Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

CaptainAmerica

Lets hope its true.. because I'm pretty tired of the 'lets replay the movie' version of Disney attractions.. looking at you Mr Nemo, Ariel, etc.
I think there's a substantive difference between the narrative of a single ride and the narrative of an entire land. Sure, Mermaid is basically a retelling of the plot of the movie, but you can make the same argument about many (most? all?) of the classic dark rides. It's not like New Fantasyland was about the plot of some movie.

VJ

I love this (for real). But for quite some time now, the upcoming generations of Disneyland fans have viewed the park as Disney (the media giant) land, not DIsney (the real person) land. It's inevitable, and the newer fans who want to know about the park's origins do their research and find out who Walt Disney was (some of them are in these forums). But for the majority of Disneyland or WDW visitors--they just come for quality escapism and couldn't care less who created it. And we all know Walt Disney the public figure was a team creation, combining his personal interests and gut instincts with the talents of the people he drew into his orbit. The man was a genius, but he did not invent Grimm's fairy tales. He adapted things that existed and made them relate-able, inspiring and incredibly entertaining. He was not adverse to bringing non-Disney creations or random sponsors into the park if he thought it would work or help the park financially. He hired a Circus to perform. He created spectacular Corporate plugs for the World's Fair, and then brought them into Disneyland. Dinosaurs made no sense on the Railroad, but he put them there because they were fun. Imagineers did not create Skyway. Walt Disney was very open-minded about his park. If it was fun, he'd do it. No one can say for certain what he would have done in today's situation, but when it comes to collaborating with some of the most talented storytellers on the planet? For a sure-fire home run mega-hit that would fund his future projects? I think it's possible he would have negotiated and built Star Wars Land thirty-five years ago.
[EDIT]...And he would have worked with Lucas to get the prequels made sooner and would have stopped them from sucking.
This post is amazing. My opinion summed up better than I ever could. Thank you, Rich.

Mike S

This is a far too limited view of the scope and scale of what they're trying to accomplish. You're describing the only two places in the Star Wars FILMS that you would want to visit. The Star Wars UNIVERSE is much more vast than what you're familiar with if your knowledge of that world is confined to Episodes I through VII.

As to the rest of your post, which I omitted to shorten the quote, I think you're focusing far too much on plot and not enough on world building. If I understand the vision correctly, the goal of Star Wars land is not to take you into the plot of the films, but to transport you to that world. Likewise, the DAK expansion isn't about showing you the plot of the movie Avatar, it's about taking you into the world of Pandora.
I agree. Nothing we've seen so far of SWL makes it look "depressing" and I'm very excited for it.

In Hollywood Studios :p

Omnispace

This is a far too limited view of the scope and scale of what they're trying to accomplish. You're describing the only two places in the Star Wars FILMS that you would want to visit. The Star Wars UNIVERSE is much more vast than what you're familiar with if your knowledge of that world is confined to Episodes I through VII.

As to the rest of your post, which I omitted to shorten the quote, I think you're focusing far too much on plot and not enough on world building. If I understand the vision correctly, the goal of Star Wars land is not to take you into the plot of the films, but to transport you to that world. Likewise, the DAK expansion isn't about showing you the plot of the movie Avatar, it's about taking you into the world of Pandora.

You are right that there is much more, but I was referring to the FILMS and it's a valid viewpoint to take as most of the public are going to be using that as their reference. One can't expect that guests are going to be familiar with all the additional fiction created around Star Wars unless they are a die-hard fan.

Plot has everything to do with the tone of the environment in a fictional space as that sets the mood for the action to take place. It's an aspect of visual storytelling and creates the "world" you keep mentioning. Star Wars is designed to be dark and moody and haphazard because that sets the tone for the conflict.

I agree. Nothing we've seen so far of SWL makes it look "depressing" and I'm very excited for it.

I was excited about 1998 Tomorrowland. It looked fantastic in the renderings which were painted by a very talented artist. What I assume most at Disney failed to realize is that that artist added highlights to all of the dark browns and copper to bring life to his rendering and all those dark muted colors in reality made the land look depressing. What looks to be a gleaming kinetic sculpture (that used to be the old rocket jets) looked like a rusted hulk in the So Cal sun. When I look at the renderings of the Star Wars land I see tall forms that resemble dead trees, cables strung between patchwork structures and the same muted color scheme as the '98 Tomorrowland. It has the character of a haphazard, temporary camp. It fits Star Wars but that's not exactly an inviting alien world.

Renderings Link >>>>

42b58eaabf5d12bf37c6077dbc2ee826.jpg

3300.jpg

Mike S

You are right that there is much more, but I was referring to the FILMS and it's a valid viewpoint to take as most of the public are going to be using that as their reference. One can't expect that guests are going to be familiar with all the additional fiction created around Star Wars unless they are a die-hard fan.

Plot has everything to do with the tone of the environment in a fictional space as that sets the mood for the action to take place. It's an aspect of visual storytelling and creates the "world" you keep mentioning. Star Wars is designed to be dark and moody and haphazard because that sets the tone for the conflict.

I was excited about 1998 Tomorrowland. It looked fantastic in the renderings which were painted by a very talented artist. What I assume most at Disney failed to realize is that that artist added highlights to all of the dark browns and copper to bring life to his rendering and all those dark muted colors in reality made the land look depressing. What looks to be a gleaming kinetic sculpture (that used to be the old rocket jets) looked like a rusted hulk in the So Cal sun. When I look at the renderings of the Star Wars land I see tall forms that resemble dead trees, cables strung between patchwork structures and the same muted color scheme as the '98 Tomorrowland. It has the character of a haphazard, temporary camp. It fits Star Wars but that's not exactly an inviting alien world.

Renderings Link >>>>

42b58eaabf5d12bf37c6077dbc2ee826.jpg

3300.jpg
I don't remember seeing any of those blues in your Tomorrowland when I was there. They would've made a nice difference. Then again I didn't spend much time there during the day mostly at night.

D

Deleted member 107043

Why are we comparing SW Land to Tomorrowland '98? Discoveyland maaaaaybe.

The point of view of any iteration of Tomorrowland across the Disney Park portfolio is completely different than SW Land, and this is something that should be obvious. For one thing the details are far more meticulous in SW Land and don't pay lip service to the theme, which is what TL has mostly done since its debut. If anything SW Land appears to be more organic and evocative of something you'd expect to see in Animal Kingdom than the hard edges and dull brassy finishes that were prominent in TL '98.

Rich T

Star Wars is designed to be dark and moody and haphazard because that sets the tone for the conflict....I was excited about 1998 Tomorrowland...

This is going to be a place where families have their pictures taken with stormtroopers while eating wookkie cookies. I truly think the reason it's designed as a never-before-seen frontier outpost is so they have the freedom to do whatever it takes to make it work as a fun theme park environment. The dark stuff will be on the rides.

Star Wars Land will not suffer the budget cuts that doomed the Tomorrowland redo (thanks, Pressler). They know the world is watching them on this one.

The final element: People. The guests will make SW Land come alive. Look at Cars Land: We knew it would be impressive, but who'd have guessed it would feel so joyful and energetic? The guests bring that element.

CaptainAmerica

It has the character of a haphazard, temporary camp. It fits Star Wars but that's not exactly an inviting alien world.
Is "inviting" really the goal, though? The Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror wouldn't fairly be described as "inviting" by any stretch, but they're not going for "inviting." Star Wars Land will be going for a feeling of adventure more than a feeling of an inviting alien world. I wouldn't call Maz Kanata's castle "inviting," for example, but heck yes I'd like to visit there.

starwarstrailer1-xlarge.jpg

Curious Constance

Fantasyland was brought up here before so I'd just like to point out that if you guys get this ride from Tokyo yours will easily be the best Fantasyland of them all.
View attachment 139794
Possibly add Frozen on top and Disneyland is on its way to being the most perfect park to spend a whole day in on the planet. Just fix Tomorrowland!!!
Okay, I've been hesitant on a Beauty and the Beast ride, but this looks COOOOOOOL.

Curious Constance

I agree. I hope it's not all music and dance, though. I just want one really scary sequence where you creep through the West WIng, see the rose and then Beast lunges out at you and yells, "GET OUUUUUUUUUUUTTTT!!!!"
That would be really cool! I hope we get this instead of a Dwarf mine train ride.

JediMasterMatt

That would be really cool! I hope we get this instead of a Dwarf mine train ride.

DL's Fantasyland expansion will have two things borrowed from Tokyo if all goes according to plan. The above and the other thing that is at least delayed in Tokyo.

The Mine Train was never very likely. Whatever goes into Toontown will be mostly indoors to allow it to remain open during fireworks. The plan is for the plot to be mostly show buildings.

Curious Constance

DL's Fantasyland expansion will have two things borrowed from Tokyo if all goes according to plan. The above and the other thing that is at least delayed in Tokyo.

The Mine Train was never very likely. Whatever goes into Toontown will be mostly indoors to allow it to remain open during fireworks. The plan is for the plot to be mostly show buildings.

So the Beauty and the Beast and what else?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom