would EPCOT ever add a new pavillion?

littlemsmowgli

Original Poster
because personally, i want a greecean one with a small hercules tie in. it wouldn't have to be totally cheesey like the rio de tiempo in mexico refurb making it all cartooned up, but it could be really classily done. thoughts?

heartodisney

30 Pavillions were originally planned for the World Showcase. The original design called for two connected semicircles dubbed the "Courtyard of Nations", and it was to include an observation tower that would overlook the 30 international pavillions. 7 additional pavilions that made it to the planning phase but were never built. Proposed pavilions included Australia, Russia, Spain, Venezuela, United Arab Emirates and Israel. Additionally, an Equatorial Africa pavilion was planned and partly built (it's the area known as the Outpost). This is from the magazine "Celebrations" for Jan/Feb issue. We could only hope that they would add to the showcase, I am sure there is more info out there!

MarkTwain

30 Pavillions were originally planned for the World Showcase. The original design called for two connected semicircles dubbed the "Courtyard of Nations", and it was to include an observation tower that would overlook the 30 international pavillions. 7 additional pavilions that made it to the planning phase but were never built. Proposed pavilions included Australia, Russia, Spain, Venezuela, United Arab Emirates and Israel. Additionally, an Equatorial Africa pavilion was planned and partly built (it's the area known as the Outpost). This is from the magazine "Celebrations" for Jan/Feb issue. We could only hope that they would add to the showcase, I am sure there is more info out there!

That's very ambitious! I wonder where WDI would have found room for all those pavilions though? :veryconfu Looking at Google Earth, the only site that seems large enough is the Outpost, which might be able to hold 2, although others may be able to be shoehorned between 2 current pavilions, like France and Morocco.

deltableh

Disney is very good at hiding the additional pavillion spots. However, I don't see any new countries for Epcot anytime soon. Disney requires some very large fees for building a new pavillion for a country. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but it's offputting for the governments of the countries.

heartodisney

That's very ambitious! I wonder where WDI would have found room for all those pavilions though? :veryconfu Looking at Google Earth, the only site that seems large enough is the Outpost, which might be able to hold 2, although others may be able to be shoehorned between 2 current pavilions, like France and Morocco.

The oringinal design of Epcot (the park) was vastly different from the final version. For one thing, Future World and World Showcase were reversed, with World Showcase serving as the entrance to the park. Additionally, Epcot was at one time intended to be built across from the Magic Kingdom on the Seven Seas Lagoon. This also from "Celebrations" mag. I am sure this could have added more room and very much changed the "landscape" of all the resorts and parks!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
30 Pavillions were originally planned for the World Showcase. The original design called for two connected semicircles dubbed the "Courtyard of Nations",
That was the 1975 Showcase project - next to the TTC (not in Seven Seas) - vastly different than what was built.

As of now there is space, as we discuss every few months, but with no one to pay for a new pavilion it won`t happen anytime soon. The existing ones will continue to be plussed.

heartodisney

That was the 1975 Showcase project - next to the TTC (not in Seven Seas) - vastly different than what was built.

As of now there is space, as we discuss every few months, but with no one to pay for a new pavilion it won`t happen anytime soon. The existing ones will continue to be plussed.
Thank you for the info! But, still is sad they have not yet done anything with this! :cry:

dshimel

but with no one to pay for a new pavilion it won`t happen anytime soon. The existing ones will continue to be plussed.

And as I understand it, this is the real problem. Disney wants the country to pay a significant portion of the construction as a sort of tourism sponsorship like thing.

Countries that have paid have not been overly impressed with the extra visitors their pavilions have generated.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sponsors have dropped out of World Showcase over the years just like in Futureworld, leaving The Mouse to pick up the upkeep tab.

The world has changed. Business has changed. Corporate sponsorship is heading into the past more and more, which leaves a huge challange for a park who - more than most - based its whole business plan on getting 3rd parties to pay for things.

The Empress Lilly

Everything has been said already.

Even so, I would love some new pavilions. I shall never stop dreaming. I'd also love for Disney to finally finish the unfinished pavilions. (Italy, Germany, Japan, the UK)

What a mess! :cry:

And to think WS is so very pretty! :eek:
With the changes in Future World over the years, something happened which I never considered would happen: the soul of EPCOT was transfered from FW to WS.

raven

30 Pavillions were originally planned for the World Showcase.

Sadly only a small handfull of countries even responded at that time so plans had to be changed.

Although I know the countries are supposed to sponsor their own pavilion, I'd love to see Egypt or India added just for something completely different.

wdwfan22

I know I should never say never, but i don't see any countries being added to the World Showcase anytime soon. I also really don't see any of the countries being plussed with attractions anytime soon. I hope they prove me wrong on the second part.

wolf359

I think the only plussing we'll see for the time being are projects that create an immediate, measurable revenue stream like the restaurants being added to Mexico and Italy.

EPCOT Explorer

the soul of EPCOT was transfered from FW to WS.

...Well...I don't think that has happened...I think that both FW and WS have held the "spirit" of EPCOT quite well, just in very different ways.

WS is still very much a part of EPCOT Center, though. :D Nothing has been touched, in a way. We've only had some torches and some Merch/Food kiosks added. :D

worldfanatic

I don't know, I've just got a feeling that Epcot can and will make a big splash by announcing plans for a new country in the next couple years. :shrug:
We've all heard the rumors, which are generally useless.
But it seems like the time's right. Especially since the Magic Kingdom's new Fantasyland addition is geared toward the younger set.
A new Epcot country would appeal to the more mature crowds Disney also wants and needs to attract.
I can just feel it happening.

Disney needs to give up on the model of having outsiders pay for their attractions. I think they're learning this.

I also think the Outpost's days are numbered.
Can you say.......Australia?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom