With Disney buying Marvel what park in WDW will be impacted by this?

sWANNISAX

I think Hollywood Studios is the place for Marvel. particularlly New York Street if it can be expanded. You essentially have a series of smaller studios at that point, with disney studios, pixar studios, lucasfilm studios, and muppet studios. The ToT area is like Old Town Hollywood Studios.

The X-Men with the exception of Storm are not featured at Universal. I say bring on the Danger Room and a Daredevil Coaster and maybe something Avengers themed. I wonder if the fact that the restuarants at Universal are named after Captain America and Fantastic Four would preclude their usage?

janoimagine

Im not sure what impact this will have on the theme park division at all. Disney is probably looking long term on this deal ... I agree with 74'. Marvel has a deal in place with Universal on it's theme parks, as well as a deal in place with Hasbro for Toys, the latter expires in 2017. Paramount Pictures, retains the right to distribute the next five Marvel superhero films.

I personally hope we don't see an influx of Marvel characters to the theme parks. It just doesn't seem to fit IMHO. The only place I see potential is perhaps in DHS. Anyone who thinks we will start seeing the Marvel lineup at Disney anytime soon will probably be severely disappointed.

WDW1974

I think they are refering to this....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/orl-disney-marvel-universal-090209,0,7213696.story

To think Disney isn't going to use Marvel sooner rather than later at WDW is denial. Even if it's just characters.

And anybody who thinks Uni will spend years promoting Marvel is delusional.

The aftershocks are still being felt at Universal and it's parent companies. Guaranteed. :D

So, JT, you're using a story that contradicts everything you are saying to back up what you are saying.

You are a hoot!!!

SirGoofy

So, JT, you're using a story that contradicts everything you are saying to back up what you are saying.

You are a hoot!!!

'74, we still have reports that they may be starting character training for the parks, and leemac said Uni may be trying to get out of the agreement.

jt04

You are a hoot!!!

It says quite clearly that the only characters Disney can't use in WDW are those currently being used at IoA. So that leaves 4990 + Marvel characters that can be used at Walt Disney World.

:D

jt04

'74, we still have reports that they may be starting character training for the parks, and leemac said Uni may be trying to get out of the agreement.

I've been saying this since the deal. Uni will drop Marvel like a hot potato after potter opens.

I'ts easy being green! :D

WDW1974

WIth Disney having the ability to audit Universal's spending re: Marvel merch and marketing, does Disney now have an in to see where else they are spending ? or would only Marvel related materials be available for Disney to view?

Disney has NO right to review anything that isn't a party to Marvel's agreement with Universal.

Also, as soon as the liscencing agreement with Marvel and Universal is over, WDW will jump at the opportunity to incorporate Marvel into their parks. East of the Mississippi will not be a permanent thing.

The agreement has no end. It ends when the parties agree to end it. So long as Uni wants to it gets to keeps its current attractions and characters and Disney can NOT USE THEM.

Period.

The contract is iron clad.

If Disney wants to use some characters no one but comic book junkies know about the day the deal is approved then they would be able to.

And while I agree with you about nothing being permanent, I think it's crazy to assume that this will play out in a few years.

Might there be a day when Spidey can hang next to Snow White in FLA? Sure. But that day is likely many, many, many moons from now.

And people keep missing an important point here. Just like Disney will benefit from the deal, so too will Universal. Whenever Disney markets the characters they'll do so with them being ensconced at IOA in the theme park capital of the world.

Many tourists make no differentiation between Sea World, EPCOT and IOA. They may as well be owned by the same company.

WDW1974

I have not heard they are doing any character training. And if so, so what? They have close to 7,000 characters. If they're casting Spidey and Hulk for the Studios new 'Disney's Amazing World of Marvel Superheros stage show' that would be one thing ... I don't think that's happening.

As for my buddy Leemac, he sometimes runs off at the mouth. I wouldn't doubt by his enthusiasm for the deal that he may have had some part in it. The man also is Disney through and through, he has never set foot in a Universal park to my knowledge. I don't know what he may have said this afternoon but he was very adament that the characters wouldn't be going into existing MK parks (I do think they may be stuck in Shanghai and sold to the Central Government as something 'unique') ... also Leemac isn't infallable ... he wasn't in on Fantasyland ... and he was complaining on LP.com about not getting a position at D23 unlike some websites.

Also, you may notice that what Lee ignores is often as telling as what he says. When I brought up things like Marvel Marts and the rebranded Disney Stores or China theme parks or regional entertainment centers based around the Marvel stable of characters or even Dubailand, he had nothing. Now, maybe I'm off on the above (or some of it) ... but when someone hits close to home with something Disney-related that he can't talk about, he zips up and ignores it.

There's no good business reason whatsoever for UNI to let the characters go ... there really is an upside to having them with Disney's marketing machine behind them.

If I'm Universal why would I care about giving The Mouse $5 if I'm making $100 by having the characters in my park?

WDW1974

It says quite clearly that the only characters Disney can't use in WDW are those currently being used at IoA. So that leaves 4990 + Marvel characters that can be used at Walt Disney World.

No one is debating that. But MOST of those characters aren't well-known at all ... and I very much doubt Disney wants to confuse its guests and send many over to IOA to find Spidey and the gang.

SirGoofy

Very good points. I'll take them one by one.:wave:

I have not heard they are doing any character training. And if so, so what? They have close to 7,000 characters. If they're casting Spidey and Hulk for the Studios new 'Disney's Amazing World of Marvel Superheros stage show' that would be one thing ... I don't think that's happening.

Still even having meet and greets will be a good thing in DHS, if nothing more to get the Power Rangers out.

As for my buddy Leemac, he sometimes runs off at the mouth. I wouldn't doubt by his enthusiasm for the deal that he may have had some part in it. The man also is Disney through and through, he has never set foot in a Universal park to my knowledge. I don't know what he may have said this afternoon but he was very adament that the characters wouldn't be going into existing MK parks (I do think they may be stuck in Shanghai and sold to the Central Government as something 'unique') ... also Leemac isn't infallable ... he wasn't in on Fantasyland ... and he was complaining on LP.com about not getting a position at D23 unlike some websites.

Fair enough. I just know you have said he's reliable, so I took his word as so.

Also, you may notice that what Lee ignores is often as telling as what he says. When I brought up things like Marvel Marts and the rebranded Disney Stores or China theme parks or regional entertainment centers based around the Marvel stable of characters or even Dubailand, he had nothing. Now, maybe I'm off on the above (or some of it) ... but when someone hits close to home with something Disney-related that he can't talk about, he zips up and ignores it

I'm all for some shops and some stuff in China. More reason to travel.

There's no good business reason whatsoever for UNI to let the characters go ... there really is an upside to having them with Disney's marketing machine behind them.

I agree, but I feel like it'll get to a point where they'll have enough.:shrug:

SirGoofy

No one is debating that. But MOST of those characters aren't well-known at all ... and I very much doubt Disney wants to confuse its guests and send many over to IOA to find Spidey and the gang.

From what I gather Disney can use Iron Man and the majority of the X-Men, though.

The Conundrum

I'm going to have to disagree with '74. Disney just paid 4 BILLION dollars for these charecters, ive seen them exploit stuff that for far less. They are going to synergize the ____** out of thse charecters and yes that means in the parks. The same thing they did with Pixar and it only makes sense.

Now Iger is kind of a wuss so I dunno if hes going to let IOA keep them for awhile or find a way to get the marvel charecters onto Disney property asap but you have to consider that Universal may not want the charecters now that they are attached to Disney.

And im going to assume you aren't that familar with comic books because there are plenty of charecters besides spider man and hulk that don't have exposure at Universal including Gambit, ArchAngel, THOR, Silver Surfer, Iron Man, Sub Mariner, The Avengers (Vision, Ant-Man, Wasp,), Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Dr.Strange, Thanos, Loki, Ghost Rider, Shadowcat, The Sentry, Marvelman,The Young Avengers, The Runaways, PowerPack, New Warriors etc.

Ever been to Star Wars Weekends? They bring out EVERY charecter under the sun for meet and greets and parades. Its not always just the famous charecters. Heck they even had Aurra Sing and abunch of charecters I don't even know the names of (and im an enormous SW fan).

Duckberg

Marvel CM's in Training

For the foreseeable future, they will have the 5,000 Marvel characters take over as bus drivers. Wolverine will be driving your bus to the AK and they'll make it all part of the "magic" :lol:

That's Pretty GOOD! Duckberg :ROFLOL:

PS WDW will NEVER be at a loss for security! :D

PalisadesPkteer

WOW..

Two things Uni can do...
1. Keep Marvel and get extra exposure from Disney doing the promoting thus getting money from Disney in a way, but also having to give Disney $ because Disney now owns it.(You have characters in your parks which help your competitor in some way ouch)

2.Drop Marvel to stop from paying Disney $, but now have to pay extra $ to change over the current rides at IOA.

You know.. Disney wins somehow no mater what Uni does.

Disney can reap rewards until Uni decides what to do and no mater what they will win in some way OUCH .......

The Conundrum

WOW..

Two things Uni can do...
1. Keep Marvel and get extra exposure from Disney doing the promoting thus getting money from Disney in a way, but also having to give Disney $ because Disney now owns it.(You have characters in your parks which help your competitor in some way ouch)

2.Drop Marvel to stop from paying Disney $, but now have to pay extra $ to change over the current rides at IOA.

You know.. Disney wins somehow no mater what Uni does.

Disney can reap rewards until Uni decides what to do and no mater what they will win in some way OUCH .......

yea, aside from the headaches reacquiring all the rights, this is all gravey train for Disney from here on in

_Scar

Also, you may notice that what Lee ignores is often as telling as what he says. When I brought up things like Marvel Marts and the rebranded Disney Stores or China theme parks or regional entertainment centers based around the Marvel stable of characters or even Dubailand, he had nothing. Now, maybe I'm off on the above (or some of it) ... but when someone hits close to home with something Disney-related that he can't talk about, he zips up and ignores it.

If I'm Universal why would I care about giving The Mouse $5 if I'm making $100 by having the characters in my park?

Mickey now has to approve anything going into MSI, so IoA is going to have to work with what it has. Disney is so awesome, and yet so mean LOL. Smart move Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom