News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

peter11435

However, the guard at the resort entrance will check to see if you have either a resort or dining reservation. And make you use valet parking if you don't. I was told to use valet parking at GF. When I pulled up, they told me I could park in the parking lot, which I did. Next thing, a Disney security guy was on a golf cart headed our way. I told him what valet told us. He said either we had to pay for valet parking or park somewhere else. So we left and parked at MK. We were going to meet some friends at GF to take the monorail to MK - they were staying at another resort and we thought it would be easier to park at GF rather than the madness that is All Stars....
Correct. The resort security booths should largely prevent people from parking at the resorts. But it still does happen. The bigger issue currently is people like I said telling the auto plaza attendant they are going to a MK resort and thus not being charged but then proceeding to the right into the MK lot anyway for free. This happened often with the old setup but will be mostly eliminated with the new format.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Correct. The resort security booths should largely prevent people from parking at the resorts. But it still does happen. The bigger issue currently is people like I said telling the auto plaza attendant they are going to a MK resort and thus not being charged but then proceeding to the right into the MK lot anyway for free. This happened often with the old setup but will be mostly eliminated with the new format.

More importantly, I won't risk getting side swiped by drivers who suddenly realize they need to be in the far right lane to get to their MK area resort once passing through the MK gate. I've watched drivers almost hit a Disney bus to get onto World Drive.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You already don't have to pay the $20 if you simply tell the cm at the auto plaza you are going to one of the resorts. Then you can simply head towards mk anyway.

Heck, I've had CMs wave me through the gate before I've had the chance to tell them I'm staying at a MK area resort. And last trip when I stopped to tell the booth person that, the driver behind me started laying on his horn. :mad:

Disone

However, the guard at the resort entrance will check to see if you have either a resort or dining reservation. And make you use valet parking if you don't. I was told to use valet parking at GF. When I pulled up, they told me I could park in the parking lot, which I did. Next thing, a Disney security guy was on a golf cart headed our way. I told him what valet told us. He said either we had to pay for valet parking or park somewhere else. So we left and parked at MK. We were going to meet some friends at GF to take the monorail to MK - they were staying at another resort and we thought it would be easier to park at GF rather than the madness that is All Stars....
you were already there, why not just pay the parking fee instead of driving all the way back to MK parking and pay the fee there. Also, there is no paying for parking in any of the resorts self parking lots. The security host was mistake, or overstep.

LAKid53

Premium Member
you were already there, why not just pay the parking fee instead of driving all the way back to MK parking and pay the fee there. Also, there is no paying for parking in any of the resorts self parking lots. The security host was mistake, or overstep.

I'm an AP, so parking at MK was free. I was concerned if I just walked away, my car might not be in the GF parking lot when we returned hours later.

ABQ

I was staying on resort last weekend, the new bypass was consistently bogged with traffic. It's especially busy because buses currently use it to reach Magic Kingdom. I hope this improves.
This is what I was worried about. If it's creating a longer delay, especially with all the buses, it's rather disappointing.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, December 19, 2017. Progress on the World Drive overpass. The overpass beams have been installed on the north part of the overpass. Vehicles continuing to the Magic Kingdom resorts now pass under the new overpass.

This photo taken past the parking kiosk, on the road to Magic Kingdom parking lots (the original road).

IMG_0016.JPG

The below photo taken on the road exiting Magic Kingdom parking lots, looking east towards the overpass.

IMG_0026.JPG

LAKid53

Premium Member
No photos (sorry :() but just a minor update that they’ve reconfigured the turn from Vista Drive onto World Drive northbound within the last week for so. Instead of making a right merge, you now go straight around a sort of S shaped bend around the median. I know that makes zero sense unless you see it lol. I’ll try and get some pictures tomorrow

I know they've split the portion of World Drive that's access to MK resorts from the MK parking booths, but I'm trying to figure out what else they've done. I'll be there in less than a month for the Princess Half and don't want another surprise like I had a few weeks ago. Got in my usual lane next to the bus lanes to go to WL and well, I had to make that loop around. Must not be the only one who's done that, as they now have a cut through on the median with a sign saying Magic Kingdom resorts. Like the new separation. Now I don't have to worry about getting side swiped because some fool realized he needed to move all the way over to the right to get back on World Drive for the resorts.

Disone

No photos (sorry :() but just a minor update that they’ve reconfigured the turn from Vista Drive onto World Drive northbound within the last week for so. Instead of making a right merge, you now go straight around a sort of S shaped bend around the median. I know that makes zero sense unless you see it lol. I’ll try and get some pictures tomorrow
That new route has been open for a couple of weeks now. I like it. They also now have 2 left hand turn Lanes at that intersection or Vista Drive meets the new world drive off ramp. This allows traffic that's continuing North on world drive towards Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary to flow much better than when they originally open this ramp with only one lane.

msteel

Bummer...
The "map" and "satellite" portions of Google Maps now disagree - It seems to me the "map" has been updated if that helps you.

This intersection is well within the Federal no fly zone, so likely not.
I guess that would probably limit the helicopter tour method, but don't forget @photoflight took MK pictures all the time by flying at high altitude above the TFR. Not that road construction would be interesting enough to warrant that.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday January 27, 2018. The below photo is the original road after the Magic Kingdom parking kiosks to the parking lot. The new road on the right (under the overpass) travels to the Magic Kingdom resorts, from a new traffic light at an intersection behind the camera.

IMG_0111.JPG

The below photo is the exit road from the Magic Kingdom parking lots, with a new overpass being built. The road in the foreground is the entrance road to the Magic Kingdom parking kiosks.

IMG_0113.JPG

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom