News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

maxairmike

I was staring at the new flyovers under construction last week...

no doubt they are trying to make the western side as much of an entrance as the east.

one obvious reason: comcast

they’re more scared of them than they let on...no need for more car routes in the 21st century unless you’re trying to play “keep away”

This is purely a local accessibility solution the way I see it. The north service area is no longer just an entrance to MK Cast parking, it's the entrance/exit to property for a lot of cast in other areas of the resort, even after the improvement that the Western Way extension made in that area (the developer(s)/owner on the Orange side of the Lake/Orange County line needs to get with the program and allow the connection with Sawgrass to further improve connectivity and traffic situations as well, but that's another story). Throw in the local APs that knew enough that you could get on to property from Reams Rd and both groups using the resort roads because it's generally a less congested and more direct route home than the other options, and there's enough traffic to make those 2-lane roads around the Magic Kingdom at least less comfortable. It also makes it easier for MK cast coming from the south because there are still 2 "choke points" that slow traffic due to volume even after adding the flyovers to bypass the toll booths to get to the resorts area. This improvement in the roadways has been needed for years, but the continuing residential development (and now at a very rapid pace despite COVID) north and west of Magic Kingdom makes it even more useful and necessary. So not really anything to do with "competition," just already needed infrastructure improvement.

To answer the question of the post you quoted, I doubt it becomes an "official" entrance unless some developers decide that a bunch of hotels in the Summerlake/Summerport developments would be good and it becomes a popular area with park tourists instead of people visiting family that live back there (and I hope I didn't just speak that nightmare into existence...).

castlecake2.0

This is purely a local accessibility solution the way I see it. The north service area is no longer just an entrance to MK Cast parking, it's the entrance/exit to property for a lot of cast in other areas of the resort, even after the improvement that the Western Way extension made in that area (the developer(s)/owner on the Orange side of the Lake/Orange County line needs to get with the program and allow the connection with Sawgrass to further improve connectivity and traffic situations as well, but that's another story). Throw in the local APs that knew enough that you could get on to property from Reams Rd and both groups using the resort roads because it's generally a less congested and more direct route home than the other options, and there's enough traffic to make those 2-lane roads around the Magic Kingdom at least less comfortable. It also makes it easier for MK cast coming from the south because there are still 2 "choke points" that slow traffic due to volume even after adding the flyovers to bypass the toll booths to get to the resorts area. This improvement in the roadways has been needed for years, but the continuing residential development (and now at a very rapid pace despite COVID) north and west of Magic Kingdom makes it even more useful and necessary. So not really anything to do with "competition," just already needed infrastructure improvement.

To answer the question of the post you quoted, I doubt it becomes an "official" entrance unless some developers decide that a bunch of hotels in the Summerlake/Summerport developments would be good and it becomes a popular area with park tourists instead of people visiting family that live back there (and I hope I didn't just speak that nightmare into existence...).
That could be why they’ve been buying small chunks of land up in that area. With all that development they need to keep the buffer around the MK resort area.

Lilofan

You will be out of luck at North Service area behind MK during MK fireworks. Those roads are shut down due to fireworks fallout zone adding to the traffic woes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom