With Disney buying Marvel what park in WDW will be impacted by this?

hokielutz

There wont be any change or impact at WDW. Universal has licensing for the Marvel characters East of the Mississippi and that would prohibit WDW from using them. Disneyland could do something but it would have to be marketed locally and not on a national level. I think Disney will just sit back and collect. They now not only get paid by Universal for the use of the characters but also a cut of the mandatory merchandising of the Marvel characters at the Universal Park. It is almost like Disney taking partial ownership of IOA... If you can't beat them...Buy them..

just playing devil's advocate... if Marvel becomes the subject of a new parent company (which is now/will be Disney) then wouldn't the status of the licensing contracts not apply to Disney?

granted there could be some clauses in the signed contracts that could trigger an immediate termination/breach of contract to protect Universal's interests... but we can let the lawyers battle that point.

MattyDrums

I think if/when Disney starts to add Marvel to their parks the Imagineers would be able to blend it well enough that even the most hardcore Mickey wanna-be will enjoy it. Its pretty obvious it would have to be DHS since AK and Epcot don't make any sense and MK would be reach. Even though its impossible, I think pulling the Spiderman ride from IOA and plopping it in the right spot in DHS would be great.

It will be interesting when the only adventure in IOA involves Popeye.:hammer:

hokielutz

I think Disney should just buy the rights to all the DC super heroes as it would be pretty cheap as 6 flags is always on the border of bankruptcy etc. anyway and then corner the entire super hero market. :D

Prince Danny (daniel snyder - owner, GM, etc... of the floundering redskins) could use a few extra $$ since his experimental thrust into theme parks has blown up in his face.

$100M defensive linemen who sit out of practice aren't cheap.

Pure revenue stream...

Somewhere down the line Disney will use the Marvel acquisition for attractions and such, but in the near term, its just a pure revenue stream.

The part that really makes me chuckle is the fact that some portion of every bit of money generated at Universal will now make its way into the Disney coffers. I don’t know what that percentage is, but it is enough to impact the bottom line of both companies.

Plus, let’s not forget the amount of anguish it must cause Uni fans with a deep-seeded hatred of all things Disney.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend who is a Philadelphia Flyers fan. I am a New Jersey Devils fan, we both live in South Jersey. South Jersey for the most part is filled with Philadelphia sports fans. When the state announced a new arena in Newark for the Devils to be paid with some tax dollars, I pointed out to him that some small portion of his paycheck was paying for the new arena, he was so “p.o.'d” it was funny. That’s how Uni fans must feel right now.

SirGoofy

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend who is a Philadelphia Flyers fan. I am a New Jersey Devils fan, we both live in South Jersey. South Jersey for the most part is filled with Philadelphia sports fans. When the state announced a new arena in Newark for the Devils to be paid with some tax dollars, I pointed out to him that some small portion of his paycheck was paying for the new arena, he was so “p.o.'d” it was funny. That’s how Uni fans must feel right now.

Except people actually go to Uni...

The Devil's stadium? Not so much.:lol:

Except people actually go to Uni...

The Devil's stadium? Not so much.:lol:

You are so right!!! I love all sports, but its cheaper to fly to WDW than to attend an event!!! The new place is beautiful, one of the best arenas in the league, but it costs a small fortune for just one game. I prefer to sit in the ESPN club and watch a game on tv while enjoying a beer and wings!

By the way Hockey=Arena, Football or Baseball=Stadium... watch your verbiage!!!

lebeau

I sometimes wonder how many Uni-haters have ever actually been to the Universal parks. Many people prefer them to Disney, you know?

GothMickey

I sometimes wonder how many Uni-haters have ever actually been to the Universal parks. Many people prefer them to Disney, you know?

I been there. I don't hate the parks. Just don't like them to much. And if anyone on a DISNEY fan board prefers Universal to Disney, then why are they here? LOL. :shrug:

lebeau

I been there. I don't hate the parks. Just don't like them to much. And if anyone on a DISNEY fan board prefers Universal to Disney, then why are they here? LOL. :shrug:

Personally, I prefer the Disney parks. But there are some things I think Uni does better.

Why wouldn't someone who likes Disney but prefers Uni post on a Disney board?

DocMcHulk

If it where me, the shaded are would be come MarvelLand (name TBD) and possibly even retheme Rock n Rollercoaster...
Marvel_Land.jpg

Chezman1399

The article is interesting sounds like Disney now has control over what goes on in Marvel Island, and they could exert enough pressure on them to void the deal if they really wanted too. However look at it like this, Disney does not need to fit anything Marvel into their parks, the don't need to develop new rides, they have control, and make money off of the rides. There's no need to rush and do anything.

jt04

If it where me, the shaded are would be come MarvelLand (name TBD) and possibly even retheme Rock n Rollercoaster...
Marvel_Land.jpg

Interesting idea. Plus the parking lot next to RnRC (not shaded) is available. Not to mention the BT area. LMA? Hmmm. :lookaroun

DocMcHulk

I'd like to see backlot and LMA to be Pixar.
Obviously the Marvel acquisition changes the long term "master plan" that many insiders have hinted exists. I too see the left of the Hat being Pixar and I see the right being Marvel. The front of the park and the streets would remain largely the same.

It's already been rumored that Pixar place expansion would happen at some point. Obviously the Monsters Inc ride has been put on ice... if not burned, but that building can still be used. The honey i Shrunk the Kids playground area will be rethemed to Bugs Life.. i have no doubt of that. The rest really hinges on what happens to LMA. Torn out? Rethemes? Replace the car show with some sort of a stage show (allowing the bleachers to be reused)? And the backlot tour is all but gone in the long term.

jt04

I'd like to see backlot and LMA to be Pixar. They should expand behind animation courtyard to the area behind.

I'm guessing there could be enough land for Pixar and Marvel. I'd hate to see the Animation Courtyard go. It's a shame DHS is so confined. A Marvel overlay of LMA has to be tempting to Disney. The next few years should be fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom