Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
...the main problem with Disney today is they want immediate gratification when it comes to expanding IP in the parks. So much so, that they're are willing to destroy and distort the meaning behind one of the most iconic works of the Disney name. the bastardization of Disneyland sets a very dangerous precedent going forward, so be very afraid for its future beyond SWL. This shows that nothing is sacred to Disney as long as there's money to make.

THIS. Exactly. Disney is so money-hungry these days to the point where, as you said, tradition is no longer deemed honorable. They're too worried about making money and making it fast.

I would be more forgiving of of an IP-based land in Disneyland if it fit the aura of the park better. For example if Disney announced they had plans to build Never Land, or something like that, I wouldn't be too upset because it jives with the rest of the park, in my opinion. But Star Wars? What?

Yep. Not disagreeing. The thing is, though: They wouldn't have built that themed land (Discovery Bay, for example). They wouldn't have built anything. They won't even fix Tomorrowland. Only something as huge and guaranteed a success as SW could have convinced Iger to go forward with a project like this in a U.S. park.

The good news is that it's mostly built on land guests had no previous access to and will be hidden by clever landscaping. The bad news is...well, you summed it up nicely.

So, I'm looking forward to Star Wars Land and hoping for the best...'cause that train ain't turning back. Seriously, the ones I feel most sorry for are the displaced horses. Couldn't they have, like, dressed up as banthas and stayed put?

We don't know what Disney would have done with that land years and years from now. And it's not like the pile of dirt had been sitting there for years. That land was already being used.

I'm not looking forward to this at all, and never will. But I'm glad you are.

Donaldfan1934

Yep. Not disagreeing. The thing is, though: They wouldn't have built that themed land (Discovery Bay, for example). They wouldn't have built anything. They won't even fix Tomorrowland. Only something as huge and guaranteed a success as SW could have convinced Iger to go forward with a project like this in a U.S. park.

The good news is that it's mostly built on land guests had no previous access to and will be hidden by clever landscaping. The bad news is...well, you summed it up nicely.

So, I'm looking forward to Star Wars Land and hoping for the best...'cause that train ain't turning back. Seriously, the ones I feel most sorry for are the displaced horses. Couldn't they have, like, dressed up as banthas and stayed put?
We can see that they wouldn't, because they aren't. The fact is that it was a possibility and they could've done something like Discovery Bay on that plot of land. I also think that its disgusting that this was put over Tomorrowland on the list of things to work on after the 60th. I know you pointed out that your in general agreement with @raven24's point , but I can't help but cringe when someone says "its mostly backstage areas". I get what you meant by it, but its usually used as an excuse for the placement.

Last edited:

Rich T

We don't know what Disney would have done with that land years and years from now. And it's not like the pile of dirt had been sitting there for years. That land was already being used.
Nothing is permanent, not even Star Wars. If, by some chance years from now, SW drops in popularity to the point where the new management sees a better use for that area, it could easily (well, *relatively* easily) become Discovery Bay or Kingdom Hearts Traverse Town or Villain Valley or something else.

In the history of Disneyland changes, this is massive and unsettling. But, hey, at least it's not as stupid as Videopolis. :D

Donaldfan1934

THIS. Exactly. Disney is so money-hungry these days to the point where, as you said, tradition is no longer deemed honorable. They're too worried about making money and making it fast.

I would be more forgiving of of an IP-based land in Disneyland if it fit the aura of the park better. For example if Disney announced they had plans to build Never Land, or something like that, I wouldn't be too upset because it jives with the rest of the park, in my opinion. But Star Wars? What?
Same here. Disney could've come up with plenty of IP focused expansion ideas that could've gone a lot better with the park's identity. Now, its just going to be muddled and lost virtually forever. If you look at what's happening in Tomorrowland right now, they're already trying Star Wars the star of the park. What has made Disneyland, Disneyland for all these years is becoming lost in this giant mess.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
We can see that they wouldn't, because they aren't. The fact is that it was a possibility and they could've done something like Discovery Bay on that plot of land. I also think that its disgusting that this was put over Tomorrowland on the list of things to work on after the 60th. I know you pointed out that your in general agreement with @raven24's point , but I can't help but cringe when someone says "its mostly backstage area". I get what you meant by it, but its usually used as an excuse for the placement.

Right. They're not doing things, so we assume they'll never do it. I wonder how many people swore up and down Hatbox wasn't returning, simply because Disney showed no signs they had plans to bring him back in that 40+ year absence he was gone.

The "backstage area" so-called excuse annoys me, too. Backstage areas have nothing to do with the poor choices Disney makes regarding how they choose to use the land.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Same here. Disney could've come up with plenty of IP focused expansion ideas that could've gone a lot better with the park's identity. Now, its just going to be muddled and lost virtually forever. If you look at what's happening in Tomorrowland right now, they're already trying Star Wars the star of the park. What has made Disneyland, Disneyland for all these years is becoming lost in this giant mess.

Can't forget about Tomorrowland, which right now is basically a cheap version of SWL. Like enough is enough already.

Mike S

I agree with you 100% on this but you should at least give it a chance in WDW. No park ruining on this coast (except Epcot)!!!

Rich T

I agree with you 100% on this but you should at least give it a chance in WDW. No park ruining on this coast (except Epcot)!!!
And, on that note, let's give DL's SWL a chance before we claim it's ruined the park (which I'm 99% sure it won't).
(EDIT) 95%...90%. Yeah. *90%* sure it won't...

SSG

Legit question for the folks who are against SWL. Are you going to give it a chance? Or is the fact that you didn’t want Disney to do this going to make you dislike SWL even if it’s spectacular?

Mike S

Legit question for the folks who are against SWL. Are you going to give it a chance? Or is the fact that you didn’t want Disney to do this going to make you dislike SWL even if it’s spectacular?
I'm hyped for SWL in DHS but it's in the completely wrong spot in DL. Like how Frozen is being shoved into Epcot but Disneyland will be getting it (and better) in Fantasyland.

jbradway

I think the bashing against the IP approach is probably a bit over the top. Even some of the original themes that drove the original Disneyland rises and falls with the passage of time. Frontierland and western stories were at an all time high. That has seen a pretty steady decline over the decades. We all know the issues that Tomorrowland faces with quickly dated themes. The park goer of the 50s and 60s is not the same 50 years later. Walt could take some risks because lets face it, nobody was firing him. That has not been true for everyone who has followed.

Like it or not, Star Wars has the kind of sustained following that spans generations and is a can't miss investment. You can argue where it should have gone elsewhere - third park, etc.. But the fact is that none of those other options were possible in the timeline that we have.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

I won't be stepping foot in it at Disneyland when it opens. Yeah, sometimes I complain about things and still partake in them, but not this time.

WEDwaydatamover

I'm an eastcoaster but I have been throwing up in my own head since the day I heard about SWL in Disneyland. It belongs in the hodgepodge park across the street. I feel your pain and disdain. It's a missed opportunity and horrible choice like our New Fantasyland. We're stuck with what we got. You can protest with your wallet but life is too short and Burbank doesn't care or get it.

Donaldfan1934

Can't forget about Tomorrowland, which right now is basically a cheap version of SWL. Like enough is enough already.
Exactly. Season of the Force may have been a fun overlay for the holiday season, but now I fear that they may end up keeping it in place after SWL opens. God forbid they make Hyperspace Mountain the permanent Space Mountain or else I may have to go on a soul search.
Oh yeah, I'm not against SWL. I'm against SWL occupying space in Disneyland. I have no issue with it going to DHS. If it we're going in DCA, I wouldn't be b**ching like I am now. Anywhere but DL.
Again, right on the money. SWL was just dying to be put into DHS. Its a match made in heaven and a huge step in the right direction for that park's identity. DCA wouldn't be a bad fit either, but I'm not sure that there's enough land in that park where something major wouldn't have to be sacrificed. This is why the land long designated for a third theme park should've been used for this. While DCA is still imperfect, it was clear by the time DCA 2.0 was completed that a third park would be needed to further expand upon different types of subject matter. Tragically, Disney executives only thought about what would best benifit themselves for the short term rather than how it would affect the resort's long term operations and the integrity of an icon. What was once a company that treated place making with the utmost consideration and care is now depressingly one that's willing to sacrifice all of that for the bottom line.

Donaldfan1934

I'm an eastcoaster but I have been throwing up in my own head since the day I heard about SWL in Disneyland. It belongs in the hodgepodge park across the street. I feel your pain and disdain. It's a missed opportunity and horrible choice like our New Fantasyland. We're stuck with what we got. You can protest with your wallet but life is too short and Burbank doesn't care or get it.
What was so horrible about New Fantasyland other than it being somewhat of a missed opportunity? The main problem with it is not what was done with the expanded area but what wasn't done with the existing.

Mike S

Exactly. Season of the Force may have been a fun overlay for the holiday season, but now I fear that they may end up keeping it in place after SWL opens. God forbid they make Hyperspace Mountain the permanent Space Mountain or else I may have to go on a soul search.

Again, right on the money. SWL was just dying to be put into DHS. Its a match made in heaven and a huge step in the right direction for that park's identity. DCA wouldn't be a bad fit either, but I'm not sure that there's enough land in that park where something major wouldn't have to be sacrificed. This is why the land long designated for a third theme park should've been used for this. While DCA is still imperfect, it was clear by the time DCA 2.0 was completed that a third park would be needed to further expand upon different types of subject matter. Tragically, Disney executives only thought about what would best benifit themselves for the short term rather than how it would affect the resort's long term operations and the integrity of an icon. What was once a company that treated place making with the utmost consideration and care is now depressingly one that's willing to sacrifice all of that for the bottom line.
A third park based on Sci-Fi universes could've been really cool. Star Wars Land, Asgard (Thor), Knowhere (GotG), Pandora, etc. Many possibilities.

WEDwaydatamover

I don't want to get off course. The problem with new Fantasyland was missed opportunity. TDO should have answered back to Harry Potter Orlando with an (11!) on the 1-10 scale. Instead served up a luke warm (6).

It is a rapidly cooling (4) compared to Disneylands Fantasyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom