Y'all should ...

El Grupo

Reading some of the comments regarding Disney setting a hard ceiling on the Avatar budget led me to a different concern: why is it that Universal can spend approx. 60% of that budget and deliver a Potterland, but Disney will probably struggle to produce more than a couple of attractions for that sum? That is the issue that really needs to be resolved at Burbank.

As for AK, I'd much rather see the entire park turned into an Adventureland of sorts with the addition of a Discovery Bay, Mystic Manor and Mysterious Island. The adventurers/explorers theme could be embraced by all existing attractions. But, that's just my wish.

nytimez

Since 74 has let the cat out of the bag I guess it doesn't hurt to open it all the way up. For the past 2 weeks I've been speaking with a certain atarist and he can verify the content of our conversation.
The proposal for avatar is three rides a vekoma motorbike coaster thru the floating mountains e-ticket.
Soaring 2.0 in 3d no explanation needed
And a Pandorian zoo.
The only thing stopping this is Disney wants a 20% cost reduction across the board. Cameron ain't having it.
If this proposal does go thru look for groundbreaking in may. As I said believe it or not my source usually has universal info but this time he had a Disney surprise for me.

Avatar wouldn't be my first choice of a property to develop at AK, but if they do it right I certainly think these could be amazing attractions.

Thanks for the info.

M.rudolf

Avatar wouldn't be my first choice of a property to develop at AK, but if they do it right I certainly think these could be amazing attractions.

Thanks for the info.
It will be done right imagine entering the land thru the Pandorian zoo then seeing the floating mountains.i think Disney knows they can't do this improperly they just are trying to lower costs, Cameron said no so they are going to try and cut cost in other things

Viget

Since 74 has let the cat out of the bag I guess it doesn't hurt to open it all the way up. For the past 2 weeks I've been speaking with a certain atarist and he can verify the content of our conversation.
The proposal for avatar is three rides a vekoma motorbike coaster thru the floating mountains e-ticket.
And a Pandorian zoo.
The only thing stopping this is Disney wants a 20% cost reduction across the board. Cameron ain't having it.
If this proposal does go thru look for groundbreaking in may. As I said believe it or not my source usually has universal info but this time he had a Disney surprise for me.

Wow! Juicy info, Rudolf! :)

So what would the "second E ticket" have been? Or is Soarin' 2.0 the second E ticket?

I can't believe TDO's thinking on this. At first, it's "Hey we need someone to help us counteract Potter. Mr. Cameron, we'll give you $500 mil and you go and give us something incredible." Then, after WDI and JC blue sky it, likely under budget, they say, "Oops, about that $500 mil, well it's really like $400 mil. And we want you to cut most of it from the big E ticket." How does that make any sense when the E ticket will likely be something that will finally compete with Potter? Don't they get that?!?!

nytimez

It will be done right imagine entering the land thru the Pandorian zoo then seeing the floating mountains.i think Disney knows they can't do this improperly they just are trying to lower costs, Cameron said no so they are going to try and cut cost in other things

Sounds like a winner to me.

rle4lunch

I agree, Indy is a great ride. But have you been on Racers yet? It's truly fantastic. I think it edged Indy out of the top 3 for me in Anaheim. However, Indiana Jones in Disneyland is now closed for a three and a half month rehab, and there's rumors it's getting some new eye candy and tech upgrades, so when it reopens it may be neck and neck with Racers.

But Radiator Springs Racers is just so impressive, from the soaring mountains to the talking cars to the race through the desert. Racers is modern Disney showmanship at its very best. And most expensive. :cool:

It truly is a great ride, but it's a tad too short. Another 30 seconds would equate to the PERFECT ride.

SirLink

And a Pandorian zoo.

Lets back up the truck a sec why not to Pony Express themed to Dire Horses through the jungle? Instead they want a motorbike themed coaster based on flying creatures?

cheezbat

I agree, Indy is a great ride. But have you been on Racers yet? It's truly fantastic. I think it edged Indy out of the top 3 for me in Anaheim. However, Indiana Jones in Disneyland is now closed for a three and a half month rehab, and there's rumors it's getting some new eye candy and tech upgrades, so when it reopens it may be neck and neck with Racers.

But Radiator Springs Racers is just so impressive, from the soaring mountains to the talking cars to the race through the desert. Racers is modern Disney showmanship at its very best. And most expensive. :cool:

Yep I rode it. It's a great ride...way better than Test Track, but still not as good as Indy in my opinion. Indy has adventure and is epic...radiator Springs Racers is just a fun ride...it's just not the same for me.

SirLink

that i dont have answer for. Why not Im up for anything.

I dunno I think having two rides based on flying may not be the best thing, variety spice of life. Actually does anyone have any of the executive email addresses I feel like just emailing them something along the line of "You have to spend money to make money"

bubbles1812

Soarin 2.0 is second e remember Cameron makes films that cost over a billion so 100 million is like 10 bucks to him

Well...they certainly don't cost over a billion (at least not yet ;) )...but they certainly aren't inexpensive, lol. I think Fox must at this point just be resigned to giving him what he wants in terms of money and hoping for the best. There aren't too many directors that have made multiple billion dollar grossing films.

And a Pandorian zoo.

Very very intriguing if this is all true. I love the idea of the coaster through the floating mountains. That would be so freaking cool! It would appear that this is the ride TDO is so reluctant to spend the money on, per Lee's post. It's so sad really that this is the one they don't want spend the money on putting in as this would be something knew to the parks in WDW, as opposed to Soarin' 2.0. Typical TDO.

Soarin' 2.0... eh... I'm sure it'll be fun to fly over Pandora though I'd love to see something not so similar to another ride. Cameron did mention they were developing something to do with "flying" so I assume that this is what is was. This is the one I'd choose to axe if push came to shove on budget. If we can have both, then I'm sure I'd like this, just wouldn't be my first pick to keep. I hope we get both.

Actually am really intrigued by the idea of a Pandoran zoo. If the the story was weak, at least the world created are not. I thought the creatures were all interesting twists of animals on Earth. I would so like the salamander that spins! ;) And since the second movie is rumored to involve the ocean, I'm sure there are more cool critters they could incorporate. Would this be an omnimover/animatronic ride? I'm not sure how else they would do that otherwise.

You go Mr Cameron! Please get Disney to spend money they really shouldn't have a problem spending in the first place except for the fact that management is a bunch of cheapskates, relatively speaking. Sad they want to take out a 5th of the budget already.

M.rudolf

Well...the certainly don't cost over a billion...but they certainly aren't inexpensive, lol. I think Fox must at this point just be resigned to giving him what he wants in terms of money and hoping for the best...There aren't too many directors that have made multiple billion dollar grossing films.

Very very intriguing if this is all true. I love the idea of the motorbike coaster through the floating mountains. That would be so freaking cool! It would appear that this is the ride TDO is so reluctant to spend the money on, per Lee's post. It's so sad really that this is the one they don't want spend the money on putting in as this would be something knew to the parks in WDW, as opposed to Soarin' 2.0. Typical TDO.

Soarin' 2.0... eh... I'm sure it'll be fun to fly over Pandora though I'd love to see something not so similar to another ride. Cameron did mention they were developing something to do with "flying" so I assume that this is what is was. This is the one I'd choose to axe if push came to shove on budget.

Actually am really intrigued by the idea of a Pandoran zoo. If the the story was weak, at least those animals created are not. I would so like the salamander that spins! ;) And since the second movie is rumored to involve the ocean, I'm sure there are more cool critters they could incorporate. Would this be an omnimover/animatronic ride? I'm not sure how else they would do that otherwise.

You go Mr Cameron! Please get Disney to spend money they really shouldn't have a problem spending in the first place except for the fact that management is a bunch of cheapskates.
From what I was told it will be the entrance to the land probably a people mover with a large wlkway think entrance from parking garageat universal

Atomicmickey

Soarin' 2.0 could have an entirely new motion base to ride in, could be quite cool.
I don't think we'd see the exact ride system. I mean, I'm just guessing, but my
money would be on 'next-generation' tech.

Skyway

Why would Cameron care what the dollar value budget is, when it would fall on Disney to wisely or unwisely spend that money?

I assume Cameron's role would be to approve or reject proposals delivered by WDI. Whether they show him something cheap or expensive doesn't matter, as long as he likes the final project.

(Maybe those who say Cameron wants a higher budget really mean to say that he doesn't like the proposals WDI has shown him, and Disney refuses to present or back more expensive ones?)

Also, is it possible Disney may be trying to pull a NFE thing here, where they want to reallocate the budget of the original project to create a more diverse new project (in FLE's case, trading Pixie Hollow and Princess houses for SDMT).

Could it be that Disney finds it smart to do a scaled back Avatar project (which still seems like a risky gamble) so they can funnel more money to a proven winner like Carsland? That way, they get two promotable projects instead of one.

cheezbat

Soarin' 2.0 could have an entirely new motion base to ride in, could be quite cool.
I don't think we'd see the exact ride system. I mean, I'm just guessing, but my
money would be on 'next-generation' tech.

That I'm sort of doubting. A new ride system equals even more money spent on R&D. I'm all for scrapping the Soarin 2.0 for a DARK RIDE. Do you realize what this attraction could do to Soarin? Think Star Tours and Body Wars. Suddenly Soarin becomes the lesser liked and 'outdated' stepchild.

CBOMB

Ouch! Coach? The truth is out.

I appreciate the info spirit gives as well as his writing style. What I am not sure of is all of the bragging about not paying for things and being in the 1% is genuine or humor.
It would make sense if it's humor. Then it would be ripping on the bloggers who get paid with free stuff.
If its genuine, then it's tacky.
Spirit is out in California, once again, sponging off of the Hollywood Crowd, living the 1% lifestyle right now.
I don't know how Lee manages to put up with his ego when he returns from yet another West Coast jaunt.

bubbles1812

Reading some of the comments regarding Disney setting a hard ceiling on the Avatar budget led me to a different concern: why is it that Universal can spend approx. 60% of that budget and deliver a Potterland, but Disney will probably struggle to produce more than a couple of attractions for that sum? That is the issue that really needs to be resolved at Burbank.

As for AK, I'd much rather see the entire park turned into an Adventureland of sorts with the addition of a Discovery Bay, Mystic Manor and Mysterious Island. The adventurers/explorers theme could be embraced by all existing attractions. But, that's just my wish.

Because Disney's bureaucracy is super bloated and inefficient. I don't want people to lose their jobs but at the same time...they are just seriously seriously inefficient, and could probably stand to work on streamlining they way ideas/proposals/whateverhaveyou move forward. Universal seems to have some of the same problem from what other posters have said but less so than the mouse house.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why would Cameron care what the dollar value budget is, when it would fall on Disney to wisely or unwisely spend that money?

I assume Cameron's role would be to approve or reject proposals delivered by WDI. Whether they show him something cheap or expensive doesn't matter, as long as he likes the final project.

(Maybe those who say Cameron wants a higher budget really mean to say that he doesn't like the proposals WDI has shown him, and Disney refuses to present or back more expensive ones?)

Also, is it possible Disney may be trying to pull a NFE thing here, where they want to reallocate the budget of the original project to create a more diverse new project (in FLE's case, trading Pixie Hollow and Princess houses for SDMT).

Could it be that Disney finds it smart to do a scaled back Avatar project (which still seems like a risky gamble) so they can funnel more money to a proven winner like Carsland? That way, they get two promotable projects instead of one.

I would think Cameron's involvement would go beyond just approving concepts that WDI comes up with. I assume he is having creative input throughout the process and offering ideas on what he wants to see in the attractions. He may have grander ideas for the attractions then Disney is willing to spend for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom