Wonders of Life is Open! (Photos!) 11/26/06

SewIn2Disney

Hi,
Wonders of Life did open as scheduled and will remain open until Dec 31. There are some items that did not open due to operational problems and the decision was made to keep them closed due to the short time this attraction will be open. As of Sat night 11-25 we had all 4 probes in Body Wars flying.We have been working on things since sometime in late Sept to get ready for the opening. Since it no longer has a regular crew to work on it we have been doing extra shifts. A ride cannot just open at will. It must have ride inspection & service PMs completed and recorded on the ride legislation system or the attraction cannot open. These must also be done every day as long as the ride remains open. If we do not complete a PM or we have an inspection where an item does not pass the ride stays closed regardless. From what has been said the attraction is scheduled to open each holiday season but things at WDW can change quickly so who knows. If a sponsor picks up the attraction it may be open always or it could be rehabed or completely changed into something else. So for now enjoy and we will keep working hard to bring you the magic!
What part of WOL do you work at? And what part of the Jersey Shore are you from?

MSTCrow

We visited Wonders of Life today. It was a pretty strange experience. I hadn't been there since I was a kid, and even then all I remember was Body Wars.

It felt like an opened time capsule, as though walking through a ghost town. Hardly anyone was there. The crowds were so thin we had second thoughts that they would even bother running Body Wars. Sure enough after walking the long, empty cue, we arrived at the boarding area to find we would be two of six people to ride in our "probe". Time has not been kind to this ride. It was very warm and musty inside and the special effects in the movie aren't so special anymore.

Next we stepped over to the Sensory Funhouse. We tried three of the exhibits. Two didn't work properly (hot/cold coils and audio antics).

I'd never seen Cranium Command, and I can't believe what a great experience I missed out on as a kid following my loyal-to-the-itenerary parents. The video is showing its age, though, and the theatre preview area had a weird smell to it.

Goofy about Health was playing to an audience of 0. There was a cast member in front of "The Making of Me" with a rope, so I can only assume it's also running.

All in all, this was a weird but nostalgic experience. Between the color scheme and the worn, smelly carpet, the place has a very 1992 feel to it. And yes, we're sadly now in an era where the early '90s are just about as uncool as the '80s.

So long, Wonders of Life. You had a great run in your day.

tirian

I remember when the queue for Body Wars extended into the main area of the pavilion.

*sigh*

As nostalgic as I am about that place, I agree that it's ridiculously outdated and needs to be razed. Epcot needs a new pavilion that inspires wonder, not forces us back into "Blossom" and "Full House" reruns.

dxwwf3

I remember when the queue for Body Wars extended into the main area of the pavilion.

*sigh*

As nostalgic as I am about that place, I agree that it's ridiculously outdated and needs to be razed. Epcot needs a new pavilion that inspires wonder, not forces us back into "Blossom" and "Full House" reruns.

I'm with you completely. Body Wars in the early to mid 90's consistently had one of the longest lines in WDW history. And I think I'm more nostalgic about this pavilion than anything else ever in Epcot, more than even Horizons. But there's no denying that change is needed. And hopefully we will get change and not empty stagnation.

SewIn2Disney

*sigh*

But that's what I love about it! (And what is wrong with Full House reruns?) I love the colors, the look, the feel, etc....that's why I want more pictures! I happen to love the 80's and early 90's decade!

tirian

IMO, Epcot is supposed to be changing constantly, not sitting in the middle of the late 80s/early 90s.

As for the "Full House" comment, "Oh, puhl-eeese, dude!" :lol:

(woo, I watched that too much as a kid :lookaroun )

Imaginationeer

Call me crazy, but when i was there on the last day of operation last year, it was kind of spooky, like something inside there had died. Also, it's a shame CM's have to put on those funky old uniforms.

Tiggerfanatic

We just got back from our trip yesterday - made it to Epcot 3 times but couold never find the pavilion open. :cry: Darn!! I really wanted to take one last trip down memory lane before it closed completely.

zeroFantasy

IMO? They need to tear WoL down and build a roller coaster! Every other park has it! :p

Two simulators in one park right next to each other just don't work. M:S deserve to stay there, not WoL or Body Wars.
There, attack me all you want, but this is what I think :p

kcnole

I think most of us agree. I'd rather see the place open than completely closed down, but it is severely outdated. I'd love to see this place razed and a new grand health or science pavilion raised in its place.

packwingfn

They defnitely need to have something new there. I'm not too sure about a roller coaster. It would feel out of place at EPCOT. As long as its not something Pixar-related :)

I can remember sprinting over to Body Wars after rope drop years ago.

To have something new there only takes a new sponsor. Anybody want to take up a collection? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom