World of Color Making It's Way to Animal Kingdom?

FrankLapidus

Reflections of Earth was looking at specific lighting effects, fire whips and new lasers I believe.

That makes a lot more sense to me than trying to put some kind of night-time show in Animal Kingdom. Epcot and DHS already have the infrastructure in place for a WOC-esque show and that's the direction I assumed it would head in eventually, I never really considered it to be that viable in AK.

neoshinok

Pretty doubtful that they would put WoC at Disney Springs.. Unless you want TDO to start charging admission to get in.

I think they could have WoC free at Disney Springs and draw huge crowds who would then fill their restaraunts/shops/quest etc. WoC has to be much less expensive to operate than any fireworks show, so they could likely generate tons of revenue from this.

dcibrando

I think they could have WoC free at Disney Springs and draw huge crowds who would then fill their restaraunts/shops/quest etc. WoC has to be much less expensive to operate than any fireworks show, so they could likely generate tons of revenue from this.

I agree as long as crowds (or firework noise late at night) don't become a problem for SSR guests

emcclay

Ok, this could work. Wouldn't a show at DS give Uni's CW a run for it's money? Especially a show on the scale of WoC?

GiveMeTheMusic

Again, to install WoC in a pre-existing body of water would require draining said body of water, cementing the bottom and laying the infrastructure. I don't see them spending that kind of money at DTD.

doctornick

That makes a lot more sense to me than trying to put some kind of night-time show in Animal Kingdom. Epcot and DHS already have the infrastructure in place for a WOC-esque show and that's the direction I assumed it would head in eventually, I never really considered it to be that viable in AK.

Why? I think the complete opposite -- it makes much more sense to put some sort of nighttime show into DAK to allow for longer operating hours. Keeping DAK open late is problematic if you shut down the animal specific stuff (safari, walking trails, bird show, petting zoo) at dusk because they is not enough else to do. A nighttime show, along with Avatar and other additions, would help with that.

doctornick

I could see them doing some sort of show at DS to be a minor draw for evening entertainment, but it would have to be more small scale and just a little perk to keep people around longer at DS for more shopping/eating/drinking. It ain't going to be something extravagant like WoC, more like the Electric Light Pageant or a dancing fountain show.

FrankLapidus

Why? I think the complete opposite -- it makes much more sense to put some sort of nighttime show into DAK to allow for longer operating hours. Keeping DAK open late is problematic if you shut down the animal specific stuff (safari, walking trails, bird show, petting zoo) at dusk because they is not enough else to do. A nighttime show, along with Avatar and other additions, would help with that.

Like I said I just think the infrastructure is already in place in Epcot and Hollywood Studios and those parks are more conducive to a night-time show right now. I'm not against them putting one in AK by any means, it's just something that, at the moment, would surprise me if they did. If they want to extend operating hours then they need to get a move on and build more rides before a night-time show. If it happens eventually (and it isn't based on Avatar) I'll happily go and see it but personally I just think it's more likely that they would implement WOC or a similar show at Epcot or DHS at present.

NoChesterHester

While one could make that assumption, that doesn't usually occur with big free shows. Just look at Clairmont Street in Vegas. It was done for the reasons you stated, but really just encourages loitering and locals pick pocketing.

Macca250

taking some of the tech and integrating it into its current shows?

Reflections of Earth or Fantasmic or even in Magic Kingdom would be a good fit for WOC type fountains. I completely agree Animal Kingdom needs nighttime entertainment, but equally WOC technology could do wonders in existing shows. Imagine as an addition in the Cinderella Castle moat for either Celebrate the Magic or Wishes. If any of you have seen Disney Dreams over in Paris you'll know where I'm coming from.

Funmeister

The company will never build a nighttime show that is not a revenue generator. Please do not say that the show will draw people in who will spend more at the shops and restaurants. That looks great on paper but is the same reason Adventurers Club is gone. Too many campers taking up space to see a free show not spending money...not going to happen.

DancingPhoenix

The company will never build a nighttime show that is not a revenue generator. Please do not say that the show will draw people in who will spend more at the shops and restaurants. That looks great on paper but is the same reason Adventurers Club is gone. Too many campers taking up space to see a free show not spending money...not going to happen.

I was under the impression the Adventurers Club was gone because PI in generally was kind of a waste of space and Disney wanted more "family friendly". They didn't get rid of it because of a free show thing, and honestly if you have a good show like WoC people often do get swept up in it and end up staying longer and spending more money. Think of all the kids at nighttime parades and shows around the property that buy silly little twirling light wands or multi-colored swords, Disney (and children) is good at separating parents from their money.

Funmeister

I was under the impression the Adventurers Club was gone because PI in generally was kind of a waste of space and Disney wanted more "family friendly". They didn't get rid of it because of a free show thing, and honestly if you have a good show like WoC people often do get swept up in it and end up staying longer and spending more money. Think of all the kids at nighttime parades and shows around the property that buy silly little twirling light wands or multi-colored swords, Disney (and children) is good at separating parents from their money.

No they did a huge financial analysis on the island. They went into every club and restaurant and determined the estimated value of each space based on sales and square footage. They then compared this data to "comparable" merchandise and food locations and found that the real estate was not paying for itself. Disney fans and CM's were going to the Adventurer's Club in numbers but were not buying drinks or merchandise. They were there as regulars interacting with the Cast and filling up the shows (mask room, library, etc.) and still not buying drinks or merchandise the way tourists were targeted. The business model became flawed.

Sure there were concerns about the "family friendly" aspect but that was when PI first opened. It was "The Cage" and the lingerie shop that really did not play in to families. That philosophy is blown out of proportion a bit. If that were 100% true do you think Disney would allow any 3rd party restaurant to come in where kids could eat and dine a few feet from the bar? (if not at the bar?) It can go either way.

Disney will lose money by offering a free show on the scale of WoC. Paying customers will decide to stay home not to fight the crowds of people. Yes WoC would draw people but not the kind they want.

There is a reason merchandise shops and restaurants are empty (for the most part) or closed after MK fireworks or Illuminations (excpet for dining packages). You have to remember also all of those guests also paid at least $80+ to get to see those shows.

Funmeister

They didn't get rid of it because of a free show thing, and honestly if you have a good show like WoC people often do get swept up in it and end up staying longer and spending more money. Think of all the kids at nighttime parades and shows around the property that buy silly little twirling light wands or multi-colored swords, Disney (and children) is good at separating parents from their money.

How much did those guests have to pay to get "swept up in it?" Light up swords and twirly light up wands do not pay for the parades and fireworks. The shows are loss leaders helping to justify the gate admission therefore it can be considered somewhat as a revenue generator. The show itself does not generate money but it is an offering built into the price of paid admission.

Disney is not going to charge an admission for Disney Springs. They may charge for parking but that money is used for transportation, infrastructure and maintenance on roads and parking lots.

How do you make money off of a $100m+ water show if you allow people to see it for free? Through third party rent? That would make it WAY too expensive and you would have no tenants. A WoC tax on vendors? Good luck with that.

It's bad business. I am not saying they are not going to have any entertainment but I can tell you it will not be on the level of Fantasmic, WoC, Illuminations.

dcibrando

ya know... come to think of it... an electric water parade of some sort might be kinda cool - something to draw people in (not that they'd need something like this but it would be nice).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom