Wonders of Life closed? (And more updates)

Michael72688

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
A thrill ride came. And replaced a family attraction.

A thrill ride came. And replaced a family attraction.

And now you want to close WOL because of ANOTHER thrill? Do you realize how EPCOT will fail in debt because of the lack of long-term effect - having to constantly replace rides to please the thrill-seeker?

If your theory was right that taking out family attractions - instead of making them more appealing for families - then make the Magic Kingdom into one giant coaster.

And stare at why it's not the most popular theme park in the world anymore.

ok I didn't say lets take out all the family attractions and put thrills in there place, I really hate when people put words in my mouth! :fork:

Anyways, I've heard from more than one person that Horizons was not that good of a ride, so once again I'm just going by what I've heard, I think it was great that Horizons was torn down and look what was put in its place, the only ride of its kind in the world!

General Grizz

Original Poster
Horizons was one of a kind, also.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but you said to make WOL into a thrill ride. Why not KEEP the family pavilion, change it around, and then do a thrill ride??

Didn't a LOT of people hate Spaceship Earth? Turned out the VAST majority over 80% didn't hate it.

But Griz...Last time I looked at a calendar it wasn't 1989 anymore. But my Dolorian may be on the fritz.

I have no problem with attractions being replaced/updated with something new and exciting. The issue I have is when attractions are closed with no replacement (Doug Live, 20000 Leagues, Skyway, Millennium Village, etc.). I would also be upset if the balance of extreme rides to other attractions is thrown out of wack. (I don't like to use the word thrill, since even Peter Pan can be thrilling to some.)

Seasonal attractions, while a real downer, have helped WDW keep the attractions being permanently closed (as Burbank has wanted) and allowed more funds to be allocated to areas that are invisible to the guest (maintenance and Showkeeping are two). Hopefully once Burbank gets their head out of the sand (who knows how long that will take, they have them buried quite deep) these attractions will reopen.

Wonders of Life, while a great pavilion is dated. Body Wars, the talk of the town in '89, is now looking dated, and still making people ill. The interactive attractions, one of my favorite things, just dont hold the interest of the general public anymore. The pavillion needs some work. Perhaps a replacement of Body Wars, a new show or two, and some type of interactive game. The weather pavillion mentioned above also sounds really cool.

Future World is in serious need of some help. It no longer demonstrates the future, and really looks and feels dated in many places. It severly lacks "Balance" by that I mean a mix of attraction, all thrilling not boring. Space and Test Track, while cool additions have further ruined the balance, both in that they are next to each other, and that both replaced classic dark rides.

Epcot Management should follow the model of Imagination, and soon The Land, in all their pavillions. Imagination has a dark ride (not the best around!) and a top level 3d movie. And soon the Land will have a boat/dark ride (Living with the land), and Soarin, as well as circle of life (a good film, but boring to young audiences, it cries out for more interactivity).

General Grizz

Original Poster
OnWithTheShow - - I couldn't agree more. Change the pavilion! CREATE a balance!

I think Wonders of Life is a better example. It balanced a Thrill Ride - Body Wars was the BIG hype in 1989! - along with Classic DIsney Show - Cranium Command for the whole family - you can't get much more clever than this! - and Activity Center - like the Image Works at Imagination, but more kid-geared (Sensory Funhouse, etc.)

If WOL can change again - update the feel, have a brand NEW thrill ride, and further the classic experience, it could well be the best EPCOT pavilion!

But if it closes JUST for another thrill ride, the balance is lessening more and more.

Michael72688

but how interesting is it anymore, I know I'm not gonna pay $50 to learn how a baby is made, I think something completely new should be done, like the weather pavillion

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by OnWithTheShow

Future World is in serious need of some help. It no longer demonstrates the future, and really looks and feels dated in many places. It severly lacks "Balance" by that I mean a mix of attraction, all thrilling not boring. Space and Test Track, while cool additions have further ruined the balance, both in that they are next to each other, and that both replaced classic dark rides.

Its funny you say that. This last trip, Me, Tifani, and Kenan spent alot of time, like, really walking thru The Living Seas, and Wonders of Life. When I really looked that stuff, I saw what kind of crazy stuff went down in the 80's. Compared to today, everything on the televisions are SO dated. In the Living Seas, everything bored me, except the New Nemo area, which has most of the same stuff that has always been there, but they made it much more colorful, and something everyone can reconize. I also NEVER, EVER thought that Nemo thing out front could draw the crowds that it did. They should of added that 3 years ago, and saved money on Mission:Space. In the Nemo Area, I had my hands on experience, I got to touch a Stingray (nothing REALLY big) but isnt that what Epcot is about, actually experiencing stuff? If you look at everything at Epcot, it involves you sitting there, and looking at a screen. Is that "experiencing" something you cant anywhere else?(I think Epcot might have a world record for most screens at any park!)...If they decide to go forth with the rest of this Nemo stuff, it would be a great move. They may close a pavilion for awhile, but they are reinventing another one, making it new again. I doubt Disney will be changing WOL anytime soon. It will just remain closed, and open when it needs to.

I think after Soarin opens, it will be a balance...

Mission:Space and Test Track on one side

Soarin and Nemo on the other

thats 4 major E tickets. No matter what Nemo will turn out to be, People themselves will turn it into an e-ticket. Imagine the lines to get into The Living Seas after it opens.

As for WOL, I havent even heard RUMORS of it changing, so I think we got awhile. It will just be used as a people-holder on busy days.

Kenan

The pavillion walkway is now blocked off by little planters. In front of it is a sign that I think reads, "We're sorry, but the Wonders of Life Pavillion is closed. Please look around our other Future World Pavillions." I dont think its that long, but it says something of that sort. If I had a digital camera, I woulda taken a picture and posted it, but since I dont, Im sorry, lol.

surfsupdon

I went to Wonders of Life with my sis purposely last week b/c I knew it would be closing for some time. We explored the entire pavilion and really had a grand ole time as we usually skip that pavilion, and I dont even know why. We rode Body Wars and laughed a lot b/c it was bumpy and fake and all 80s...especially with the preshow warning of how to properly buckle your seatbelt with the actress with the huge frizzy black hair and the vintage Disney "press to lock" gift bag.

The fitness bikes were fun, we even had to wait in a mini line to use them!!

And the other things looked neat and 80ish. The pavilion wa slike a time capsule. And, being in the health and exercise science department at my college, I enjoyed the fun road signs about eating health and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

So, in short, it stinks that the pavilion is closed.

Carrousel Lover

Will we have this same discussion in 5 years for Test Track?

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I do remember the good ol' days (said tongue in cheek - I'm not that old).

I remember WoL, WoM, Horizons. I personally loved Horizons - yup I also love CoP. It's how they made me feel - the song, the story - it's part of the overall experience for me. I do agree that especially in a "Future" pavilion that areas need to be updated - the concern I have is - are we creating the same issues (like gerbils on the endless spinning wheels) with the new rides and their associated technology. Body Wars was the thing back in the late 80's as Test Track and Mission Space are now. In 5 years - or 10 what happens with Test Track and Mission? I am assuming that there is a grand plan. I am in the minority I know but I think Test Track is kinda boring. Where's the theme? I just go to the pavilion to ride the ride and leave. (okay I get into the Escalade or what ever cool car is there at the moment and then I leave) and there is a huge balance issue with MS and TT beside each other that with the close of WoL is even more obvious.

Honestly for me the thrill rides aren't the issue if there is a theme or story or a strong tie in the overall pavilion. When they have no heart and it's a thrill ride for the sake of a thrill ride that makes it easier to become a been there done that or want to have the biggest baddest ride at all times - say when Universal builds a TT ride clone that goes 70 miles an hour or something. I thought The Land (back in the Kraft days) had great tie in with the restaurants serving food grown there and the various shows connecting. I am seeing less and less of that with the rebuilt pavilions, although I do think MS is amazing. If they kept WoL updated with interactive exhibits of today and future and still had Body Wars it would not be as noticeable. Body Wars brought you in (mad me sick actually) but then you played with the "stuff." When everything was dated even the "stuff" becomes less appealing to people. (although I still enjoy that hot/cold thing) Basically they built some things in Innoventions that probably would have fit in WoL - like the paper making/tree exhibit and even the Segway could tie in here. I am afraid they are going to be short sited again with a new pavilion or say it's more cost effective to just run one ride vs. multiple exhibits. Anyone?

p.s. I always understood that Horizons closed due to the structure not that it wasn't visited anymore - was that not true??

DisneyFreak721

Originally posted by Michael72688
but how interesting is it anymore, I know I'm not gonna pay $50 to learn how a baby is made,

EASY now, you're messing with one of my faves there! That's a classic that shouldn't fall prey to the seasonal operations. They should show that in classrooms and late night disney channel!
THATS A CLASSIC! WELL WORTH THE $50.00!

"Whats at the Finish Line!!??"

Bill

Account Suspended
I just want to say that Test Track does indeed suck.:lol: Grizz is right. I'd prefer World of Motion over Test Track any day. And I'd prefer Horizons over Mission: SPACE. Mission: SPACE is a good ride, don't get me wrong. But it should have been built somewhere else. And Test Track? Forget it. Journey to the Center of the Earth is much better. The theming is too lame in Test Track. Come on, where are the animatronics? And now, the car that used to crash itself no longer does. In fact, they replaced it with an SUV! I don't know what they are thinking!

However, there is one good thing I'll say about Test Track... it doesn't break down as much as it used to. :lol:

General Grizz

Original Poster
Re: Will we have this same discussion in 5 years for Test Track?

Originally posted by Carrousel Lover
When they have no heart and it's a thrill ride for the sake of a thrill ride that makes it easier to become a been there done that or want to have the biggest baddest ride at all times - say when Universal builds a TT ride clone that goes 70 miles an hour or something. I thought The Land (back in the Kraft days) had great tie in with the restaurants serving food grown there and the various shows connecting. I am seeing less and less of that with the rebuilt pavilions. . .

Exactly. And those pavilions with "heart" (Imagination) are starting to become more Universal-ish, sorry lol, (small, quick rides with little impact; random props as their queue :( ).

And as for Horizons, I still have to do some contacts. Many people are saying it really did, others are saying no. Anyway . . . feast your eyes on this baby:

747space1.jpg

747space2.jpg

Basically show the amount of space left in and around Mission Space. Originally, Disney was going to push the very small pavilion over to one side to keep space available for a new pavilion. Didn't happen.

With all of that space, I'm sure there could be a catchy Disney song. Or an original character. Or a full scale set. Or a single Audio-Animatronics figure. Or a heart. But, you know? That's not happening.

I say, rework Wonders of Life with a new thrills, etc. - and then use this area either as connection space to Mission Space, then a TRUE Test Track Post-Show (AA shows, etc.), and perhaps even a walk through of tomorrow's living.

TinkerBell9988

I totally agree with Grizz...

These "new" pavillions with these "thrill rides" do not have the original heart the the original pavillions had... They don't have that special meaning that they used to have.

I really loved Horizons... :(

General Grizz

Original Poster
Thanks for being there with me, Tink. Always good to have a nice fairy to sprinkle some pixie dust around the boards. :D :p

They don't have that special meaning that they used to have.

Right. Something about "Horizons" and "Motion" and "Wonders of Life" and "Journey into Imagination"gave the respective pavilions a sense of family, warmth, and ownership. Horizons was like a motherly pavilion . . . Motion's austerity did no different.

Mission Space is cold and cramped. . . while Test Track has zoom after zoom after zoom. . .

Wonders of Life is now unusually peaceful. And, well, closed. If they can crank up Body Wars to a new thrill, inject new life, and "keep the peace," then at least ONE place at EPCOT can be left with population - - AND quality/heart! (The Land will now be a crowded mess because of Soarin'.)

It seems like know-how has gone down the drain. . . and short-term attractions (ala the then-Body Wars) may eventually take their toll into a weak mess called "Discoveryland."

Michael72688

Originally posted by Bill
I just want to say that Test Track does indeed suck.:lol: Grizz is right. I'd prefer World of Motion over Test Track any day. And I'd prefer Horizons over Mission: SPACE. Mission: SPACE is a good ride, don't get me wrong. But it should have been built somewhere else. And Test Track? Forget it. Journey to the Center of the Earth is much better. The theming is too lame in Test Track. Come on, where are the animatronics? And now, the car that used to crash itself no longer does. In fact, they replaced it with an SUV! I don't know what they are thinking!

However, there is one good thing I'll say about Test Track... it doesn't break down as much as it used to. :lol:

Well obviously you like the dullest rides Disney has ever had!

Michael72688

Originally posted by TinkerBell9988
I totally agree with Grizz...

These "new" pavillions with these "thrill rides" do not have the original heart the the original pavillions had... They don't have that special meaning that they used to have.

I really loved Horizons... :(

I'll say it again, times change, peoples interest change, they are going to keep a pavillion open cause a few people like it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom