Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

dweezil78

On a side note, we were booking our 'my disney experience' dining plan restaurants and BoG was booked solid, literally 6 months before our visit. And, don't know if anyone knows this, but you can't even wait in line for BoG to eat there, you HAVE to have a reservation now. craziness.

Just keep checking daily (even more frequent) to see if any reservations free up. They can and will -- especially as you get closer to the date when people risk losing $$$ if they don't cancel early enough. Definitely not impossible to score a reservation there.

mickEblu

I was one of those who was against SWL in Tomorrowland, though it's already made its way there, unfortunately.

I will give it a chance when I go to DHS. Disneyland? Nope. I don't plan to step foot there and I'm not the only one. A buddy of mine feels the exact same way and has zero plans of ever seeing SWL in Disneyland.

Do you have an AP, if you don't mind me asking? If so, do you really have the will power not to step into a brand new 14 acre land with 2 E tickets...every single time you go to the park? Even just out of curiosity? That's hardcore.

Phroobar

Do you have an AP, if you don't mind me asking? If so, do you really have the will power not to step into a brand new 14 acre land with 2 E tickets...every single time you go to the park? Even just out of curiosity? That's hardcore.
I agree. I just don't understand that kind of logic I guess.

dweezil78

I agree. I just don't understand that kind of logic I guess.

Same. Couldn't stomach the thought of Frozen taking up residency at Epcot's Norway and I don't really care for the movie all that much. Do I want to check out the ride next time I'm out in Florida? Heck yeah I do. Always exciting to see the latest output from the gang at WDI. If I don't like it, I just won't do it again (or wait more than I want to) but it's always worth seeing at least once.

Also... it's always possible for even terrible albums to have a few big hits. :)

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Keep the truth coming. Although, I do have to disagree with you on Cars Land though. Radiator Springs is definitely a fictional location worth visiting so I'm happy they went in the direction they did with it.

I would have preferred the original idea (California car culture, drive-ins, road trips, etc.). The awe of Cars Land has worn off for me, but I still find it entertaining. At least with the original idea, they would have been able to significantly update/change it. Cars Land is what it is, Radiator Springs. There's no changing that and plussing that (not in the same way as the traditional lands).

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

Yes, I'm an AP, and no, avoiding SWL won't be an issue for me. I don't care about the E-tickets, I don't care about what's coming, I'm not interested in the project in general. I can barely take the construction photos; looking at the real deal when it is completed will be a definite no-no. I've kept out of the construction thread completely. There is ZERO interest in me regarding the Disneyland version.

BrianLo

A third park based on Sci-Fi universes could've been really cool. Star Wars Land, Asgard (Thor), Knowhere (GotG), Pandora, etc. Many possibilities.

That's a fantastic idea. If only Disney listened to the ideas fans like yourself. We'd be much better off right if that were the case, wouldn't we?

Sorry, I know I'm quoting these two old posts, but this is where I started to catch up from.

The big difference is @Mike S is proposing a 4 billion dollar second park that wouldn't feasibly be completed until well into the 2020's.

Ya we'd all love that decision, but it is a complete apple to oranges comparison. Would I be willing to wait? Yes. But I can't complain about a 1 billion expansion 'now' to wait on a maybe third park later. They also don't lose the ability to build that third park later either, which they aren't in any rush to do with current management.

I agree that's the consensus, but almost all of Disney's recent projects are surrounded by skepticism and/or outright hatred with a dash of hope for sanity's sake. How about projects with nothing but shear excitement and positivity surrounding them more often?

Like Star Wars Land in Florida? ;)

I harken back to Carsland. There was so much vitriol around the subject matter. At least Star Wars generally has fans of internet fan-forum age. The only reason Star Wars is getting the same amount of flack is Disneyland, whereas the purists could have cared less about DCA at the time.

Despite all the "skepticism, outright hatred with a dash of hope for sanity's sake" surrounding Carsland... it was a smashing success and 99% of fans really liked it.

In all fairness, SWL attractions will be the 2 of the biggest E-tickets Disney has ever built (not necessarily the best), while neither NFL attraction qualifies as an E. But you're right, the theming is excellent in NFL and SWL should be at least on that level.

Could be. I think Disney will start to eliminate the lower AP tiers to combat that. Or, at the very least, the monthly payment plan. SW is so freakin' popular across multiple generations. I know Potterworld got hype, but that may look quaint compared to SWL. Mind you, just talking about excitement and attention from the general public, not in execution.

Insiders have stated elsewhere that the Battle attraction could be objectively the best E-ticket in North America and the Millennium Falcon will certainly be a top 5-10.

Subjective of course people may still prefer their favourites like Haunted Mansion (not thinking of anyone in particular...), but NFL came with a complete dud and a nice D-ticket that was supposed to be an E. SWL won't remotely have that problem.

From a scale perspective, I think this project is equivalent to both phases of Potter (Hogsmead + Diagon), minus the pre-existing coasters and the train, but as a plus the second E-ticket won't be a hot mess. I don't know why people think that isn't going big enough considering it's just a phase one.

Phroobar

It's the not in my Disneyland backyard that I just don't understand.

We still get a third theme park. We get more room and two new e-tickets along with a killer restaurant. To say I'm never going in there because I can't stand the thought THAT IP that has been part of the park for 30 years is getting expanded is like saying I'm never going to Critter Country because it's not off the hub. This version will not be a hot mess unlike Florida's that is two years behind and more time for the pencil pushers to muck it up.

Mike S

Insiders have stated elsewhere that the Battle attraction could be objectively the best E-ticket in North America and the Millennium Falcon will certainly be a top 5-10.
I thought the Battle attraction was described as world class and the Falcon as one of the best in North America.
Subjective of course people may still prefer their favourites like Haunted Mansion (not thinking of anyone in particular...), but NFL came with a complete dud and a nice D-ticket that was supposed to be an E. SWL won't remotely have that problem.
If NFL had that B&tB ride that Tokyo is getting I think it would've been fine having Mermaid and SDMT as they are.
From a scale perspective, I think this project is equivalent to both phases of Potter (Hogsmead + Diagon), minus the pre-existing coasters and the train, but as a plus the second E-ticket won't be a hot mess. I don't know why people think that isn't going big enough considering it's just a phase one.
No matter how many times you say it, Gringotts is not a hot mess (to me). Sure, it's not as good as FJ, but it's still a very enjoyable ride :)

The hot mess will be F&F :p

But let's not make this about Uni.

ctrlaltdel

I think this is a good way to look at it, SWL pretty much Is there any rumblings of a possible Phase 2? Marni mentioned a 3rd attraction was cut, and Micechat mentioned a PeopleMover-type attraction. I'm sure the time frame is way down the road, but there is really no way SWL is not a massive success. Disney, surely to the chagrin of many in this thread, will certainly be looking to milk it's cash cow further. Maybe pull a Potter and put an expansion in DCA?

Rich T

I think this is a good way to look at it, SWL pretty much Is there any rumblings of a possible Phase 2? Marni mentioned a 3rd attraction was cut, and Micechat mentioned a PeopleMover-type attraction. I'm sure the time frame is way down the road, but there is really no way SWL is not a massive success. Disney, surely to the chagrin of many in this thread, will certainly be looking to milk it's cash cow further. Maybe pull a Potter and put an expansion in DCA?
How about a completely immersive SW themed hotel with direct entry into SW Land via transport or skybridge?

Last edited:

Curious Constance

You're not coming off as a troll at all.

No matter what, I will always be against SWL in Disneyland. They could plus up RoA, bring back Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland, it doesn't matter.

They could have done something with the river without putting SWL in. Who knows if the Canoes will be coming back. There's so much they could have done with that piece of land. It is being wasted, in my opinion.

Just curious if you are a fan of the Star Wars movies at all?

Being a fan myself, it's easy for me to forget that some people aren't. I can easily see myself being upset if they were adding a whole land devoted to a movie I hated. I kind of feel that way about Pandora in WDW, but I don't care as much since I never go to WDW and don't have as much of an attachment to it like DL. But, I'm willing to keep an open mind, as I'm hoping there will be lots to like from Pandora for non fans, as I'm sure the same can be said about Star Wars Land.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I went Potterland when it was just under a year old and it was hell. I can only imagine how this will effect DL.

Hogsmead is very poorly designed from a crowd flow perspective. I've experienced 'hellish' Hogsmead at both IOA and USH, meanwhile the rest of the park is quite literally a dream. Hogsmead shares a lot in common with the design of Tomorrowland now that I think about it.

I don't believe this will have the same problem. Diagon Alley learned that lesson from Hogsmead and as a result crowd flow is much more pleasant in the Studio's side.

Who knows, if it is a big enough crowd sponge the rest of DL might actually feel less crowded. Can it mop up more people than it attracts remains to be seen.

BrianLo

No matter how many times you say it, Gringotts is not a hot mess (to me).

The hot mess will be F&F :p

Alright, I'll concede 'a fun ride, but a missed opportunity' instead. Yes F&F is the actual hot mess.

Is there any rumblings of a possible Phase 2?

Yes and no, there are clearly lots of plans. They sound like they are no where even close to a priority though and the 1.5 billion they promised Anaheim will have been exhausted by then.

DLR desperately "needs"/is getting Frozen and Marvel way before that can get approval. The merch guy is running the show after all. The tradeoff is they are getting 4 E-tickets in the next 5 years. Win some, lose some.

ctrlaltdel

DLR desperately "needs"/is getting Frozen and Marvel way before that can get approval. The merch guy is running the show after all. The tradeoff is they are getting 4 E-tickets in the next 5 years. Win some, lose some.
I can't really complain about Frozen and Marvel getting an E-ticket each. As long as they are well done. Probably not the correct thread, but I know Frozen is set to open 1-2 years after SWL, is Marvel gonna open around 2021?

BrianLo

I can't really complain about Frozen and Marvel getting an E-ticket each. As long as they are well done. Probably not the correct thread, but I know Frozen is set to open 1-2 years after SWL, is Marvel gonna open around 2021?

Not totally sure, both seem like moving targets. I'd actually expect Marvel before Frozen. Not sure how happy OLC would be if DL got their Frozen E-ticket years ahead of them.

Donaldfan1934

Exactly. We were at WDW for the opening week of NFL in Dec 2012 and whilst the area is b-e-a-utiful, it leaves you wanting. Granted, we had been going to DL/DCA for years and had already experienced LM, so the only magic for that ride was the queue (which is awesome, DL's queue is a joke). We still didn't get to ride mine train since it was under construction, so the only thing redeeming about NFL was its attention to detail and the food/atmosphere of BoG restaurant. Dumbo dual spinners were gorgeous too.

We're heading back to WDW this December, and we're looking forward seeing the finished product that is NFL, but I'm sure we'll still feel slighted a bit after reading reviews of mine train. However, we've stayed away from any videos of the ride so we don't get it spoiled beforehand.

On a side note, we were booking our 'my disney experience' dining plan restaurants and BoG was booked solid, literally 6 months before our visit. And, don't know if anyone knows this, but you can't even wait in line for BoG to eat there, you HAVE to have a reservation now. craziness.
Try to get the fan overanalyzes out of your head and you'll probably enjoy SDMT for what it is. After all, you can never truly know how you feel about an attraction until you experience it. As I said, the problem with NFL isn't what was done, but what wasn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom