Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Looking at the release calendar, what could undercut this film at the box office?

I don't see much, maybe Wonka. There's a chance it could leg out in the coming couple of weeks, I agree, next week's box office will be a big indicator of this film's success. Not the best start, but it's too early to tell its long term success.
The biggest threats to “undercut” it is it’s bad and/or people don’t want to see it

But that’s not “baked in” as it stands

Vegas Disney Fan

People are hoping this will play like Elemental, but keep in mind Elemental had a higher RT score (for both critics and audiences) and a higher Cinemascore than Wish. It also benefited from a lack of family competition during the summer.

It’s wild that in only a year the discussion has gone from whether a Disney movie will break a billion to whether or not it’ll break even.

Elemental barely broke even, that’s not a lofty goal, but certainly beats losing hundreds of millions.

Disney Analyst

It’s wild that in only a year the discussion has gone from whether a Disney movie will break a billion to whether or not it’ll break even.

Elemental barely broke even, that’s not a lofty goal, but certainly beats losing hundreds of millions.

I think at this rate, with how things have been 2020 to now, breaking even or making a small
profit is a win.

celluloid

Looking at the release calendar, what could undercut this film at the box office?

Define undercut in this context. It does not have to be a future release. I think it is already underperforming a lot to the spin off of Hunger Games that cost half the budget.

celluloid

I think at this rate, with how things have been 2020 to now, breaking even or making a small
profit is a win.

The thing is, now the annual box office is back up to a year where there is going to be 8 billion plus in revenue. In 2020 it was 2 billion.

In 2023, with the billion in box office sales up from last year, Disney lost about a billion plus in their main source of revenue for their company. Mother other ships rose, Disney's was the one that lost the most.

They did not have an Oppenheimer, a Missing, a Barbie, Hunger Games, Five Nights at Freddy's, a Holdovers, a Sound of Freedom, an Exorcist: Believer, A Spiderman: Across the Spider verse, A Nun, a M3GAN, a Jesus Revolution, a Talk to Me, a Thanksgiving Evil Dad Rise, Mario or even a John Wick Chapter 4.

All of the above films doubled, tripled or quadrupled their budget in domestic alone and a few even more than that.

Plenty of movies from various studios have had a flop or meh. But Disney only had Guardians as a theatrical win.

And now we could not even save it with Disney's biggest promoted animation in years and since years.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Not even close.
FYI:
Perhaps you know something he doesn't, but the president of Pixar, when interviewed in August as the film was rebounding, said he hoped it would end up making $460 million—it went on to make considerably more than that—and that "it should do better than break even theatrically" based on his expectations. I can only interpret that as meaning that his hoped-for figure of $460 million is above the break-even point.

Ghost93

Listening to the soundtrack again, I wonder if the song "At All Costs," sung between Asha and King Magnifico in the film, was initially supposed to be a love song between Asha and Star, back in the earlier versions of development when Star could take a humanoid form and speak with Asha. The song sounds very much like a love song and I wouldn't be at all surprised if, after they decided to ditch the "Starboy" version of Star, the mindset was "hmm, maybe we can find some way to repurpose it!"

Figment1984

Listening to the soundtrack again, I wonder if the song "At All Costs," sung between Asha and King Magnifico in the film, was initially supposed to be a love song between Asha and Star, back in the earlier versions of development when Star could take a humanoid form and speak with Asha. The song sounds very much like a love song and I wouldn't be at all surprised if, after they decided to ditch the "Starboy" version of Star, the mindset was "hmm, maybe we can find some way to repurpose it!"
Yes, this was brought up earlier. If you listen to the demo of the song (was uploaded on YouTube) the initial lyrics were “love you as one does” and they changed it to “promise as one does”. No evidence this was sung by Asha and Star, but not sure who else this could have been for.

TalkingHead

Magenta Panther

Welp.

This thing was originally projected at 50 million 5-day too. And even that wasn't that great.

We'll have to see what this flick does in overseas box office, to see if it even has a chance to break even. Frankly, I doubt it.

FettFan

Long about now, I'm just going with "no more remakes".

To be fair, a snow white remake would probably kick if it was produced and directed by Peter Jackson.

Unfortunately it would also be turned into a 9-hour trilogy and full of additional original characters and subplots.

As much as I enjoy his take on The Hobbit, we really didn’t need Azog the Defiler (who is long dead in the original book) becoming the main villain and getting three times the screen time as Smaug.
Nor did we need Legolas showing up and acting like a total (censored) over a bizarre love triangle with a PJ created character.

crispy

Ghost93

Ouch. I am really surprised by these numbers. I thought this would be the one surefire hit of the year.
If the movie was great, it would do better. It was marketed well enough. Unfortunately, it got — at best — a mixed critical reception.

It's a real shame that the great Disney movies in recent years — Encanto, Soul, Luca, Turning Red, etc. — got limited theatrical releases or were sent straight to streaming while their mediocre films like Lightyear and Wish got the gigantic theatrical rollout.

MrPromey

While I understand the desire not to have romantic relationships define female characters, I DO kinda miss the Disney romances. That's part of why I liked Elemental so much.

If Disney wanted to do a future romance movie, I don't think it would be seen as regressive since Moana, Merida, Raya, Asha and Vaneloppe have all been leading ladies of Disney/Pixar movies without any sort of romance.
It's simple. Make it a movie where the dude needs saving.

Love story in the opening. Bad person wants something the heroin has, can do, or can get.

I say, has special ability to somehow get that others don't posses..

Has their people destroy their home and take him prisoner and will only give him back if she does x, y, z.

So begins her adventure where she discovers that giving them what they want would end in some sort of catastrophe - maybe the macguffin ends up being a child or just something that in the wrong hands could destroy the world or whatever...

I'm going to go with it being a child that has a special power - she can get it because of some sort of cosmic link. Also, lets establish in the beginning that she and her guy can't have a child of her own just to set up the ending both for her personal conflict in doing what she has to do once she discovers this thing she thought would be an object was a child and also for the ending-ending...

Anyway instead of turning this kid over to the evil one, she uses the macguffin's power and/or the help of the team she originally formed on the way to get said macguffin to go after the evil one and rescue her true love which puts him in more serous danger as a result but he totally gets it when he sees what she's protecting as she does all this... ends with new big found family and them having the child they were always meant to.

Fin

Love story - hero's a girl and her entire motivation starts out being about saving her man, then she feels like she has to make the impossible choice of choosing between her man and an innocent only to take a different path... maybe to make all the people that feel threatened about the dude needing rescuing, something can happen in the final battle where he steps in to save the child only to almost die himself and the child's powers save him (steal a little from Tangled, there) or some other similar thing - that way everyone's a hero, everyone gets a trophy and everyone's happy.

Disney, send me a PM and lets make this happen. I've already got a few ideas for the intial sidekick that totally won't be a donkey.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom