Y'all should ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why would Cameron care what the dollar value budget is, when it would fall on Disney to wisely or unwisely spend that money?

Uhmm.. for the same reason how much a toy cost mattered to you at Christmas.. even tho it was your parents buying it? Unlimited desire by one person does not equate to unlimited resources from another.

Cameron is gonna be in a creative role too - not just a rubber stamper. And if he says 'cool, but I want it like this...' that still has to be paid for. So either compromise or someone needs to open the checkbook again.

bubbles1812

Why would Cameron care what the dollar value budget is, when it would fall on Disney to wisely or unwisely spend that money?

I assume Cameron's role would be to approve or reject proposals delivered by WDI. Whether they show him something cheap or expensive doesn't matter, as long as he likes the final project.

(Maybe those who say Cameron wants a higher budget really mean to say that he doesn't like the proposals WDI has shown him, and Disney refuses to present or back more expensive ones?)

Also, is it possible Disney may be trying to pull a NFE thing here, where they want to reallocate the budget of the original project to create a more diverse new project (in FLE's case, trading Pixie Hollow and Princess houses for SDMT).

Could it be that Disney finds it smart to do a scaled back Avatar project (which still seems like a risky gamble) so they can funnel more money to a proven winner like Carsland? That way, they get two promotable projects instead of one.

I would assume Cameron has been very involved in the creative process for Avatarland. I don't think it was just a "oh here, yes I give you approval to use the world I created. Nah, I don't want to participate in making sure that the world you are going to make fits with my vision." Cameron is very into technology..hence Avatar existing at all. This type of project seems like something he would have fun with. Does that mean I think he is involved with every step of the design process? No. But he has the technological know how to probably understand a decent amount of what is going on and also have a lot of insight on projects. I always go back to Titanic and more so than anything on that movie, look at the effects. It was really amazing what he did to bring that ship to life, especially during it's sinking. He probably had a vision for Avatarland going into the project, saw ride designs that he liked/probably at least had some input on, and is sticking with it.

It would appear the current proposal as talked about in this thread, is either at the ceiling that was set for the budget (or maybe some above?) but as I understood, Disney wants to take the budget ceiling they set and now remove 20% of that budget.That's a huge chunk of money so I can see Cameron not putting up with that.

And sorry, I just highly highly doubt that they are thinking along the lines of your last two sentences. At this point in times, it seems like they Carsland coming to WDW is just maybe maybe barely on the table (if at all). It seems like it's just more of a future hope at this point to me. Maybe I'm wrong and some insiders have insight into that?

El Grupo

I suspect that Cameron would be most concerned about seeing his creative vision for these attractions realized whatever the costs. And, I'm guessing his focus is quality work, not a budget. The issue is that this will probably require more than what Disney wants to commit to the project.

With that stated, if Cameron's goal could be achieved for 50% of the amount initially budgeted by Disney, I would hope that he does not care about a lesser amount being spent.

NoChesterHester

It will be done right imagine entering the land thru the Pandorian zoo then seeing the floating mountains.i think Disney knows they can't do this improperly they just are trying to lower costs, Cameron said no so they are going to try and cut cost in other things

Great info. Thanks for the post.

RSoxNo1

One of the rumors if Disney were to have built Potter World was a Care of Magical Creatures Petting Zoo. I wonder how many of these concepts were dusted off. For those people tempted to question M.Rudolph's info, it checks out. I wouldn't be surprised to see some insiders jump in here soon.

Having said that, with these plans likely being very fluid it's still very promising that money seems to be available for new attractions in these parks.

twebber55

One of the rumors if Disney were to have built Potter World was a Care of Magical Creatures Petting Zoo. I wonder how many of these concepts were dusted off. For those people tempted to question M.Rudolph's info, it checks out. I wouldn't be surprised to see some insiders jump in here soon.

Having said that, with these plans likely being very fluid it's still very promising that money seems to be available for new attractions in these parks.
I have two passions/hobbies..theme parks and college football recruiting (strange combo right?) but one of the things they have in common is everything is always fluid and can change at any moment... so im really gonna try and learn to be more patient on all of these projects

El Grupo

I have two passions/hobbies..theme parks and college football recruiting (strange combo right?) but one of the things they have in common is everything is always fluid and can change at any moment... so im really gonna try and learn to be more patient on all of these projects

Not so strange at all, at least from my perspective. But, I'm from the South, where the SEC is king and a college program needs to consistently be in the Top-15 in recruiting to remain successful.

And yes, things are fluid in both cases until contracts/Letters of Commitment are signed.

M.rudolf

Thanks kept my mouth/keyboard as quiet as long as I could it got really hard when everyone said the project was dead

El Grupo

Seems like there has been some reasonable speculation about whether Iger would actually remain with Disney through his announced resignation date since some internally were supposedly pushing for an earlier departure.

With this in mind, if the Avatar can potentially gets kicked further down the road over creative differences, I wonder how much support will remain for the project from key executives, especially if this is seen as being Iger's baby.

M.rudolf

Seems like there has been some reasonable speculation about whether Iger would actually remain with Disney through his announced resignation date since some internally were supposedly pushing for an earlier departure.

With this in mind, if the Avatar can potentially gets kicked further down the road over creative differences, I wonder how much support will remain for the project from key executives, especially if this is seen as being Iger's baby.

Depends on how much money has already been spent. If ground has been broken it will open. If its still in limbo it may get the axe

Ignohippo

I'm sure that's a huge part of the delays. There's probably a huge tug of war going on within Disney - some who want it killed and are hoping to stall it long enough for a new regime to come in and kill it; some who have accepted it IF it can be done at a cost that won't be completely debilitating if Avatar 2 & 3 bomb; and others who want it killed because they're hoping for other projects at WDW (see: CarsLand).

I'd bet the CarsLand info was leaked to try to get a groundswell of public opinion to build it rather than Avatar. I imagine there are quite a few within Disney that would do just about anything to get Avatar killed.

It's bizarre that the CarsLand and major DTD expansion rumors would hit right around the same time....

M.rudolf

I'm sure that's a huge part of the delays. There's probably a huge tug of war going on within Disney - some who want it killed and are hoping to stall it long enough for a new regime to come in and kill it; some who have accepted it IF it can be done at a cost that won't be completely debilitating if Avatar 2 & 3 bomb; and others who want it killed because they're hoping for other projects at WDW (see: CarsLand).

I'd bet the CarsLand info was leaked to try to get a groundswell of public opinion to build it rather than Avatar. I imagine there are quite a few within Disney that would do just about anything to get Avatar killed.

It's bizarre that the CarsLand and major DTD expansion rumors would hit right around the same time....
Your basically hitting the nail square
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/posts/5129666/

nytimez

Think about how awesome the Vekoma Motorbike Coaster would be as a speeder bike ride through the forests of Endor.

Just sayin'...

Great attractions. Wrong property.

Star Wars overall is way more awesome than Avatar. But a ride through Endor? Really? I'd much rather ride through Pandora than the Redwood Forest. Endor speeder bike ride = booooooring.

Ignohippo

Your basically hitting the nail square
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/posts/5129666/

Thanks M! Spirit has corroborated what I've been saying about Avatar as well.

It's funny how, if you just take a step back and look at everything that's going on right now, it's really clear as day what's going on. It doesn't help matters that 2 & 3 have been delayed either.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lassater float a new project shortly for DHS to try to get the CarsLand clone killed, too. We'll see if new rumors get leaked in the next few weeks of a massive Pixar Place expansion (that doesn't rely so heavily on the Cars franchise). It wouldn't surprise me a bit.

M.rudolf

Thanks M! Spirit has corroborated what I've been saying about Avatar as well.

It's funny how, if you just take a step back and look at everything that's going on right now, it's really clear as day what's going on. It doesn't help matters that 2 & 3 have been delayed either.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lassater float a new project shortly for DHS to try to get the CarsLand clone killed, too. We'll see if new rumors get leaked in the next few weeks of a massive Pixar Place expansion (that doesn't rely so heavily on the Cars franchise). It wouldn't surprise me a bit.
I'm surprised it hasn't happened already there are people in this camp,people in another camp, jobs are at stake and every one wants to keep theirs

Ignohippo

Star Wars overall is way more awesome than Avatar. But a ride through Endor? Really? I'd much rather ride through Pandora than the Redwood Forest. Endor speeder bike ride = booooooring.

You're nuts. It'd be fantastic (and a hell of a lot cheaper to build than the Pandora one, too). Just think if they built an Ewok treetop village to explore as part of it, like the Swiss Family Treehouse. Besides, it'd only be one component of a SW expansion anyway.

We used to have a coaster that went through the trees at a park that I worked at. It was incredible. It was amazing how much the environment added to the ride.

Ignohippo

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already there are people in this camp,people in another camp, jobs are at stake and every one wants to keep theirs

I'm sure they're working on it. If Lasseter is as against the CL clone as some would suggest, I have no doubt he'd have the imagineers working on a different proposal to present. I could see the reasons for the argument, but I don't know if I buy that he's the one that's against it.

The fact that it overlays perfectly onto the DHS property would suggest that it was designed to be cloned for DHS from the very beginning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom