Y'all should ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not really. The 2000 acres Uni was forced to sell was mostly land that could have been developed. RCID's 10-year plan shows how little of the remaining acreage is easily available for development. The last report suggests there's enough left for one major and two minor theme parks. (I strongly suspect they could recover more, if needed, but at increased cost.)

However, my point is that Universal did what it did because it was trying to stay solvent. Disney's only reason for selling land was to increase annual profits. The problem with selling an asset (such as land) is it generates revenue once. It makes the annual statement look good but doesn't help 5 or 10 years down the road. Develop that land wisely and, financially, it's a gift that keeps on giving year after year. TWDC sold land because it was padding annual statements, not because it made long-term financial sense for the company. As a result, we have housing/resorts such as Celebration, Golden Oak, and Wyndham Bonnet Creek instead of additional recreational facilities.

In my opinion the last thing Disney needs is more property. They overbuilt the property that is developed. Selling some off is no big deal in my opinion. Universal, like Disneyland, needs land desperately to expand. That is why I think of it as a real opportunity lost for Universal.

Californian Elitist

In my opinion the last thing Disney needs is more property. They overbuilt the property that is developed. Selling some off is no big deal in my opinion. Universal, like Disneyland, needs land desperately to expand. That is why I think of it as a real opportunity lost for Universal.

There is unused land around Disneyland that Disney can use. They just haven't used it yet.

menamechris

Universal isn't in the situation they were in years ago. They are making money hand over fist. If they want the land, they will be able to acquire it. Especially now with a parent company that is willing to invest heavily into Universal parks. I am sure Universal is just waiting for the right time and the right deal. In the meantime, they can enjoy just raking in the cash...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Universal isn't in the situation they were in years ago. They are making money hand over fist. If they want the land, they will be able to acquire it. Especially now with a parent company that is willing to invest heavily into Universal parks. I am sure Universal is just waiting for the right time and the right deal. In the meantime, they can enjoy just raking in the cash...
Agreed. There is a price for everything and if they want the land back they should be able to buy it, but it will cost them a whole lot more than what they sold it for.

M.rudolf

Like many, I was not wildly enthused about bringing Avatar to DAK. I don't see the kids in the neighborhood playing with a lot of Avatar toys. However, Avatar's conservation theme does fit within DAK and nearly any well-executed "land" could be a huge hit. Beyond Avatar, I can't think of a major property that would fit in at DAK. (Any suggestions?)

I still think DAK would be been better served by dumping Avatar and going back to Beastly Kingdom.
The lion king, the jungle book,up, brave and Indy

Taylor

Man bitter sweet news day on the boards on one hand avatar is dead (which I was in favor of now DAK will be left to rot) but cars is green lit :)

M.rudolf

I dont think any of those will be a potter swatter except maybe indy....BUT i dont see how Indy is connected at all really.??? and is avatar forsure dead? I think avatar could be so cool!
Where do most of Indys adventures take place in the amazon, Egypt, and the jungle. Animal kingdom doesn't need a potter swatter they need a new land to make a complete park. Why compete with universal on the potter front. Why not build lands that are unique and individual that stand on there own merit. If they go into this thinking we have to build one land that will be better than potter it's a no win situation, but if they build and enhance what's already there they have a chance at a home run.
Also watch the first five minutes of raiders and tell me that you couldn't see how that fits into animal kingdom

MerlinTheGoat

Emperor's New Groove could potentially work with Animal Kingdom too IMO. Both it and Up could be in a potential South America land.

Indy could work thematically at the very least. Parts of all the films (except for Last Crusade) have numerous scenes in dense jungles and ancient temples. It doesn't necessarily have to be about animals. Although again Indiana Jones has plenty of parts where animals would work (snakes, spiders, etc). I've always kind of thought of Animal Kingdom not just as an animal-specific park but also open to an expanded Adventureland style park as well. Also will add that in its current state, Kali River Rapids has essentially nothing to do with animals (though I will say it's a shame we never got the original concept of Tiger River Run).

That being said, I could easily see a great Lion King ride propelling attendance if it's done on a great scale and with smart advertising. Even a Jungle Book ride despite not being as well known. It doesn't necessarily take a super popular franchise to be successful if you really go all out on the ride itself and also market it smartly.

Taylor

Where do most of Indys adventures take place in the amazon, Egypt, and the jungle. Animal kingdom doesn't need a potter swatter they need a new land to make a complete park. Why compete with universal on the potter front. Why not build lands that are unique and individual that stand on there own merit. If they go into this thinking we have to build one land that will be better than potter it's a no win situation, but if they build and enhance what's already there they have a chance at a home run.
Also watch the first five minutes of raiders and tell me that you couldn't see how that fits into animal kingdom
Yes you could make a case for Indy to thematicly fit all four parks the franchise is that wide ranged

ctxak98

......well...theres no animals. lol but I see your point in he travels the world and fits into some landscaped USED in animal kingdom but his movies really have nothing to do with conservation or animals..just my opinion and I have seen raiders probably over 50 times in my lifetime...I am obsessed. I think he would fit in adventureland, DHS, or maybe worldshowcase? but he is not animal kingdom for me!

ctxak98

Also another thing for me. The theme of Animal Kingdom should really have Beastly kingdom because it should include ALL animals Extinct, real and imaginary. with one more continent and beastly kingdom....the Park would be awesome.

M.rudolf

......well...theres no animals. lol but I see your point in he travels the world and fits into some landscaped USED in animal kingdom but his movies really have nothing to do with conservation or animals..just my opinion and I have seen raiders probably over 50 times in my lifetime...I am obsessed. I think he would fit in adventureland, DHS, or maybe worldshowcase? but he is not animal kingdom for me!
They have camels, lots of camels. Horses snakes spiders, lots of bugs oh and did I say snakes. Indys whole crusade is about the conservation of ancient artifacts. They even got aliens if you believe crystal skull was an Indy movie. One last thing did I say they have a lot of camels

M.rudolf

Emperor's New Groove could potentially work with Animal Kingdom too IMO. Both it and Up could be in a potential South America land.

Indy could work thematically at the very least. Parts of all the films (except for Last Crusade) have numerous scenes in dense jungles and ancient temples. It doesn't necessarily have to be about animals. Although again Indiana Jones has plenty of parts where animals would work (snakes, spiders, etc). I've always kind of thought of Animal Kingdom not just as an animal-specific park but also open to an expanded Adventureland style park as well. Also will add that in its current state, Kali River Rapids has essentially nothing to do with animals (though I will say it's a shame we never got the original concept of Tiger River Run).

That being said, I could easily see a great Lion King ride propelling attendance if it's done on a great scale and with smart advertising. Even a Jungle Book ride despite not being as well known. It doesn't necessarily take a super popular franchise to be successful if you really go all out on the ride itself and also market it smartly.
I always forget about Emperors New Groove, it's one of my favorites to put on when the kids are getting a little wild

ctxak98

They have camels, lots of camels. Horses snakes spiders, lots of bugs oh and did I say snakes. Indys whole crusade is about the conservation of ancient artifacts. They even got aliens if you believe crystal skull was an Indy movie
HAHA I meant of the environment! lol but good one. I just dont see how the name ANIMAL kingdom can be translated into an adventureland...But hey we all see things differently

ctxak98

I always forget about Emperors New Groove, it's one of my favorites to put on when the kids are getting a little wild
I agree this is a WAY underrated movie. I think animal kingdom would do well with a section of the park with rides on some of the popular ANIMAL disney movies that we never get much of like Jungle Book, Bambi, Brave, Recuers, Brother bear, and some others as well

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah, I'm actually a pretty big fan of it myself. Very different style of Disney animated movie for sure, almost Saturday morning cartoon style. But I quite like it, it's silly fun and I like the scenery in it. I think Kronk and Yzma really steal the show there.

Shame Disney apparently can't build anything new with Tarzan anymore either...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom