Y'all should ...

djlaosc

And if it ended up in Tomorrowland at the MK that just adds to the thematic mess.

On too of that, the Incredibles had their run. The movie came out years ago and there doesn't seem to be any plans for a sequel. I loved the movie, but it's relevance just doesn't seem the same as Cars or Monsters Inc right now.

True, Tomorrowland needs a big overhaul at some point. (I would like to see CoP move to Epcot, MILF and possibly SGE both moving to DHS, and Tomorrowland Speedway getting refurbished with electric/other futuristic fuel and something to look at while going round the course - but I doubt that all of that would happen any time soon.)

As for The Incredibles, I thought that it was all right, but it just seemed like it was building towards something, and then it just finished. The whole film just seemed like an opening act that was setting up for a bigger story, with the Underminer showing up. It's probably the Pixar film that most needs/is suited towards a sequel - it just didn't seem complete to me.

Timothy_Q

True, Tomorrowland needs a big overhaul at some point. (I would like to see CoP move to Epcot, MILF and possibly SGE both moving to DHS, and Tomorrowland Speedway getting refurbished with electric/other futuristic fuel and something to look at while going round the course - but I doubt that all of that would happen any time soon.)

Move SGE to DHS and theme it to Alien/Prometheus. That is all.

prfctlyximprct

umm no. there are people that "know" plenty. it's just a matter of how fluid things are inside the company. and you posted essentially the same thing in the carsland thread, which was met with similar responses. read through the pages. plenty of people are familiar with the inner workings of what's going on (namely the insiders who frequent these boards).

but if by "know," you mean you want something concrete, then i guess it's this: TDO is actively pushing to get something significant done at DHS.

the what/when comes in time.

I have followed these threads since the beginning so I have read through. They both say the same things, no one knows anything.

TP2000

I'd say Pandora has been "announced" not "approved" ... "approved" indicates some sort of green light status and despite what Jay says ... the actions of the company, insider info, Cameron's hesitations about all things Avatar, and general public barometer for Avatar ... I'd highly doubt this is approved.

Not to mention there isn't a bulldozer in sight, or even rumors of when bulldozers might show up. Pandora is years and years away, sometime beyond 2016 at this point, if it even happens.

TP2000

I have followed these threads since the beginning so I have read through. They both say the same things, no one knows anything.

That about sums up most Disney fan message boards! :D

But I do get your point. In the last three or four days however, we do have the following key points of information offered up by and/or confirmed by some fairly respectable "insiders" here;

• Several proposals moving forward to help DHS, most notably a Cars Land clone. However, nothing is greenlit and TDO hasn't commited to anything. WDI is in the business of proposing cool things to build at theme parks (to keep them gainfully employed) and WDI never has a drought of cool things they'd like to build around the world, but it takes TDO and Burbank to cut a check for one of those proposals for DHS. Standby for awhile to see if anything starts to gel and advance to actual funding.
  • Disneyland will be getting an E Ticket attraction, with construction getting underway in 2013. It will be built in the current location of Innoventions and the Carousel Theater, and be themed to Iron Man and the "Stark Expo". It will feature a unique ride system and be a major E Ticket attraction, to open by Disneyland's 60th Anniversary in 2015.
  • Avatarland development is not moving quickly, with cooperation from James Cameron not coming easy. The films are all delayed by years, and it appears Avatarland itself is thus delayed. No prep work has begun on the site at DAK, and a menu of attractions and offerings has still not been formalized with WDI, TDO and the Cameron camp. Avatarland has not been cancelled by Disney, but since they publicly announced it they still admit it exists in a developmental stage somewhere.
I think that about sums it up. The rest is all speculation and armchair Imagineering and armchair management along the lines of "If I was Tom Staggs, I would..."

jt04

Right, but that doesn't mean that another one couldn't be approved for the next fiscal year.

True and that is my expectation. Uni and Sea World et al have shown their cards and I expect Disney will now Blue Sky a response. In the meantime he announced that Pandora is moving forward. On pace for construction to begin by the end of the year as was previously announced.

jt04

That about sums up most Disney fan message boards! :D

But I do get your point. In the last three or four days however, we do have the following key points of information offered up by and/or confirmed by some fairly respectable "insiders" here;

• Several proposals moving forward to help DHS, most notably a Cars Land clone. Not buying it. Cali will get HSR first. However, nothing is greenlit and TDO hasn't commited to anything. WDI is in the business of proposing cool things to build at theme parks and WDI never has a drought of cool things they'd like to build around the world, but it takes TDO and Burbank to cut a check for one of those proposals for DHS. Standby for awhile to see if anything starts to gel and advance to actual funding.
  • Disneyland will be getting an E Ticket attraction, with construction getting underway in 2013. Pandora starts late 2012 at last word. So there. It will be built in the current location of Innoventions and the Carousel Theater, and be themed to Iron Man and the "Stark Expo". It will feature a unique ride system and be a major E Ticket attraction, to open by Disneyland's 60th Anniversary in 2015.
  • Avatarland development is not moving quickly, with cooperation from James Cameron not coming easy. Yeah right. Uh huh.The films are all delayed by years, and it appears Avatarland itself is thus delayed. No prep work has begun on the site at DAK, Late 2012 was the announced commencement.and a menu of attractions and offerings has still not been formalized with WDI, TDO and the Cameron camp. Obviously as it is still with WDI. Avatarland has not been cancelled by Disney, Nor will it be as announced several days ago. but since they publicly announced it they still admit it exists in a developmental stage somewhere. Actually Rasulo said it is going forward several days ago.
I think that about sums it up. The rest is all speculation and armchair Imagineering and armchair management along the lines of "If I was Tom Staggs, I would..."

Please stop with the spin. It was novel when you were spinning HSR news. This just seems like a repeat.

baymenxpac

sorry, that isn't true. we've learned a lot in this and the carsland thread. insiders on these boards can't make decisions for upper management. if only that we're true...

instead you have to stop confusing the fact that nothing has been green lit and/or set in stone yet with your opinion that you haven't received the amount of information to satiate your thirst.

Disneyhead'71

I simply don't believe Jay would have said anything like, "Shhhh, don't tell anyone because we haven't made an announcement, but we are gonna drop a $Bil or so on our FL property because that snotty little wizard up the road is kickin' our ___! And they just won't stop. Transformers! More Potter! More Simpson's! A freakin' Grinch coaster! Didn't they get the freakin' memo, 1 E Ticket a decade is all you need.

bubbles1812

I simply don't believe Jay would have said anything like, "Shhhh, don't tell anyone because we haven't made an announcement, but we are gonna drop a $Bil or so on our FL property because that snotty little wizard up the road is kickin' our ___! And they just won't stop. Transformers! More Potter! More Simpson's! A freakin' Grinch coaster! Didn't they get the freakin' memo, 1 E Ticket a decade is all you need.

Of course 1 E ticket is enough! Where the demand really is, is in meet and greets. And don't forget about the decorated ques... I'd take those over another e ticket anyday. Not to mention that new fast pass system. I know people will be absolutely trampling each other to get inside when that's in full effect ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes. He said there will be no large capital projects approved in the next fiscal year. Pandora is it.

I think you are reading way too much into his comments. He never said no more spending. Just a reduction. In the article quoted several pages back what the CFO said is there will be a significant drop in capital expenditures compared to recent history. The last 2 fiscal years they spent close to $3B on capital projects per year including cruise ships, DVC, DCA, next gen and international parks. If that was cut to $2B that would definitely be a significant drop without cutting all spending. In the lean years (5 or 6 years ago) when they were not building any new attractions anywhere they still probably spent $1B a year on major maintenance and infrastructure.

The Shanghai Project is estimated at $4.3B but is spread out over 5 years and only funded 43% by Disney. Let's call that $400M a year for 5 years.

If Avatar has a budget of $500M (some say only $400M) and takes 4 years to build out lets call that $125M a year.

RSR (the most expensive part of Carsland) cost less than $300M so what does a full Carsland cost $500M? If they added a few extra things besides Carsland could the total reach $600M? Possible. No way they spend close to the $1.1B spent on the complete DCA project. Let's call it $600M over 4 years so $150M per year for DHS.

So Shanghai, Avatar and DHS combined would add up to $675M per year over the next 4 to 5 years. Add in the billion dollars for up keep and major maintenance and you are at $1.675B or approximately 55% of what they spent in 2012. Still a significant decrease in capital spending and we get everything we want. Nobody has to lie to anyone. Of course the number will be slightly higher since DL will get a few new toys too, but nothing that will tip the scales. As I pointed out a few pages back there is no way the CFO talks publicly about projects that are not announced so the only things he can say are that Avatar and Shanghai are still on and spending will be down. If/when something is announced for DHS they will simply state that it fits within their expected capital spend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom