News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

Millionaire2K

As much as I love Back to the Future and RCT, that is not accurate. There is an extra road that will connect going northwest-bound. So, as a driver coming from the south on World drive, you will have 4 options. One will take you east towards the campground, one will take you to the MK parking lot and toll plaza, one will take you north towards the Contemporary, and one will take you northwest towards the Grand Floridian. This also means that a new exit from the MK parking lot will be created to allow traffic to flow in the different directions it needs to in order to connect with everything else. It's quite ingenious.

Like this?

kIe6mIe.png

Creathir

These design pics don't seem to indicate a new toll plaza, from my interpretation.
It appears that the pic @danlb_2000 referenced shows a wider exit from the parking lots, based on the current flow of traffic.

capture-jpg.141414

Wider exits mean more traffic. Given the confined space, my guess is parking garages are on their way...

raven

By moving the toll plaza down the road a few hundred yards could've solved a lot of this congestion a long time ago.

bjm72385

As much as I love Back to the Future and RCT, that is not accurate. There is an extra road that will connect going northwest-bound. So, as a driver coming from the south on World drive, you will have 4 options. One will take you east towards the campground, one will take you to the MK parking lot and toll plaza, one will take you north towards the Contemporary, and one will take you northwest towards the Grand Floridian. This also means that a new exit from the MK parking lot will be created to allow traffic to flow in the different directions it needs to in order to connect with everything else. It's quite ingenious.
I don't see this fourth option you mention on the maps. How do you get to the GF now? Looks to me like you continue north through the toll booth and take a left onto Seven Seas Dr to Floridian Way? If so, wouldn't this just stay the same?

bjm72385

Right. Just below where the speedway used to sit, the Floridian Way exit and a new parking lot exit road will flow onto World Drive, joined by a new flyover that can exit traffic directly back to World Dr instead of having to loop around the parking lots. The other half of the new parking lot road is the road that ends abruptly in the plan, which is the new inbound portion, coming from the side of World Drive coming in to the toll plaza currently.
I think I'm following what you're saying here. So would the new toll plaza in a later phase be located near the old back turn of the speedway, similar to this?
upload_2016-5-12_8-54-10.png

msteel

What I'm not seeing in this plan is a way to get from the Poly/GF to the TTC parking. Currently you would come down Floridian and take the ramp after the car care center. This ramp appears to be going away as the flyover ramp will be in this space.

ToTBellHop

I couldn't find a date in the permits but if I had to guess I would say around the end of summer.
Wonder how long it will take. It seems like the improvements over by MCO have been going on for awhile. Hopefully we aren't looking at years of a mess by the toll plaza.

Disone

Disney actually "owns" the roads from just before they widen for the toll plazas, at all the parks, so I would, at first thought, expect that it is Disney footing the bill directly for this project. However, on second thought, I would not be surprised if RCID is the direct financing option with Disney paying, of course, through their taxes to the District.

I have read this a few times now, and I could be wrong, heck I probably am wrong, but none the less, pretty sure all the roads are RCID's, before and after the toll plazas. Even the parking lots. RCID is responsible for all the infrastructure needs of the resort. From building codes for a gaint golf ball or fairtale castle, canals and waterways, to lane striping of a road. There are several public access points to the MK resorts with out using the MK toll plaza and have been for a very long time now. In fact, if you know the right route, it is entire possible to park for free at MK any day of the year.

Disone

I think I'm following what you're saying here. So would the new toll plaza in a later phase be located near the old back turn of the speedway, similar to this?
View attachment 141531
View attachment 141531
My guess is since they are not showing a new plaza, an planned widening to accomdate a new plaza, and planned narrowing of the road through the existing plaza, that the existing plaza remains.

maxairmike

I have read this a few times now, and I could be wrong, heck I probably am wrong, but none the less, pretty sure all the roads are RCID's, before and after the toll plazas. Even the parking lots. RCID is responsible for all the infrastructure needs of the resort. From building codes for a gaint golf ball or fairtale castle, canals and waterways, to lane striping of a road. There are several public access points to the MK resorts with out using the MK toll plaza and have been for a very long time now. In fact, if you know the right route, it is entire possible to park for free at MK any day of the year.

They may have an arrangement with RCID that they own/maintain the physical roads/ROW on WDP&R land, but if you look at parcel lines, you'll see that the main roads are on RCID land up to the parcel boundaries, and you can often see a difference in pavement at roughly where the parcel lines are. Everything from the toll plazas up to Reams all sit on WDP&R property. I'd have to take a look at the ROW provisions to be sure, of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom