Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Donaldfan1934

A third park based on Sci-Fi universes could've been really cool. Star Wars Land, Asgard (Thor), Knowhere (GotG), Pandora, etc. Many possibilities.
That's a fantastic idea. If only Disney listened to the ideas fans like yourself. We'd be much better off right if that were the case, wouldn't we?

Donaldfan1934

I don't want to get off course. The problem with new Fantasyland was missed opportunity. TDO should have answered back to Harry Potter Orlando with an (11!) on the 1-10 scale. Instead served up a luke warm (6).

It is a rapidly cooling (4) compared to Disneylands Fantasyland.
That's true. WDW's Fantasyland needed a lot more dark rides in order to match Disneyland's line up and 2 or 3 phases to really take advantage of the area. That being said, however, what was done fixed part of the problem even if it didn't fix everything and makes the land overall better than it ever has been despite that victory being kind of by default.

Last edited:

SSG

DCA wouldn't be a bad fit either, but I'm not sure that there's enough land in that park where something major wouldn't have to be sacrificed.
Disney seems to be under the impression there is a lot of expansion room at DCA. Remember last year during the gate tax drama with Anaheim, Disney talked about future expansion and reportedly said California Adventure has approval for 3 million square feet of theme-park space but has used only 900,000, according to Anaheim’s master-plan agreement with Disney. An on-line square foot converter tells me 3m sq = 68.8 acres and 900k sq = 20.6 acres. So that's 48.2 acres that can be developed.

Now I agree with you; I'm not seeing where all this space is either, but that's what was reported.

Donaldfan1934

Disney seems to be under the impression there is a lot of expansion room at DCA. Remember last year during the gate tax drama with Anaheim, Disney talked about future expansion and reportedly said California Adventure has approval for 3 million square feet of theme-park space but has used only 900,000, according to Anaheim’s master-plan agreement with Disney. An on-line square foot converter tells me 3m sq = 68.8 acres and 900k sq = 20.6 acres. So that's 48.2 acres that can be developed.

Now I agree with you; I'm not seeing where all this space is either, but that's what was reported.
I just looked it up and some places like Google says the park is 67 acres, but others like Wikipedia says its 72. Either way, the information you have is inaccurate. If DCA was in fact 20 acres, then Cars land would take up more than half of the existing space since that alone is 12 acres.

SSG

I just looked it up and some places like Google says the park is 67 acres, but others like Wikipedia says its 72. Either way, the information you have is inaccurate. If DCA was in fact 20 acres, then Cars land would take up more than half of the existing space since that alone is 12 acres.
Who knows how it's being totaled up. It might be one of those zoning quirks where you see a 10 acre parcel zoned 6 acres residential and 6 acres commercial. I would sure like to see this reported "Anaheim’s master-plan agreement.' I remember making a quick search last year but not seeing anything.

Donaldfan1934

Here's the new concept art and while things are obviously not looking pretty, this is eye opening. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ests-get-a-peek-at-new-star-wars-themed-land/

While it's obvious that it's drawn from a fantastical angle, it's clear that many features of the land will intrude upon the ROA. In fact, it appears that there's one building that rests directly behind the train tracks that's in complete visability. Even though potential improvements that may come to the ROA (anyone else see the keel boat?), I feel that they'll make little difference. I think its safe to say that Walt's River is dead and any sense thematic unity in the park is about to be thrown competley out the window.:cry:

RIP Rivers of America (1955-2016)

Donaldfan1934

^^^ That is absolutely disgusting. I really cannot...

UGH!:mad:
I know. Everytime I look, things look increasingly worse and yet more unreal. Despite Disneyland's impending doom becoming more and more real every day, the concept art still looks like its from an April Fools Day article to me. Nothing is sacred to Disney anymore and the fans are at their mercy. TDA and even the modern WDC as a whole have shown that they know how to serve fans correctly. Unfortunately, they're content on doing the exact opposite.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I know. Everytime I look, things look increasingly worse and yet more unreal. Despite Disneyland's impending doom becoming more and more real every day, the concept art still looks like its from an April Fools Day article to me. Nothing is sacred to Disney anymore and the fans are at their mercy. TDA and even the modern WDC as a whole have shown that they know how to serve fans correctly. Unfortunately, they're content on doing the exact opposite.

It's not just Disney's fault. It's also the fans. As I said in another thread, a lot of Disney fans will accept anything that is put in the park. I got into a debate with someone who would have been completely fine with Disney theming Thunder Mountain to The Lone Ranger. THEN he tried to justify Nemo's rightful placement in Tomorrowland... I shut that down quickly, he wasn't making any sense.

Lots of fans are not only ignorant of the park's history, but they don't care about it either, tradition included. Disney would of course rather listen to that kind of fan.

Mike S

It's not just Disney's fault. It's also the fans. As I said in another thread, a lot of Disney fans will accept anything that is put in the park. I got into a debate with someone who would have been completely fine with Disney theming Thunder Mountain to The Lone Ranger. THEN he tried to justify Nemo's rightful placement in Tomorrowland... I shut that down quickly, he wasn't making any sense.

Lots of fans are not only ignorant of the park's history, but they don't care about it either, tradition included. Disney would of course rather listen to that kind of fan.
Lone Ranger? Lol. I did like the Nemo subs but it makes about as much sense as Monsters Inc. in our Tomorrowland.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Lone Ranger? Lol. I did like the Nemo subs but it makes about as much sense as Monsters Inc. in our Tomorrowland.

Yes, Lone Ranger. Ridiculous lol.

The submarines themselves are fine, but the Nemo theme is completely out of place. Not sure what Disney was thinking putting Monster's Inc. there.

Donaldfan1934

The way I see it, there are Purist fans and casuals. Purist fans have the knowledge of what makes what they love tick. While they may not always be in unanimous agreement on everything, they have general shared beliefs that are held as truth throughout a fandom. Casuals still love what they love, but don't conciously know why. The more a company appeals to casuals, the more the fandom as a whole will break down to the point where the even they will start to take note of things at least subliminally. This seems to be Disney's plan as of late. Its short term gains countered by long term woes.

Last edited:

dweezil78

I think you're freaking out over nothing. Don't underestimate the power of perspective. I really don't think you will see much of anything SWL related from the ROA other than rock work which looks like it will blend in with everything. They appear to be going to great lengths to make sure this all ties together well. While I can't speak for that one building in particular, even if it was somewhat visible it hardly is destroying Walt's ROA, especially to a degree where you would call it 'dead.' You can see Space Mountain from Main St. and Splash Mountain. Big whoop.

Donaldfan1934

I'd say Nemo makes about as much sense as the original subs did. The ride being an odd fit for Tomorrowland is something that dates back to Walt himself when they were still trying to establish the land's identity.

D

Deleted member 107043

The way I see it, there are hardcore fans and casuals. Hardcore fans have the knowledge what makes what they love tick. While they may not always be in unanimous agreement on everything, they have general shared beliefs that are held as truth throughout a fandom. Casuals still love what they love, but don't conciously know why.

So you really are going to go with that huh? Reducing opposing fan opinions into a high school level competition where fans who disagree with you are lesser because your beliefs are "the truth". Ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom