Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Saw some Tomorrowland hate. Tomorrowland at DL is pretty much of a lost cause, but the WDW MK version is actually worth going into for the Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress and rockets high up in the air. I look forward to that stuff, whereas I completely avoid DL's TL unless I'm on the train.

You enjoy Autopia, no?

Mike S

I am over Frozen being milked, I am not over it being executed properly. I realize the new musical is coming (that's what I'd qualify as something potentially being well executed). Generally they are clearing it out though. It'll be gone from Muppets soon, it has backed off of Fantasy Faire and WoC: Celebrate is nearing the end.

Until Frozen hits the same level of saturation as Mermaid (it's no where close), I think it's funny that people complain about it so much.

Beauty and the Beast would be the other part of the puzzle. Hopefully sans Enchanted tails and with an actual attraction.

I think DL will pretty much get what Joe is working on at Tokyo, minus the Alice stuff and moving Small World.

Joe Lanzisero was lead on Mystic Manor... enough said.
giphy.gif

Rich T

When the kinetics are going on at the same time (driving under or past the moving Monorail and seeing the bobsleds zoom through the Matterhorn), Autopia is a real treat, in my opinion. The last time I went on, the fireworks were going off at the time. It was great.
It was amazing when the Peoplemover, Motorboats and the separate, 2nd Autopia were intertwined in all that, too.

George Lucas on a Bench

You enjoy Autopia, no?

I do, but I rarely go on it.

I stupidly entered Disneyland during the LED parade last night. They tried to force me to go through Tomorrowland, which is a trap since you're stuck there until the thing is over unless you manage to cross or go to the Matterhorn. I immediately turned around at the giant french fry rocks and waited. It was awful.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I do, but I rarely go on it.

I stupidly entered Disneyland during the LED parade last night. They tried to force me to go through Tomorrowland, which is a trap since you're stuck there until the thing is over unless you manage to cross or go to the Matterhorn. I immediately turned around at the giant french fry rocks and waited. It was awful.

Tomorrowland is the worst place to be in during one of the parades. It's the worst place to be in in general haha.

Omnispace

Unless you've been living under a rock, you know an entire land themed to George Lucas' Star Wars franchise is coming to Disneyland in a few years, as well has Hollywood Studios in Florida. While I'm not against Star Wars Land in general, and I'm happy for Florida, to say I'm livid about this entire land themed to Star Wars coming to Walt Disney's original park is an understatement.

Not only will this be the first time a land dedicated to one franchise will be introduced to the park (no, Toontown doesn't count), but the franchise itself simply does not jive and connect with the rest of the park. I look at the original lands, and even the ones added later, like New Orleans Square and Critter Country, and compare them to Star Wars, and a huge question mark hovers over my head. It makes no sense to me whatsoever, and it never will..........

I like the way you have approached this topic. I pretty much agree that this is one of the most ridiculous ideas I have ever heard of happening at Disneyland. Aside from the argument of fundamentally altering Walt's park, the Star Wars area is simply going to be this bizarro alternate universe behind Frontierland. One is going to be strolling the wooded trail past Big Thunder and happen upon a Star Wars themed scene??

I have often maintained that the conflict nature of the Star Wars sagas make the property is less desirable as a theme park environment as the majority of production was centered around creating forbidding and inhospitable locales for the drama to play out. About the only two places I would have wanted to visit in the Star Wars universe are Naboo, and Endor, (which I can visit in person if I just drive up the coast a bit). I realize that audiences are drawn to the excitement of the action and the appeal of the characters but that's only half of the equation. My worries are that a Star Wars land is going to end up being as depressing as 1998 Tomorrowland.

In a way, I had always hoped that Frontierland would have received a new frontier-themed dark ride attraction to expand the offerings. An updated version of the Western River Expedition would have been a great fit for the area. I suppose if the Star Wars franchise falls into disfavor they can always remake the area into a somewhat unusual mining camp. o_O

Omnispace

Nice idea but it won't happen...

There are just too many Star Wars fans that would be thrilled with nothing more than a mannequin dressed up at a wookie handing out 5% off coupons for fake Star Wars meals...

Believe me -- I once wandered across a Star Wars convention in Indianapolis. My first clue was Sand People hanging out in the Hyatt Regency lobby, (always a bad sign). Once I reached the epicenter of the spectacle I was completely blown away by the fervor of it all. I don't think that Disney realizes the culture clash they are creating. The pin lanyard pixie dusters don't stand a chance against Sand People!

Rich T

I have often maintained that the conflict nature of the Star Wars sagas make the property is less desirable as a theme park environment as the majority of production was centered around creating forbidding and inhospitable locales for the drama to play out...My worries are that a Star Wars land is going to end up being as depressing as 1998 Tomorrowland.

In a way, I had always hoped that Frontierland would have received a new frontier-themed dark ride attraction to expand the offerings. An updated version of the Western River Expedition would have been a great fit for the area. I suppose if the Star Wars franchise falls into disfavor they can always remake the area into a somewhat unusual mining camp. o_O
I see your point, but I'm going for the optimistic view: Star Wars has always been popular (at least the theatrical films) because there's plenty of humor, color and energy to the proceedings-- plus an invigorating implication of all the possibilities for different life forms and cultures "out there." The stories focus on the conflicts--because that's what fiction does--but the SW galaxy itself is packed with wonderful everyday characters that would be great fun to meet in a park environment. I really think the Imagineers have discussed that same concern you have at length and will ensure that the land is inviting and a bit edgy without being too dark. The darkness will happen on the rides.

I've posted this before, but look at Frontierland and Fantasyland. They could have been depressing. The Old West was a violent, dirty place full of tragedy and death, but that's not what Disney focused on. Fantasyland--Think about it. Pinocchio's village is full of kidnappers and murderers. Wonderland's full of insane people. There are killers and monsters lurking everywhere in fairy tales and peasants live lives of literal crap, but--Yay for the royal couples, I guess? It's all in how you interpret the source material.

Don't get me wrong, I would still LOVE to see a version of Western River Expedition become reality. And, though Star Wars will probably "fall into disfavor" about the time fairy tales disappear from the planet... They could easily turn Star Wars Land into Discovery Bay. Won't happen, but they could. :)

Star Wars Land isn't a stupid idea; It's going to make Disneyland more popular and timely than ever. Long time fans (myself included) are naturally apprehensive about major changes to a creation we love so much. But the upcoming generations of DL fans are going to embrace this change and, to them, it will be as classic and natural-seeming as a castle at the end of Main St. seems to us. Once this opens (and the inevitable kinks are worked out), all the complaints and objections will be forgotten. I'm sorry to lose a bit of the river, and I'm sorry we aren't going to see Frontierland expand. But I have high hopes that SWL is going to bring a tidal wave of color, life and excitement to that previously-off-limits area.

Rich T

While I can't see it being part of Disneyland I am intrigued by the "you get to fly the Millennium Falcon" idea and with 10's of thousands of visitors I really want to see how they pull that off without lines stretching out the park and down to Katella Ave.

They'd probably *love* a line stretching out of the park--Makes headlines. I *can't wait* for more details on this one. Wouldn't it suck to find out it was just a VR headset experience? I sure hope it's much more than that. A slightly gentler Mission Space, maybe?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I like the way you have approached this topic. I pretty much agree that this is one of the most ridiculous ideas I have ever heard of happening at Disneyland. Aside from the argument of fundamentally altering Walt's park, the Star Wars area is simply going to be this bizarro alternate universe behind Frontierland. One is going to be strolling the wooded trail past Big Thunder and happen upon a Star Wars themed scene??

I have often maintained that the conflict nature of the Star Wars sagas make the property is less desirable as a theme park environment as the majority of production was centered around creating forbidding and inhospitable locales for the drama to play out. About the only two places I would have wanted to visit in the Star Wars universe are Naboo, and Endor, (which I can visit in person if I just drive up the coast a bit). I realize that audiences are drawn to the excitement of the action and the appeal of the characters but that's only half of the equation. My worries are that a Star Wars land is going to end up being as depressing as 1998 Tomorrowland.

Unfortunately, the clueless fans/guests will eat it up.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
About the only two places I would have wanted to visit in the Star Wars universe are Naboo, and Endor, (which I can visit in person if I just drive up the coast a bit).
This is a far too limited view of the scope and scale of what they're trying to accomplish. You're describing the only two places in the Star Wars FILMS that you would want to visit. The Star Wars UNIVERSE is much more vast than what you're familiar with if your knowledge of that world is confined to Episodes I through VII.

As to the rest of your post, which I omitted to shorten the quote, I think you're focusing far too much on plot and not enough on world building. If I understand the vision correctly, the goal of Star Wars land is not to take you into the plot of the films, but to transport you to that world. Likewise, the DAK expansion isn't about showing you the plot of the movie Avatar, it's about taking you into the world of Pandora.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom