News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

Millionaire2K

Why is everyone assuming the existing parking lot entrance is going away? Looking at the plan, there are yellow lines on the edges of the existing roadway going into the lot. Seems pretty clear to me that it is staying. Looks like the Floridian portion that currently ends at the speedway on this plan will be accessed via a left exit from World Dr.

Not everyone does. If you look at my RCT2 Creation picture on the last page I show the booth at the same location.

halltd

What I'm not seeing in this plan is a way to get from the Poly/GF to the TTC parking. Currently you would come down Floridian and take the ramp after the car care center. This ramp appears to be going away as the flyover ramp will be in this space.
This is what I'm wondering as well. If people are coming from this new "back entrance" to WDW, there doesn't appear to be a way to get into the MK parking lot without doing a u-turn on World Drive. There's also no way from this "back entrance" to get to Vista Blvd without turning left at the Poly and then right at Wilderness Lodge, then taking the flyover.

articos

I think I'm following what you're saying here. So would the new toll plaza in a later phase be located near the old back turn of the speedway, similar to this?
View attachment 141531
May not be exactly in that spot, but I expect in that general area, yes. Not sure where the road will branch off, but that part of the World Dr extension will also continue to the Grand Floridian, wedding pavilion and Shades of Green without needing intersections if they go as planned. This is still early in the planning phases - the report that is being referenced is an early part of the planning to do this type of work.

How can you justify this when there's a spur that goes directly to Floridian way just south of that new wide road (under the circled road)? They didn't bore those holes for nothing. You can pretty much take what @articos says as fact. Floridian way is just getting a widening. That new fat road on the speedway is MK's new entrance/exit.
capture-jpg.141414
Partly, yes. :)

Why is everyone assuming the existing parking lot entrance is going away? Looking at the plan, there are yellow lines on the edges of the existing roadway going into the lot. Seems pretty clear to me that it is staying. Looks like the Floridian portion that currently ends at the speedway on this plan will be accessed via a left exit from World Dr.
Ok, I'll get a little more into detail. In order to build a new plaza without disrupting current Parking Operations, you need to build it in unused space. That construction is separate from this planning - one is public roadway construction, the other private parking - two separate entities. In this case, the new road marked above is branching left and right prior to the existing toll plaza. The right branch feeds to the STOLport on a new access road and also splits to the existing road. The new STOLport direct access road is because they use the space for staging, meaning large trucks (and occasionally buses) go there. It's simply making it easier for those larger vehicles to access without having to deal with sharp turns. The left branch closer in feeds a new flyover that directs traffic to Wilderness Lodge and beyond. To the left of that flyover exit the road continues with the main thoroughfare up past the speedway. The new thoroughfare can be used to connect into a new toll plaza - when the new plaza is ready, they simply block the existing plaza and direct traffic to the left, cutting off the current plaza without disturbing current operations. At that point, they can demo the current plaza and rebuild that road to lead into the new plaza. Does this finally make sense to everyone?

This is what I'm wondering as well. If people are coming from this new "back entrance" to WDW, there doesn't appear to be a way to get into the MK parking lot without doing a u-turn on World Drive. There's also no way from this "back entrance" to get to Vista Blvd without turning left at the Poly and then right at Wilderness Lodge, then taking the flyover.
The assumption is if people are staying at the Poly, they don't need to get to the Main Parking lots. If they do need to, they can use the current path down Floridian and utilize the U-turn into the parking area, which will then be prior to the plaza, not after. Same with Wilderness and Contemporary. The new Flyover will put people back onto World Dr farther down and won't allow an easy way back to the MK parking. The U-turn is not going away.

halltd

The assumption is if people are staying at the Poly, they don't need to get to the Main Parking lots. If they do need to, they can use the current path down Floridian and utilize the U-turn into the parking area, which will then be prior to the plaza, not after. Same with Wilderness and Contemporary. The new Flyover will put people back onto World Dr farther down and won't allow an easy way back to the MK parking. The U-turn is not going away.
But if the intent of this new four lane "entrance" to WDW from Reams is to provide guest access to all the new development up there, how does all this new traffic access the MK? A u-turn doesn't seem at all appropriate if the vehicle demand is enough to justify this whole new entrance to property.

Disone

They may have an arrangement with RCID that they own/maintain the physical roads/ROW on WDP&R land, but if you look at parcel lines, you'll see that the main roads are on RCID land up to the parcel boundaries, and you can often see a difference in pavement at roughly where the parcel lines are. Everything from the toll plazas up to Reams all sit on WDP&R property. I'd have to take a look at the ROW provisions to be sure, of course.

All the roads at WDW are on private property owned by Disney and management by the RCID. The private property does not start at the toll plaza or resort security kiosk. IF a resort or theme park wants to add a lane or change a road, it must go through RCID to do that.

maxairmike

All the roads at WDW are on private property owned by Disney and management by the RCID. The private property does not start at the toll plaza or resort security kiosk. IF a resort or theme park wants to add a lane or change a road, it must go through RCID to do that.

Actually...not. Take a look at the Orange County Property Appraiser, or even the RCID website itself. The main roads are public roads, maintained and built by the District to benefit the business and residents of the District. That Disney is pretty much the only business/resident of the District doesn't matter, the District owns the land that the main roads sit on, not WDP&R.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm talking entirely about your first and second sentence. Your last sentence is basically correct. They go through RCID the same/similar way a private community goes through a county or city to have road improvements done within their community (see Happy Trails in Osceola County for an example). That doesn't mean the county owns that road through the private community, or the land it sits on. Now, the District/Disney relationship is a little different, but a similar idea is in place. For main road ownership (i.e. before the toll plazas and resort parcel lines), think of it like typical city/county and land owner relationships. The city/county owns the road and the land on either side of it for ROW, the land owners own everything on either side of the ROW. WDP&R owns the land on either side of the main roads and adjacent ROW, not the actual road and ROW itself.

Last edited:

Disone

Actually...not. Take a look at the Orange County Property Appraiser, or even the RCID website itself. The main roads are public roads, maintained and built by the District to benefit the business and residents of the District. That Disney is pretty much the only business/resident of the District doesn't matter, the District owns the land that the main roads sit on, not WDP&R.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm talking entirely about your first and second sentence. Your last sentence is basically correct. They go through RCID the same/similar way a private community goes through a county or city to have road improvements done within their community (see Happy Trails in Osceola County for an example). That doesn't mean the county owns that road through the private community, or the land it sits on. Now, the District/Disney relationship is a little different, but a similar idea is in place. For main road ownership (i.e. before the toll plazas and resort parcel lines), think of it like typical city/county and land owner relationships. The city/county owns the road and the land on either side of it for ROW, the land owners own everything on either side of the ROW. WDP&R owns the land on either side of the main roads and adjacent ROW, not the actual road and ROW itself.

We might be saying the same thing from different angles. My point was basically that all land at WDW is under the jurisdiction of RCID. However I can share some experiences that lend itself to the roads being more private then one might think..... I know you will see Sheriffs on property but even wonder why you almost never see FHP? With most non emergency auto accidents on a WDW road, FHP treats it as an accident on private property, and often refuse to come out because its technically on private property. That said I have seem then once, but it was very serious accident.

Orange county and Osceola Sheriffs operate on property at the invite of Disney. I am unsure if that invite officially comes from RCID or from WDP&R, but it came about 20 years ago. Before that the speed limit signs on property were merely suggestions. I miss those days:)

Great discussion though. Love when conflicting ideas can be shared with out it getting harsh! Back on topic, I suspect highly the world drive modifications surrounding the MK toll plaza are on RCID dime, not WDW's. Though really 90% or RCID tax income is provided by WDW. But my point is the budget is not coming from parks and resorts. It is was I am sure Bob Chepak would put a stop to it.

*Q*

If I understand the organizational relationship correctly, the idea that Disney "owns" RCID is a big misconception. RCID is an independent governmental entity. Disney just happens to be the only landowner within its boundaries, so they control who gets voted to the board of directors.

msteel

I was basing my conclusion that the U-turn was going away on this drawing. I interpreted the red areas as bridges, and the blue areas as grade level or ramps. The northbound flyover approach is blue at the point where it crosses the exiting U-turn, so I didn't see how the U-turn could stay. Maybe I misread things, because on one of the other drawings the U-turn is outlined in yellow.

26339826993_97e110bd60_o.jpg

mm121

I was basing my conclusion that the U-turn was going away on this drawing. I interpreted the red areas as bridges, and the blue areas as grade level or ramps. The northbound flyover approach is blue at the point where it crosses the exiting U-turn, so I didn't see how the U-turn could stay. Maybe I misread things, because on one of the other drawings the U-turn is outlined in yellow.

26339826993_97e110bd60_o.jpg
isnt this uturn one way that people can sneak into the parking lot without paying

if so that would explain why the uturn is being moved to before the toll plaza

though seems like there should be someway for people to go to the car care center and enter the parking lot without having to go back through the toll booths for a second time

Daveeeeed

Does anyone know if it is expected to still be a pain to get from the Shades of Green to TTC? We usually just walk from The Shades to Poly, or occasionally drive and then take the Monorail from there.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I just found the schedule for this project. First phase was scheduled to start on Jan 2, not sure if work has started yet are not. Completion date is 6/29/2018.

I believe it has. I have a picture or two on my phone from late January of some construction around the 'It's Tough To Be A Bug" sign on World Drive. I'll try to post one later.

Rteetz

I just found the schedule for this project. First phase was scheduled to start on Jan 2, not sure if work has started yet are not. Completion date is 6/29/2018.
There was definitely work in that area during the Marathon. I didn't take any pictures of it though.

Next Big Thing

While on the Monorail to Epcot the other day there was an extensive plot of land that had been completely deforested that looked like it was for this project.

The trees were all still lying on the ground and looked as if they had removed them carefully so they could be replanted.

JoeCamel

While on the Monorail to Epcot the other day there was an extensive plot of land that had been completely deforested that looked like it was for this project.

The trees were all still lying on the ground and looked as if they had removed them carefully so they could be replanted.

Pine trees?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom