Won't be going back there again

mousebymarriage

Mama Melroses is a definate "never again" for us. We ate there in 2007 so maybe things have improved since then but, The food was gross! Sauce was just bad and tasted weird. DD ordered the kids chicken parm and the piece of chicken was so tiny and was very rubbery, the pasta that came with it was elbow macaroni with tomato sauce but, it was dried out and clumped together. Overall just a poor excuse for italian food.

Our family favs are:
Table service:
O'Hanas (dinner)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) kids and adults had a great time.
Liberty Tree Tavern (Dinner)
LeCellier (Dinner)
*Cape May Cafe (dinner) (always been a family fav. but a little disappointed during Feb. 2010 trip)

Counter Service:
Cosmic Rays (Chicken and Ribs combo.)
Flame Tree BBQ
SunShine Seasons

* We have eaten at 50's Prime Time Cafe a few times and it has always been good, the staff can be a little hit and miss but, we never had a truely bad waiter/waitress. It's defiantely one of the those places that I have to been in the mood for entertainment wise.

Animaniac

There's only been one...the Restaurantosaurus in Animal Kingdom.

Went there for a character breakfast when I was younger. Food seemed to be undercooked and there were not many characters.

sbkline

The only restaraunt I can think of right off hand whose food was so unappealing to me that I wouldn't go back, is Akershus. The Scandanavian cuisine just didn't really appeal to me. Having said that, there are other restaraunts in which the food wasn't "bad", but I probably won't be back because there was nothing about the restaraunt that knocked my socks off, and there are so many restaraunts there to try and I always like to try at least one new on each trip (preferably more than one). I know, it's a very fine line between "the food was crap and I'll never go back" vs "the food was fine, but there are too many other places to try for me to waste one of my ADRs eating there again".

Examples of this latter category include Maya Grill, Boatwrights, and Le Chefs de France. I wouldn't call my food "bad" at any of these places. However, I tried them once and that was enough....at least for a few more visits. They weren't bad such that I would rule out ever eating there again, but there was nothing that really impressed me so much that I would feel the need to go out of my way to eat there again when there are so many other places to try, and so many other restaraunts that I DID like enough to want to go again and again. Now in the case of Maya Grill and Boatwrights, I have this thing where I like to eat at our home resort once per trip....just have an evening where we eat at our hotel, stay on the grounds and enjoy the pool, other activities, or just go back to the room early and lay in bed and watch some TV. And that's what we were doing on the nights when we ate at those restaraunts. We stayed at CSR last year and ate at Maya Grill and we stayed at POR in 2008 and ate at Boatwrights. Were we to stay at either of those resorts again, we may eat at the restaraunt again, but other than that, we've done them once and don't need to go back.

Oh, and now that I've typed all that out, I thought of one other restaraunt that we just didn't like, and would never want to go to again. California Grill at the Contemporary. For a place with a business casual dress code, it was disappointing to see people all over the place in their bermuda shorts and whatnot, and it was way too noisy to enjoy a good meal together. We were eating with another couple and we could hardly have a good visit. I had to raise my voice to be heard and I had to constanly lean in towards my friend to hear what he was saying. And I didn't like the food either. It was either way too gourmet for my tastes, or just too Californian, or maybe both. But I doubt I would ever go back there again.

sbkline

And the above was just Table Service. As far as counter service places go, I made the mistake of getting something at that counter service place in Asia at Animal Kingdom, not too far from Expedition Everest. I don't know much about oriental food I guess and thought the Kung Pow Beef may be good. I didn't realize that all it is is a carton of rice with beef and peppers, like you can buy at the frozen food section of any grocery store. I will never eat there again and I wasn't really too impressed with El Pirate Y El Pirico either

Hrudey3032

The only restaraunt I can think of right off hand whose food was so unappealing to me that I wouldn't go back, is Akershus. The Scandanavian cuisine just didn't really appeal to me. Having said that, there are other restaraunts in which the food wasn't "bad", but I probably won't be back because there was nothing about the restaraunt that knocked my socks off, and there are so many restaraunts there to try and I always like to try at least one new on each trip (preferably more than one). I know, it's a very fine line between "the food was crap and I'll never go back" vs "the food was fine, but there are too many other places to try for me to waste one of my ADRs eating there again".

Examples of this latter category include Maya Grill, Boatwrights, and Le Chefs de France. I wouldn't call my food "bad" at any of these places. However, I tried them once and that was enough....at least for a few more visits. They weren't bad such that I would rule out ever eating there again, but there was nothing that really impressed me so much that I would feel the need to go out of my way to eat there again when there are so many other places to try, and so many other restaraunts that I DID like enough to want to go again and again. Now in the case of Maya Grill and Boatwrights, I have this thing where I like to eat at our home resort once per trip....just have an evening where we eat at our hotel, stay on the grounds and enjoy the pool, other activities, or just go back to the room early and lay in bed and watch some TV. And that's what we were doing on the nights when we ate at those restaraunts. We stayed at CSR last year and ate at Maya Grill and we stayed at POR in 2008 and ate at Boatwrights. Were we to stay at either of those resorts again, we may eat at the restaraunt again, but other than that, we've done them once and don't need to go back.

Oh, and now that I've typed all that out, I thought of one other restaraunt that we just didn't like, and would never want to go to again. California Grill at the Contemporary. For a place with a business casual dress code, it was disappointing to see people all over the place in their bermuda shorts and whatnot, and it was way too noisy to enjoy a good meal together. We were eating with another couple and we could hardly have a good visit. I had to raise my voice to be heard and I had to constanly lean in towards my friend to hear what he was saying. And I didn't like the food either. It was either way too gourmet for my tastes, or just too Californian, or maybe both. But I doubt I would ever go back there again.

The food was just horrible but service was ok.

Crystal Palace used to be ranked right at the top of the list as a must do for our trip but the last two times we have eaten there we were not happy with the meal. The food was not that good and at that price for a group of 6...not worth it!! We did have a fabulous breakfast at Cape May. LOVED the buffet, price was right, and the characters were great....only 3 but they made it around to our table twice!

The Duck

The T-Rex Cafe' at DTD. While the food was pretty good (BBQ ribs were VERY good), the place is just too noisy. The seating capacity is just under 1,000 (loaded with screaming kids) and there were at least 100 more waiting for a table, walking around looking at the dinosaurs or browsing through the gift shop. Meanwhile, there's loud music playing overhead which you can barely hear over the roaring and bellowing of the dinosaurs. And to top it off, every 20 minutes or so, the place erupts with a meteor shower/light show and explosions which sent the dinos into a tizzy and they start roaring even more! It was fun for a onetime experience, but it was more of a sensory overload than a meal.

nikole

I can't see us going back to 50s Prime Time. It wasn't a bad experience, we just didn't enjoy the food. We really didn't like Hollywood and Vine dinner buffet, and I don't think we will do Sci Fi. again. Must be a Hollywood Studios thing.
Clearly you are also not the "infer a meaning police" lol jk...I think beeb was been ..like he had been wearing a sox hat. I would say that I haven't had a bad dining experience yet but let me tell u about the WAVE!! My husband and I love the Wave (bar) it has always been a special place for us to visit and the bartendars used to know us. Well times a changed like they often do and we went to the Wave and had the two most awful bartenders ever! They were not welcoming and were socially akward

sbkline

The food was just horrible but service was ok.

The service has been fine at every restaraunt I've eaten at there, that isn't an issue with any of them. But even outstanding service cannot outweigh crappy food, or a lack of unique atmosphere...at leat for me.

The food at Maya Grill, for example, was fine. And the service was just fine. However, the restaraunt itself just didn't have a unique atmosphere or theme that wowed me. It was just a regular restaraunt, as opposed to Chef Mickey's, with the characters and the monorail just down below. Or Sci-Fi, with the neat nightime drive in atmosphere. Or 50s Prime Time with it's fun theme. Or T-Rex with it's awesome atmosphere. I could go on and on about neat Disney restaraunts and the theme/atmosphere therein, but Maya Grill was too much like a regular restaraunt I could eat at back home. Again, good food, fine service, just nothing that really wowed me such that I would need to go back. And although I am just a fan of good service as anyone else, I don't go to a restaraunt for that (at least not that alone, no one wants bad service). I go for good food and/or good themeing/atmosphere.

twinnstar

For some people, Whispering Canyon and Primetime are not right for. I have seen these people before, mostly at Whispering Canyon. You can tell them by the astonished look of disbelief about what's happening and tense response to the antics. I bet these people were told by friends or family members you need to go here, you will have a great time and don't really explain what the experience really will be like. I do feel bad for them, especially the ones at breakfast time. Even with the more subdued breakfast you can tell the families that are uncomfortable, they really stand out. If you get to many it really affects the mood of the place.

I wish everyone enjoyed Whispering Canyon as much as me and my family, but I get that not everyone will. So I don't get upset when people say they won't ever eat here again. Like many things, it's an acquired taste. All I can do is wish them luck finding more suitable places to dine. That's the reason WDW has so many choices, something for everyone. From Whispering Canyon all the way to Victoria and Alberts.

i LOVE Whispering Canyon, Ive never had anyone "too intense" there haha...but always did a couple things that made me laugh and i thought were pretty entertaining. Ive always been too scared to go to 50's Prime Time though! From my experience at Whipsering Canyon, they interact with you in a more fun way, but from what Ive heard about Prime Time, they embarrass you and force you to do things...Im not sure Id be into it, although I am curious. My question is though, if the CMs get the feeling that you arent into it/are upset, why would they continue?

harryk

Stopped by Prime Time this past December and noticed that if patrons were 'not into it' they were left alone. Those that joined in with the antics had a much better time and really had fun.
The airplane came into the hanger for those who left food on their plate.
People ate their veggies to qualify for desert, etc.

Fun was had by all around us.

I really enjoyed it - it reminded me of growing up in the '50s, art deco, chrome and formica and all.

danpam1024

Used to love Narcoossees..but it food and service was so bad last time...i doubt we'll go again. It forces us to try new things..so there is a silver lining!

wdwfan4ver

Magic Kingdom
Tony's - Food tasted blah . You can get better Italian food at a different WDW theme park.

Disney Hollywood Studios

Hollywood and vine - food

Downtown Disney

Planet Holleywood - were on the Dinning plan, and waiter gave us someone else's card. That means Hotel key, and theme park access all gone. Next time went there without dining plan, more bad service.

Captain Jack's Restaurant- menu changed, employees being dishonest about when they will reopen after plumbing problem.

Yacht Club Resort
Yachtsmen Steakhouse - got sick there once. Younger brother got sick twice. First time wasn't the restaurant since family didn't know he had garlic allergies. The 2nd time younger brother got sick wasn't garlic related. Might have been food poising. He was so sick that he had to say in the hotel for a day or two.

Disney Dawg88

The T-Rex Cafe' at DTD. While the food was pretty good (BBQ ribs were VERY good), the place is just too noisy. The seating capacity is just under 1,000 (loaded with screaming kids) and there were at least 100 more waiting for a table, walking around looking at the dinosaurs or browsing through the gift shop. Meanwhile, there's loud music playing overhead which you can barely hear over the roaring and bellowing of the dinosaurs. And to top it off, every 20 minutes or so, the place erupts with a meteor shower/light show and explosions which sent the dinos into a tizzy and they start roaring even more! It was fun for a onetime experience, but it was more of a sensory overload than a meal.

I was at DTD soon after T-Rex Cafe opened and wanted to see what it was like so I walked in just to see the place, which in my opinion was pretty cool especially the ice cave room. But everything else that you mentioned I completely agree with, just walking around the place for about five minutes I said to myself - wow it's really loud in here I can't imagine trying to sit down and eat.

TakeMeThere81

We really enjoyed Mama Melrose when we went there Jan 2009

Ones we're not likely to go back to:

San Angel Inn: Went there for lunch. Atmosphere is fun, being where the ride goes through, but the food was ick, very low quality. The kids got chicken tenders. Yes, nothing fancy, but it was like two tenders, overcooked with a side dish of peas and carrots, frozen version. I had shrimp cocktail...it was like ketchup with 4 shrimp. Service was soooo slow. I probably should have ordered a giant margarita to make the experience more enjoyable...

Grand Floridian Cafe. Went there for breakfast. Very unimpressive. Food was bland and stingy portions. Service was soooo slow. One of the few places we left and none of us was even close to being full.

I am not a fan of Pecos Bill. That food sits in my stomach like a rock and I burp it all night long. It was just too heavy imo.

Our Faves:

Breakfast:

Crystal Palace
Ohana's
Chef Mickey's

Lunch/Dinner:

Biergarten
Sunshine Seasons
Flametree BBQ
Trail's End @ Fort Wilderness
Yakitori House-Love their sushi

(We still haven't tried some of the really good ones-but soon!)

Matt and Kelly

Surprised to see all the people staying away from 50's Prime Time Cafe...I loved the experience there. Though, As one poster stated earlier...to each their own.

I really haven't eaten at enough restuarants to say I would ever stay away for good, I've generally been pretty pleased with the dining experiences we've had on our last few trips.

Phonedave

Surprised to see all the people staying away from 50's Prime Time Cafe...I loved the experience there. Though, As one poster stated earlier...to each their own.

I really haven't eaten at enough restuarants to say I would ever stay away for good, I've generally been pretty pleased with the dining experiences we've had on our last few trips.

I have had good 'interaction' and bad 'interaction' there. When it is good, and the whole room gets into it, it can be a load of fun.

One time, the other table got into it as well. The one guy at the other table drew a stick picture of 'mom' with 'stink lines' on it, called her over, and said I did it and was passing it around. She came over to 'punish me' but the other table ratted the first guy out, so he stood in the corner and we threw balled up napkins at him - then got in trouble for that. Then I was told I had to make sure my plate was clean. I went to the bathroom and wet a towel. I shined that plate up cleaner than when it came from the kitchen. I got told I was being a "wise guy" and had to spend some time in the corner.

Other times the person came by and said "here is your food, eat it all" and then left.

Aside far as the food goes, it really does not thrill me. I can't stand the desserts. I know a lot of people like them, but to me they are like eating a bowl of candy.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom