Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Joel

Assuming you are referring to Elemental, Disney is happy with its results.
I think Disney execs are probably relieved with how it did -- especially considering how weak it opened -- but PR fodder posted on the corporate website is not proof of what they actually think. That's even sillier than people who think every statement made in an earnings call is 100% gospel truth because otherwise the CEO would get perp-walked.

Advisable Joseph

I think Disney execs are probably relieved with how it did -- especially considering how weak it opened -- but PR fodder posted on the corporate website is not proof of what they actually think. That's even sillier than people who think every statement made in an earnings call is 100% gospel truth because otherwise the CEO would get perp-walked.
If professionals really thought that article was unbelievable, investors would have roasted the company about it, which didn't happen.

Many people here want to ignore reality to make their doomsday scenario come true. This hurts people! This hurt someone on the thread already.

TsWade2

If professionals really thought that article was unbelievable, investors would have roasted the company about it, which didn't happen.

Many people here want to ignore reality to make their doomsday scenario come true. This hurts people! This hurt someone on the thread already.
If you’re talking about me, I deserved it! 🥺

TsWade2

Remember that Disney has had slumps before and bounced back. Rest assured that this isn’t the end of Disney animation.
Okay, but Disney will pretend Wish did not exist like they did with Black Cauldron. Maybe it’s better if they just do sequels from now on, because I feel people don’t want original stories anymore.

_caleb

I just want to congratulate all those posters here who have been rooting against every Disney film in recent months. Seems like Wish might be another “win” for you to celebrate!

Those of us who recognize the magnitude of the changes to the industry will continue to watch as Disney tries to navigate the post-box-office movie business. These are interesting times!

_caleb

It's simple. Make it a movie where the dude needs saving.

Love story in the opening. Bad person wants something the heroin has, can do, or can get.

I say, has special ability to somehow get that others don't posses..

Has their people destroy their home and take him prisoner and will only give him back if she does x, y, z.

So begins her adventure where she discovers that giving them what they want would end in some sort of catastrophe - maybe the macguffin ends up being a child or just something that in the wrong hands could destroy the world or whatever...

I'm going to go with it being a child that has a special power - she can get it because of some sort of cosmic link. Also, lets establish in the beginning that she and her guy can't have a child of her own just to set up the ending both for her personal conflict in doing what she has to do once she discovers this thing she thought would be an object was a child and also for the ending-ending...

Anyway instead of turning this kid over to the evil one, she uses the macguffin's power and/or the help of the team she originally formed on the way to get said macguffin to go after the evil one and rescue her true love which puts him in more serous danger as a result but he totally gets it when he sees what she's protecting as she does all this... ends with new big found family and them having the child they were always meant to.

Fin

Love story - hero's a girl and her entire motivation starts out being about saving her man, then she feels like she has to make the impossible choice of choosing between her man and an innocent only to take a different path... maybe to make all the people that feel threatened about the dude needing rescuing, something can happen in the final battle where he steps in to save the child only to almost die himself and the child's powers save him (steal a little from Tangled, there) or some other similar thing - that way everyone's a hero, everyone gets a trophy and everyone's happy.

Disney, send me a PM and lets make this happen. I've already got a few ideas for the intial sidekick that totally won't be a donkey.
Hmm. I wonder why Disney hasn’t just gone with this approach, since it’s so simple. Hopefully they call you soon!

Joel

PR fluff "news" like that is largely irrelevant. Short of stating outright ridiculous falsehoods ("Elemental is the highest grossing film of all time!"), that article was never even going to be read by most "professionals", let alone cause a reaction. That doesn't mean Disney is super happy with how it did. And just for the record, I liked the movie.

Magenta Panther

It’s the end of Disney Animation.😢
Disney has to continue with animation, or else it has nothing to offer consumers other than Iger's acquisitions, which at present aren't too healthy either.

What would be nice is if Iger would finally learn the lesson. And show it. A good start would be if he did a major purge in his corporate offices. Get rid of the agenda people. Bring back creatives that have left the company, like Pete Docter. Assure the public that the company is going in a new direction - or rather in the old direction - the Walt direction. Keep out of the culture wars. Focus on wholesome, creative family entertainment. Maybe, if he did that, the public that's currently angry at and avoiding Disney would eventually trust it again. But that's going to be very difficult, if it's possible at all.

LittleBuford

I just want to congratulate all those posters here who have been rooting against every Disney film in recent months. Seems like Wish might be another “win” for you to celebrate!

Those of us who recognize the magnitude of the changes to the industry will continue to watch as Disney tries to navigate the post-box-office movie business. These are interesting times!
At least the surprise resilience of the Hunger Games prequel might put an end to the “Rachel Zegler is box-office poison” narrative.

Advisable Joseph

What's a little odd:
Disney’s Wish gets an A- CinemaScore which isn’t shabby, just under Thanksgiving princess pics Encanto (A) and Tangled (A+) and Frozen (A+), but the same as Frozen II (A-). Family and kids under 12 gave the animated pic 4.5 stars out of 5 on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak. Wish is 3 1/2 stars with general audiences and 71%. Overall 65% women to 35% men. Get this: guys liked it better than women, 80% to 65%. Might be that bubbly star in the movie that’s warming dudes’ hearts. Women over 25 were the biggest turnout at 37% (67% grade), women under 25 at 24% (62% grade), men under 25 at 22% (80% grade), and men over 25 at 17% (also 80% grade).
From

So kids and families love the film, and men like it too. i guess ladies felt like they were bait-and-switched, expecting Tangled 2: Who Is Rapunzel's Stylist Anyway?

You would think with those results Wish should have some sort of success somewhere.

LittleBuford

What's a little odd:

From

So kids and families love the film, and men like it too. i guess ladies felt like they were bait-and-switched, expecting Tangled 2: Who Is Rapunzel's Stylist Anyway?

You would think with those results Wish should have some sort of success somewhere.
Perhaps it’ll have a disappointing opening but do well in the long-run.

Advisable Joseph

PR fluff "news" like that is largely irrelevant. Short of stating outright ridiculous falsehoods ("Elemental is the highest grossing film of all time!"), that article was never even going to be read by most "professionals", let alone cause a reaction. That doesn't mean Disney is super happy with how it did. And just for the record, I liked the movie.
That was on the website for investors, not the one for general audiences. Again, the president of Pixar said
We have a lot of different revenue streams, but at the box office we’re looking at now, it should do better than break even theatrically. And then we have revenue from streaming, theme parks and consumer products. This will certainly be a profitable film for the Disney company.
From

Phroobar

Screenshot 2023-11-24 112957.png

TalkingHead

Disney has to continue with animation, or else it has nothing to offer consumers other than Iger's acquisitions, which at present aren't too healthy either.

What would be nice is if Iger would finally learn the lesson. And show it. A good start would be if he did a major purge in his corporate offices. Get rid of the agenda people. Bring back creatives that have left the company, like Pete Docter. Assure the public that the company is going in a new direction - or rather in the old direction - the Walt direction. Keep out of the culture wars. Focus on wholesome, creative family entertainment. Maybe, if he did that, the public that's currently angry at and avoiding Disney would eventually trust it again. But that's going to be very difficult, if it's possible at all.
Docter’s still at Pixar, isn’t he?

Seems the problem with Disney is every narrative and character beat is vetted for possible offense to the point that the final product is anodyne and bland.

Which means only certain identities can be villains, certain identities must be heroic, certain themes can’t be touched on, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom