Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

D

Deleted member 107043

Why stop at Fantasyland? Just blow up the whole park and devote it to Star Wars! BB8 pancakes instead of Mickey! Imagine Star Wars fireworks (with Yoda levitating above the Castle) and a new SW Fantasmic show. And how fabulous would a SWEP (Star Wars Electrical Parade) be?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mike S

On this site (and others) I’ve seen the argument that Star Wars Land will be ‘limiting’ because it’s a single IP land. I can see that for some IP based lands (I could see it happening to Cars Land in fact), but given what Star Wars is, I really don’t think that will be a problem. The Star Wars universe is huge and diverse in places and characters. There, you can see jungles, deserts, ice worlds, cloud cities and life under water and in outer space. You have epic heroes, fearsome villains, loveable rogues, beautiful princesses, robots, strange creatures and all manner of aliens. You have sci-fi, fantasy and adventure. There is a huge amount of material to draw from right now and that will keep getting bigger as the new movies come out. Star Wars really is its own universe and it has a universe of things that can go into the new land.
Except for the fact that Star Wars Land is restricted to the specific location that is being created for it.

Mike S

In all seriousness, expanding SWL? Ugh. I do not want to see the disease spread.
I have to agree here. Unlike WWoHP in Orlando, there's no other fitting place to put it. I wouldn't want DHS to be overrun with Star Wars and I wouldn't want it in the 3 other parks either. This is one reason why Star Tours should be kept. New scenes can constantly be added to tie in more movies as they come out past the lands opening.

Donaldfan1934

I have to agree here. Unlike WWoHP in Orlando, there's no other fitting place to put it. I wouldn't want DHS to be overrun with Star Wars and I wouldn't want it in the 3 other parks either. This is one reason why Star Tours should be kept. New scenes can constantly be added to tie in more movies as they come out past the lands opening.
I'm fine with this as long as they try to keep it more consistent with the ride's timeline than the Jakku scene did. Do I want to see Jakku in the ride? Yes. Do I want to see in ride and timeline contradictions like first order TIE fighters and characters who wouldn't even exist yet? No. I know the ride had a few timeline issues already, but they fit the timeline in a broad sense and were not as glaring as the new Jakku scene. You could have characters from a Rouge One since the ride and the movie take place around the same time on the Star Wars timeline. I know I'm being a bit picky, but I like a consistent experience.

rle4lunch

Might as well just shut down Frontierland, New Orleans Square and Critter Country for a Star Wars expansion. Nothing important in those areas. No Lucasfilm, Marvel or Frozen attractions at all!

So, they should remove Indy too, or does Adventureland not fit into your over dramatic rant???

2wAz8I4.png

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
image.jpeg

As I look at this travesty of a photo, not only can I not help but notice the MASSIVE amount of space SWL is taking up, but I can't stop thinking about how this insane amount of space could have been put to better use. I imagine a themed land that is not based on one single film franchise, but one that is based on a broader theme that is not so specific, limited, or based on an IP, and allows for a team of Imagineers to actually use their imagination and be creative. Oh, the possibilities, and yet we will be stuck with a land in the Magic Kingdom that is based on Star Wars and Star Wars only for decades and decades. It will take up lots of room in the original Disney park that is already severely limited with space, and instead of using this space for a themed land they could actually build original concepts on, they decide to use it for something that will be based on ONE film franchise. There goes the potential.

image.jpeg

Donaldfan1934

View attachment 145453

As I look at this travesty of a photo, not only can I not help but notice the MASSIVE amount of space SWL is taking up, but I can't stop thinking about how this insane amount of space could have been put to better use. I imagine a themed land that is not based on one single film franchise, but one that is based on a broader theme that is not so specific, limited, or based on an IP, and allows for a team of Imagineers to actually use their imagination and be creative. Oh, the possibilities, and yet we will be stuck with a land in the Magic Kingdom that is based on Star Wars and Star Wars only for decades and decades. It will take up lots of room in the original Disney park that is already severely limited with space, and instead of using this space for a themed land they could actually build original concepts on, they decide to use it for something that will be based on ONE film franchise. There goes the potential.

View attachment 145454
Again, I whole heartedly agree with you here. This looks to be even worse than the Micechat maps have predicted and seems to be somewhat of a death knell for Disneyland park. I know it sounds dramatic, but think about it, roughly 1/4 of the park'sland is going to be entirely devoted to one franchise that doesn't sync with what the park is about at all. Obviously, putting it in a third park with it's own identity would've been much more idea, but the main problem with Disney today is they want immediate gratification when it comes to expanding IP in the parks. So much so, that they're are willing to destroy and distort the meaning behind one of the most iconic works of the Disney name. the bastardization of Disneyland sets a very dangerous precedent going forward, so be very afraid for its future beyond SWL. This shows that nothing is sacred to Disney as long as there's money to make.

Rich T

Yep. Not disagreeing. The thing is, though: They wouldn't have built that themed land (Discovery Bay, for example). They wouldn't have built anything. They won't even fix Tomorrowland. Only something as huge and guaranteed a success as SW could have convinced Iger to go forward with a project like this in a U.S. park.

The good news is that it's mostly built on land guests had no previous access to and will be hidden by clever landscaping. The bad news is...well, you summed it up nicely.

So, I'm looking forward to Star Wars Land and hoping for the best...'cause that train ain't turning back. Seriously, the ones I feel most sorry for are the displaced horses. Couldn't they have, like, dressed up as banthas and stayed put?

Rich T

...somewhat of a death knell for Disneyland park.
I'm sorry. If by "death knell" you mean more financially successful than ever, then yeah. Look, I'm not totally happy about this (I still miss Nature's Wonderland and classic pre-Splash Bear Country), but come on. This expansion is the exact OPPOSITE of "death knell." Now, if they'd devoted all that space to Alice Through the Looking Glass, then they'd have some issues right now.
(EDIT) I know what you're getting at, don't get me wrong. Things are changing, and not in ways many of us would like. But these changes are *exactly* what the newer generations of Disney fans are going to adore...and defend with all their hearts on newfangled holo-forums.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

So, I'm looking forward to Star Wars Land and hoping for the best...'cause that train ain't turning back. Seriously, the ones I feel most sorry for are the displaced horses. Couldn't they have, like, dressed up as banthas and stayed put?

I'm sure the horses are just fine in their new off-site home. I'm also sure we'd see them die if they had to wear bantha costumes in the July heat. lol.

Maybe they'll have people on stilts walking around dressed up like different characters (i.e. Animal Kingdom DiVine the human grapevine). That'd be pretty cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom