News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

ElBendro

How come they can build a $20mil intersection in a year, but have this temporary diesel powered lamp post at the entrance of EPCOT for the past 30 years?

Probably because they got a federal grant for this project instead of having to pay out of their own pocket.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
How come they can build a $20mil intersection in a year, but have this temporary diesel powered lamp post at the entrance of EPCOT for the past 30 years?
I think that part of Epcot is operated by the transportation dept, which we know doesn't have two pennies to rub together.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 , do you have a picture of this lamp post for the discussion?
Thanks Seth

D636A95B-DBB5-440D-B3B0-ADC8E63532C1.jpeg

Dr.GrantSeeker

Photo Update as of Monday March 12, 2018. Photos are taken from your highway in the sky so I apologize if they are a little far away. Did not have my DSLR camera with me. First photo looks at the bridge that will take guests out of the MK resort area.

WDS Bridge 1.JPG

Second photo is the ramp that will allow guests to bypass the MK toll both and head straight to the resorts in the area.

WDN Bridge 1.JPG

Another angle of the bridge that heads north on World Drive

WDN Bridge 2.JPG

This is a picture of where Vista Blvd turns into a ramp that brings guests back onto World Drive heading north to the resorts.

VB to WD.JPG

Disone

Probably because they got a federal grant for this project instead of having to pay out of their own pocket.
Close. They are using RCID funds and Municipal bonds, no park revenue, to do all WDW infrastructure work. So the roads ways, parking garages, etc, are not coming out of Disney's pocket. That lighting at the entrance of the Epcot could likely fall under that but I bet it falling being the parks, which surely keep deferring the expense and yet too small off a need/project and it just not on RC radar.

cspencer96

Close. They are using RCID funds and Municipal bonds, no park revenue, to do all WDW infrastructure work. So the roads ways, parking garages, etc, are not coming out of Disney's pocket.
Except RCID’s funds come from its land-owning taxpayers, which by some magical coincidence, happen to be almost entirely the Walt Disney Company and its subsidiaries/affiliates. So in a way that works all too well, the RCID money is coming from a pocket that has money constantly put into it by Disney from their pockets. This same strategy has been in place from the very beginning, and it works out (mostly) in the general Floridian taxpayer’s favor.

Goofyernmost

Except RCID’s funds come from its land-owning taxpayers, which by some magical coincidence, happen to be almost entirely the Walt Disney Company and its subsidiaries/affiliates. So in a way that works all too well, the RCID money is coming from a pocket that has money constantly put into it by Disney from their pockets. This same strategy has been in place from the very beginning, and it works out (mostly) in the general Floridian taxpayer’s favor.
I don't know how it all works, but, really it seems to me that if the taxpayers in Florida, or anywhere else for that matter, were paying completely for any onsite, private property, highly profitable business infrastructure changes there would likely be a massive revolt. Whatever, Disney needs on their property, Disney can afford. It's like saying that taxpayers should pay for your driveway on your property. Now where the internal meets with public lands, like I-4 or 192, for example, then it might be in the best interest for public accesses from public highways be somewhat supplemented by taxpayers money. It might be a way to help the traffic flow to and from those locations and then be in the interest of the general public even if the general public never goes on WDW property.

My understanding, mostly by what I have been told by some, the RCID system that you refer to is the system they use to funnel money in and out of Disney. That municipality was set up as a separate entity in the very beginning and although still managed and operated by Disney is the organization that maintains all that stuff, water, sewage, (which must be a huge job in it self) taxing, collecting fees all the stuff that Disney would have to do if they were in some other area or municipality other then Reedy Creek (I believe it is known as the City's of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista ).

Disone

Yes. But not "except" Disney has to pay tax just either way. With RCID they are the largest and almost the only tax player. So they get the benefit equally was much. Its still the case that all these infrastructure projects are coming out of Reedy Creek pocket, not Disney's pocket. Disney has to pay the taxes either way. So there is no additional cost to Disney for these infrastructure projects.

peter11435

Yes. But not "except" Disney has to pay tax just either way. With RCID they are the largest and almost the only tax player. So they get the benefit equally was much. Its still the case that all these infrastructure projects are coming out of Reedy Creek pocket, not Disney's pocket. Disney has to pay the taxes either way. So there is no additional cost to Disney for these infrastructure projects.
Disney is paying taxes to more than just Reedy Creek.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom