World of Color?

EPCOT Explorer

from DisneyGeek's latest update (12/22)

front projection surfaces testing -

http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/disneyland_image.php?update_dir=2009_12_22&page_id=27&num_image=3

projection screen testing w/ color patterns -

http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/disneyland_image.php?update_dir=2009_12_22&page_id=30&num_image=1

I was there that night and got to see some of the testing myself. very exciting to watch up close :)
WOW, those colors are bright. This is going to be amazing.

sponono88

for those who missed last week's MintCrocodile update -

the walkway reopened:
748962215_MnF7Q-L.jpg

and a small section of the new Paradise Park Plaza was opened:

748962785_LdAAn-L.jpg

748963822_4SF8r-L.jpg

748964009_xvq9Q-L.jpg

Work continues in the WoC viewing area:

748964928_b3xPV-L.jpg

748966634_NKREg-L.jpg

final overall look of the area:

748965115_SrXLz-L.jpg

thanks again to MintCrocodile! hoping for another update tomorrow :)

sponono88

Almost time for it to be opening year! :D

Can't wait. Even if I'll have to hunt down a HD Vid. :lol:

yep! only a few months away now :)

for those who missed the video that was posted a few days ago:

[youtube]m_Qlj0BbaRo[/youtube]

a video shot by MintCrocodile, showing all the testing/programming that has been going on lately.

--

To start off the new year, I'll go ahead repost some info that was mentioned earlier in the thread - just in case some of you missed it.

World of Color -Show Overview

(warning: long post ahead and major spoilers!)

---

Here's something I put together last night -- it's nothing we don't already know, just an organized list that provides an overview of the show with brief scene descriptions. This is the basic layout of the different segments as described by Steven Davison. As he already mentioned, this is the initial roadmap for the show and some segments are subject to change once the actual show opens.

Opening
I. The Magical Light
- Show starts in the audience, sweeps out into the lagoon and enchants the water, making it sparkle.
- Lasers appear; Out of the mist comes the magical light.
- "The Wonderful World of Color" theme song.

II. Tinker Bell Enchants Walt Disney's Words
- "Every Child Is Blessed With A Vivid Imagination" - Walt Disney
- The letter "D" becomes Little Squirt, who makes his first appearance as a little orange fountain.

The Colors of Earth, Sea, Sky
I. The Magical Forest, featuring the Spring Sprite.
- The Spring Sprite flies through the lagoon and enchants the water, creating beautiful trees and flowers.
- She unveils the 400-foot wall of water.

II. River Bend/ Pocahontas
- River made of fountains flows towards the audience
- Segment transitions into "Just Around the River Bend" and "Colors of the Wind"
- Ends with water butterflies and the tunnel of light.

Color in the Storm
I. April Showers
- Heimlich appears and greets the audience, popping up from behind a leaf.
- The Old Mill emerges in the middle of the rain shower, which then becomes a full-color Storm/Lightning display.

Colors of Wonderland
A Technicolor Wonderland!
- Falling Alice lands in Wonderland and meets the White Rabbit, who is done as a white fountain racing across the lagoon.
- The White Rabbit's clock explodes, the numbers fly up against the back wall of water.
- Transition into Card March and Flower Garden segments.
- Cheshire Cat appears and disappears; this is followed by the fountains playing pong with his head.
- Alice's world is swept away by a wave.

Colors of the Sea
I - The Little Mermaid:
- A wave made out of lasers takes us down into the ocean, into the world of the Little Mermaid. "Part of Your World".
- Projection domes first appear, rising out of the water as giant jellyfish.
- "Under the Sea", The fountains dance, Little Squirt guides the way as they all do a conga line.

II . The World of Crush/Finding Nemo
- A big wave brings Crush into view; he takes us surfing, the fountains make the curve of the EAC.
- As Crush splashes out, Marlon and Dory appear - they encounter and talk to a giant whale made entirely out of fountains.

Sailing Through The Stars
- Dory calls the whales. The whales come splashing up, rising from the water and flying out towards the sky; they sail off into the stars.
- The projection domes appear again and transform into planets; LED lights take on a sparkle tone as the lagoon turns into a sea of stars.

Colors of the Universe
I. The World of Wall-e and Eve
- Diana shoots her arrow across the sky, the comet becomes Eve.
- Wall-E and Eve, "Define Dancing".
(Details about this scene were kept secret by Steven, but he described it as a "sumptuous dream in color in the stars".)

II. Infinity and Beyond
- We end up in Andy's room, we see Buzz and Woody on the bed; they argue over whether or not Buzz can fly..
- Buzz flies! and becomes a giant ribbon of water and laser interaction; all the fountains rise up into the sky, with the little green aliens making an appearance as the scene wraps up.
- Carl shows up in his house, they float up into the sky.

III. Aladdin And Jasmine
- As the scene transitions into the sky, we see Aladdin and Jasmine appear out of the clouds. "A Whole New World".
- They sail through the clouds on the magic carpet, the fountains perform a water ballet beneath them.
- They fly off into the full moon.

Color of Fears
I. A Medley of Villains
- Dr. Facilier appears as the full moon begins to get eclipsed.
- Esmeralda emerges as a living piece of fire and then becomes animation as we enter the Hellfire segment.
- The Firebird from Fantasia appears and it is created out of fire and water.
- A drum sequence leads into the Chernabog scene. (not too many details here either, all we know is it will feature a lot of fire!)
- The fire stops, the mist goes from red to green as Scars makes his first appearance. Scar takes us into the next big segment of the show, The Water Stampede.

Fears to Tears
I. The Magical Auroras
- After the stampede and Mufasa's death, we see Dumbo, Bambi, and Simba appear with their families. The aurora borealis lights shine in the background.

II. Transformation
- Belle says, “I love you”, the Beast rises and transforms.
- "So Close" medley from Enchanted plays, as Sleeping Beauty awakens. Snow White is kissed and is awakened.
- All the transformations explode and become the Million Points of Light.

Finale
I. The Kaleidoscope of Color
- All the colorful worlds appear all together and they join into a bright and colorful kaleidoscope finale.
- Tinkerbell once again enchants the words, "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney
- This leads into the last finale scene which, at this point, hasn't been revealed yet.
- The fountains take their final bow.

After the show, an encore piece will follow.
---

The Making of World of Color - D23 Expo, Sept. 2009

Part 1
[youtube]xbtMortRHZ0[/youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]7Q7P2hV-Nw0[/youtube]

Part 3
[youtube]q0DIjxwyEcU[/youtube]

Part 4
[youtube]leVJuQXQEBM[/youtube]

Part 5
[youtube]esodXP4geec[/youtube]

Part 6
[youtube]dVPybaOEUK4[/youtube]

World of Color - Press Release
http://www.disneylandnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=447

Innovative Entertainment Technology Drives ‘World of Color’ – the Next Milestone in Expansion of Disney’s California Adventure

Fall 2009 Update: Water Refills the Lagoon at Paradise Bay

ANAHEIM, Calif. (July 16, 2009) – Elaborate preparation is underway for “World of Color,” the spectacular nighttime water show that will astound guests with its magnitude and creativity when it debuts in spring 2010 as the next major milestone in the expansion of Disney’s California Adventure park. Surpassing all Disney water productions, “World of Color” will bring Disney animation to life with powerful fountains that become stars of the show as they create the world’s largest projected water screen.

For months now, guests at Disney’s California Adventure have been peering into the lagoon near Paradise Pier as Walt Disney Imagineering and Creative Entertainment have installed the massive infrastructure and innovative technology that will create the stage for this extraordinary combination of music, animation and stunning water effects. Teams of Disney workers have built nearly an acre of superstructure to support the complex “World of Color” production.

“World of Color” will combine hundreds of magnificent fountains, dazzling colors and an all-new kaleidoscope of audio and visual effects to take water-infused entertainment to a new level of artistry. The production will flood the senses, taking audiences on an imaginative journey into the colorful worlds of animated Disney classics such as “Alice in Wonderland,” “The Lion King” and “Pocahontas,” along with Disney•Pixar films “Toy Story,” “WALL-E” and many more.

Disney’s newest production features an unprecedented infrastructure of water effects, larger-than-life projections, lasers, fire, fog, surround sound and stunning images. This technical wizardry, combined with classic Disney film sequences, will create a breathtaking emotional experience for guests as jaw-dropping effects sweep across the lagoon, soar into the sky and rush toward the audience.

A newly designed 9,000-capacity viewing area will provide Disney’s California Adventure guests the best view in the park of this exciting nighttime extravaganza. The show lasts approximately 25 minutes.

Some of the technical magic behind ‘World of Color’ includes:
-Nearly one full acre of engineered superstructure, longer than a football field and capable of settling on three levels – one for the performance, one under the water surface and one for maintenance
-More than 1,200 powerful and programmable fountains
-A vast underwater grid with more than 18,000 points of control. Each fountain has multiple points of control for lighting, color intensity, water angle, height and more.
-Fountain heights that range from 30 feet to 200 feet in the air (by way of comparison, Mickey’s Fun Wheel reaches a height of 150 feet, some of it below the edge of the lagoon)
-A precise system of flame projections, lasers, and special effects that will flood the senses as guests experience the animation
-Scenic elements that rise more than 80 feet above the lagoon
-The world’s largest projected water screen – a wall of water 380 feet wide by 50 feet high for a projection surface of 19,000 square feet
-Nearly 30 high-definition projectors

For information on “World of Color” and other Disneyland Resort attractions, or to plan a celebration or vacation at Disneyland Resort, visit www.disneyland.com, call 866/60-DISNEY or contact local travel agents. To explore the expansion plans for Disney’s California Adventure, visit www.DisneysCaliforniaAdventure.com.

Nicole220

They keep saying SPRING 2010, but do we know the actual date/month?
I remember hearing April or May. Forget which one. I'm hoping for May because I'll be home from college. I'd like to be there opening night.

edit: Did some searching. Last weekend in April, apparently. The 24th or 25th. :)

cdunbar

Well I am under the impression it'll be open when we go for the 55th in July because it does say on our WDW Celebrations schedule that we're going one night...:shrug:

sponono88

I remember hearing April or May. Forget which one. I'm hoping for May because I'll be home from college. I'd like to be there opening night.

edit: Did some searching. Last weekend in April, apparently. The 24th or 25th. :)

that sounds about right, and it's what I heard as well. around mid-april..

EPCOT Explorer

Very nice. Right before you are swamped for the summer!
I'm VERY excited to see this! And Evan as for your video I'm sure someone when a bunch of us go in July will post one after they return home....:wave:

PLEASE do. :D HD. Tripod. Surround Sound. :D The works! :lol:

sponono88

A new video has just been posted on the Disney Parks Blog, it covers everything that is coming to DCA with the billion-dollar expansion.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/01/video-preview-what%e2%80%99s-coming-up-at-disney%e2%80%99s-california-adventure-park/

and here's the best part!

And, to give you an insider’s look at “World of Color,” Steven Davison, Vice President of Parades and Spectaculars, at Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment will join the Disney Parks Blog this month. Steven is the first Imagineer to join the blog, and when it comes to “World of Color,” Steven is the man behind the magic, so I hope you all enjoy his unique perspective.

:D

nemofinder22

A new video has just been posted on the Disney Parks Blog, it covers everything that is coming to DCA with the billion-dollar expansion.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ing-up-at-disney’s-california-adventure-park/

and here's the best part!

:D

Great video! now we'll have official Disney updates on the projects. Hmm the host, Im pretty sure I'v seen him as a vocal in Aladdin(the musical), HSM, C!ASP, and recently in Tiana's as Naveen. Great to see DLR Cast Members in these videos.

Even better to know Steve Davison will be added to the blog:sohappy:

sponono88

From Al's latest update 1/5/10:

The construction on the World of Color amphitheater fell behind schedule, and they weren't able to get the walls down by the time the Electrical Parade returned for Christmas as they had hoped. The work in the lagoon on the show itself is running on schedule however. The big media event and celebrity grand opening is still pegged for the last weekend in April as we'd told you earlier, and unscheduled soft openings and plenty of preview shows are currently planned to begin by the Easter Vacation weeks in late March.

What is also throwing the DCA planners a curve ball is the fairly long run time of the World of Color show, which is currently clocking in at just under 30 minutes. (For reference, Fantasmic! clocks in at 22 minutes, Remember Dreams Come True fireworks are 17 minutes long, and Epcot's Illuminations show is 15 minutes long.) The prestigious London Symphony Orchestra is slated to record the official soundtrack for the show later this month, and Steve Davison has agreed to try and trim some scenes, but it's still going to be a very long show.

so it looks like they're on schedule for an April opening. Not sure about the Showpass idea yet.. but if it helps manage the crowds properly, then I welcome the new ticketing concept. I just hope they are able to plan everything properly.

more info and full article at

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al010510a.htm

EPCOT Explorer

From Al's latest update 1/5/10:

so it looks like they're on schedule for an April opening. Not sure about the Showpass idea yet.. but if it helps manage the crowds properly, then I welcome the new ticketing concept. I just hope they are able to plan everything properly.

more info and full article at

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al010510a.htm
No trimming!!! :mad:

DHS Fantasmic is a little longer than yours and NEVER feels like 30 mins. The longer, the better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom