to a lot of people but some of the posts I've read on here have kinda surprised me. Especially when a first time rider says that they didn't even SEE the Yeti at the end. I remember in 2006 when it was in its full on A-mode, my eyes were fixed on that AA from the time I entered the cave until we flew by it. And my immediate reaction was "holy crap how did they do that I must ride it again". I would hope others could have that same reaction in the future, but for now it's probably more like "that big Yeti stuffed animal with the strobe light on it was pretty neat".

WDITrent

It is called attention to detail. If they didn't do it, then the purists would notice and complain.
Well, forget about purists. Think about the rest of the guests, who will find A-mode much, much more thrilling. It looked real in A-mode. You weren't suggested that it could move, it actually did, and you saw it with your own eyes for six seconds straight.

You're right, it's like replacing Abe Lincoln with a motionless wax figure with a strobe light on him. :lol:

I kid. I know it may not seem like a huge deal to a lot of people but some of the posts I've read on here have kinda surprised me. Especially when a first time rider says that they didn't even SEE the Yeti at the end. I remember in 2006 when it was in its full on A-mode, my eyes were fixed on that AA from the time I entered the cave until we flew by it. And my immediate reaction was "holy crap how did they do that I must ride it again". I would hope others could have that same reaction in the future, but for now it's probably more like "that big Yeti stuffed animal with the strobe light on it was pretty neat".
Exactly.

And you know, the Matterhorn has a stuffed animal with a strobe light at the end too. The Yeti is supposed to be a real animal in DAK.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
IAnd face it...."B" mode isn't THAT bad. (It ain't great, but it's also not like replacing Abe Lincoln with a motionless wax figure.)

Yes B mode is THAT bad. And currently, B mode is more like a Z mode from recent reports.

An attraction of the calibre of EE needs to have it's signature effect working 100% - simple as that.

BrerFrog

Those were exactly my thoughts when I rode it for the first time on November 2008. I had read about the Yeti's movements by then, but I didn't know about his B-mode so as the coaster passed on that cave I thought "Wait, I don't think it moved... maybe it's broken". However, after riding that thing another 20 times through my program I realized that was his "normal" state.

djkidkaz

Yes B mode is THAT bad. And currently, B mode is more like a Z mode from recent reports.

An attraction of the calibre of EE needs to have it's signature effect working 100% - simple as that.

BINGO! Thats what it is! Its the fact that its the signature effect of the parks E-ticket attraction. You can see Everest before you even enter the park and half of Asia is built around the story of the Yeti. In the queue you see static photographs of the supposed Yeti, then eventually you see a shadow of the Yeti, so the obvious ending is to finally see him full on moving, making you aware that he DOES exist. There is no way you should get off and be like "wait, was there a Yeti?"

elfshadowreaper

In his current state is it easy to not even see him? Because I remember barely seeing him amid the strobes back in 2008. I knew to look for him, but my family will likely miss him if he's not lit up better. At least they should just leave some lights on so people can see him.

In his current state is it easy to not even see him? Because I remember barely seeing him amid the strobes back in 2008. I knew to look for him, but my family will likely miss him if he's not lit up better. At least they should just leave some lights on so people can see him.

Yes it can be easily missed...you need to be on the lookout for it

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

I recall initially thinking/wishing that the AA would have been where the projection was and visa versa. For the simple fact that I want to see him more or an extended period of time due to his incredible movements and detail.

Granted, I realize that the story wouldn't be a strong with the ending and you finally meeting him face to face.

EpcotServo

There is no way you should get off and be like "wait, was there a Yeti?"

Actually the whole point WAS that you second guess yourself about what you saw. To leave some mystery about the experience than have it all be exposition. To quote one of the Imagineers: "When you first see the Yeti, you won't really know what you'll be seeing. It'll be this fast, ferocious blur of hair and nails, and you'll have to go back several times..."

TalkingHead

Actually the whole point WAS that you second guess yourself about what you saw. To leave some mystery about the experience than have it all be exposition. To quote one of the Imagineers: "When you first see the Yeti, you won't really know what you'll be seeing. It'll be this fast, ferocious blur of hair and nails, and you'll have to go back several times..."

I appreciate the attempt to do something ambitious, but this explanation has always seemed a little too high-concept for a theme park attraction. Especially when all the publicity was focused on how impressive the Yeti AA is.

Thurp

Skyway - I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize, but, have you actually seen the Yeti in A mode?

It's simply breathtaking. The Yeti is illuminated the whole time so you first see him from a distance and then the way he moves, and how close he gets to the cars. It's fantastic.

I have taken first time riders on Everest several times and they always miss the Yeti. So we ride again and I tell them where to look at and I scream at them when to look. They often miss it the second time around too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom