World of Color

sponono88

Original Poster
I guess the damage isn't as serious as Al is reporting -- the show is planned to be back on tonight and Fastpasses are being distributed. I don't know if the problem has already been fixed but it looks like things are back to normal for now.

TP2000

I guess the damage isn't as serious as Al is reporting -- the show is planned to be back on tonight and Fastpasses are being distributed. I don't know if the problem has already been fixed but it looks like things are back to normal for now.

That's good news! They must have gotten the platforms unstuck and patched up overnight, or are confident the repairs will be done in the next six hours.

cdunbar

Well I hope they fix it, and yes I know we all complain when someone says this but I'm going to anyway, because I am DYING to see it on my trip which begins Wednesday!

Nicole220

Good news!

Well I hope they fix it, and yes I know we all complain when someone says this but I'm going to anyway, because I am DYING to see it on my trip which begins Wednesday!
:sohappy::D

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I really hope there isn't any more down time for the show and anything that needs fixing can be done overnight. I have the WoC dining package at Ariel's Grotto for this Tuesday night and then I am going to see it again at least once more during the week. Depending on our room location at Villas at Grand Californian we may even try to see it when we arrive on Monday.

sponono88

Original Poster
another live webcast tonight at 9PM, from SF.

@Disneyland: Don't forget to check out the live webcast from the San Francisco stop of the World of Color Road Show at approx 9 p.m. PT tonight

TP2000

The Palace of the Legion of Honor building is just stunning, even without the amazing World of Color overlay on it at night. While I'm more of a De Young Museum kind of guy when I'm in San Francisco, the Palace of the Legion of Honor is a fantastic edifice to use for this concept.

legion_of_honor.298122207_std.jpg

I wonder how Disney got permission to use all of these famous and/or culturally significant and historic California landmarks? Bravo to Disneyland's PR department for going so upscale and sophisticated (yet still fun and approachable) with this entire promotion, instead of just doing the usual cheesy mall tour set up in a food court by JCPenney. :rolleyes:

What a class act Disneyland is! :sohappy:

sponono88

Original Poster
The Palace of the Legion of Honor building is just stunning, even without the amazing World of Color overlay on it at night. While I'm more of a De Young Museum kind of guy when I'm in San Francisco, the Palace of the Legion of Honor is a fantastic edifice to use for this concept.

I wonder how Disney got permission to use all of these famous and/or culturally significant and historic California landmarks? Bravo to Disneyland's PR department for going so upscale and sophisticated (yet still fun and approachable) with this entire promotion, instead of just doing the usual cheesy mall tour set up in a food court by JCPenney. :rolleyes:

What a class act Disneyland is! :sohappy:

I agree, I think they did great job with this. It's a great way to highlight CA landmarks and also give WoC some extra promotion. Can't wait to see what they do with the Sky theme and the Walt Disney Concert Hall.. The building gives them a really large canvas, and the smooth surface should make the images look amazing.

3194029626_722a038197_z.jpg

I wish they could've done a show at the Griffith Observatory - that would have been the perfect spot for a Space theme.

4573303384_5081063970_b.jpg

TP2000

Yes, but I'll see you a beautiful Griffith Observatory and raise you a massive USS Midway! :D

Can you imagine what they are going to do when they have an entire US Navy Aircraft Carrier to work with? When the World of Color Road Show gets to San Diego, they are using the USS Midway as the backdrop for the theme of "Water"! This San Diego stop will be amazing as well!

USS Midway Aircraft Carrier, San Diego
midway1.JPG

What a fabulous way to showcase not just World of Color, but also California!

TP2000

^Is the museum in the aircraft carrier? Because it says it's in a museum.

Yes, the USS Midway is a naval museum. There are some exhibits on the pier next to the carrier, but the museum and the main exhibits are on board the ship, including 27 types of restored military aircraft displayed on the flight deck.
2290050627_7f20f861da.jpg

The World of Color Road Show in San Diego won't be in a museum, it will be on a museum. The museum being the famous USS Midway Aircraft Carrier, just like the Road Show was shown on a museum in San Francisco, the Palace of the Legion of Honor, which is a famous museum that specializes in European and/or Impressionist artists.

The USS Midway is lit up beautifully at night as it sits in San Diego Harbor, but when they use the World of Color projectors on it I'm sure it will be something extra-special.

7682-large_USS%25252520Midway%25252520Night%25252520Port%25252520Skyline.JPG

sponono88

Original Poster
An update from the Disney Parks Blog:

(7/15/2010) – We’ve permanently added a third World of Color show each night through Labor Day.

This also means that DCA will have an 11pm closing time every night through Sept. 6!

--

Also, tonight will be the second stop for the World of Color Road Show - - tune in at 9PM Pacific to see the live webcast:

Sacramento: The theme for Sacramento will be "Nature". Forest and garden scenes from animated classics like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pocahontas, Bambi, and Alice in Wonderland will be shown in historic Old Sacramento.

Show dates and times: Live webcasts will take place Thursday through Sunday, July 15-18 from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. each evening.

sponono88

Original Poster
WOCSMALL.jpg

More World Of Color Coming Your Way This Summer Plus More News! from the Disney Parks Blog:

As we celebrate the 55th anniversary of Disneyland this weekend, we’re giving guests, cast members and “World of Color” fans one more thing to celebrate.

We are adding a third “World of Color” show at 11:15 p.m. every night through Labor Day. The show has been extremely popular, and we’re hoping our guests will be thrilled with more opportunities to see this amazing display of water, music and Disney storytelling. (Please note: The time for all shows are subject to change. Please check Disneyland.com for the most up-to-date schedule and tips to reserve viewing).

We also will extend Disney California Adventure park hours until 11 p.m. through Sept. 6, 2010. This will give guests even more time to experience all of the exciting nighttime entertainment at the Disneyland Resort.

And if that’s not enough, we are also thrilled to announce that Toy Story Mania and Mulholland Madness will remain open during performances of “World of Color” while the park is still open to guests.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/07/more-world-of-color-coming-your-way-this-summer-plus-more-news/

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Well, I finally got to see WoC! On Tuesday night we did the dining package with Ariel's Grotto. The dinner portion wasn't the best experience (we were SUPER rushed and the food was just OK) but the viewing area was perfect. We stood on the steps right below the water play area. It wasn't packed super tight so it was actually quite pleasant. The show left me looking like this...:eek: I couldn't believe what I was actually watching half the time.

We then watched it two times from the viewing patio at the Grand Californian. You can't see any projections but you get a whole new appreciation for the show. I loved being able to see all the patterns the lights make (something that is hard to see from the ground) and you get a real appreciation for how massive this thing is. The 4th time I saw the show we were in the front row down on the boardwalk. That was a great view if you don't mind being absolutely drenched when it's all over. Huge walls of water would come at us and there wasn't a damn thing you could do to avoid it. It was a fun experience though. Besides, once we were wet we just ran over to Grizzly and then Splash Mt. Might as well just keep the soggy theme going. :shrug:

All in all, I am glad I got to see the show as many times as I did and got a few different views of it. What an amazing show they have created. I just wish the merchandise was better. The only shirt that appealed to me was the Passholder one and it was so tiny it never would have fit me.

rccola18

so I called up Disney dining and they had told me that the World of Color dining package doesn't go beyond Labor Day because officially it will go down seasonal past then. I was a bit disappointed but I hope they keep the show going when I'm down there in mid September. :shrug:

sponono88

Original Poster
tiggerific - thanks for the report, i'm glad you enjoyed the show! :D was this your first trip to DL?

rccola18 - The show will play year-round, it's not a seasonal show. It should still be playing during your trip is September :) In fact, Al Lutz addresses this very question in this update today:

Editor's Note 7/24: As summer rolls along, World of Color's popularity is growing by the week, DCA dinner sales are huge despite the weak economy, and Fastpasses are selling out earlier each day. With all that good news, Team Disney Anaheim is getting very close to entirely banishing the 6PM weekday closing times in the off-season that DCA has had for the past decade. Later this week TDA should give the final blessing to year-round 8PM weekday closing times in the off-season, beginning this September, with at least one World of Color show performed daily on weekdays at 8:15PM. The weekend hours at DCA this fall will offer at least a 10PM closing with multiple shows per night. In the meantime, TDA really needs to get the reservation agents at the 781-DINE line to stop telling callers that World of Color gets shut down completely after Labor Day and goes "seasonal", as nothing could be further from the truth. There's got to be a better way to phrase that.

- Al Lutz

so all in all this is very good news for DCA and a big step forward for the park. WoC is now an integral part of the park and it has proven popular with guests, the result is extended park hours even in the off season!

rccola18

sponono88 - Thank you for that little piece of information. I will keep checking on the dining packages and I'm excited that I will be playing in the parks later in the night!

Have a great day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom