News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

articos

I'm not sure why buses from Poly or Grand would change direction from what they're doing now. The intersection you're referring to is designed to keep traffic moving from both the GF and Poly, so this would be the most efficient way for them to go.

What do you know that you're not telling us? To me, it looks like this interchange was designed with the main goal of KEEPING the toll plaza in place. It seems to be the only thing that DOESN'T move. And, if they're "moving up" as someone mentioned, where would they move to after this interchange is done? That doesn't make any sense...unless you're talking about just replacing the current toll plaza with a new one because its old. That's a different story.
This work is being done with the intention of being able to move the toll plaza to a point further in towards the parking lot in the future. The current plaza will be there during the work, but expect a replacement down the line.

GrumpyFan

They will. Say bye bye to the 1971 plaza.
These design pics don't seem to indicate a new toll plaza, from my interpretation.
It appears that the pic @danlb_2000 referenced shows a wider exit from the parking lots, based on the current flow of traffic.

capture-jpg.141414

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
These design pics don't seem to indicate a new toll plaza, from my interpretation.
It appears that the pic @danlb_2000 referenced shows a wider exit from the parking lots, based on the current flow of traffic.

capture-jpg.141414

This is just one part of a larger project so it possible there will be new toll booths but they just aren't part of this project.

halltd

This work is being done with the intention of being able to move the toll plaza to a point further in towards the parking lot in the future. The current plaza will be there during the work, but expect a replacement down the line.
Can you circle on one of the plans where the new toll plaza will go? To me that doesn't make any sense. But, it seems like you have insider knowledge. :)

halltd

These plans don't include future work. This allows for realigning the roadways to be able to move the plaza in the future.
I don't understand why they'd design and spend the presumably millions of dollars on this interchange without at least ties to where the new toll plaza would be. In the original plan, you can see several "ghost roads" that just end which leads me to believe those will tie into future roads. But, nothing points to "new toll plaza location". But, again, it seems like you have insider knowledge, so I'll suspend disbelief...at least a little bit. :)

articos

I don't understand why they'd design and spend the presumably millions of dollars on this interchange without at least ties to where the new toll plaza would be. In the original plan, you can see several "ghost roads" that just end which leads me to believe those will tie into future roads. But, nothing points to "new toll plaza location". But, again, it seems like you have insider knowledge, so I'll suspend disbelief...at least a little bit. :)
Take a look at the more detailed plans and the road alignments are on there. :) These are just the plans for the roadways, flyovers and drainage work submitted for the public roadways. The toll plaza and parking lots are a different ownership structure with separate plans.

Last edited:

articos

Anyone heard if all this roadwork will soon make it's way to Animal Kingdom? The flyover bridges are already there, but the bus approach is (and has always been) terrible because it takes you past the guard shacks, vehicle barriers and barbed-wire fences. (Looks like you're entering Jurassic Park!) On the way out, you get an exclusive sneak-peak of the CM parking lot. For comparison, visualize the entrance road to the Wilderness Lodge or Typhoon Lagoon.
Always hated that, but it's not a priority. Eventually they'll do something with that entry.

halltd

This does show the redo of the exit road, but that's not all exit road.
Yeah when I look closely at that plan, and read the intro on the first two pages, that road heading into the speedway appears to be the 4-lane divided east and west-bound Floridian Way that was referenced earlier to tie in with the new Reams Rd interchange. To the South of that is the MK exit roadway.

articos

Yeah when I look closely at that plan, and read the intro on the first two pages, that road heading into the speedway appears to be the 4-lane divided east and west-bound Floridian Way that was referenced earlier to tie in with the new Reams Rd interchange. To the South of that is the MK exit roadway.
Right. Just below where the speedway used to sit, the Floridian Way exit and a new parking lot exit road will flow onto World Drive, joined by a new flyover that can exit traffic directly back to World Dr instead of having to loop around the parking lots. The other half of the new parking lot road is the road that ends abruptly in the plan, which is the new inbound portion, coming from the side of World Drive coming in to the toll plaza currently.

halltd

The other half of the new parking lot road is the road that ends abruptly in the plan, which is the new inbound portion, coming from the side of World Drive coming in to the toll plaza currently.
That's where we disagree. That road that ends abruptly on the less cluttered plan continues up to the speedway on the "mess" of a drawing all outlined in yellow. That's clearly the new divided section of Floridian Way which will allow people to not have to cut in front of the Poly. It's not nearly wide enough for the number of lanes they need for the toll plaza.

articos

That's where we disagree. That road that ends abruptly on the less cluttered plan continues up to the speedway on the "mess" of a drawing all outlined in yellow. That's clearly the new divided section of Floridian Way which will allow people to not have to cut in front of the Poly. It's not nearly wide enough for the number of lanes they need for the toll plaza.
It will make sense in the future.

Progress.City

My prediction is that we eventually will get a new TTC located where the speedway was. And IF they were ever do some sort of monorail expansion, the new TTC would have to be completed first to accommodate a new monorail line. Pure speculation.
They should follow Universal's example, which is the construction of grade separated tram/bus lanes they plan on building along existing roads to connect parking, the new hotels, and the new water park. The way it's designed, more destinations can be easily added. Plus, those lanes can be converted easily to electric rapid transit or PRT any time in the future. Using the same system as Uni would also reduce costs because they would be using a single supplier.

The Visionary Soul

Please excuse the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to build it to scale.

f2XUpTq.png
As much as I love Back to the Future and RCT, that is not accurate. There is an extra road that will connect going northwest-bound. So, as a driver coming from the south on World drive, you will have 4 options. One will take you east towards the campground, one will take you to the MK parking lot and toll plaza, one will take you north towards the Contemporary, and one will take you northwest towards the Grand Floridian. This also means that a new exit from the MK parking lot will be created to allow traffic to flow in the different directions it needs to in order to connect with everything else. It's quite ingenious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom