would EPCOT ever add a new pavillion?

_Scar

I agree that AK would be a better option as Australia is really a natural fit, but then rumours for an Australia land seem to have completely dried up and I'm sure I heard that Joe Rhode said at some point it wasn't being considered... or was that Jim Hill? ;)

Are you implying they're the same person? :lookaroun

And I'm pretty sure Austrailia is a single country.... at least Wiki says so.... :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Wow! I learn something new every day.

So once I get around to building myself a Horizons, all I need is to sneak in after dark and nick some plug-and-play control systems and I'm set! :sohappy:
You can use that old Horizons computer in OMD...:D
Dug this one out again:
attachment.php

So much room...so much potential...but...so much clutter? I could really see WS becoming overloaded with all those plots used. WSProm is braced up enough.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You can use that old Horizons computer in OMD...:D

So much room...so much potential...but...so much clutter? I could really see WS becoming overloaded with all those plots used. WSProm is braced up enough.

I agree. Although the "Equitorial Africa" area is just too full of potential to be ignored for much longer. Unfortunately, with this economy and the lack of sponsorship I think that's going to be the case for some time to come....:brick:

EPCOT Explorer

I agree. Although the "Equitorial Africa" area is just too full of potential to be ignored for much longer. Unfortunately, with this economy and the lack of sponsorship I think that's going to be the case for some time to come....:brick:

I agree. If any area should be used...it's that one. And for that purpose.

In 348823 years...:brick:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I agree. If any area should be used...it's that one. And for that purpose.

In 348823 years...:brick:

Yeah, hopefully when the FL expansion is voer EPCOT can see some more love. Beyond a virtual roller coaster and rumors of a 25-year old movie of course....:rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, hopefully when the FL expansion is voer EPCOT can see some more love. Beyond a virtual roller coaster and rumors of a 25-year old movie of course....:rolleyes:

I think refurbs are in the stars for EPCOT. :lookaroun

Hopefully after that, we can see some real progress.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think refurbs are in the stars for EPCOT. :lookaroun

Hopefully after that, we can see some real progress.

You may be right. We've seen some small (LWtL) and large (SSE) ones over the past couple of years. If EPCOT can just keep the pace while the FL expansion goes on, then perhaps they'll next in the queue for real progess afterwards........

Unless WDW decides to move forward with the Monsters, Inc. coaster at DHS, or put in some new land or water project at AK or......:brick:

CaptainMichael

Sponsors have dropped out of World Showcase over the years just like in Futureworld, leaving The Mouse to pick up the upkeep tab.

The whole sponsorship deal is bollocks anyway. I never understood the idea that a 3rd party should be paying for attractions that you own and profit from. Where is the return on investment for Norway to sponsor their pavilion in EPCOT?

I understand that this is something Walt came up with, and it worked to great success for him, but those were different times. Disney can afford to build and maintain their own attractions IMO.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It would be nice if Epcot added another pavilion, however, I would prefer if the current ones got more in depth experiences.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The whole sponsorship deal is bollocks anyway. I never understood the idea that a 3rd party should be paying for attractions that you own and profit from. Where is the return on investment for Norway to sponsor their pavilion in EPCOT?

I understand that this is something Walt came up with, and it worked to great success for him, but those were different times. Disney can afford to build and maintain their own attractions IMO.

The return comes from a heightened awareness of their country (even at Disney levels) to those walking through the pavilions; potential interest by those who visit in actually traveling to the country and seeing the sights in person; and the opportunity for students and others in those nations to come and work at WDW gaining, even at a small level, business and cultural experiences of their own. It's not an investment that will see a guranteed return per se, but rather one of more intangible results.

CaptainMichael

The return comes from a heightened awareness of their country (even at Disney levels) to those walking through the pavilions; potential interest by those who visit in actually traveling to the country and seeing the sights in person; and the opportunity for students and others in those nations to come and work at WDW gaining, even at a small level, business and cultural experiences of their own. It's not an investment that will see a guranteed return per se, but rather one of more intangible results.

I understand that concept, but obviously, Norway eventually smartened up. The increase in tourism is negligible (and the pavillion is still there), and they still get to send their students. The only part the countries should be sponsoring is the relocation of their citizens/students to Orlando to work at the Norway pavilion.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I understand that concept, but obviously, Norway eventually smartened up. The increase in tourism is negligible (and the pavillion is still there), and they still get to send their students. The only part the countries should be sponsoring is the relocation of their citizens/students to Orlando to work at the Norway pavilion.

Well, I don't know what the exact effect on tourism in the home nations the pavilions have had. I'm not sure anyone can really quantify that. But I'm sure that a nation such as Morocco would be glad to have a pavilion in EPCOT (in the wake of 9/11/01) to help dispel any myths about the Islam and terrorism at the individual level. Just as China and Japan would enjoy any goodwill spread through their pavilions to reduce (even on a small scale) tensions between our nation and theirs. Again, the results are intangible.

And as for the nations paying for the pavilions, well, they made the arrangement with Disney so it is what it is.....

EPCOT Explorer

You may be right. We've seen some small (LWtL) and large (SSE) ones over the past couple of years. If EPCOT can just keep the pace while the FL expansion goes on, then perhaps they'll next in the queue for real progess afterwards........

Unless WDW decides to move forward with the Monsters, Inc. coaster at DHS, or put in some new land or water project at AK or.
.....:brick:

At this point, I would welcome anything. :lol:

....But of course, I am pulling for EPCOT. Then DAK. :lol:

For the record...DAK's project would be awesome. If they were to break ground.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
At this point, I would welcome anything. :lol:

....But of course, I am pulling for EPCOT. Then DAK. :lol:

For the record...DAK's project would be awesome. If they were to break ground.

No arguments here. I'm on the record for taking whatever comes our way. Considering how much DL has been getting (to say nothing of the overseas parks), I think that's about all anyone can do these days......:)

dshimel

It isn't something Walkt came up with. It was a direct lift from the World's Fair concept.

The first such expositions were paid for by companies looking to get their products in front of a global audience (trade shows).

1939's was being planned during the Great Depression where commerce was in the toilet, so it transformed into more of a cultural/nationalistic event. Countries paid for their pavilions as a way to prove they were better than other countries. After 1939's, they were a mix of national and commerce sponsorship.

In a way, Disneyland was a bunch of mini-world's fair pavilions with a lot more rides and a lot less overt product placement.

Epcot was just an extension of the World's Fair concept with all/most of the direct product demonstrations left out (brought back with Innoventions). Where it fell down was in the perminant vs. temporary nature.

Countries and companies were much more willing to pay to get their products in front of potential customers, then to pay to keep those sponsorships going over the long term.

First visit you may notice AT&T was sponsoring Indianna Jones or FedEx sponsoring Space Mt. But after you've walked past the sign 20 times, you barely notice the company's name.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Don't forget the boat ride that was supposed to be in Germany. There is a big warehouse to the right of the restaurant, which was originally supposed to house the Rhine River Ride, but it's just used for storage now.
The area is in back of the huge mural when you enter the Germany pavilion to the right of that little snack bar. {to the left is the diner theatre where you eat and listen to the live oompah bands.}
Close. Only the load/unload building was built. The show building was going to go in the empty space behind that.

Try a search for art and plans in an earlier thread if you`re interested :wave:

Sir_Cliff

Well, I don't know what the exact effect on tourism in the home nations the pavilions have had. I'm not sure anyone can really quantify that. But I'm sure that a nation such as Morocco would be glad to have a pavilion in EPCOT (in the wake of 9/11/01) to help dispel any myths about the Islam and terrorism at the individual level. Just as China and Japan would enjoy any goodwill spread through their pavilions to reduce (even on a small scale) tensions between our nation and theirs. Again, the results are intangible.
I guess it's a similar reason for why nations sponsor cultural exhibits, film festivals, and things of that nature in other countries: it is felt that they build awareness of, interest in, and goodwill toward their country. That may translate into more tourism, but I suspect it has more to do with translating into more investment and a more receptive environment to the promotion of their interests by lawmakers in another part of their world.

It's hard to know whether Epcot really has a big enough effect to be worth the investment. I would suspect for a country like Norway it may well be a decent investment because the country normally doesn't loom all that large in the American imagination and so exposing a few million people a year to its culture as one of a select group of nations at a major tourist destination probably has a decent impact on its profile in America. For a big country like the UK, France or Germany it would probably be harder to justify the expenses as there are likely already plenty of outlets where people are exposed to their culture.

I remember reading about some Korean businessmen who kept proposing to fund a Korea pavillion at Epcot a few years back but Disney knocked them back because they didn't think it would be appealing enough to guests, so who knows how many pavillion proposals Disney has refused over the years.

aladdin2007

I guess it's a similar reason for why nations sponsor cultural exhibits, film festivals, and things of that nature in other countries: it is felt that they build awareness of, interest in, and goodwill toward their country. That may translate into more tourism, but I suspect it has more to do with translating into more investment and a more receptive environment to the promotion of their interests by lawmakers in another part of their world.

It's hard to know whether Epcot really has a big enough effect to be worth the investment. I would suspect for a country like Norway it may well be a decent investment because the country normally doesn't loom all that large in the American imagination and so exposing a few million people a year to its culture as one of a select group of nations at a major tourist destination probably has a decent impact on its profile in America. For a big country like the UK, France or Germany it would probably be harder to justify the expenses as there are likely already plenty of outlets where people are exposed to their culture.

I remember reading about some Korean businessmen who kept proposing to fund a Korea pavillion at Epcot a few years back but Disney knocked them back because they didn't think it would be appealing enough to guests, so who knows how many pavillion proposals Disney has refused over the years.

Yeah I think Disney is only interested in the biggies, with big tourism. They are kinda closing their own window on opportunity really with that. They wanted Spain, Australia etc etc but those didnt come through with the financial backing. Smaller ones like South Korea have come forward but Disney turns them down. Kinda a shame. I know UK is already represented but I still think a big new Ireland pavilion would be a massive draw. Especially if an attraction were included. The Ireland Tourism board has a very large marketing presence here in the US as well. Scotland too which was rumored back around 2000, but Ireland on its own would really lure guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom