wow actually had a horrible time at disney world

IMPoppins

lucky we went before our previous trip. We went the week of aug 11 and stayed for 7 days at port orleans french quarter. The busses were supposed to come every 20 minutes but they did not. it was more like every hour. SERIOUSLY. There was a HUGE line at just about every park for our resort.. we'd see Pop Century and all the other resorts get about 3-4 bus loads before our bus actually came. I just could not believe it. Some of the drivers even ignored people in the wheel chairs at times claiming to "come back soon" and when we went it was dead heat. The only reason I'm complaining is because there were always a lot of toddlers and older people in the heat like that. I was shocked to see how poorly the buses ran during our trip. I hope they fix their issues before someone gets ill waiting in the heat.. if so they'd have an hours wait like we did.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry to hear you had a bad time. We also just had a horrible trip to WDW. We were at POFQ on 8/14. My father in law died the day we checked in so we had to come right home. Since I had just suffered a miscarriage 5 weeks ago, we were really looking forward to the trip. Obviously, our trip didn't turn out as planned. Hopefully you'll have a better time on your next visit.

smk

Sorry to hear you had a bad time. We also just had a horrible trip to WDW. We were at POFQ on 8/14. My father in law died the day we checked in so we had to come right home. Since I had just suffered a miscarriage 5 weeks ago, we were really looking forward to the trip. Obviously, our trip didn't turn out as planned. Hopefully you'll have a better time on your next visit.
OMG. I am so sorry to read of your recent loss. Bus runs, late buses and frustration pale in comparison. My condolences to you and your entire family.

JohnWeckwerth

WDW Busses

You should try taking busses with two handicapped people in party. On one bus the lift wouldn't work. The driver tried hard for 20 min. but could not get it working. The other people in line were glaring at us. Fortunately we were at BCV and could get by for a couple of days without busses until I could get a rental van. Having a vehical made it so much easier to get around, especially for Waterparks and Downtown Disney.

luckyeye13

I don't mind waiting 20 minutes to 30 minutes for a bus if I have to. But when you're standing on a line at the Studios and you see bus after bus go past and you're approaching almost 45 minutes of waiting it can be FRUSTRATING.

Disney should put the buses on a printed schedule so you have an idea of when the next bus is arriving. The way it is now you have no idea that previous bus left 2 minutes before you got to the stop or 20 minutes.

While it may seem that this would work, it really would not serve WDW very well as it would greatly reduce the amount of flexibility in the system. First of all, if there is a delay of a bus on a particular route, the phenomenon of bunching will soon occur. If the sight of three buses to the same place within a few minutes is annoying now, it will be even more prevalent and annoying under the fixed schedule system. As an example, the intercampus bus system at Rutgers University is advertised as running every so many minutes based on the time of day, but, in reality, as the contract between the University and the bus company that provides the service calls for a certain number of trips to be completed by each driver, the buses are actually scheduled to depart at certain times from the main stop on each campus. (This is generally not known by the campus population, though, and they just assume that the buses will be kept apart to maintain the interval.) Once I learned about this, I very quickly understood why I sometimes waited only 2 minutes for a bus right after missing one, but at other times I waited 25-30 when the same interval was in effect. The most glaring example of this that I ever saw was when I was in the dispatch booth chatting with the dispatcher about my findings that day and saw all six of the buses serving a particular route pulling up at the same time across the street. Since the buses had each accumulated several minutes delay throughout the day, they were now piled up on top of each other. While this worked out nicely for the passengers who each had a bus to themselves at that stop, the passengers on the other side of the route who had to wait up to 40 minutes in the freezing cold and were possibly late to class or other commitments were probably not as thrilled. By the way, the interval for that route at that time of day was scheduled as every 6 minutes! Once the buses piled up, it was very tough to split them back apart as the company's drivers often ignored the University dispatcher's instructions to hold at the main bus stop due to the fact that this could result in lost trips for each driver. Lost trips meant lost money as the University deducted a set amount for each lost trip from the check that was sent to the bus company each week. As a result, the company's dispatchers at the outlying campuses were often reluctant to order the drivers to split. With dynamic dispatching, some of those buses could have been used to fill the interval on other routes and, when the next bus from another campus came in, it would have been ready to restore the interval on the route that had the pile-up. I believe that WDW did previously put a certain set of buses on each route and scheduled them to run at 20-minute intervals, however, as the buses would inevitably get delayed for one reason or another (traffic, loading of Guests in wheelchairs, waiting a few moments for a running Guest, etc.), bunching of the buses occured.

Under a fixed schedule system, a fixed number of buses is assigned to a particular route. If a bus has to be taken out of service for any reason, the wait time for that particular route will be greatly affected. It would be impossible to bring in a bus from another route without affecting its wait times. Of course, a replacement bus could be brought in, but it wouldn't just magically appear and, even after it went in, it would be quite a task to restore the wait times and bring the queues under control. Dynamic dispatching enables a bus from another destination to pick up the slack for the out-of-service bus as it allows for a better distribution of buses to meet the needs of the service.

Also, with fixed schedules, you can forget about two or three buses coming in for one destination at the same time to clean out a queue. If there is not enough room for you on the 9:30 bus, then too bad, so sad. You would simply need to wait for the 9:50 bus. If you were trying to travel to somewhere like Pop Century at park close, you might as well bring a comfortable pillow and blanket, because you would be at the bus stop for quite a while. Of course, the schedules could be suspended during obvious peak travel periods and dynamic dispatching brought into effect. What happens, though, if a sudden and unexpected surge of Guests occurs? Let's say, for example, a tour group of 700 billion Brazilians suddenly decides to go to Downtown Disney. By the time that the last ones finally got there, the first ones would be heading back to their resort. (I actually saw a surge like this when I was working at All-Star Movies while directing buses due to construction on the bus turn-around! While there may not have been 700 billion of them, it certainly took a number of buses to clear out that group and the other passengers who had been waiting for the Downtown Disney bus.) If you don't think that this is a problem, the Rutgers University system is an example. During the exam periods at the end of the semester, some of the routes are jam packed during times when large classes (which tend to be required for some popular majors) are having exams at one time, instead of in small sections. You really need to make sure that you allow enough time because, even with the articulated buses with their capacity of about 130, there are generally more people waiting for a bus than can fit on it. If you get left behind, it is an 18 minute wait for the next bus! I probably don't need to say that being late for a final exam is infinitely worse than missing an ADR!

Of course, some might say that the solution is to just drive from point to point. At Rutgers University, all on-campus residents, commuters, and faculty and staff get a permit that allows for parking on one campus and one campus only. Depending on your status, you are then assigned to specific lots on that campus. If you decide to drive to a campus or lot other than the one to which you are assigned, you are likely to get fined at least $50 (usually more, as the parking inspectors are very creative at finding several vioations at one time). As most people who take the risk find out, the chance of getting caught is almost 100% as the parking inspectors are out day and night and do not care if you parked in that lot for a whole day or only a minute with your flashers on. (My girlfriend at the time was once given three tickets totaling $170 at 4AM because of where she parked when she came to visit me! I don't think she ever paid them because she went to a different college, so the threat of Rutgers blocking her transcripts and preventing her from registering for classes was pretty empty, but still... ouch!) Likewise, though, driving is not an option for everyone at WDW. Some people may not want to drive, while others may not be able to drive. Whatever the reason, the bus system still needs to be accomodating to everyone.

I don't intend to make it seem that the Rutgers University bus system is the epitome of all evil and the Disney Transport bus system is perfect in all things all the time. However, given the complexity of the system, the large area that it covers, and the number of Guests that are carried, I have to say that Mickey Mouse and his helpers do a very good job of running the buses efficiently. Of course, there are ways to make things better, but it is always easier to improve when you are already doing well than when you are stumbling. My comparisons between the two systems were a basis of my letter to Rutgers University Parking & Transportation Services on ways to improve the system by borrowing some ideas from Disney. That letter actually even got me a job offer from the department, where I remained employed until I graduated. The bus system really improved a lot after many of those suggestions, as well as later ones, were implemented. The fact that the current contract rules out dynamic dispatching, though, remains the one stumbling block to bringing the Rutgers system closer to Disney standards.

I am sorry that this post is so long and I hope that it didn't put anyone to sleep. I have been interested in public transportation since I was little and, with the insight that I gained from my work experience, I hope to shine a light for those whose contact with transit is a little more casual. Sure my passion for the subject has led to much sleep deprivation (because I really should be asleep right now, especially as this is the second version as the computer ate the first one!) and loneliness (maybe someone from the singles roll call thread is also interested in public transit ;)), but it is what I know and have always enjoyed.

Nansafan

As someone else posted, there was a post in May regarding the fact that Disney like the rest of the country is affected by the rising cost of fuel and that the buses would be running further apart, no longer every 20 minutes. We rented a car this year specifically because of that post.

Gooch

I understand it may have been a less than ideal experience, waiting fr the buses and all...but is that really going to render your trip "horrible"? I mean, I obviously don't have any insight as to what the rest of the trip was like, but I would assume all went well other than the bus issue. I went for 4 days in April and got drenched by rain EVERY DAY that I was there. Was it inconvenient? Sure it was, but did it make the trip an all out bust? No way. You just need to make the best out of the trip, no matter what happens. It's not like you can just drop in at DW every week, eh? ;) (Well, maybe you can, but you know what I mean.)

BrittanyRose428

When the bus takes too long why dont you get on the transportation center bus and get a bus to your resort from there? those buses usually go faster

luckyeye13

When the bus takes too long why dont you get on the transportation center bus and get a bus to your resort from there? those buses usually go faster

THERE ARE NO WDW RESORT BUSES TO OR FROM THE TRANSPORTATION & TICKET CENTER!!!!!

None at all, not even one or two of them! If you want to get to your resort by bus, do not under any circumstances wait for that bus at the TTC!

Dragonrider1227

I could understand being angry about this. Especially in the dead of Florida heat x_x I know if I wanted to depend on a bus system that only runs every hour, i'd just stay home :p but it would take a LOT more than just a lousy bus system to ruin my trip

Sassagoula-Rvr

Bus Service at French Quarter has always been great for me. Weird bad luck I guess. I mean I have been to other resorts but I always go back to POFQ becuase I think there bus service is the best. (unless you're trying to get to a waterpark and then you have to make a connection.)

Club Cooloholic

so let me get this straight...you had a horrible time because you had to wait for the FREE buses?:eek:

The price of those buses is factored into the price of your nightly rate at the room, so "free" is a relative term.

For her to not complain, just because the bus is "free", would be akin to being OK with the Ice machine being broken for hours at a time, or the swimming pool being covered with algea. simply because they are technically "free".

ToTBellHop

I'm not sure why you would put up with this for a week without complaining. I usually give Disney the benefit of the doubt (I know operational issues happen), so if I have to wait awhile once, it's no big deal, but if it were happening repeatedly as you have suggested, I would have been visiting guest relations frequently.

wdwmomof3

On our trip in 06, we had one night where we were waiting for a bus, at then MGM, back to our resort. We waited for over an hour, but all of the resorts were running slow. Since then, we drive at night. It has just worked out better for us. :)

Sherrybaby

If you want fast buses stay in a value resort...period. Give up all of the deluxe amenities because the transportation stinks.

We waited near an hour and 15 mins for a bus from DTD to The Beach Club and it was horrendous. All of us women were making a plan to try to go to the bathroom behind the bus stop areas so we would not miss the bus. We were just about sick with heat and the fact that everyone had to use the restroom but we could not leave in fear of missing the bus.

I was just about to get a taxi and then the bus came.

And I agree---transportation is not "free" we pay for this through all of our other expenditures.

Sherry

Ashitaka

I think whether someone likes or dislikes Disney's buses is often dependant on how used to public transportation the person is.

I live in New York City and take the subway and buses everywhere and everyday. I don't even own a car. Sometimes you'll have just missed a train and have to wait for the next one. This wait might be two minutes (if it's rush hour and the trains are backed up some) or 45 minutes (if it's late at night). We might complain about it (we are New Yawkers after all), but we generally take it in stride.

Thus I generally think Disney's transporation system is pretty good. They have to handle a whole lot of people as the parks open and as they close.

Yes, it can get pretty frustrating when you see another stop get 3 or 4 buses before yours comes. How I try to look at it is that most likely that stop's buses all came at once and now they will have to wait while my stop will probably have 3 or 4 come (that's what happens when things get backed up some and out of their normal cycle). Of course, that really didn't help me get on a bus quicker.

I'm sure that someone who always drives themselves places and never takes public transportation can have a very different view though. Waiting can be even more frustrating when you are used to just hopping into a car and going.

There are some time trade offs though between driving yourself and taking the buses at Disney. You may not have to wait for that next bus (which can sometimes feel twice as long as it actually was), but there will be some extra time in parking and walking/taking a tram to the park entrance. And if you're going to the MK, you'll have to take the ferry or monorail from the TTC.

So as many of you have voiced in this thread, you much rather be in your own car than possibly waiting and taking a Disney bus. Fair enough.

Personally though I'd rather take Disney's transportation. It allows me to relax and not worry if I just missed my turn while driving. It also allows me to have wine with my meals at Epcot and not worry if I've had one too many to be behind the wheel. And it saves me money by not having to rent a car.

So if there are one or two times during my vacation that the bus is behind and I have to wait longer than I feel I should, it's not going to ruin my vacation. After all, I'm going to be in a much, much better mood at WDW than I would be waiting in Brooklyn for an F train to get me to my midtown office.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom