News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

The Visionary Soul

The bypass for the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza has opened. All traffic heading to any of the Magic Kingdom Resorts now diverts off of World Dr. towards the right of the Toll Plaza, under the Epcot Monorail track, and hits a stoplight at Vista Blvd. Most traffic will turn left at this intersection to continue North on to World Dr. via West Vista Blvd. Although only one lane currently makes it through the left turn, eventually two lanes will connect on to the northern section of World Dr.

The old stoplight that was previously just north of the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza has been eliminated and a temporary construction stoplight has been erected at the intersection of the new ramp off of World Drive and Vista Dr. until a permanent one can be built.

Additionally, the only places accessible now once you drive through the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza are the Magic Kingdom Parking Lot and the Speedway Station / Car Care Center.

Google Maps has been updated with the new roads, which you can see here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3924193,-81.5705436,17.32z

peter11435

The bypass for the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza has opened. All traffic heading to any of the Magic Kingdom Resorts now diverts off of World Dr. towards the right of the Toll Plaza, under the Epcot Monorail track, and hits a stoplight at Vista Blvd. Most traffic will turn left at this intersection to continue North on to World Dr. via West Vista Blvd. Although only one lane currently makes it through the left turn, eventually two lanes will connect on to the northern section of World Dr.

The old stoplight that was previously just north of the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza has been eliminated and a temporary construction stoplight has been erected at the intersection of the new ramp off of World Drive and Vista Dr. until a permanent one can be built.

Additionally, the only places accessible now once you drive through the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza are the Magic Kingdom Parking Lot and the Speedway Station / Car Care Center.

Google Maps has been updated with the new roads, which you can see here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3924193,-81.5705436,17.32z
Are you sure they will install a permanent stop light at the intersection of the new ramp and vista drive? The plans appear to Indicate that this will ultimately be left turn only merging onto vista drive eastboud as MK resort are traffic will be using the new flyover on the west side of World Drive.

I suppose a stop light even for just a left turn might be the safest option.

The Visionary Soul

Are you sure they will install a permanent stop light at the intersection of the new ramp and vista drive? The plans appear to Indicate that this will ultimately be left turn only merging onto vista drive eastboud as MK resort are traffic will be using the new flyover on the west side of World Drive.

I suppose a stop light even for just a left turn might be the safest option.
Yes, I am sure. They want to retain access to the campground from the rest of the Magic Kingdom Resort Area.

peter11435

Yes, I am sure. They want to retain access to the campground from the rest of the Magic Kingdom Resort Area.
A stop light at that intersection is not necessary to retain fort wilderness access. Southbound traffic on north world drive will be able to loop around under the new overpass and join eastbound vista drive towards the campground.

The Visionary Soul

A stop light at that intersection is not necessary to retain fort wilderness access. Southbound traffic on north world drive will be able to loop around under the new overpass and join eastbound vista drive towards the campground.
There’s no overpass that I see being built on the east, only on the west.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

You are correct

upload_2017-11-20_20-48-18.png

GlacierGlacier

I was staying on resort last weekend, the new bypass was consistently bogged with traffic. It's especially busy because buses currently use it to reach Magic Kingdom. I hope this improves.

Cosmic Commando

I'm glad the ramp to Vista Blvd is not the final solution. It seemed like it was always clogged up with left-turning traffic so much that waiting to turn right took longer than going through the MK toll booths used to doing to same.

peter11435

I was staying on resort last weekend, the new bypass was consistently bogged with traffic. It's especially busy because buses currently use it to reach Magic Kingdom. I hope this improves.
When it's all done buses and other MK resort area traffic will not use the new ramp. Basically only traffic heading to the campground will use it.

RSoxNo1

When it's all done buses and other MK resort area traffic will not use the new ramp. Basically only traffic heading to the campground will use it.
OK, so the new right exit will be for the campgrounds, the existing gateway will be the road that leads to the other resorts, and a new gateway is under construction to the left of the existing gateway?

peter11435

OK, so the new right exit will be for the campgrounds, the existing gateway will be the road that leads to the other resorts, and a new gateway is under construction to the left of the existing gateway?
Not exactly. The new right exit will be for the campground. There will be a new ramp on the left side that will lead to an overpass over the MK lot access road that will lead to the other resorts. The current auto plaza and MK lot access road should remain virtually as is.

RSoxNo1

Not exactly. The new right exit will be for the campground. There will be a new ramp on the left side that will lead to an overpass over the MK lot access road that will lead to the other resorts. The current auto plaza and MK lot access road should remain virtually as is.
Gotcha, so the left exit will be for the non Campgrounds resorts.

RSoxNo1

I wonder how they will stop people from bypassing the MK gates and parking at one of the resorts for free. It's a problem now without the incentive of saving $20, I can't imagine that problem will go away without an additional change.

peter11435

I wonder how they will stop people from bypassing the MK gates and parking at one of the resorts for free. It's a problem now without the incentive of saving $20, I can't imagine that problem will go away without an additional change.
You already don't have to pay the $20 if you simply tell the cm at the auto plaza you are going to one of the resorts. Then you can simply head towards mk anyway.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You already don't have to pay the $20 if you simply tell the cm at the auto plaza you are going to one of the resorts. Then you can simply head towards mk anyway.

However, the guard at the resort entrance will check to see if you have either a resort or dining reservation. And make you use valet parking if you don't. I was told to use valet parking at GF. When I pulled up, they told me I could park in the parking lot, which I did. Next thing, a Disney security guy was on a golf cart headed our way. I told him what valet told us. He said either we had to pay for valet parking or park somewhere else. So we left and parked at MK. We were going to meet some friends at GF to take the monorail to MK - they were staying at another resort and we thought it would be easier to park at GF rather than the madness that is All Stars....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom