Y'all should ...

Zac Skellington

Actually that building is where thy test all the NextGen stuff so they will need a miracle before they close that first.

I forgot about that... Is there that much equipment in there that it can't be moved to another empty building on WDW property? Imagination, WoL, undeveloped Germany, Sounds Dangerous, above Mouse Gear, etc...

ChrisM

Carsland won't be coming to WDW anytime soon, if ever. The word on the street is that they want to keep Carsland a DCA exclusive. They didn't do Indy in WDW, but went with the Dinosaur ride which is a very similar ride system, hence no Indy. Plus, Epcot has Test Track, historically they don't want rides that have to similar a ride mechanism.

Avatarland is stuck in development, but they obviously need to add something to Animal Kingdom. They aren't going to creep along with Avatar, plus also look at cloning Carsland. And, they did a Radiator Springs themed hotel, which would look very awkward if they did Carsland.

Indy is a great ride in DL, but let's face it, the Indy franchise sort of hit a bump in the road with the last film, the series really hit its peak over a decade ago, so why would they clone Indy for WDW, the headlines would make Disney look a little out of date considering Transformers and Potterland.

You gotta take everything that has been said about Carsland with a grain of salt as it is mostly fans going to Carsland and then concluding that it will come to WDW. Indy . . . if they were going to clone this ride for WDW, the opportune moment passed a long time ago.

Aren't you the guy claiming that the MK Teacups are going to be moved over to "inside" the castle walls? And why do you always post as though citing facts when it's clear you're just speculating?

M.rudolf actually has some vetted sources. He isn't just regurgitating things he read on the boards.

GLaDOS

Indy is a great ride in DL, but let's face it, the Indy franchise sort of hit a bump in the road with the last film, the series really hit its peak over a decade ago, so why would they clone Indy for WDW? The headlines would make Disney look a little out of date considering Transformers and Potterland.

While Crystal Skull may have not been the best movie by a long shot, saying the franchise isn't popular is definitely not true. The movie still made almost $800 million internationally without 3-D premiums or IMAX premiums.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was re-released a week ago for a limited engagement and had the highest per-theater average for the weekend. Granted it was playing on IMAX screens, but it's still impressive.

I think your "No one likes Indiana Jones" theory has some holes in it.

Timothy_Q

Aren't you the guy claiming that the MK Teacups are going to be moved over to "inside" the castle walls? And why do you always post as though citing facts when it's clear you're just speculating?

M.rudolf actually has some vetted sources. He isn't just regurgitating things he read on the boards.

Cause he's the PixieDustMaker. He makes things up

Beholder

Indiana Jones has more than proven itself to be one of those timeless, all ages type films that rarely get made. It's broad appeal, easy access, and great story telling will always be relevant in some way. Spielberg says he often watches the John Wayne classic, "The Searchers", for cinematic inspiration when making a new movie. I think Dr Jones will remain just as big an influence.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Carsland won't be coming to WDW anytime soon, probably not ever. The word on the street is that they want to keep Carsland a DCA exclusive. They didn't do Indy in WDW, but went with the Dinosaur ride which is a very similar ride system, hence no Indy. Plus, Epcot has Test Track, historically they don't want rides that have too similar a ride mechanism.

Avatarland is stuck in development, but they obviously need to add something to Animal Kingdom. They aren't going to creep along with Avatar, plus also look at cloning Carsland. And, they did a Radiator Springs themed hotel, which would look very awkward if they did Carsland.

Indy is a great ride in DL, but let's face it, the Indy franchise sort of hit a bump in the road with the last film, the series really hit its peak over a decade ago, so why would they clone Indy for WDW? The headlines would make Disney look a little out of date considering Transformers and Potterland.

You gotta take everything that has been said about Carsland with a grain of salt as it is mostly fans going to Carsland and then concluding that it will come to WDW. Indy . . . if they were going to clone this ride for WDW, the opportune moment passed a long time ago.

Funny how the rumor involves two things that DLR has that fanbois in WDW want cloned!:rolleyes:

You are way off base here.

themonkeyisthesultan

I've long thought Induana Jones would be a great theme for a water ride (maybe an amphibious vehicle chase like in Indy 4 but with an original storyline) and DHS is sorely lacking in the water ride department.

Pixiedustmaker

While Crystal Skull may have not been the best movie by a long shot, saying the franchise isn't popular is definitely not true. The movie still made almost $800 million internationally without 3-D premiums or IMAX premiums.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was re-released a week ago for a limited engagement and had the highest per-theater average for the weekend. Granted it was playing on IMAX screens, but it's still impressive.

I think your "No one likes Indiana Jones" theory has some holes in it.

I'm a big Indy fan, I liked Crystal Skull, and love Indy in Disneyland. But Crystal Skull came out in 2008, production budget was something like $200 million, plus maybe $200 million to market, plus half of the gross was in the foreign market where US studios don't get back that much of the box office. Sure, it made money, but it also got just a 59% audience approval on rotten tomatos, and many critics/fans figured that this was sort of the last film.

I'm also a realist, would Disney clone Indy for WDW when the franchise is probably over, and considering that a lot of fans considered the last film somewhat of a disappointment. They purposely didn't clone Indy for WDW, using the ride system for Dinosaur . . . if you want to argue about history then go ahead.

Rasvar

I've never heard any chatter about the Indy ride coming to Florida. Not sure they would even want two (or two + if you include the Indy sequence in GMR) Indy based attractions in the same park (plus external licensing costs). At this point, I would not be surprised if DHS ends up with Carsland. Obviously, it wouldn't include the Flying Tires (even though I am in a very small minority who actually likes them). Now, there may be a bit of wait and see how the crowds maintain. If the numbers at Carsland remains high past the upcoming holiday season (and what ever you do, don't try to step foot in that place during Christmas week), I think there may be a feeling that they can duplicate it in Florida without damaging the demand for it in California. If they don't bring that, I sure hope they can come up with something as immersive as the Radiator Springs environment. It really compared well to Harry Potter in the ability to make you feel transported somewhere else.

nytimez

I liked Crystal Skull

Ouch!

south-park-the-complete-twelfth-season-20090303031853377-000.jpg

Pixiedustmaker

Well, Miceage ran something saying Carsland was going to be a DCA exclusive, and what I've heard around is that this is the case.

Doesn't make sense that Disney would start work on Carsland AND continue development of Avatarland while looking at cloning Indy.

Looks like wishful thinking to me.

Pixiedustmaker

One sub-par movie does not mean it is a bad potential franchise to make into a ride. I mean, they are making a Transformer's ride at Uni right?

That's a good point, but I think they're still making Transformer films (the next one supposedly comes out June 2014), and the last one came out much more recently than Crystal Skull. Transformers has a lot of potential, in terms of sequels and maybe even a reboot in the future, it seems like the Jones franchise is sort of finished.

bubbles1812

If they do Indy, then they would most likely go with a different ride mechanism.
Ok so quoting myself here but since I was just summarizing the general consensus it's easier
**DHS: Carsland either has been approved or there is a strong possibility that it is coming to DHS. It will be in the area that LMA and Backlot Tours currently resides. Possibly, the thought to be dead (at least that was the impression I got) Monsters Inc Coaster will also be coming concurrently with Carsland or relatively shortly thereafter. Some time after that, the Indy show will be going and an Indy ride will take its place. Should this be approved, it will not be a clone of the ride in DisneyLand. That ride, as stated by Spirit and other posters, will very likely never come to DW.
So to what you said... duh.
Carsland won't be coming to WDW anytime soon, probably not ever. The word on the street is that they want to keep Carsland a DCA exclusive. They didn't do Indy in WDW, but went with the Dinosaur ride which is a very similar ride system, hence no Indy. Plus, Epcot has Test Track, historically they don't want rides that have too similar a ride mechanism.

Funny how the rumor involves two things that DLR has that fanbois in WDW want cloned!:rolleyes:

As someone already posted, why are stating all these things as fact? Clearly, Carsland is very much being at least looked at to bring to WDW And why wouldn't they? It's making DL a boatload of cash and revitalized a once crappy Disney park. I think it'd be dumb not look at it. "Word on the street"...what does that even mean? Did you go talk to a bunch of tourists in DL? That's so silly. Maybe a few people at Disney management would like to keep it there alone. But at the end of the day, they are about what will make them money, and this will make them money.

Indiana Jones is still an extremely popular franchise. Did the one in 2008 exceed expectations? No. But it certainly didn't flop. What's more, I don't know a parent out there who hasn't introduced Jones to their child. I can remember when I was younger, my dad coming home super excited to show my brothers and I the Star Wars movies and Indiana Jones movies. We loved them. I'm seen that again and again with other people I know. And I was born well after that first movie came out. It's a lasting somewhat timeless franchise. There is a reason the show has been at DHS so long. I don't think anyone would complain about getting a new Indy ride. Again, no one said anything about it being a clone of the DL Indy ride as well.

Avatar does seem to be somewhat stuck in development, sort of. I will give you that I thought up until two days ago that there hadn't been much movement but I've been (gladly) proved wrong. There are plans as has been stated by multiple sources. It's now the budget that is the issue (as it always is with Disney).

Also, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt...as has also been stated numerous times, everything is fluid. But just to dismiss that Carsland won't come is just super silly.

I think this post by our dear admin sums what you posted up pretty well:

Viget

Thanks for the reply, but you missed my point. Why would they build Carsland first? Seems like it would be easier to complete MI, and have that attraction online, before taking down two existing attractions to build Carsland.

See, you're not thinking like TDO management here. You're thinking logically. TDO sees attractions as revenue drains more or less. Sure, if they're a big hit they have increased merch sales and maybe bring more people to the gate and probably if done right return a higher investment on capital than the TDO brass cares to admit, but they're risky. Meet n greets, restaurants, DVC, and especially stores, now those are home runs with ROI as they are guaranteed cash streams or are cheap to build or both.

So from their perspective, it makes more sense to shut down 2 attractions first (slashed costs, see? No maintenance costs or salaries for ride operators/stuntmen), THEN build a new attraction on their footprint to spread out capex over time. Then, you build the MI coaster in the existing building after Carsland. That way they don't have to foot the bill for construction simultaneously, don't have the operating costs from an MI coaster during all this time, and most importantly, they're able to say they have something NEW to get a return guest after they've seen Cars land.

Now from our perspective, yeah build the MI coaster first as it will be cheaper to do than Cars land, could be done a heckuva lot quicker, and potentially get good numbers from the tie-in with the MI prequel. And it looks like you're doing SOMETHING to combat UNI.

But I'm guessing they don't see it that way.

djlaosc

I have sources inside Uni and all I know of is Transformers. Potter2 and Transformers are on a very, very fast track, so I don't believe they could get anything else up and running before those open (even if they broke ground yesterday). Transformers will open in 2013 and Potter2 will open in 2014. I will ask though.

I thought that the timeline was...

2013: Transformers
2014: Seuss Landing (Mt. Crumpit) / Jurassic Park addition
2015: HP2.0

Has that changed now?

Beholder

It's more recent, but isn't Harry Potter finished? I'm just thinking that Jones lends itself to great theme park attractions.

Pixiedustmaker

I've never heard any chatter about the Indy ride coming to Florida. Not sure they would even want two (or two + if you include the Indy sequence in GMR) Indy based attractions in the same park (plus external licensing costs). At this point, I would not be surprised if DHS ends up with Carsland. Obviously, it wouldn't include the Flying Tires (even though I am in a very small minority who actually likes them). Now, there may be a bit of wait and see how the crowds maintain. If the numbers at Carsland remains high past the upcoming holiday season (and what ever you do, don't try to step foot in that place during Christmas week), I think there may be a feeling that they can duplicate it in Florida without damaging the demand for it in California. If they don't bring that, I sure hope they can come up with something as immersive as the Radiator Springs environment. It really compared well to Harry Potter in the ability to make you feel transported somewhere else.

I certainly would be *very* surprised if they announced an Indy for WDW.

I think the big reason why Carsland will probably not be coming to WDW is that Epcot has Test Track, and a new and improved Test Track will be coming out. Though Test Track and RSR are stage differently, it is basically the same ride system. This would invite some unwelcomed comparisons. Also, Carsland has obviously rejuvenated DCA, keeping Carsland a DCA exclusive would ensure a constant stream of guests to Anaheim who might have in the past written off DLR over WDW. WDW is a different beast, and AK needs attention, don't see a Carsland happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom