World of Color?

sponono88

When is Disney going to show us a sneak peek of Tinkerbell and Little Squirt?

Not sure, but there's still a lot of stuff they haven't shown yet.. we just have to be patient ;) Tinkerbell can be seen for a few seconds in the new video they just posted.

So we're officially in the month of May now - only a couple weeks away from opening, and even closer to previews/soft openings :sohappy:

Nicole220

I don't think the music sounds tween-ish at all. I think it's very fitting for a Disney park. Amazing how adding music makes the show even better. I love the "part of your world" bit at the end, even if it is random. Love love love the soundtrack so far!

TP2000

But I honestly don't care for the music though. Just typical tween Disney Channel inspired pop fireworks music crap. For the love of god, get Gavin Greenaway to compose a ROE type score!

I would disagree with you on that one. I think the updated version of the 1961 World of Color theme song sounds great. And we also have to realize this World of Color jingle isn't going to be playing constantly throughout the entire 25 minute show. It's the title song that starts and ends the show, and pulls it all together thematically.

Did you know that Disney had the London Symphony Orchestra record this shows entire soundtrack a few months ago in the famous Abbey Road Studios in London? It was all custom orchestrated to match the various themes and images for each scene in the show; Pirates, Alice, Pocohontas, Nemo, Fantasia, Lion King, etc., etc.

They could have just cut and pasted snippets of music from all this stuff, including the old 1961 version of the World of Color song. But instead they went to great expense and energy to get one of the best symphony orchestras in the world to craft this custom soundtrack.

It's going to be epic, and something only Disney can do when they are at the very top of their game.

Maybe this Disney Parks Blog post from Steve Davison would help explain? http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/01/world-of-color-abbey-road/

Disneyfanman

I would disagree with you on that one. I think the updated version of the 1961 World of Color theme song sounds great. And we also have to realize this World of Color jingle isn't going to be playing constantly throughout the entire 25 minute show. It's the title song that starts and ends the show, and pulls it all together thematically.

Did you know that Disney had the London Symphony Orchestra record this shows entire soundtrack a few months ago in the famous Abbey Road Studios in London? It was all custom orchestrated to match the various themes and images for each scene in the show; Pirates, Alice, Pocohontas, Nemo, Fantasia, Lion King, etc., etc.

They could have just cut and pasted snippets of music from all this stuff, including the old 1961 version of the World of Color song. But instead they went to great expense and energy to get one of the best symphony orchestras in the world to craft this custom soundtrack.

It's going to be epic, and something only Disney can do when they are at the very top of their game.

Maybe this Disney Parks Blog post from Steve Davison would help explain? http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/01/world-of-color-abbey-road/

This is an example of why I have such high hopes for this show. There was another post about disney cutting corners on this show. Any project has trims and the important thing is that the stuff with the most impact remains. This show is getting massive publicity and will have the theme park industry watching to see if it meets expectations, and then more importantly if it significantly improves attendance particularly at night. This and TWWOHP at IOA are the most highly anticipated new attractions in the country this year. Both have a ton riding on them.

I am dying to see this show live! I've watched tons of clips and am awestruck. I have the same sense of anticipation as when I first went to see Fantasmic, and while I can't imagine anything ever topping that production I can easily see this show becoming a second "must see" at the resort in the same way that I never leave WDW without catching all of the night shows even if I have to park hop to do it. As for DCA, I can't remember when I have spent more than 4-5 hours in the park before going back across to DL. I guarantee that I will now spend a full day there. This single show will change my visit patterns and I can imagine that many others feel the same way. And when Carsland, TLM, and the full re-theming is completed? OMG this may finally become the wonderful 2nd park that I have been waiting for.

For now, I am planning on visiting with my family in mid-July..... hopefully after the initial massive crowds had died down just a bit. And if there are any missing effects due to Bob Iger's visit or budget trimming, I hopefully won't miss them because the show that actually gets running looks like one of the most wonderful night-time productions ever produced.

TP2000

Whoa!.... Al Lutz just posted an update on Miceage.com around 3:00AM Pacific Time, and it's a doozy!

It's mostly about World of Color and quite a bit of drama with Bob Iger and a viewing area that's too small and DCA now performing THREE SHOWS per night this summer. Lots more nuggets on World of Color too in the update at Miceage.

But really, three shows? 9:00PM, 10:15PM and 11:30PM, seven nights per week through Labor Day weekend.

sponono88

^ It'll be a very busy summer at DCA, that's for sure! 3 Shows, with a rumored Festival Of Color to keep guests busy until the next show starts.

Also, Bob Iger was supposedly not happy with the WoC merchandise they presented to him - he sent TDA back to drawing boards to come up with quality stuff. I guess it's good to know he's really involved with the project and is making sure it's a quality product. And according to Al, "he has reportedly cleared out big chunks of his weekly schedule in Burbank so that he can be personally updated on every major World of Color decision that needs to be made and remade in the six weeks until the premiere."

as for soft openings.. "sometime between May 12th and May 18th under the current timetable." :D

Testtrack321

I'm still waiting with anxious breath if some of the "missing" elements will finally be fully tested and added (lil squirt, Alice, etc)...

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Well that Al Lutz article is just down right terrifying. :lookaroun Seems like WoC is going to be an absolute nightmare come this July. All I can envision is a major stampede when they try to move everyone from the "festival of color" area to Paradise Park. I am at least glad that they are aware that they are in over their heads with the crowd control factor and they are taking steps to prepare. If WoC was opening in WDW they wouldn't even give a second thought to crowd control measures until 3 days before it opened. :shrug:

sponono88

^ Yes, it'll probably be very crowded.. but that article is just Al being Al. He has a tendency to exaggerate certain facts sometimes. So, yes, the park will be very busy but I don't think it'll be doomsday like Al is predicting. :)

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
^ Yes, it'll probably be very crowded.. but that article is just Al being Al. He has a tendency to exaggerate certain facts sometimes. So, yes, the park will be very busy but I don't think it'll be doomsday like Al is predicting. :)

Well I am glad to hear that. I'm not terribly familiar with Al's work, but I do know he has a reputation as a bit of an alarmist. I really don't want to have to battle the WoCpocalypse.

sponono88

Disneyland has a brand-new World of Color website! The site isn't fully ready yet, the website says they'll be adding more info soon.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/specialEvents/detail?name=WorldOfColor

You've never experienced anything like World of Color, where Disney magic weaves water, color, fire and light into a kaleidoscope of fantasy and imagination. Premiering June 11, 2010, this magnificent new nighttime water spectacular in Disney's California Adventure® Park will flood your senses with a dazzling new dimension of storytelling.

Imagine more than a thousand brilliantly colored jets of water soaring over 200 feet in the air, rhythmically moving in time to the music. Water sprays form incredible shapes that become the supporting performers — and are liable to steal the show!

Music fills the night and moves you with timeless melodies that capture moments of drama, humor, sentiment and magic. As the story unfolds, towering mist screens rise before you, suspending beloved Disney Characters on the shimmering surface, moving closer until you feel immersed in the wonderful World of Color.

A Spectacular Show and So Much More
Debuting June 11, 2010, World of Color excitement will fill Disney's California Adventure® Park and beyond. Come back soon for more information.

One important thing to note is the mention of special dining experiences. Maybe the dining packages in Ariel's Grotto..? I guess we'll have to wait until they release more info on this.

Dining Enhances Your Magical Evening
World of Color takes the idea of dinner and a show to a whole new level. Whether you reserve one of the special dining experiences or want to get a quick snack before the show, World of Color will be the centerpiece of a great night out.

So exciting.. It's all coming together now. We're getting closer to the premiere date!

sponono88

The new website features two new pictures I hadn't seen before. First is a small Lion King/Pride Rock picture..

WorldOfColorThumb.jpg

And a larger picture with several characters from the show.. Princess Tiana is prominently featured - could this be confirmation that PatF is still in the show?

WOCArtSize2.png

TP2000

Well I am glad to hear that. I'm not terribly familiar with Al's work, but I do know he has a reputation as a bit of an alarmist. I really don't want to have to battle the WoCpocalypse.

As long as you go on a day when the most AP's are blocked out, you should be fine. A Saturday in July is your best bet, but a mid July visit is good any day of the week.

Fridays and Sundays this September however, when all the AP's get unblocked, and all bets are off for how crazy World of Color will be! :eek:

And don't mind Al, he has a certain tone to his articles, but they tend to be very accurate and very informative.

sponono88

a short WoC update tonight

- The Disneyland Calendar has been updated - DCA will now close at 11PM starting June 11th! :sohappy:

- A CM on DISBoards reportedly saw signs backstage that will eventually be used to announce soft openings. They're preparing the signs, but still no dates yet (Al says it could be as early as next week.) Edit - Screamscape is now reporting that WoC soft openings could happen next week (May 14 & 15). Still only a rumor at this point - nothing has been confirmed yet..

and finally..

Originally posted by boy33
Signs like this one, hyping World of Color to the DLR CMs, are reportedly "all over the place."

96354842.jpg

edit - the Blue Sky Cellar has new banners up, picture by MouseTimes

858504266_WLuij-L.jpg

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
As long as you go on a day when the most AP's are blocked out, you should be fine. A Saturday in July is your best bet, but a mid July visit is good any day of the week.

Fridays and Sundays this September however, when all the AP's get unblocked, and all bets are off for how crazy World of Color will be! :eek:

And don't mind Al, he has a certain tone to his articles, but they tend to be very accurate and very informative.

Well, we will be there Monday through Sunday for a DL55 event so I figure we will aim for WoC on Tuesday most likely. :shrug:

sponono88

The countdown has begun! New banners at the Blue Sky Cellar:

859076998_DEdZf-L.jpg

859076722_TBuQq-L.jpg

The Alice paper sculptures in the BSC have been swapped out for TLM..

859077626_6FSK8-L.jpg

859077795_VQjk7-L.jpg

New umbrellas have been added to the Paradise Park viewing area - the trailers for programming are still in place

859086536_vyvgM-L.jpg

The roses are in full bloom, bringing a lot of color to the area :)

859081306_mZWmu-L.jpg

859079463_S2JsS-L.jpg

The UV lights in these bubble machines were on

859088197_FoLiK-L.jpg

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
The viewing area looks really great now...even if those umbrellas are moderately hideous. :lookaroun :lol: Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there was discussion a while back about those green trellis things possibly being removed. They are kind of strange looking to me. :shrug:

sponono88

The viewing area looks really great now...even if those umbrellas are moderately hideous. :lookaroun :lol: Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there was discussion a while back about those green trellis things possibly being removed. They are kind of strange looking to me. :shrug:

I don't think they look hideous.. It's a seaside park, the beachy/colorful look fits the theme. at least they provide a good amount of shade during the day, they'll be taken down for the show.

as for the trellises - there was a rumor that they'd be removed. they're still there for now, nobody knows what will happen to them. they look a bit odd right now because they vines aren't fully grown in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom