World of Color

TP2000

Video of the World of Color Road Show at San Diego's USS Midway

[youtube]7ITdD3qpOfE[/youtube]

How cool! And of course, this is being shown on the USS Midway during the weekend of ComicCon in San Diego at the nearby San Diego Convention Center! DUH!

Very, very smart campaign here by Disneyland's marketing department!

Nicole220

Saw WoC for the second time, this time from front and center. Man, did it make a huge difference. For me, this is the only way to go now. I fell in love with the show all over again. Just stunning. I love being so close to all the fountains, and you can still see everything that's going on at each end of the show.

sponono88

Original Poster
The Disney Parks Blog has announced a second meet up at the parks - this one will be for World of Color! A behind-the-scenes look at WoC, featuring a panel discussion with the creators along with a special viewing of the show.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/08/world-of-color-meet-up-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

You asked for it! After our first successful meet-up back in May, we’ve been planning our next event. We’ve had a lot of requests for a “World of Color” Meet-Up, so next Thursday we’ll be making that wish come true for 300 guests. If you’re a true “World of Color” fan, you will have the opportunity to hear from some of the show’s creators, including two Imagineers.

We’ll be hosting a panel discussion with Steven Davison, Vice President of Parades and Spectaculars, Sayre Wiseman, Director of Show Production, and Mary Niven, Vice President of Disney California Adventure park and Guest Services.

The event will be a rare opportunity for a personal, behind-the-scenes look at the show and its creators. Fans will have a chance to ask questions and to hear the show’s creators talk about some of their favorite memories since they started working on this project in 2005.

As if that weren’t enough, for this very special event, we will have reserved viewing in Paradise Park at the 9:00 p.m. performance of “World of Color” for this exclusive group.

If you want to attend, make sure to send in your RSVP email quickly!

edit - Update:

@Disneyland All spaces are now full for the World of Color meet-up. You will receive a confirmation e-mail if you RSVP’d in time.

sponono88

Original Poster
Disneyland's Twitter is providing live updates of the meet-up tonight:

6:25 - Disneyland
The World of Color Meet-Up has begun! The first attendees have just checked in. #DisneyMeetup

7:18 - The World of Color Meet-Up discussion panel is about to start. Fans are anxious to ask their questions.

7:30 -Time for panel w/ Disney’s Steven Davison, Sayre Wiseman and Mary Niven. Stay tuned for what’s being said!

7:33 - Three guests here tonight attended the Toy Story Mania! Meet-Up, the World of Color blue carpet premiere and tonight’s meet-up.

Heather Hust Rivera from Disney Parks Blog is welcoming guests to the World of Color Meet-Up.

A picture of the speakers on stage: http://twitpic.com/2ii6fy

7:40 - Sayre Wiseman, Show Producer, is sharing memories from the recording of the World of Color soundtrack at Abbey Road Studios.

7:52 - Steven Davison is showing meet-up guests a never-before-seen animatic for World of Color - the original concepts for the show.

7:57 - Mary Niven, Vice President, Disney California Adventure, saw World of Color as "a game-changer for the park"

8:07 - World of Color panel q&a has begun - Steven Davison says the great thing about World of Color is it will always be changing.

8:08 - Glitter effect in WALL-E scene was a "magical discovery" - Steve Davison, Show Creator

8:14 - One World of Color Meet-Up guest traveled all the way from Georgia to be here

8:20 - Favorite World of Color scene? Sayre: Pocahontas; Steven: Genie; Mary: "the saddest moment" [in Lion King]

---

Those who attended received a free 1-Day ticket to the parks, a commemorative World of Color photo, and a Disney Parks Blog pin. I'll edit this post and add any other updates as they come in. Here's hoping they ask good questions at the panel!

JustInTime

I am dying to see Disneyland in it's glory. WOC make it seem even more realistic. I will wait until 2013, I think. Let the new DCA settle in. :)

sponono88

Original Poster
@englishboila is tweeting live updates as well: https://twitter.com/englishboila

- Steve says long days and nights all night at DCA.. The fountains were like real people!! He's showing fun internet rumors.

- showing Big Bang Theory clip where sheldon mentions DCA water show!! Steve loves it!! Free publicity!!

- now showing Original Show Animatic from Oct 2008. Temp music, no score at that time.. Mickeys fantasia hat was in show!!

- original animatic from 2008 .. Enchanted sequence with How Do You Know was in it... Cut last minute!! :( sad

- a lot more original world of color 1960s footage in the first animatic...

- 2nd question how much has water bill gone up... Not at all says mary as its all recycled water!!

- changes already coming to WOC it will change and evolve and steve says new things are on way soon!!!

- 3rd how do they make glitter effect in walle? Steve says it was all by accident and discovery while testing the show!!

- Lady hasn't seen show yet!! Where did idea of so much show with water come from?? Needed big space and lagoon was perfect!!

- Q was it always 2010 opening planned?? A: yes.. Just moved date slightly but plan was always spring! They are still learning!

- Q: in terms of design process will chernaborg or other things be back!!?? A:not how we planned originally. It just wasn't good

- June 11th was a date set months out and they stuck to it!!

- final Q: if world of color was a jamba juice flavor what would it be and why!?? A: multilayered haha

- http://twitpic.com/2iim6x - WOC #DisneyMeetup caramel apple special for meet up attendees!!! So excited!!

lurkyloo Q: What 1 thing that Iger cut from WOC would Steve put back? A: Alice in Wonderland

sponono88

Original Poster
The Q&A is over. Some pretty good questions, and some not so good ones (Jamba Juice Flavor? the water bill question was pretty silly too.) I was hoping someone would at least bring up Little Squirt..

I'm glad someone asked about the changes Iger implemented. Steven said the Alice segment is something he would want to bring back into the show (Apparently Alice was axed by Iger).. Also good to have confirmation on Chernabog tower. It didn't look the way they expected it to - I wonder if they will ever use it for something else?

Finally, it's good to hear that new additions are coming very soon - just like Steven described when he said the show would be constantly changing. Can't wait to see what they add.

Testtrack321

Jamba Juice and water bill question people will be taken out back and shot. I mean *really*, what flavor? Water bill? One is asinine, the other stupid.

sponono88

Original Poster
^ Exactly. I noticed some of the people who asked questions hadn't seen the show yet or weren't very interested in what happened behind the behind-the-scenes.

Coheteboy at MiceChat has an excellent photo report of the WoC Meet-Up. Click here to see the full post with pictures: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/142779-woc-meetup-reviews.html#post1056208792

Apparently Steven lurks Disney message boards - that one picture in the photo collage "Don't judge me so soon!!" was made by a MiceChatter! So cool that they acknowledged the online community.

This article by the Disney Parks Blog contains additional pictures and a recap of the event: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/08/world-of-color-meet-up-guests-get-inside-scoop/

sponono88

Original Poster
I found these videos from the meet-up event. First video is Sayre Wiseman reminiscing about the recording sessions for the soundtrack at Abbey Road Studios. Included is a never-before-seen video of an iPhone video recorded by Steven Davison (giving a sneak peek of the orchestra recording the music)

[youtube]qG5OtxOsQh0[/youtube]

You might want to turn up the volume for this second video (it has very low sound). This one features early pre-visualition videos and animatics for the show. Very early concepts from 2008

[youtube]L4IT_k3IB-A[/youtube]

sponono88

Original Poster
@imagineer183 via Twitter:

Some news from the rumor mill! Luminaria 2.0 planned to debut this holiday season! Also a few new surprises for WoC later this year!

MiceChatter FutureImagineer183 is reporting that there is a high possibility Luminaria 2.0 will premiere this holiday season. For those who don't know, Luminaria was DCA's first nighttime show - a christmas fireworks celebration on the Paradise Pier lagoon. The show had a few issues with the pyro/smoke and it only lasted one season.

Despite the technical issues, Luminaria had a beautiful soundtrack and a unique Christmas theme. Steven Davison, the creator of both WoC and Luminaria, has expressed interest in creating an updated version of Luminaria using the new technology on the lagoon. It looks like this year could mark the return of a DCA 1.0 original show, with plenty of updates of course!

Here's a preview of the soundtrack:

[youtube]gyEUS8CIcAc[/youtube]

as for the surprises coming to WoC, i've heard it's very likely that the Chernabog tower will finally be added to the show.

Disneyson 1

^^ Did anyone realize that none of that Abbey Road music was actually used? That was the first, non-movie arrangement of A Whole New World and Go To Distance and then was the Alice in Wonderland segment!

sponono88

Original Poster
That was Steven's own video footage.. I guess he wanted to share the music that wasn't used in the show with the fans. Personally, I'm glad they scrapped Go The Distance - the Genie segment that replaced it is one of my favorite parts of the show (and according to Steven, it's his favorite as well :))

Disneyson 1

Genie IS really good, and totally one of my faves, but I really like the song Go To Distance. And the Alice segment (or whatever that fast-moving piece was) sounded REALLY good. Was the very ending of the song they showed the William Tell Overture?

TP2000

MiceChatter FutureImagineer183 is reporting that there is a high possibility Luminaria 2.0 will premiere this holiday season. .

This seems very, very early in the game to debut a new version of World of Color. I enjoyed Luminaria, but I would think they wouldn't touch World of Color for at least a year. Maybe for Christmas, 2011 when Mermaid is open and the rest of the Pier remake has all been completed? But my best guess would be Christmas, 2012 as the capstone to the DCA Extreme Makeover Phase 1.

Debuting a Luminaria version of WoC just six months after it opened seems quite rushed. Plus, you would think we'd hear rumors of it from elsewhere. :confused:

JerrodDRagon

as for the surprises coming to WoC, i've heard it's very likely that the Chernabog tower will finally be added to the show.
For anyone who does not know (like I did until I looked it up)
It's a tower located at the back of the WoC platform that hides under the water and is able to rise up to a height of 80feet I believe. It's speculated that it will be used to create Chernabog during the show. The tower itself features water fountains, projections, fire, and LED lighting.
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu232/2Epcot/DCA World of Color/IMG_3962-1.jpg

disneyland075

WORLD OF CLOR IS AZMING BEST SHOW IN THE DISNEYLAND THE FOUNTIONS GO HIRE THEN MICKEY FUN WHELL AND THE SHOW COVERS THE CALFROINA SCREEMEN:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom