News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

Monoblanco13

I don't know if this was mentioned but I was told the toll booths for Magic Kingdom will be moved up as well. Past the resort entrance so that people going to the resort do not need to go through the toll booths. Sorry again if wrong thread

mikeh

Yes, eventually Floridian will be 4 lanes all the way to Reams, that is the expansion connector for that part of the project (Phase 2)

Something like the green line?

snip_20150924083444.png

anchorman314

I don't know if this was mentioned but I was told the toll booths for Magic Kingdom will be moved up as well. Past the resort entrance so that people going to the resort do not need to go through the toll booths. Sorry again if wrong thread
It looks like instead of the toll booths being moved, the ramp to continue north to the resorts will begin before the booth, on the left side of the roadway.

mm121

A permit was filed with the South Florida Water Management District yesterday for improvements to the intersection of World Drive and the MK entrance.

View attachment 141413
long over due and should be a huge imprvement

now we know why the stoplight felt like a half measure, because it totally was / is until this gets completed

lets just hope all these road projects are funded by the rcid so they can be completed in a timely manor
especially this one as its causing a huge mess in front of the flagship park

its just ridiculous that they ignored road conditions for so long that now there having to play major catch up

bjm72385

It'll be quite the time savings to have buses heading south from MK skip over that awful route past the Polynesian. That probably adds 5 minutes (or more if the lights are all red) to transit time. Probably shave a minute or two off the trip up to MK and the MK resorts, too.
This was probably one of the worse parts of our recent trip, the ride back to Pop Century standing on a full bus after all day at MK. Made me realize then how badly this area needed to be reworked.

Also, based on the renderings posted, it looks like the Phase 2 part of the project with the new entrance road to the MK parking lot may come very close to the Mickey shaped pond. Wonder if we'll see that removed or not?

maxairmike

In the second image it looks like they're planning to keep the parking exit stream separate from southbound Floridian Way traffic until it reaches the meat of World Drive, allowing a nice 5 or 6 down to 3 lane merge and transition over a decent distance, and giving the service station customers an easier time exiting, as they would exit onto the two lane Floridian way before merging with the park exit flow. Also, in the first image you can see that there's a striped off median stub that merges with Floridian Way.

Of course, that's just my slightly educated interpretation of what I'm looking at.

matt9112

Good point!

Well, even if they did ever build a new TTC further south near the speedway, they would probably still retain the ferries for Magic Kingdom guests to get to the parking lot.

So if I get there early and have parking close to the current TTC but need to buy tickets I need to backwards than forwards?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think they should use the northeast corner of World Drive and EPCOT Blvd to place a very giant, triple-deck, circular/helical, multi-million dollar bus terminal hub. This would effectively be the new WDW transportation hub - non-accessible to cars, taxis, or Uber. It could have a monorail stop (maybe). All buses that go to and from any non-theme park would go here. That is, if you want to go from MK to Caribbean BR, or from MK to Disney Springs, or AK to Polynesian - you would board a bus from those locations to this hub, then change a bus at this hub to your destination. This particular spot is central and convenient to the entire property.
Or on what was the speedway plot....

Minus the monorail extension. Of course.

Brad Bishop

They really could do a nice, grand TTC where it is right now. They don't need the ticket booths. I don't see the point in moving the buses and taxis to the South of the parking lot or over to STOL.

I know it's not a priority but the TTC is pretty utilitarian. I remember thinking that when I was a kid going there and how much like a regular bus stop it was.

I still think an improvement could be made by just crossing the outer monorail track with the Epcot track after the TTC so you get one continuous theme park loop. If you're leaving the MK you get on it, head to the TTC, get off if you need to get to your car, or stay on to continue your trip to Epcot instead of that weird down, around, and back loop you have to take to get to the Epcot loop.

Something like this (one goes over the other):
Google_Earth_Pro.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom