Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

flynnibus

Premium Member
Personally, I think it's biggest flaw is that they didn't utilize Tony Baxter, Tom Morris (to my knowledge), and the many other Imagineers who worked for Disney in the '70s-'90s and understand the park, brand, and theme park design better than anyone.

These are literally the biggest projects in Disney's portfolio... you think the likes of Kathy Magnum and others weren't involved at all during their time?

You can't keep holding out for the old guard... they age out and retire, etc. They've had decades to train the next phase of talent as well. The second generation of imagineers has all pretty much aged out or tapped out. The big coup here is the tapping of Towbridge as the lead.

SuddenStorm

These are literally the biggest projects in Disney's portfolio... you think the likes of Kathy Magnum and others weren't involved at all during their time?

You can't keep holding out for the old guard... they age out and retire, etc. They've had decades to train the next phase of talent as well. The second generation of imagineers has all pretty much aged out or tapped out. The big coup here is the tapping of Towbridge as the lead.

Okay... Then the new guard should have looked at what the second generation imagineers did and learned why what they did to Disneyland worked so well prior to starting this project.

lazyboy97o

That you go to Magnum is rather telling. Her background was more project management than creative. Her biggest project, Cars Land, had a lot of uncredited help from Tom Morris. This was followed by Toy Story Land and her retirement.

180º

That you go to Magnum is rather telling. Her background was more project management than creative. Her biggest project, Cars Land, had a lot of uncredited help from Tom Morris. This was followed by Toy Story Land and her retirement.
*Mangum. As in a man and gum, not Magnum as in Magnum P.I.

Interesting conversation! Reminds me to ask, what do we know about Trowbridge’s portfolio, exactly?

flynnibus

Premium Member

But she was a constant in dl’s Execution and exposure to the old guard. You don’t need to be as creative to stay the course... as the poster claimed disney has somehow forgotten here

SuddenStorm

Perhaps Galaxy's Edge biggest slight on Disneyland Park?

Not the land itself, but the ripple effect of alterations it caused throughout the rest of the park.

The loss of curbs around the hub. The loss of a charming Adventureland sign for one that's sparse and lightly themed (unless they've added to it since the last photo I saw). The loss of planters throughout New Orleans Square, especially the charming brick planter outside the Haunted Mansion.

I also don't think Fantasmic would have been bastardized if they hadn't closed the river for the extended amount of time.

The addition of a new incredibly mediocre train narration.

The literal loss of Disneyland history with the destruction of the Fantasyland Skyway station and many remaining Mine Train elements.

And while many praise the new ROA (and I certainly don't hate it), to me it feels lifeless and artificial. It also doesn't seem as secluded, or like the untamed wilderness like the old Rivers did. Not my biggest complaint, but still something I think needs a bit more life, and I hate that it's 1/3 shorter.

And now that crowds have failed to materialize, despite Iger's 'I'll just tweet that it's open and they'll come' comments, many of these changes seem somewhat unnecessary and overblown.

It seems modern WDI can't do anything right without either ruining something else, or not executing as well as it could've been. Look at Pirates- the nailed the new cave transition by adding a new, charming effect and restoring the old narration- but they absolutely butchered the new auction scene. I get it, they wanted it changed- but to think that what's there is the best they could've done is absurd. Or, the new effects on the dioramas being offset by a generic and awful narration.

Galaxy's Edge is a land of overblown expectations directly caused by years of false advertising, and is now plagued with a whole bunch of 'it's good, but not amazing' reviews.

Have any other old time Imagineers spoken publicly about Galaxy's Edge? Bob Gurr is the only one I've heard- but I'd love to know what Tony Baxter, Tom Morris, and the many other Imagineers who did work for Disneyland in the glory years have to think of the land.

SuddenStorm

People have short memories... go back to the 90s and early 2000s to talk about 'big slights' on the the park.

I'm well aware of the many many slights on Disneyland that took place at the turn of the century... but why is that at all relevant to what's happening now? Just because Disneyland has seen worse times than it has now doesn't justify mistakes made today.

mickEblu

Perhaps Galaxy's Edge biggest slight on Disneyland Park?

Not the land itself, but the ripple effect of alterations it caused throughout the rest of the park.

The loss of curbs around the hub. The loss of a charming Adventureland sign for one that's sparse and lightly themed (unless they've added to it since the last photo I saw). The loss of planters throughout New Orleans Square, especially the charming brick planter outside the Haunted Mansion.

I also don't think Fantasmic would have been bastardized if they hadn't closed the river for the extended amount of time.

The addition of a new incredibly mediocre train narration.

The literal loss of Disneyland history with the destruction of the Fantasyland Skyway station and many remaining Mine Train elements.

And while many praise the new ROA (and I certainly don't hate it), to me it feels lifeless and artificial. It also doesn't seem as secluded, or like the untamed wilderness like the old Rivers did. Not my biggest complaint, but still something I think needs a bit more life, and I hate that it's 1/3 shorter.

And now that crowds have failed to materialize, despite Iger's 'I'll just tweet that it's open and they'll come' comments, many of these changes seem somewhat unnecessary and overblown.

It seems modern WDI can't do anything right without either ruining something else, or not executing as well as it could've been. Look at Pirates- the nailed the new cave transition by adding a new, charming effect and restoring the old narration- but they absolutely butchered the new auction scene. I get it, they wanted it changed- but to think that what's there is the best they could've done is absurd. Or, the new effects on the dioramas being offset by a generic and awful narration.

Galaxy's Edge is a land of overblown expectations directly caused by years of false advertising, and is now plagued with a whole bunch of 'it's good, but not amazing' reviews.

Have any other old time Imagineers spoken publicly about Galaxy's Edge? Bob Gurr is the only one I've heard- but I'd love to know what Tony Baxter, Tom Morris, and the many other Imagineers who did work for Disneyland in the glory years have to think of the land.

You forgot the Dumbo Wall. And the Frontierland/ Adventureland side passageway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom