Y'all should ...

Ignohippo

I thought that the timeline was...

2013: Transformers
2014: Seuss Landing (Mt. Crumpit) / Jurassic Park addition
2015: HP2.0

Has that changed now?

As I understand it the expectation has always been to get HP2 up and running by holidays 2014. That may be aggressive, but as far as I know that is what they're working towards. I know nothing of the Seuss or Jurassic additions, but my source doesn't reveal anything unless I ask specifically about it. This thread is honestly the first I've heard of those.

djlaosc

If Journey To The Center of the Earth from Tokyo DisneySea were announced for DHS, would we care that utilizes the same technology as Test Track? As has been stated, WDW has numerous Omnimovers and boat rides that all use the same basic tech. So, Test Track in EPCOT does not preclude RSR. If they want to keep RSR in CA, that is one something that can't be explained away. I just think that the discussion about using similar ride tech is not that valid. Of course, this is from someone who is in Cincinnati, OH and not in the offices of Imagineering.

Regarding IOA, I am guessing that HP 2.0 will be given all resources, along with the Transformers ride currently being built. With the expense being plugged into UNI, I would guess that IOA would have to wait a few more years before something new would be put in. I also agree that, for right now, Potter still has a bigger fan base than Indy.

I'll gladly take JTTCOTE at WDW (and it was rumoured for DAK a few years ago)

Rumours are that IOA will be getting something in 2014.

Beholder

Harry Potter has the books, which kids still buy and read, and they certainly made more Harry Potter films. Jones had three great films, a mediocre one, and doesn't have an uber-popular line of books.

Maybe they should have handed-off Indiana Jones in the fourth film, done a spin-off, or
perhaps think about a reboot. Absent this stuff,
Indy's heyday was over a decade ago . . . he's
got some staying power, but I think overall
Potter has more fans and staying power given
the books.

I'm not arguing market place relevance, just that the Indiana Jones source material (movies, games, tv show) lends itself very well to the theme park setting. Coupled with a great story and emphasis on action/adventure, Indy will be around for a long time, as a "critical" classic, if you will. No doubt HP is hot right now, but Indy is a proven hit for the ages.

Song of the South as been relevant since, maybe, never, and it makes a great attraction.

djlaosc

As I understand it the expectation has always been to get HP2 up and running by holidays 2014. That may be aggressive, but as far as I know that is what they're working towards. I know nothing of the Seuss or Jurassic additions, but my source doesn't reveal anything unless I ask specifically about it. This thread is honestly the first I've heard of those.

Originally (way back when HP2.0 was first being discussed), I read that HP2.0 was being aimed for Holidays 2014. Then, when I asked about it here in July, it went from Holidays 2014 into 2015 (the thread also mentions Seuss v JP).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Carsland won't be coming to WDW anytime soon, probably not ever. The word on the street is that they want to keep Carsland a DCA exclusive.

Not sure what your source for this info is, but a number of people with proven track records for inside information have said it is, or is at least very near being green lit.

They didn't do Indy in WDW, but went with the Dinosaur ride which is a very similar ride system, hence no Indy. Plus, Epcot has Test Track, historically they don't want rides that have too similar a ride mechanism.

Epcot had Body Wars and DHS Star Tours, same ride system and even the same parks we are talking about now with RSR. Pirates and Small world are the same ride system, among others. So historically the did, and still do have duplicate ride mechanisms

Avatarland is stuck in development, but they obviously need to add something to Animal Kingdom. They aren't going to creep along with Avatar, plus also look at cloning Carsland. And, they did a Radiator Springs themed hotel, which would look very awkward if they did Carsland.

A portion of Art of Animation Resort is themed to Little Mermaid and they are building a Little Mermaid ride, again that logic doesn't hold up.

Indy is a great ride in DL, but let's face it, the Indy franchise sort of hit a bump in the road with the last film, the series really hit its peak over a decade ago, so why would they clone Indy for WDW? The headlines would make Disney look a little out of date considering Transformers and Potterland.

The Fantasyland expansion is based on movies that were released in 1941,1989 and 1991. Is this also going to make Disney look out of date?

Jedeye80

After skipping through the last few pages I'm excited about what seems to be coming to DHS but unclear about Indiana jones, is there something in the future with Dr Jones. Potter and Indy are 2 different beasts, HP seems to have legs to be a enduring and lasting franchise buts it's only 10 year old, Indy has been around 30 years and is still popular now, even with the awful last movie.

ChrisM

Why did they axe it? Costs?

Likely because Carsland is going to be built.

Building Carsland and replacing the Indy Stunt Show simultaneously is probably a bridge too far. Taking down three existing attractions at the same time would be a nightmare for the park while their replacements were being built.

wdwfan4ver

Actually all this replacing this for that, I'm not arguing against the issue of removing it seen as its short jump and I can see it can although be it in Disney Studios, but should they not just keep Indy stunt show and add an attraction seen as they have an expansion pad right at the front of park on the parking lot?

I hate this idea of lets replace x with y when we should be asking for lets keep X and add Y. Maybe its just me though?
Disney shouldn't in this case. Indy Stunt Show hasn't changed since the park opened. That means Disney kept the same stunt scenes for soon to be 24 years next year despite the amount of movies that franchise has. I also first seen Indiana Jones Stunts Spectacular back in the early 1990's when I was on my trip to Walt Disney World. DHS was called Disney MGM Studios at the time also.

bubbles1812

I thought that HP2.0 was going to be finished in 2015 - has it been moved forward?

Sorry, that's where someone might have to correct me. I wasn't entirely sure on the dates of things. I understood that they were gunning for Holidays 2014 (seems like a pretty sound strategy since Christmas is such a big time for the parks). Maybe instead they bumped it to early 2015? I hope it is done sooner rather than later. The more I hear about it the more excited I get! I will give them credit for building even at the speed they are going at the moment. Can you imagine how long it would take Disney to get that done? If Carsland is approved (or Avatar), I can't see them being done earlier that at minimum late 2016. But more likely 2017/18. If it's taking NFE, which is not even a full land this long to build, how long is it going to take for them to build a massive edition? Blah.

SirLink

Disney shouldn't in this case. Indy Stunt Show hasn't changed since the park opened. That means Disney kept the same stunt scenes for soon to be 24 years next year despite the amount of movies that franchise has. I also first seen Indiana Jones Stunts Spectacular back in the early 1990's when I was on my trip to Walt Disney World. DHS was called Disney MGM Studios at the time also.

So...?

Mawg

Wow 24 years...That Indy has got to be getting too old for that sh**

Pixiedustmaker

Not sure what your source for this info is, but a number of people with proven track records for inside information have said it is, or is at least very near being green lit.

Epcot had Body Wars and DHS Star Tours, same ride system and even the same parks we are talking about now with RSR. Pirates and Small world are the same ride system, among others. So historically the did, and still do have duplicate ride mechanisms

A portion of Art of Animation Resort is themed to Little Mermaid and they are building a Little Mermaid ride, again that logic doesn't hold up.

The Fantasyland expansion is based on movies that were released in 1941,1989 and 1991. Is this also going to make Disney look out of date?

Well, Epcot's Body Wars is no longer there, and the rationale for no Indy in WDW was because of Dinosaur. Obviously, these aren't hard and fast "rules", but general guidelines. If they ever do look at Carsland, surely somebody will bring up for discussion the fact that Test Track is basically the same. In fact, pre-Carsland success WDI was almost apologetic about using the same ride system from test track in RSR.

I think the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast have more of a following than Indy given that parents still buy these DVDs for their little children, and ALL of the Disney princesses are still heavily marketed, i.e. stamped on lunch boxes and stuff . . . I know a poster here said that dads still like introducing their kids to Indy, certainly true for some families, but I think that Disney had done a better job keeping the princess brand relevant. You can walk into a Disney store and find Belle, Mermaid and Snow White stuff, but I don't see a lot of Indy t-shirts being sold.

I know there is an oversized Triton and stuff, but the Carsland stuff looks a whole look more elaborate. And much of it was copied straight out of Radiator Springs, I think it would be kind of weird to have two versions of Radiator Springs, a scale down hotel one, and the land. But of course, all of this was made before Carsland was found to be super popular.

I still think that folks with "proven track records" will be proved wrong.

carsaa3.jpg

Ignohippo

Sorry, that's where someone might have to correct me. I wasn't entirely sure on the dates of things. I understood that they were gunning for Holidays 2014 (seems like a pretty sound strategy since Christmas is such a big time for the parks). Maybe instead they bumped it to early 2015? I hope it is done sooner rather than later.

Still gunning for holidays 2014 as far as my latest update (which was last week).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, Epcot's Body Wars is no longer there, and the rationale for no Indy in WDW was because of Dinosaur. Obviously, these aren't hard and fast "rules", but general guidelines. If they ever do look at Carsland, surely somebody will bring up for discussion the fact that Test Track is basically the same. In fact, pre-Carsland success WDI was almost apologetic about using the same ride system from test track in RSR.

Even if the project hasn't been green lit we have heard from many sources that it's being strongly considered, so we can only assume that these concerns have already been considered and dismissed.

Mawg

I’m all for an Indiana Ride at DHS, whether it is a clone of DL’s or something new with a different ride mechanism. I think since the DL version is still nice but quite old, something new might be better. Maybe new more to date animatronics and then use the new animatronics to update the DL one as well but the ride or ride mechanism is still different, New Indy, Cobra etc. (you have to have snakes in any Indy attraction). I’m a little confused why we are still discussing Indy since Insiders already told us it was a no go.

However, I do not think the ride should replace the stunt show. It’s still a studio based park (albeit not working) and a stunt show of some kind is nice to show how they do it. I’ve always had to tell my kids after watching a movie that none of it is real. For them to experience and see how they do this stuff and stunts was good for them. The show is just a little outdated and no show is really that good for repeating but that does not mean it’s not a good addition to the park.

djlaosc

Likely because Carsland is going to be built.

Building Carsland and replacing the Indy Stunt Show simultaneously is probably a bridge too far. Taking down three existing attractions at the same time would be a nightmare for the park while their replacements were being built.

I guess that's true.

Still would be nice to have them open up Carsland and then take Indy down to be replaced by the ride though!

Ignohippo

An update to Indy Stunt would be SO welcomed. I'm amazed they could totally revamp the show just for one night (Indiana Jones and the Jedi Temple of Doom) yet can't replace a single scene in 23 years.

I'm still in the boat that I'd absolutely hate to see it go. I understand TDO's reasoning completely, but it brings entirely too much to the Studios to be replaced. Getting rid of both LMA AND Indy would be a huge blow to what makes the Studios what they are. I can understand LMA, but Indy needs to stay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom