Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Curious Constance

Have you ever considered getting a job at Disneyland after retiring? A lot of my co-workers did that. You could apply, possibly request Fantasyland, and I could give you pointers haha!

Fantasyland is definitely one of the most pleasing lands to look at. Besides having to wear that ugly uniform, I did enjoy working in Fantasyland, hence my profile picture.

I don't think I would ever want to work in Disneyland or live in Southern California. I definitely love the rainy cool weather 9 months out of the year I get in Oregon, and to be honest, the people I'd have to deal with on a daily basis would probably be too much for me to handle in old age. hahahaha

Mike S

Tomorrowland is the worst part of Disneyland by far, it's far more offensive to my sensibilities. At least Star Wars Land might be well executed. Tomorrowland is now off theme and poorly executed.

On a positive note, Tomorrowland has been seemingly spared from both Star Wars and Marvel. Maybe they can actually run with a cohesive concept for it... or just let the vision of tomorrow become increasingly dystopian. :D

I'm all for an expanded Fantasyland presence as is the rumour swirling, but I just can't believe that's higher on their priority list than fixing tomorrowland.
Frozen. That's why. Speaking of offensive in Disneyland...... How about that overhaul in New Orleans Square huh? :banghead:

BrianLo

Frozen. That's why. Speaking of offensive in Disneyland...... How about that overhaul in New Orleans Square huh? :banghead:

While it in no way was well done, the end result is only troublesome if you know what you are looking for. New Orleans Square is still just as wonderful, Andy Castro was extremely laser focused on it and blew it slightly out of proportion.

Mike S

Exactly. If it weren't for Frozen (UGH), Fantasyland wouldn't be possibly getting anything.
I'm excited for you guys actually. You might actually get a really good ride out of this, maybe even a clone of Tokyo's. Meanwhile over here.......... :cry: So much wasted potential.......

Anyway back to Star Wars :)

Donaldfan1934

That's my whole problem with this thing. I want the REAL Star Wars Land, not a Mickeyfied version. I want ongoing gun battles and bounty hunters and drunk aliens. But I don't want that in the happiest place on earth. The IPs in the original Disneyland were already the happy and clean Disneyfied versions of those stories, not the dark originals. Well, maybe drunk Pinocchio :)

It's why I already don't like Star Wars (not Star Tours) in Tomorrowland. I don't want my vision of the future to include Stormtroopers.
You've got the idea. While I think @Rich T has some good points about how Walt adapted stories, the point is that he adapted them to his tastes and sensibilities. Just because he had and needed sponsors coming into the park doesn't necessarily equate to him possibly wanting SWL in his park. I do agree with @Rich T that Walt was very open minded creatively speaking, but if Walt ever had any interest in working on a Star Wars project, he would most likely have adapted his own version of it and possibly make an attraction for it in Tomorrowland. And before you argue that his version of a Tomorrowland was completely based in science fact instead of science fiction, he actually wanted it to be more of a mix of both. Remember, it was Walt himself who actually came up with the concept of Space Mountain, originally Space Port.

Donaldfan1934

I'm all for an expanded Fantasyland presence as is the rumour swirling, but I just can't believe that's higher on their priority list than fixing tomorrowland.
The mere possibility that expanding Fantasyland may be higher on Disney's to do list than fixing Tomorrowland just brings furher evidence to show how broken of a company Disney is from a creative standpoint. I'm all for more Fantasyland attractions ( former motor boat cruise area anyone?), the fact that that Disneyland's Fantasyland has seen a minimal amount of changes since the 1983 redo speaks volumes about how well it works in its current state. Tomorrowland having more perceived problems than any other area in the park definitely should've put it on the top of the list before any of this SWL crap.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

Exactly. If it weren't for Frozen (UGH), Fantasyland wouldn't be possibly getting anything.
To be fair, if they ever brought Frozen Ever After to DL, it would be going into the one area where it belongs unlike at WDW. More rides in Fantasyland would be more than welcome, but a full on redo would be completely unnecessary in DL's case.

Donaldfan1934

I'm excited for you guys actually. You might actually get a really good ride out of this, maybe even a clone of Tokyo's. Meanwhile over here.......... :cry: So much wasted potential.......

How do you know for sure that the ride itself in Florida is of low quality or that Tokyo isn't getting the same thing with a more appropriately themed area? Just because it doesn't fit where its going or that its using most of Maelstrom's layout doesn't mean that it won't be a great attraction individually.

Mike S

How do you know for sure that the ride itself in Florida is of low quality or that Tokyo isn't getting the same thing with a more appropriately themed area? Just because it doesn't fit where its going or that its using most of Maelstrom's layout doesn't mean that it won't be a great attraction individually.
Insiders have said before that Tokyo's attraction will be much more than Epcots 26 year old reskinned boat ride. I also doubt they would copy it for DL.

Donaldfan1934

Insiders have said before that Tokyo's attraction will be much more than Epcots 26 year old reskinned boat ride. I also doubt they would copy it for DL.
So kind of like the two Pooh's then. Tokyo has the massive groundbreaking E-Ticket, while the Disney owned resorts get something more on par with the other dark rides. Don't get me wrong, basic dark rides are fine, but the differences between the two are huge.

mickEblu

So kind of like the two Pooh's then. Tokyo has the massive groundbreaking E-Ticket, while the Disney owned resorts get something more on par with the other dark rides. Don't get me wrong, basic dark rides are fine, but the differences between the two are huge.

I actually asked WDW1974 this question and he said that DLs Frozen ride would most likely be a copy of Tokyos and not Epcots. So we ll see. I hope he's right.

Mike S

I actually asked WDW1974 this question and he said that DLs Frozen ride would most likely be a copy of Tokyos and not Epcots. So we ll see. I hope he's right.
Me too. Then I wouldn't have to go all the way to Tokyo every time to ride it (I still want to go though)!!! To further show the difference between the resorts I remember 74 also said that Cars Land was pitched to OLC as a total replacement for their Rivers of America. They declined. I guess they see value in things like that.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

We can continue to talk about Fantasyland. :)

I'm so over Frozen. It's represented in Storybook, there are multiple Frozen shows between both parks, it's in the parades, on Main Street, it's in WoC: Celebrate (the entire "Let it Go")... I'm done with Frozen.

@Donaldfan1934 made a great observation about Fantasyland. The 1983 re-do has held up for decades. They did a great job, it doesn't need help. I can't really think of any legit problems I have with Fantasyland.

mickEblu

Me too. Then I wouldn't have to go all the way to Tokyo every time to ride it (I still want to go though)!!! To further show the difference between the resorts I remember 74 also said that Cars Land was pitched to OLC as a total replacement for their Rivers of America. They declined. I guess they see value in things like that.

Scary to think something like that was even proposed. I forgot to include this point as one of my positives of SWL in my original post on this thread. I feel like the shortening of the ROA and plussing of northern portion just may have saved it from a complete demolition at least for the foreseeable future. I know that sounds crazy but here's my train of thought.....I don't think Disney would have leveled all of that's backstage area for anything but an IP like Star Wars. So... I could see Disney at some point thinking... Park needs more capacity.... ROA is underutilized...hmmmm.

Mike S

I'm so over Frozen. It's represented in Storybook, there are multiple Frozen shows between both parks, it's in the parades, on Main Street, it's in WoC: Celebrate (the entire "Let it Go")... I'm done with Frozen.

@Donaldfan1934 made a great observation about Fantasyland. The 1983 re-do has held up for decades. They did a great job, it doesn't need help. I can't really think of any legit problems I have with Fantasyland.
I see your point with all that Frozen squeezed in two parks. I've never seen the show in DHS but I have seen it in the castle projection show and parade. I guess it helps that I still enjoy the songs :cautious: That being said what's happening in Epcot is disgusting. A smaller Arendelle compared to Tokyo's could be a good replacement for Toontown (that's the rumor right?) but then we have another single IP land. If that's the case, can DHS have Roger Rabbit please? ;)

mickEblu

I would agree if it were going in the Courtyard behind the castle or replacing Storybookland or something. But I have no problem with a well executed Frozen ride in place of the Fantasyland theatre, motorboat cruise area (not sure if this is possible) or that expansion area next to Toontown.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

Well if that's the case, then it'll certainly be a big first. Usually, WDW, DL, DLP, and HKDL are subject to the same versions of attracttions, while Tokyo gets its own thing since its not subject to Burbank's budget slashing. Again, we'll wait and see how Frozen Ever After goes. Because if it goes over well, then I'm sure Chapek would be more than happy to continue that tradition.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I see your point with all that Frozen squeezed in two parks. I've never seen the show in DHS but I have seen it in the castle projection show and parade. I guess it helps that I still enjoy the songs :cautious: That being said what's happening in Epcot is disgusting. A smaller Arendelle compared to Tokyo's could be a good replacement for Toontown (that's the rumor right?) but then we have another single IP land. If that's the case, can DHS have Roger Rabbit please? ;)

So sad what they're doing to EPCOT/Maelstrom. That is far worse than a Frozen ride going into Fantasyland, no doubt.

I really want Disney to update Toontown instead of bulldoze it. They could start by adding an Ink and Paint Club.

I would agree if it were going in the Courtyard behind the castle or replacing Storybookland or something. But I have no problem with a well executed Frozen ride in place of the Fantasyland theatre, motorboat cruise area (not sure if this is possible) or that expansion area next to Toontown.

I'd rather see a Black Cauldron or Sword in the Stone ride. If I had to pick a princess, I'd be happier to see a Beauty and the Beast ride before Frozen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom