Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Mac Tonight

These boards sometimes...

giphy.gif

fctiger

Superstar Limo is just a delicious slice of kitsch pie.

The Guardians hate on this forum is clearly exaggerated and simply not believable. It's a popular well-liked attraction and no one's leaving roses out front for the Tower of Terror.

Well people here can certainly hate the ride, but they are clearly in the minority judging by the reaction of it in the real world. I don't know a single person in real life who hates it. I think some may agree they miss TOT but GOTG is clearly a huge hit, probably more than even the hardcore skeptics thought. I remember watching Mr. Cheezy Pop videos and he was totally against it for a long time....until he rode it.

Of course I still have my other issues with it like the exterior is still ugly as hell to me. Two years on and I still hate it. And it still doesn't remotely fit in the land its currently in. But luckily that will (somewhat) be resolved in a year or so once Marvel land officially opens. But the hate for the ride itself seems to be minimum and quite the opposite. Its clearly a very popular ride and probably the younger you are the more you like it if you never had any attachment to the Twilight Zone show but obviously love Groot and the gang.

fctiger

I too listen to someone named 'cheezy pop' for my theme park critiques :rolleyes:

Yes, just like I listen to everyone's opinions and their corny names here lol. Dude no one said you had to agree with him or me, I was just making the point the ride did change a lot of people's minds who were originally against it, including my own. But if you still hate it, great, you do you.

mickEblu

Well people here can certainly hate the ride, but they are clearly in the minority judging by the reaction of it in the real world. I don't know a single person in real life who hates it. I think some may agree they miss TOT but GOTG is clearly a huge hit, probably more than even the hardcore skeptics thought. I remember watching Mr. Cheezy Pop videos and he was totally against it for a long time....until he rode it.

Of course I still have my other issues with it like the exterior is still ugly as hell to me. Two years on and I still hate it. And it still doesn't remotely fit in the land its currently in. But luckily that will (somewhat) be resolved in a year or so once Marvel land officially opens. But the hate for the ride itself seems to be minimum and quite the opposite. Its clearly a very popular ride and probably the younger you are the more you like it if you never had any attachment to the Twilight Zone show but obviously love Groot and the gang.

What reaction? It averages 45 minute wait times which TOT was almost averaging after 13 years. Were people not going to still come off that ride laughing with smiles on their faces? It’s still one of the, if not the most thrilling ride at DLR.

Peoples attachment to Tower of Terror had more to do with the old Hollywood haunted hotel theme and less to do with Twilight Zone.

SuddenStorm

Yes, just like I listen to everyone's opinions and their corny names here lol. Dude no one said you had to agree with him or me, I was just making the point the ride did change a lot of people's minds who were originally against it, including my own. But if you still hate it, great, you do you.

Yeesh man, calm down.

For the record, I'm not as against Mission: OVERLAY as others here. It has a lot going for it, and Tony Baxter- a man who's opinion is far more valid and educated than my own- has been vocally in favor of the overlay.

Once you're on the ride, it's great fun (though the same was true for Tower), but I have issues with the queue- I think it could be greatly improved.

But as I've said before, it's biggest offense is that it's brightly visible from Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, especially at night.

mickEblu

Yeah, him and Justin Scarred are a little too over the top for my tastes. Knowledgeable dudes, but there's just a little too much pixie dust being ingested there.

Justin Scarred grew on me. He’s knowledgeable and has good editing skills. With that said I rarely watch his vlogs or any vlogs for that matter

I wouldn’t know if Cheesy Pop is knowledgeable because I can’t get through more than 20 seconds.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
What reaction? It averages 45 minute wait times which TOT was almost averaging after 13 years. Were people not going to still come off that ride laughing with smiles on their faces? It’s still one of the, if not the most thrilling ride at DLR.

Peoples attachment to Tower of Terror had more to do with the old Hollywood haunted hotel theme and less to do with Twilight Zone.

Who doesn't like Warehouse Fortress Power Plants in the middle of Hollywood Land? Or even a roller-coaster about chasing a baby, for that matter.

SuddenStorm

So yeah, how about that 'Galaxy's Edge', folks?
;)

Still wishing it was 'Discovery Bay' instead.

-

Yep... it's amazing how accurate TP2000's 'New Era' post is. Galaxy's Edge in a way marks the end of the 'classic Disneyland' style of project.

Personally, I think it's biggest flaw is that they didn't utilize Tony Baxter, Tom Morris (to my knowledge), and the many other Imagineers who worked for Disney in the '70s-'90s and understand the park, brand, and theme park design better than anyone.

That's part of how we ended up with a Galaxy's Edge that not only doesn't feel like Disneyland, but also utilizes space poorly and relies on low capacity attractions. I also imagine much of the 'role playing' would have been scaled back (more than it already has been) or heavily altered to work in the context of Disneyland. I'm all for utilizing new talent and talent from outside sources- but to not utilize the generational knowledge that's available to them is incredibly short sighted on Disney's part.

fctiger

TOT rarely got more than that even in the summer season. GOTG easily gets over an hour wait when the park is busy. And again, no one is saying people suddenly hate TOT lol, only that they enjoy GOTG just as much. Its not an either/or, people can actually enjoy both which the main argument BEFORE GOTG opened that it was going to be a big dud. That clearly didn't happen.

I get people here liked TOT, me included. I still miss it to this day and I completely agree with you about the theming, which I implied in my OP. That's the best thing TOT had going for it and why I still miss it. But GOTG is a really fun ride and probably a much bigger crowd pleaser out there to a lot of people, especially if you're younger.

SuddenStorm

Justin Scarred grew on me. He’s knowledgeable and has good editing skills. With that said I rarely watch his vlogs or any vlogs for that matter

I wouldn’t know if Cheesy Pop is knowledgeable because I can’t get through more than 20 seconds.

I do enjoy some of Justin's historical videos- when I was just getting into Disneyland history beyond just a cursory interest in 2014 or so, his Mine Train video was excellent and very informative. He has some other videos that highlight other little historical bits throughout the park that are actually quite enjoyable.

His shtick is a little difficult to watch, but the content is there- and that's WAY better than some other Vloggers. I also respect that he films most of his own footage, and also uses his own historical photos. Other Vloggers like Offhand just read wiki articles over a medley of other people's footage and have the audacity to create a patreon for their 'work'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom